Author Topic: Churches Boot Boy Scouts for Lifting Ban on Openly Homosexual Members  (Read 275 times)

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17

Following the Boy Scouts' recent vote to lift its ban on openly homosexual members, a number of churches across America have announced they will be cutting ties with the organization, Christian News Network reports. The majority of entities that charter with the Boy Scouts are either faith-based organizations or churches; however, some churches have now decided not to allow the Scouts to use their facilities any more as the organization no longer represents their moral values. Pastor Mike Shaw of the First Baptist Church of Pelham, Ala., is among those ending his alliance with the Scouts. He recently explained that his church could not in good conscience support the acceptance of sinful behavior. "We don’t hate anybody," Shaw told reporters. "We're not doing it out of hatred. The teachings of the Scripture are very clear on this. We're doing it because it violates the clear teaching of Scripture." Pastor Ernest Easley of Roswell Street Baptist Church in Marietta, Ga., said his church would no longer support the Scouts either. "It is extremely sad," he stated. "I'd never dreamed that I'd be standing in front of a group preaching on Sunday, encouraging parents to pull kids out of Boy Scouts of America. If we're a church that affirms God’s word as the inerrant word of God that we're going to live by, that we're going to raise our families by, that we're going to do church by, then it may be sad, but it's a simple decision. We are not going to put our arms around organizations that openly oppose the moral guidelines taught in God's word." The Southern Baptist Convention plans to vote next month on a resolution in regard to the Scouting policy, which may result in additional churches distancing themselves from the organization. A number of Christian organizations are predicting a mass exodus from the Boy Scouts of America following last month's decision.

http://www.religiontoday.com/blog/churches-boot-boy-scouts-lifting-ban-openly-homosexual-members.html

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
this is a tough one for me, since BSA is a private org and so are the churches.

in some regards you just have to roll with it when both sides sides are in a sticky situation.

i dont agree with the churches wrapping it in the jeezus bs but hey that is their m.o.

BSA is going to be scrambling if a lot of churches dump their charters... too bad

to top it off, I am in BSA with my kid and I am a closeted atheist. That violates the BSA rules.
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member

Following the Boy Scouts' recent vote to lift its ban on openly homosexual members, a number of churches across America have announced they will be cutting ties with the organization, Christian News Network reports. The majority of entities that charter with the Boy Scouts are either faith-based organizations or churches; however, some churches have now decided not to allow the Scouts to use their facilities any more as the organization no longer represents their moral values. Pastor Mike Shaw of the First Baptist Church of Pelham, Ala., is among those ending his alliance with the Scouts. He recently explained that his church could not in good conscience support the acceptance of sinful behavior. "We don’t hate anybody," Shaw told reporters. "We're not doing it out of hatred. The teachings of the Scripture are very clear on this. We're doing it because it violates the clear teaching of Scripture." Pastor Ernest Easley of Roswell Street Baptist Church in Marietta, Ga., said his church would no longer support the Scouts either. "It is extremely sad," he stated. "I'd never dreamed that I'd be standing in front of a group preaching on Sunday, encouraging parents to pull kids out of Boy Scouts of America. If we're a church that affirms God’s word as the inerrant word of God that we're going to live by, that we're going to raise our families by, that we're going to do church by, then it may be sad, but it's a simple decision. We are not going to put our arms around organizations that openly oppose the moral guidelines taught in God's word." The Southern Baptist Convention plans to vote next month on a resolution in regard to the Scouting policy, which may result in additional churches distancing themselves from the organization. A number of Christian organizations are predicting a mass exodus from the Boy Scouts of America following last month's decision.

http://www.religiontoday.com/blog/churches-boot-boy-scouts-lifting-ban-openly-homosexual-members.html

I'm not saying this out of hatred.  The teachings of the scripture are very clear on this.  I'm saying this because it violates the clear teaching of the scriptures.

You know what I'm talking about.  Keeping the Sabbath holy.  You KNOW God wants you to.  It is one of the BIG Ten. 

And yet, how many folks participate in flea markets on Sundays?

Think about it.  God is pretty damn clear about this in the OT, and then in the NT, when is the only time we saw Jesus have a temper tantrum? 

And there are people who are welcomed into churches across this great nation every Sunday, who leave church in time to set up a yard sale, or worse, a flea market in the church yard.

This is sinful.  It is not that we hate people who participate in flea markets on Sunday, but we know that this is a violation of god's will.  We need to ensure that we affirm God’s word as the inerrant word of God that we're going to live by, that we're going to raise our families by, that we're going to do church by, then it may be sad, but it's a simple decision. We are not going to put our arms around organizations that openly oppose the moral guidelines taught in God's word.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
I think this is a great thing that the churches are doing.

It will show that they would rather damage the majority than allow a few they disapprove of to join in. 
It will show how out of touch they are with the way the world is going.

I think the decision will do a LOT of damage to religion, as people see them as vindictive and petty.  It should lead to a lot of waverers pulling away from the church.  Every time they pull a stunt like this, they reveal how outdated and vicious they really are.

So I say good stuff.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?