Author Topic: Has it ever occurred to you that we are all wrong?  (Read 6478 times)

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
Re: Has it ever occurred to you that we are all wrong?
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2013, 02:57:19 AM »
Morons.  All morons hate it when you call them a moron.

To be fair, non-morons also aren't best pleased to be called a moron.....  ;D

I agree with everything else though.  Just because you or I cannot explain something, doesn't mean the explanation must automatically default to gods or pixies.

Of course, that's how we've come to the "god of the gaps" situation.  Way back when we were all wearing furs and wondering whether there was anything better to eat that raw meat, EVERYTHING was god.  The lights in the sky, the lightning from above, the wind, the way the sabre-tooth looked the wrong way just at the right to so it didn't see us....all god.  Flash forward a few thousand years, and more and more stuff was getting explained, and god was pushed back into all the little bits there was no current explanation for.

Unfortunately, I think we have passed the stage where new knowledge cn be assimilated by the average mind (let alone the dumb).  The math and the concepts behind quantum, string, solar mechanics, and dozens of other subjects, are now beyond the majority of people (at least without a bit of effort, which often doesn't seem to be a priority for them).  It therefore is just easier to say "I don't understand that, therefore it must be god" - and probably seems quite logical to them.  Unfortunately, it ignores the fact that SOMEONE out there HAS worked it all out, they just haven't managed to dumb it down to their level.

A friend once told me a tale - he was talking with a religious friend, and they commented "that Dawkins - he's too clever for his own good".  And I think that's a telling statement - lots of people are simply happier wallowing in ignorance and "goddidit", either because it saves them having to think, or (like that lady) because they have been trained to believe that asking questions and thinking is somehow a Bad Thing.

Morons, like you say.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2013, 07:54:59 AM »
To be fair, non-morons also aren't best pleased to be called a moron.....

That was my tribute to Holden Caufield.

And I think that's a telling statement - lots of people are simply happier wallowing in ignorance and "goddidit", either because it saves them having to think, or (like that lady) because they have been trained to believe that asking questions and thinking is somehow a Bad Thing.

As king, I would allow such people their stupidity.  However, I would also limit the responsibility they would be allowed to have.  No posititions of authority for them.  Also, no oven cleaners, glass, drain clog removers, knives, scissors and most definitely no guns.  And they would have to wear some identifier at all times - perhaps jester hats or a large "M" tattooed on their foreheads - so the rest of my subjects could easily know who the morons are.

They would have limited free speech.  Around other morons, they could speak completely freely.  However in the presence of a non-moron, they could only speak when spoken to or in the event of an emergency. 

I would be a great and benevolent king.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2013, 08:26:56 AM »
To be fair, non-morons also aren't best pleased to be called a moron.....

That was my tribute to Holden Caufield.

Caulfield, when all is said and done, was a dick.  A good kicking would be too good for him.  Its rare I've encountered such a whiny, blinkered, loser.

Hmmm.  I think I see your point.   ;)

Quote from: Anfauglir
quote author=Anfauglir link=topic=25006.msg558163#msg558163 date=1371023839]
And I think that's a telling statement - lots of people are simply happier wallowing in ignorance and "goddidit", either because it saves them having to think, or (like that lady) because they have been trained to believe that asking questions and thinking is somehow a Bad Thing.

As king, I would allow such people their stupidity.  However, I would also limit the responsibility they would be allowed to have.  No posititions of authority for them.  Also, no oven cleaners, glass, drain clog removers, knives, scissors and most definitely no guns.  And they would have to wear some identifier at all times - perhaps jester hats or a large "M" tattooed on their foreheads - so the rest of my subjects could easily know who the morons are.

They would have limited free speech.  Around other morons, they could speak completely freely.  However in the presence of a non-moron, they could only speak when spoken to or in the event of an emergency. 

I'd vote for you.

Assuming you let me have a vote, of course!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 05:53:49 AM by Anfauglir »
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2013, 08:59:12 AM »
Caulfield, when all is said and done, was a dick.  A good kicking would be too good for him.  Its rare I've encountered such a whiny, blinkered, loser.

I thought that the first time too.  But on subsequent readings, I changed my opinion.  His little brother died and that was an emotional injury he'd not gotten over.  Add to that the typical pains of being a teen and not fitting in.  I would not have wanted to be his classmate, because he was a pain in the neck.  But as an outside observer I could empathize.

I'd vote for you.

Of course.  Everyone would be allowed to vote for me.  Even the morons. 
You would have an esteemed position in my court.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2013, 09:13:30 AM »

Forget king - run for governor of Oklahoma!  Your subjects await...   :laugh:
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2013, 05:41:34 AM »
I am in awe of human intelligence as well. 

The reason it makes me feel closer to God is because I think God created it. 

Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2013, 05:54:50 AM »
I'd vote for you.

