Author Topic: On Dr Eben Alexander  (Read 197 times)

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +556/-22
  • Karma mooch
On Dr Eben Alexander
« on: January 03, 2014, 08:36:13 AM »
esquire has a piece on the neurosurgeon who wrote the preposterously stupid Proof of Heaven.
http://www.esquire.com/features/the-prophet?click=smart&kw=ist&src=smart&mag=ESQ&link=http://www.esquire.com/features/the-prophet
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 11:32:11 AM by screwtape »
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Graybeard

• Professor
  • Darwins +407/-13
  • Is this going somewhere?
Re: On Dr Even Alexander
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 09:58:11 AM »
esquire has a piece on the neurosurgeon who wrote the preposterously stupid Proof of Heaven.
http://www.esquire.com/features/the-prophet?click=smart&kw=ist&src=smart&mag=ESQ&link=http://www.esquire.com/features/the-prophet
Before Proof of Heaven made Dr. Eben Alexander rich and famous as a "man of science" who'd experienced the afterlife, he was something else: a neurosurgeon with a troubled history and a man in need of reinvention.

If you look at the picture, he also needs someone to advise him whether jackets fit or not.

Edit to add:

After reading that excellent piece of journalism, it is clear that there is a category of deluded person who is believed. Believed, not because what they say is reality - although their own brain has created that reality for them - but because some people would want it it be reality.

The Dalai Lama is no man's fool.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 11:35:08 AM by Graybeard »
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Online xyzzy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +45/-0
  • "Nothing happens"
    • xyzzy
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 01:32:41 AM »
That was such an interesting article, I almost managed to curb my pedantry and not comment on the fact that the dude's first name is Eben, and not Even. Almost.

And, yes, what is it with that jacket?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool -- Richard Feynman
You are in a maze of twisty little religions, all alike -- xyzzy

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +237/-6
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +441/-11
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Proof of heaven? Esquire and Fox News Agree
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 01:33:58 PM »
It really takes reading the whole thing to realize just how much of a piece of work this Eben Alexander III really is.
Worldviews:  Everyone has one, everyone believes them to be an accurate view of the world, and everyone ends up at least partially wrong.  However, some worldviews are stronger and well-supported, while others are so bizarre that they make no sense to anyone else.

Online jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +231/-5
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 02:09:44 PM »
And, yes, what is it with that jacket?
I'm guessing that he's a David Byrne fan.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +237/-6
Re: On Dr Eben Alexander
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 03:04:30 PM »
My apologies I didn't see the thread. 

But one quote hit me

When Alexander got sick in late 2008, he hadn't practiced surgery in a year and faced a $3 million malpractice lawsuit. He now has a best-selling book and a movie deal

All it took is good credentials, an old fashioned 'professorial' but approachable appearance, and telling people exactly what they want to hear...regardless of truth value.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.