Author Topic: Atheist Kicked Off TV Show: What do you think?  (Read 2887 times)

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
Atheist Kicked Off TV Show: What do you think?
« on: June 18, 2013, 02:40:18 AM »

It seems fundy Christians who run TV shows can't stand reasoned argument or facts. Watch this video and speak your mind. What say you?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Atheist Kicked Off TV Show: What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 03:38:15 AM »
I hate to side with the FAUX NOISE guy but the atheist, in that video, was being extremely rude and disrespectful to the host. For one, he definitely didn't answer the guys question about who complained, he just brushed it off and stated it was irrelevant. Secondly, going by the Bible: Biblegod created hell not Jesus but his real problem seemed to be that he was speaking as if Jesus is Biblegod. That's the reasoning of a Christian, not an atheist.

If he stuck to the premise that the Nativity scene was on public property and not ranted and purposely (knowingly, or not) just insult Jesus, Christianity, etc., as a whole. I think he would have faired much better.

Also, these are not the battles atheists should be fighting. These are minor things. Stop dealing with individual minor things that, in truth and in my opinion, make atheist look petty.

Go after the things that effect a vast majority of people. Not Nativity scenes, or Christmas trees, or the like.

Idiotic.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 04:09:35 AM »
I lost interest after the nice lady mentioned 'flying spaghetti monster' about 2 minutes in. This group needs an atheist with a bit of linguistic flair. I'd be happy to write Kin Hell a reference. And Parking Places.

NOT YOU THOUGH, MEDIAN!

edit: to poke gentlish fun at Median's annoying overuse of capitals and exclamation marks.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 04:12:27 AM by magicmiles »
Go on up you baldhead.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 05:27:00 AM »
The part he's referencing is a 1:47 into the video. Skip the rest.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-14
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 07:50:31 AM »
well I though he was kicked off a bit prematurely but,  ultimately I don't belive he worked the point.  Nativity scene is fine,  the crux of the matter was mentioned but glossed over.  Why can't atheists put up their stupid banner.

Personally I like christmas, christmas trees, and egg nog.  I am not a theist but I like the traditions.  But I do believe the state has an obligation to allow others to use the public land in a tasteful way.  I am torn as to whether this is a respectful way though.   the atheists banner is somewhat disrecpectful, I think they could clean it up and just say support reason logic and science.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 10:09:10 AM »
How do we know this guy is a real atheists and not a FOX plant to make atheists look bad?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 10:12:29 AM »
How do we know this guy is a real atheists and not a FOX plant to make atheists look bad?

If you don't know who Dan Barker is, then I guess you must not be much of an activist in this area.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 12:27:02 PM »
I lost interest after the nice lady mentioned 'flying spaghetti monster' about 2 minutes in. This group needs an atheist with a bit of linguistic flair. I'd be happy to write Kin Hell a reference. And Parking Places.

NOT YOU THOUGH, MEDIAN!

edit: to poke gentlish fun at Median's annoying overuse of capitals and exclamation marks.

I can do what I want. It's my computer, my writing style, and my preference - thx. Regarding the reference...NO THANKS. I wouldn't want it if you were offering.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 06:50:23 PM »

I was thinking the same thing. It's not like it's beneath them, or anything.

-Nam

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 12:16:18 AM »

YouTube...

Dan Barker is a pretty well known and outspoken atheist guys. His book "Losing Faith in Faith" played a major roll in my deconversion. He also has a relatively new book out called Godless. It is excellent.

Offline Odin

• Reader
  • Darwins +13/-3
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 03:37:46 AM »
Personally I like christmas, christmas trees, and egg nog.  I am not a theist but I like the traditions.

A local atheist I know was talking about going to a Unitarian Universalist Church for Christmas services.  I asked him why he went, and he replied that he liked to practice a little "recreational Christianity" at Christmastime. 

Odin, King of the Gods

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 07:16:34 AM »

-Nam

I'll say the same thing to you that I did to Nick:  If you don't know who Dan Barker is, then I guess you must not be much of an activist in this area.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 10:05:41 AM »
I think what we meant is that you have to take FOX News contributors with a grain of salt.  I know this guy is legit.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 03:10:09 PM »
Dan Barker is a pretty well known and outspoken atheist guys. His book "Losing Faith in Faith" played a major roll in my deconversion. He also has a relatively new book out called Godless. It is excellent.

I like Barker's books a lot - same with me, a major help in the deconversion... However, I don't think the rapid fire debate is generally his best arena.  He's pretty laid back and doesn't have the bulldog mentality of, say a Hitchens.
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 04:46:55 PM »

-Nam

I'll say the same thing to you that I did to Nick:  If you don't know who Dan Barker is, then I guess you must not be much of an activist in this area.

I am not an activist at all and it doesn't take away from my opinion.

[EDIT]

Oh, and I don't give a shit who he is.

-Nam
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 04:48:33 PM by Nam »

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 08:35:28 PM »

I like Barker's books a lot - same with me, a major help in the deconversion... However, I don't think the rapid fire debate is generally his best arena.  He's pretty laid back and doesn't have the bulldog mentality of, say a Hitchens.

DAMN I MISS HITCHENS...

