Author Topic: Do Christians only follow what they want from the bible?  (Read 479 times)

Offline Lectus

• Graduate
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • The messiah of mental freedom
Do Christians only follow what they want from the bible?
« on: June 04, 2013, 11:50:22 AM »
It seems they select what they want to follow.

I asked a pastor: Why don't you keep the Saturday? (Exodus 20)

And he said because we're not under the law of Moses.

Then I asked: Why do I need to give back the tithes then? (Numbers 18)

He had no answer.
Religion: The belief that an all powerful God or gods created the entire universe so that we tiny humans can be happy. And we also make war about it.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
Re: Do Christians only follow what they want from the bible?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 12:03:32 PM »
Is the pope Catholic?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 12:51:48 PM »
One word answer "YES"

That is why there there have been more versions of xianity created than Levi's
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Online Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 01:46:04 PM »
The term "cafeteria christianity" comes to mind.

Thou shall not kill?  I'm totally with that!

No other gods before you?  Cool!

Thou shall not lie with a man as with a woman?  You becha!

That stuff about blood sacrifice, not eating shellfish, working on sunday, and all those other old testaments laws?  Er... Jesus absolved me of those... yeah!
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Online Mooby

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • So it goes.
    • Is God Imaginary?
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 10:59:39 PM »
It seems they select what they want to follow.

I asked a pastor: Why don't you keep the Saturday? (Exodus 20)

And he said because we're not under the law of Moses.
Well that was a silly answer.  The correct answer would have been to say that weekly holy day was moved to Sunday because that was the day of the week for the Resurrection.  Thus, the emphasis shifted from focusing on the final day of the creation week to focusing on Jesus.
"I'm doing science and I'm still alive."--J.C.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 09:12:03 AM »
Well that was a silly answer.  The correct answer would have been to say that weekly holy day was moved to Sunday because that was the day of the week for the Resurrection.  Thus, the emphasis shifted from focusing on the final day of the creation week to focusing on Jesus.

You wrote the sentences above in the  passive voice, so I am unsure who you attributed the "moving" and "shifting" to...?  Did yhwh change the rules or was it jeezus, some church leaders, apostles, magic eight ball?  Either way you have a fight on your hands with some branch of xianity.

I think that's Lectus' point... and it appears you confirmed it.
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Lectus

• Graduate
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • The messiah of mental freedom
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 12:11:47 PM »
Yes, Jesus changed the 10 commandments to be only 2 of loving God and loving people.

He changed a lot of things of the old testament like throwing rocks at women to death.

So, it would make sense that giving money to the church was also a thing of the past. I'm not a jew and the pastor isn't a Levi either.

That's not what they preach though.

More on this subject: http://www.precious-testimonies.com/exhortations/p-t/shouldwetithe.htm
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 12:17:13 PM by Lectus »
Religion: The belief that an all powerful God or gods created the entire universe so that we tiny humans can be happy. And we also make war about it.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 12:38:59 PM »
I'll tell you exactly what happened.  The fucking idiots who ran the YHWH story for so many centuries, ran out of ways to keep the sheeple in line...and someone broke the mold and started writing softer stuff...stuff that more evolved brains could actually tolerate.  Thus, the New Testament was born.  A kinder, gentler YHWH, if you will.

Bottom line, you can't have the NT without the OT, and you don't have any more right to declare one outdated over the other than I have a right to ask Zeus to stop throwing lightning bolts at us.  It's really about the church leaders more than anything else.  They believe they have the rights to dictate meaning from old writings included in the set.  They, and only they can cherry pick to their hearts content...Jesus and YHWH be damned.

Example, when Jesus said in Matthew not to preach in the streets, some asshat decided that's not what he meant...yadda, yadda, etc., etc, mumble, mumble razzlefratz...forget the fact that we really have no clue if Jesus said anything, or what it was, or even if he was real.

This will never end.  SPAG is the new religion.