Author Topic: Atheist Kicked Off TV Show: What do you think?  (Read 2632 times)

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
Re: Atheist Kicked Off TV Show: What do you think?
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2013, 05:10:53 PM »
I think I get what MM is saying. He seems to be trying to highlight there's a difference between gnostic atheism and atheism. To say 'there is no God' is misrepresentative of atheism because it's a gnostic statement, when atheism itself is not exclusively gnostic. For example, agnostic atheists like myself.

So in reality, we've got a Christian here who seemingly knows what 'atheism' is. We don't get that very frequently, so rejoice. ;)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 05:12:45 PM by Seppuku »
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2013, 08:08:12 AM »
The way I see it, there is a big difference between a display highlighting what someone believes, which I don't necessarily think is offensive, vs a display discrediting and belittling a belief, which I might think WAS potentially hurtful to someone's sensibilities.

I might be on the atheist side of the fence, but if the question is simply one of one type of display being more potentially offensive than another, I would have to say that for me, personally, I could understand the concept of the banner being hurtful more than I could the nativity scene. I've seen theists react as though the very notion of something which denies their god has wounded them to the heart, whereas, to the atheist, it would seem that the biggest reaction one could summon up to a nativity display might be a sense of ridicule or frustration, and even that seems a bit of an overreaction in the major scheme of things. Seeing a nativity display doesn't hack away at something I hold dear the way the banner might for a Christian.

I suppose that overall, I tend much more toward a "live and let live" perspective anyway, though. I can appreciate the fact that for the type of atheist who sees religion as a cancer within society, the nativity display might, indeed, be a painful thing to behold, but the overreactions on both sides of the spectrum are a bit perplexing to me.

Offline UnixMS

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2013, 07:29:04 PM »
Hi,

Being new here and choosing this thread as one of my first to read, I was compelled to respond. The initial question was about an atheist (Dan Barker) being kicked off a TV show and "what I think" about it.

Mr. Barker is an ex-christian (in fact an ex-evangelist) that became a leader in the non-religious community (aka FFRF). His 'beef' with the nativity scene is that it's on public (city) property and is used completely for religious displays with no allowance for an alternative viewpoint or display. He's also adamant about the need for a true separation of church and state especially in cases where the governmental body provides a special dispensation to a religious entity or organization.

My 'thinking' is similar in that religious expression is acceptable if and only if all sides have an opportunity to voice or show their perspective. Perhaps I should say that it's my wish as our "christian" nation sees things differently.

/unixms

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2013, 03:25:29 PM »
You're explaining why he was talking to FAUX NOISE not why he got kicked off. Two separate things.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline jsmacks

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2013, 05:22:12 AM »
For one, he definitely didn't answer the guys question about who complained, he just brushed it off and stated it was irrelevant.

Probably a good idea to try to help the people in town who complained stay anonymous.   

Offline jsmacks

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2013, 05:28:12 AM »
I lost interest after the nice lady mentioned 'flying spaghetti monster' about 2 minutes in. This group needs an atheist with a bit of linguistic flair. I'd be happy to write Kin Hell a reference. And Parking Places.

NOT YOU THOUGH, MEDIAN!

edit: to poke gentlish fun at Median's annoying overuse of capitals and exclamation marks.

I thought that was a little unrelated but Fox kicking him off of their show more reinforces the idea of their closeminded ways.  He seemed only slightly rude and they pretty much in my book kicked him off for no reason. 

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2013, 08:51:49 AM »
"In my opinion he was only slightly rude and therefore shouldn't have been kicked off."

Rude is rude no matter the level. Take it from a guy who is rude all the time to everyone.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2013, 10:23:50 AM »
Fox's rudeness (Bill O'reilly UHUM!) goes far beyond that of my man Dr. Barker. FAUX NOISE is FAUX NOISE.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2013, 02:07:51 AM »
Fox's rudeness (Bill O'reilly UHUM!) goes far beyond that of my man Dr. Barker. FAUX NOISE is FAUX NOISE.

Irrelevant. One does not put out a fire with more fire.

-Nam

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2013, 09:47:56 AM »
Actually, in some cases one CAN put out a fire with more fire. They do this with burning oil fields all the time ;)
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2013, 04:15:45 AM »
Actually, in some cases one CAN put out a fire with more fire. They do this with burning oil fields all the time ;)

Well, when you put it that way...I retract. :P

-Nam