Hmmm.  Would opposing votes be allowed?   ;D

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2013, 05:56:18 AM »
I'd vote for you.

Hmmm.  Would opposing votes be allowed?   ;D

I'm thinking there would only be 1 name on the polling card

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2013, 06:02:23 AM »
I'm thinking there would only be 1 name on the polling card

Best way.  Means the morons don't get confused by those damned "choices". 

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2013, 07:16:00 AM »
Hmmm.  Would opposing votes be allowed?   

why would anyone want to vote for anyone else?

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline SkyWriting

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +9/-75
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2013, 09:30:12 AM »
100 fictions were created to explain it.  Some of them remain.  Some of the discarded fictions may well return some day.  Getting closer to "the truth" is a mental construct.  One may always end up being wrong, even if they do recreate the original event, it may not play out as intended or as it originally happened.

Interesting.

How many creation myths do you think there are?  Which one (if any) do you subscribe to - and why?

I only subscribe to the story as told in the Christian scriptures because this particular book explains human nature perfectly and exhaustively.  No other book is so correct.   So it's the parts that are so perfectly sound that convince me that the "wacky" parts are sound as well.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2013, 09:33:09 AM »
I only subscribe to the story as told in the Christian scriptures because this particular book explains human nature perfectly and exhaustively.  No other book is so correct.

You're either an idiot or a liar.
http://www.project-reason.org/gallery3/image/105/
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline SkyWriting

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +9/-75
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2013, 10:04:08 AM »
I only subscribe to the story as told in the Christian scriptures because this particular book explains human nature perfectly and exhaustively.  No other book is so correct.

http://www.project-reason.org/gallery3/image/105/

That would be your job to prove either way, I guess.

I thought you were going to point to a better source of knowledge.   
But human nature says that would be a very rare response.

I can usually explain supposed "contradictions" with one hand tied behind my back.
I'm not a bible student, don't read it regular, don't attend church, don't listen to sermons in person, on tv, or radio.    My college degree has nothing to do with religion.

Oh, but after 25 years in R&D, I am a master at "search".    What "contradiction" is your favorite one? 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 10:05:55 AM by SkyWriting »

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2013, 10:09:15 AM »
I thought you were going to point to a better source of knowledge.

By "better" I assume you mean one that agrees with you.

But human nature says that would be a very rare response.

Shows how little you know about my posting history. I am rational. Some even say I'm too rational.

I can usually explain supposed "contradictions" with one hand tied behind my back.

Alright. Let's start at the beginning.
http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/accounts.html
Explain that without using vague words and lies.

I'm not a bible student, don't read it regular, don't attend church, don't listen to sermons in person, on tv, or radio.    My college degree has nothing to do with religion.

We're the same on most of these.

Oh, but after 25 years in R&D, I am a master at "search".    What "contradiction" is your favorite one? 

I have no favorite contradiction, since I don't regard the Bible as anything more than a poorly written book.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2013, 10:16:00 AM »

This is uncalled for.  Tone it down, please.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +892/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2013, 11:16:10 AM »
I am in awe of human intelligence as well. 

The reason it makes me feel closer to God is because I think God created it.

I want you to consider this carefully: If god created everything, then god is responsible for the good things as well as the bad things. If god made the solutions, then god also made the problems.

If god created everything in nature, then god created poison ivy, herpes, cancer, bubonic plague, cockroaches, ectopic pregnancies, hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and face-eating bacteria--as well as all the things people have done to help with those problems.

If god created human intelligence, god is responsible for torture-- and Amnesty International; slavery-- and abolition; terrorist cells, nuclear weapons-- and peace activists. 

Unless you want to somehow say that that there are things in the universe that god did not create?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +375/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2013, 11:30:21 AM »
I want you to consider this carefully: If god created everything, then god is responsible for the good things as well as the bad things. If god made the solutions, then god also made the problems.

If god created everything in nature, then god created poison ivy, herpes, cancer, bubonic plague, cockroaches, ectopic pregnancies, hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and face-eating bacteria--as well as all the things people have done to help with those problems.

If god created human intelligence, god is responsible for torture-- and Amnesty International; slavery-- and abolition; terrorist cells, nuclear weapons-- and peace activists. 
I would say that this is dependent on god possessing the following characteristics:
All-powerful (or extraordinarily powerful enough to manifest almost all outcomes he/she/it desires)
All-knowing (or knowing enough to be able to predict with significant precision and accuracy the results of his/her/its actions or the actions of other entities)

I am uncertain if junebug72 subscribes to such a conception of god.
Unless you want to somehow say that that there are things in the universe that god did not create?
If god does not possess the above characteristics, it's possible that god did create everything but possesses insufficient knowledge and/or intellectual processing capability to reliably predict the results of his/her/its actions.  It's possible that god does possess such knowledge and intellectual processing capability, but is insufficiently powerful enough to correct for mistakes and is, for some reason or another, totally OK with that.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2013, 11:34:13 AM »

I assume this ability boils down to "God can do anything, unlike the universe, He was always there, He is outside time, He does not need clothes or food, etc." and other apologist garbage which is then followed by "No one knows what God is like."

