Author Topic: Success stories?  (Read 375 times)

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
Success stories?
« on: June 07, 2013, 03:44:53 PM »
Not sure where this should go, but I wondered if WWGHA has any "deconversion" success stories - on site?

For example, has a theist shown up, given it their best shot and 'poof,' the arguments/evidence/logic won them over?  I'm mainly looking for a thread I could read.

I see a lot of theistic preaching or goddidit type comments where the theist either disappears in a huff or just bows out, but I wonder if anyone changed their views while here?

I appreciate the theists who DO hang around and add their views, but I'm really looking for those who may have changed their viewpoint.

I guess the opposite holds true - if there are any threads where an athesit 'converted' - that may be a good read also.

Not looking to debate it out here in this thread - just maybe some links to good reads on topic

Thanks
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
Re: Success stories?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 04:07:15 PM »
I think members Truth OT and Death over Life were Christians when they first came here and I believe each have left it.  Here is Death over Life's first post on this site and then compare it to some of his later posts.

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,16904.msg376526.html#msg376526
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 04:08:37 PM »
Great - thanks for the tip
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 04:28:01 PM »
There have been several.  If you take in both the old and "new" site.  Names escape me right now.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Mooby

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • So it goes.
    • Is God Imaginary?
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 10:49:13 PM »
Wasn't Vynn the poster boy at one point?
"I'm doing science and I'm still alive."--J.C.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +675/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 11:31:15 PM »
Not sure where this should go, but I wondered if WWGHA has any "deconversion" success stories - on site?

For example, has a theist shown up, given it their best shot and 'poof,' the arguments/evidence/logic won them over?  I'm mainly looking for a thread I could read.

Wasn't Vynn the poster boy at one point?

Yes.  Vynn.  He came to the forum v1 as a total fundie.  Made Mooby look like a Unitarian.  But DTE deconverted him.  DTE is legend.  Flipping brilliant.  Unfortunately, all that is on the old forum, which is currently, for some reason, inaccessible.  I suspect the database has been moved or deleted by the owner.   Otherwise it would be here:
http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forum

I think DTE posted their PMs over at ATT - aka Hal's place.  You might check it out.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 12:26:56 PM »
I think members Truth OT and Death over Life were Christians when they first came here and I believe each have left it.  Here is Death over Life's first post on this site and then compare it to some of his later posts.

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,16904.msg376526.html#msg376526

I see Sguols name mentioned in there, Death Over Life was friends with the bloke? I did not know this. I remember Sguols, he was a fellow metal head and I always read his name as Slough, though I can't remember why his name was 'Slough' backwards. *Shrugs* I'm sure there's better places in the UK to pick as a name. Heck, there's a place in the UK called Slaughter, now that would be a totally metal name to pick. I've been to Slaughter, it's a nice place, though I've yet to visit Twatt in the Orkney Islands. Anyway, I've gone off topic.

There are a few, I think for many it was a case they probably had some questions and the forum helped them along.

Also, wasn't Gamergirl a deconversion? I remember her coming back here and going away again.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 01:58:07 PM »
Thanks everyone for the tips.

I didn't know anything about the "old forum" - guess it's not available?

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +675/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 02:40:58 PM »
I didn't know anything about the "old forum" - guess it's not available?

No.  All that's accessible right now is what I cut and pasted in this thread:
http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,18666.0.html

Pity.  There was a lot of great stuff from DTE.  He was a fully trained theologian who became an atheist. 
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 03:24:17 PM »
Fascinating stuff from kcrady.  Thanks