Author Topic: Catholic Church in Victoria, Australia, says more children abused  (Read 324 times)

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
Catholic Church in Victoria, Australia, says more children abused

Big News Network (UPI) Thursday 6th June, 2013

MELBOURNE -- The Catholic Church in Victoria, Australia, revised upward the number of children it says were sexually abused by clergy and staff from 620 to at least 849.

In its original submission to the Victoria child abuse inquiry, the church said it had paid compensation to 620 victims, the Australian Broadcasting Corp. reported Thursday.

Further analysis of church documents revealed at least 849 were abused since the 1950s.

The new submission also revealed more information about the number of sex offenders in the church's ranks, saying 269 men and women were found guilty of abuse, the broadcaster said.

Those found guilty include 114 brothers, 98 priests, 42 lay people, nine nuns, two seminarians and two listed as unknown.

http://www.bignewsnetwork.com/index.php/sid/215022460/scat/11caa946bf11fe44/ht/Catholic-Church-in-Victoria-Australia-says-more-children-abused

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
Re: Catholic Church in Victoria, Australia, says more children abused
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 08:13:03 PM »
Tell me that any of these abusers really believed in a God.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 08:22:01 PM »
Tell me that any of these abusers really believed in a God.

Oh sure they did Nick. They believed in a god.

A very forgiving god.  :-\

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 09:10:04 AM »
Only 849 in the last 63 years? 

That's a mere 13 a year on average... 

Methinks the number will go up...   :'(
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 10:28:41 AM »
I'm guessing that they do believe in god. Human ability to rationalize behavior is enormous. Its also very possible to live with a great deal of guilt about such things. One of the very many problems is that the Catholics went to having celibate priests. This was not always the case. Trying to repress such a powerful drive is bound to twist it and have it come out in all kinds of nasty ways. And in cases like my uncle's (a lutheran minister) he'd been abused by his father, and convinced that it was a "special kind of love." That kind of brainwashing knows no logic. I imagine that many of these men either are self-loathing for their behavior, or have brainwashed themselves into believing its ok.

Creepy.  :(
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.