Do you know what "confirmation bias" is?

Do you ever consider that you have built a god in your own image?
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +375/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2013, 11:46:14 AM »
If god does not possess the above characteristics, it's possible that god did create everything but possesses insufficient knowledge and/or intellectual processing capability to reliably predict the results of his/her/its actions.  It's possible that god does possess such knowledge and intellectual processing capability, but is insufficiently powerful enough to correct for mistakes and is, for some reason or another, totally OK with that.
In retrospect, the latter option I present above does nothing to actually absolve responsibility from this entity.  In the former case, the degree of responsibility is directly correlated to the nature of what knowledge and intellectual capability this god entity does possess.  If sufficiently small (though even substantially larger than human capability) I can see paths of "honest mistakes" from god.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2013, 11:46:44 AM »
Why can't I resist?

OK, SkyWriting, off you go, and no massive cut and paste jobs!

In two places in the New Testament the genealogy of Jesus son of Mary is mentioned. MAT 1:6-16 and LUK 3:23-31. Each gives the ancestors of Joseph the CLAIMED husband of Mary and Step father of Jesus. The first one starts from Abraham (verse 2) all the way down to Jesus. The second one from Jesus all the way back to Adam. The only common name to these two lists between David and Jesus is JOSEPH, How can this be true?

Judas died how?

"And he cast down the pieces of silver into the temple and departed, and went out and hanged himself." (MAT 27:5)

"And falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all of his bowels gushed out." (ACT 1:18)

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/jim_meritt/bible-contradictions.html#genealogy
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline sun_king

• Graduate
  • Darwins +25/-0
  • We see things not as they are, but as we are
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2013, 11:54:32 AM »
I had wanted to ask about the iron chariots, but Graybeard was faster. I will wait, in no hurry, let CSI investigate Judas' death.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +892/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2013, 01:12:04 PM »
When SW has dealt with that, he can address the gazillion problems and contradictions with the Noah story.

Like what Noah and his family ate when they got off the ark, in a stinking disease vector of a wasteland with every human being, plant, tree and animal dead and rotting.

He could also tell us how all the millions of species of saved animals, even those that can't fly or swim, got to their correct habitats after getting out of that packed-to-the-gills methane-filled dark, smelly, noisy, but delightful Carnival cruise.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2013, 04:07:28 AM »
100 fictions were created to explain it.  Some of them remain.  Some of the discarded fictions may well return some day.  Getting closer to "the truth" is a mental construct.  One may always end up being wrong, even if they do recreate the original event, it may not play out as intended or as it originally happened.

Interesting.

How many creation myths do you think there are?  Which one (if any) do you subscribe to - and why?

I only subscribe to the story as told in the Christian scriptures because this particular book explains human nature perfectly and exhaustively.  No other book is so correct.   So it's the parts that are so perfectly sound that convince me that the "wacky" parts are sound as well.

So it talks about human nature?  With respect, so what?  Every single creation myth talks about people and what they want and do - you can easily construct a mythology based on human archetypes just by observing and talking to people.  So I can't subsribe to your reasoning there at all.

As for the "some bits sound right, so everything must be", that sounds like a very dangerous line of thinking.  Its the way that confidence tricksters work, injecting just enough plausibile truth that you overlook the lies and nonsense. 

To pick the old favourite, Harry Potter, that book describes trains, houses, people and their relationships, UK geography, eating, and much else, and while the writing style is not the best, it deals reasonably well (as I said) with people and their relationships, their frailties, their nature.  So when I read that, should I therefore assume that what it says about magic and potions and werewolves - the "wacky" stuff - is also completely true?

Offline SkyWriting

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +9/-75
« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2013, 04:20:14 AM »

Interesting.

So it talks about human nature?  With respect, so what?  Every single creation myth talks about people and what they want and do - you can easily construct a mythology based on human archetypes just by observing and talking to people.  So I can't subsribe to your reasoning there at all.

I don't wish that you subscribe to my reasoning, at all.

As for the "some bits sound right, so everything must be", that sounds like a very dangerous line of thinking.  Its the way that confidence tricksters work, injecting just enough plausibile truth that you overlook the lies and nonsense. 

To pick the old favourite, Harry Potter, that book describes trains, houses, people and their relationships, UK geography, eating, and much else, and while the writing style is not the best, it deals reasonably well (as I said) with people and their relationships, their frailties, their nature.  So when I read that, should I therefore assume that what it says about magic and potions and werewolves - the "wacky" stuff - is also completely true?