Offline DumpsterFire

• Graduate
  • Darwins +61/-0
  • The Flaming Duck of Death!
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 12:09:06 AM »
The hypocrisy in the host saying, "I'm a Christian, and this nativity scene is not offensive." is incredibly exasperating. So a display on public land that supports your world view is not offensive to you? Well no shit, Sherlock, but not everyone shares your perspective!

The response to this could (and really should) have been, "I'm an atheist, and a banner that states that there is no god, heaven, or hell is not offensive."

They would both have made the exact same statement, essentially, and it would have painted the host into a corner and forced him to explain how the banner is unacceptable but the nativity is OK, which would be logically impossible. Not that he wouldn't try...
Providing rednecks with sunblock since 1996.

I once met a man who claimed to be a genius, then boasted that he was a member of "Mesa".

Think for yourself.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 12:13:31 AM »

"I'm an atheist, and a banner that states that there is no god, heaven, or hell is not offensive."

...albeit misreprenentative of atheism
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 02:08:19 AM »

"I'm an atheist, and a banner that states that there is no god, heaven, or hell is not offensive."

...albeit misreprenentative of atheism

There are no "representatives" of atheism b/c atheism is not a belief - but we've already been over this, haven't we.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 02:46:00 AM »
Yes. The banner quoted/suggested was espousing a belief, though, wasn't it?
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2013, 03:24:23 AM »
It's representative of gnostic atheism, but not necessarily atheism as a whole. I'm an agnostic atheist and I don't believe there's "no god" I just don't believe there are any gods. A lot of people don't understand the difference, but it is pretty significant. ;)

Still, I don't find it offensive. I think if Christians are allowed banners to suggest I'm going to hell, it should be okay to have banners suggesting their God isn't real. Either it's all okay or none of it is.

With this video, I think the guy lets Fox focus on the idea it's a nativity scene and a display of religious imagery and how it offends, when he should have focused more on his point that it's a government building showing exclusivity to a Christian scene in a multicultural country. And also focus on the point about atheistic banners. He said it's okay on private property or on a church, he should really have driven in that point because Fox news is a channel that likes to present atheists are a group of people who want to deny Christians their rights and to push them underground. When it reality what many of these atheist organisations is for religion to be taken out of government, to not be forced onto people and if people wish to celebrate or worship their deity, do it on their own terms and not bring everybody else into it. He could really have put emphasis on the fact it was government property and how it's perfectly fine for people to display the nativity scene, just not on government property that's paid for by tax payers, including atheists, Muslims, Sikhs, Hindus, Buddhists, Pagans, Satanists and so on.

If they had somebody like Henry Rollins instead, well I am sure it would have been a beautiful pwnage of Fox News. The man knows how to use the English language.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2013, 04:01:33 AM »

Another red-herring. Whether or not the banner espoused a belief or not is irrelevant to the subject of one particular religious symbol/affiliation being displayed on public property. Should we allow Muslim displays on public property, voted in by Muslim American committees? You can't have your cake and eat it too (which was one of Mr. Barker's points).

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2013, 04:47:08 AM »
^yet said in rambles.

-Nam

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2013, 07:15:06 AM »

Another red-herring. Whether or not the banner espoused a belief or not is irrelevant to the subject of one particular religious symbol/affiliation being displayed on public property. Should we allow Muslim displays on public property, voted in by Muslim American committees? You can't have your cake and eat it too (which was one of Mr. Barker's points).

You've read way too much into my remark. Moving on.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2013, 11:34:09 AM »

You've read way too much into my remark. Moving on.

Then perhaps you didn't communicate properly, or (the one I find more likely) you're just back pedaling now that you realize you just lost this one. It really makes me feel the love of Jesus from you!

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2013, 06:39:57 PM »
Fine. Let me clear this up for you, Median.

Would you agree that atheism is best represented by the statement "There is no God, heaven, oe hell" ?

No? Me either. And that's all I was saying. Nothing more. Nothing to do with where that message might be displayed. It was an off-the-cuff comment.

I trust that this helps.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline grant

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2013, 06:39:24 AM »
That video made me feel queasy. I'm glad I'm not an american.
What if the hokey pokey is what its all about?

Offline DumpsterFire

• Graduate
  • Darwins +61/-0
  • The Flaming Duck of Death!
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2013, 03:43:10 AM »
Would you agree that atheism is best represented by the statement "There is no God, heaven, oe hell" ?
As has been established in umpteen threads to this point, most atheists are agnostic in that they would acknowledge the possibility of a god, but recognize the probability that there are none.

However, the point was that most atheists wouldn't find a banner stating god, heaven, and hell are myths to be offensive. The host is saying the nativity scene is OK because he does not find it offensive, and turnabout is fair play.
Providing rednecks with sunblock since 1996.

I once met a man who claimed to be a genius, then boasted that he was a member of "Mesa".

Think for yourself.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2013, 09:04:58 PM »
As has been established in umpteen threads to this point, most atheists are agnostic in that they would acknowledge the possibility of a god, but recognize the probability that there are none.

I know that.

However, the point was that most atheists wouldn't find a banner stating god, heaven, and hell are myths to be offensive.

I know that. That's why I prefaced my original comment with 'allbeit'.

I've never known such a simple comment be taken so much the wrong way.  &)

Go on up you baldhead.