Author Topic: Australians fear Islam  (Read 330 times)

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-0
  • Polyatheist
Australians fear Islam
« on: June 03, 2013, 12:28:29 AM »
The Australian National University (ANU) has apparently banned the satirisation of Islam for fear of inciting violence and creating a backlash

http://www.thecommentator.com/article/3669/university_introduces_blasphemy_law_for_fear_of_muslim_violence

What's with the double standard? Apparently, this University publication had "previously discussed Catholicism, Scientology, Mormonism and Judaism - none of which drew complaint or university action", and yet Islam is beyond satirisation for fear of the violence it may instgate. This is some scray stuff, that a secular Australian society would bow to this one religion and one religion only.

The photo above went viral in Australia when we had worldwide rioting due to a crappy film some guy made ridiculing Islam, that no one actually saw. Police actually tracked down the woman in the photo, who said she had no idea what the sign her son was holding said, but only recognised the word 'prophet' and so thought it must be good.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
Re: Australians fear Islam
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 01:07:36 AM »
It shouldn't surprise you. Free speech is conditional and always has been.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 02:18:14 AM »
It shouldn't surprise you. Free speech is conditional and always has been.
sounds like freewill  ;)

and yeah nat I saw that squalid kowtowing to possible threat

as far as the religious getting upset .......fuck em if they can't take a joke.

the uni should've maintained its position, and any trouble shoulda been dealt with by the law, and the full extent of the law.
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 06:14:07 AM »
Sounds like a lot of beheading will be going on.  Talk about a religion that fears losing control.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 07:12:41 PM »
The very first thing a society should do for any religion is to soundly criticize it.     Repeatedly.    Openly.

Actually, that standard should apply to all philosophies, programs or ideas. If it cannot stand up to criticism, then it cannot stand.
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.