Author Topic: There is a god ...  (Read 828 times)

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +131/-7
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
There is a god ...
« on: May 29, 2013, 09:31:15 AM »
Amazing find inside of used bible

Woman found her own writing from 65 years ago inside a bible she purchased at used book store.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
Re: There is a god ...
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 09:39:03 AM »
I just checked 3 bibles I have on my shelf... all three had bullshit inside!  Coincidence?  Maybe Baal is trying to tell me something?
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 09:42:08 AM »
Amazing find inside of used bible

Woman found her own writing from 65 years ago inside a bible she purchased at used book store.

Amazing, a religious nut gave a bible away. I'm gobsmacked.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 09:47:04 AM »
That bible was in like new condition... obviously, it didn't work out so well for whoever gave it away.

I want to see a bible with a letter from an altar boy... "help, this priest is buggering me...!"
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 09:51:45 AM »
God is sending us a message!!!!  Be kind to animals.  Don't pick flowers.  Don't walk on the grass.

I have a theory.  God left these important rules out of the original text, because He knew that being kind to animals was not really relevant 2000 years ago.  And there aren't a lot of flowers or grass in the desert.  So He knew NOT to include these as part of the original commandments, but in his omnipotence, realized that 2k years later, He would update his teachings via this miracle. 

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 09:54:38 AM »
God is sending us a message!!!!  Be kind to animals.  Don't pick flowers.  Don't walk on the grass.

I have a theory.  God left these important rules out of the original text, because He knew that being kind to animals was not really relevant 2000 years ago.  And there aren't a lot of flowers or grass in the desert.  So He knew NOT to include these as part of the original commandments, but in his omnipotence, realized that 2k years later, He would update his teachings via this miracle.

From these newly updated rules/commandments, should we now go out and kill florists???

Also, does that lady have a thing for vases or what?? 

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 10:00:15 AM »

<snip>, but in his omnipotence, realized that 2k years later, He would update his teachings via this miracle.

...and in doing so negated his existence al la Dawkins

Can omnipotent God,
who knows the future,
find the power to change his future mind?

Offline jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +602/-19
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 10:04:32 AM »
In a world with nearly 7 billion people in it, why would anyone be surprised that coincidences like this happen every so often?

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 10:31:07 AM »
I don't remember which member it is but a long time ago we had a member who would write "fiction" on the inside cover of each bible he found in hotel rooms as he traveled around the country.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 10:43:12 AM »
I don't remember which member it is but a long time ago we had a member who would write "fiction" on the inside cover of each bible he found in hotel rooms as he traveled around the country.

Great idea!  I'm also going to write "don't pick flowers"

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +131/-7
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 06:00:48 AM »
Arizona Mom Yanira Maldonado Freed From Mexican Jail

Maldonado met with reporters briefly and said, "Many thanks to everyone, especially my God who let me go free, my family, my children, who with their help, I was able to survive this test," she said.

It's always a pleasure to see believers thanking their god for the positive outcome of a negative situation. The god/christ entity can never, ever do anything wrong. Isn't that amazing? God is the ultimate marketing/PR machine.

Apparently, though, her god was not quite so powerful as she thinks for she herself thanked her family who must have known that god needed some assistance in correcting this situation and so they lent a hand to "him" to help out their mother.

Isn't it amazing how god put her in the path of the law, framed her for drug trafficking, sent her an official from the Mexican government who told her to plead guilty anyway, and then managed to free her a week later with a video?

Bask in The Power of The Lord, Our God, Jesus Christ!!

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 08:25:56 AM »
god is the big warden in the sky?

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 09:22:12 AM »
Okay, this story is from someone who presents as a theist - so my BS radar is mounted and activated  &)

Never forget the dental miracles!  And the insights they gave us.

Sure, it might not be statistically impossible but I'm more inclined towards the more likely probability of this being another fabricated "me too" miracle.

Some clues:
1) Who stores children's old essays in their bible?
2) When I was a Scout and at school ALL my essays were returned to me after marking.
3) Who would wait 2 months after noticing an "old letter" stuck in a second hand book before reading it?!?!?!   FFS  :? 
4) There is even some lamenting about lost opportunities to further embellish the story - like there might be some kind of more meaningful message if only she remembered which chapter of the bible the old essay was inserted into.  (Or that may be a follow-up opportunity securely in the bank for more attention seeking at a later date.)

It simply doesn't add up, but rather smacks of making it up as she goes along - a skill theists do happen to get a lot of practice at  :police:

Git mit uns