It would be interesting to trace the origins of such folklore. 
What conclusion's you come to, I can't predict. I'm no prophet.
I don't ask that you follow my thinking just because I think it.
I try to avoid making assumptions as much as possible.

<<edit: fixed quotes>>
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 04:23:25 AM by Anfauglir »

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2013, 04:28:17 AM »

Nice red herring - but that wasn't the point I was making.  What I was attempting to do, notably with the Harry Potter reference, was to see if you could explain to me why your line of reasoning would be correctly applied in some circumstances, but not in others - in essence, to see if you actually had a cohesive method of analysis, or if in fact you choose to apply different standards to different sources in order to justify a pre-chosen conclusion.

You shied away from answering those questions, and that speaks volumes to me.

Offline SkyWriting

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +9/-75
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2013, 04:41:39 AM »
When SW has dealt with that, he can address the gazillion problems and contradictions with the Noah story.

Like what Noah and his family ate when they got off the ark, in a stinking disease vector of a wasteland with every human being, plant, tree and animal dead and rotting.

He could also tell us how all the millions of species of saved animals, even those that can't fly or swim, got to their correct habitats after getting out of that packed-to-the-gills methane-filled dark, smelly, noisy, but delightful Carnival cruise.

Sure. 
The story reads that Noah didn't leave the Ark until after a dove returned with a plant leaf.
This suggests that plant life had regrown.  We don't know the extent but evidently there was enough
for salads for all.

The story does not require two of each "species".   Though if it did, there are 14 plus definitions for "species".
It reads "Kinds" which means they were "parents" of those that followed.   How few "Kinds" are needed, God only knows.

If animals are put in warm, black-out  conditions, many of them will hibernate. If that happened, it would explain why
conditions on the Ark required little food or cleaning.

The story reads that God brought the animals to Noah.  ALL of the story tells that the events were guided by God and
not subject to the conditions of "Mother Nature."   So any "natural" impediments to the story are contrived.

God picked each pair of animals needed and brought them to Noah. God could also lead them back to their habitats
without a full explanation being needed for the story.   The story could have included the process of feeding each
animal and how the people cleaned up after each different animal twice a day.  But not all details help the story along.

The story of the Ark is a great example of how most questions can be answered by re-reading the story. 

Offline SkyWriting

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +9/-75
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2013, 04:52:00 AM »

Nice red herring - but that wasn't the point I was making.  What I was attempting to do, notably with the Harry Potter reference, was to see if you could explain to me why your line of reasoning would be correctly applied in some circumstances, but not in others - in essence, to see if you actually had a cohesive method of analysis, or if in fact you choose to apply different standards to different sources in order to justify a pre-chosen conclusion.

You shied away from answering those questions, and that speaks volumes to me.

Critical analysis of literature does take into account the variety of sources and does not apply the same
level of credibility or literalness to all sources across the board. 

If your going to listen to volumes of spoken information based on what I don't say, you'll
need to get into a very comfy chair.  You have a lot of listening to do.   I suggest you only
respond to what I DO write, but your style is completely your choice.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3654911/
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 04:56:18 AM by SkyWriting »

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2013, 04:52:49 AM »
2 specific types of bird are mentioned

Sure. 
The story reads that Noah didn't leave the Ark until after a dove returned with a plant leaf.

How does that fit with the "kinds" idea?

The story does not require two of each "species".   Though if it did, there are 14 plus definitions for "species".
It reads "Kinds" which means they were "parents" of those that followed.   How few "Kinds" are needed, God only knows.

edit Are you saying that doves and ravens are the common ancestor of all modern birds?

« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 04:58:04 AM by Mrjason »

Offline SkyWriting

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +9/-75
« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2013, 05:10:48 AM »
Why can't I resist?

OK, SkyWriting, off you go, and no massive cut and paste jobs!

In two places in the New Testament the genealogy of Jesus son of Mary is mentioned. MAT 1:6-16 and LUK 3:23-31. Each gives the ancestors of Joseph the CLAIMED husband of Mary and Step father of Jesus. The first one starts from Abraham (verse 2) all the way down to Jesus. The second one from Jesus all the way back to Adam. The only common name to these two lists between David and Jesus is JOSEPH, How can this be true?

Most conservative Bible scholars take the position that Luke is recording Mary’s genealogy and Matthew is recording Joseph’s.

Judas died how?
"And he cast down the pieces of silver into the temple and departed, and went out and hanged himself." (MAT 27:5)
"And falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all of his bowels gushed out." (ACT 1:18)

I'm not going to research this one.  It sounds like nobody wanted to go anywhere near him.  The point being that he had no family or friends.  As a result, he hung from the tree with a broken neck till his body was rotten and fell to the ground.  Then his insides gushed out.    Or it may have happened in hours.  The text gives minimal coverage of this particular event.
With "different reporters" you get different views of the same event.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 05:19:14 AM by SkyWriting »