Author Topic: Supremes Rule on Voting Rights  (Read 110 times)

Offline shnozzola

Supremes Rule on Voting Rights
« on: June 25, 2013, 07:22:34 PM »

This photo shows about half of the line waiting to vote, only some twenty minutes into the voting day at the Stonewall Middle School November 6, 2012 in Manassas, Prince William County, Virginia.

“Throwing out preclearance when it has worked and is continuing to work to stop discriminatory changes is like throwing away your umbrella in a rainstorm because you are not getting wet,” Ginsburg wrote.

Justice Ginsburg Slams Supreme Court’s ‘Hubris’ In Fiery Dissent On Voting Rights Act

Love that old girl.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2013/06/ruth-bader-ginsburg-voting-rights-act-dissent.php
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 07:25:59 PM by shnozzola »
The irony is with freewill.  Atheism realizes we don't have it, while the fundamentals of theism demand it but don't want it.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
Re: Supremes Rule on Voting Rights
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 08:23:49 PM »
Texas did not waste any time.  They already put out a voter ID change.  By 2014 I'm sure only white people will have an easy time voting.  We keep telling other countries they need to be democratic.  Remember the people in Iraq getting purple fingers to show they voted?  Then we try to keep people from voting here.  The republican party sees the future and knows their only hope is to restrict voting s much as possible.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +272/-77
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 07:21:25 AM »
I guess the South will rise again. A new bill will fly through the Senate but the House; I don't think so. The Republican elections in 2016 are looking good for the Republicans now.

I wonder if Thomas realized when he voted against Civil Rights Act that he was voting against himself?

-Nam

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 07:26:01 AM »
You would think that in this age we could make voting easier.  Why not allow those who pay taxes (record with IRS in form of tax form) to vote online.  Would cut down on lines at polling places and might even increase voting.  I'm also a fan of early voting.  Who can go wait in lines for hours on a working day?  But then that would require a government that wants its people to vote.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +272/-77
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 02:56:38 AM »
Computers can be too easily hacked, I think. Probably one of the reasons they don't do it.

-Nam