Author Topic: Tom Tomorrow on Blitzer talking to tornado survivor  (Read 622 times)

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappĂ©
Tom Tomorrow on Blitzer talking to tornado survivor
« on: May 28, 2013, 01:09:53 PM »
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Tom Tomorrow on Blitzer talking to tornado survivor
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 02:43:47 PM »
Stupid.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +279/-36
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 02:50:27 PM »
Funny.

-One
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 03:34:35 PM »
I'd love to see the raw footage of Wolf harrassing that poor gal.  You know he knew the answer beforehand and set her up...  He probably crossed himself after they yelled cut.
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 05:36:55 PM »
I'd love to see the raw footage of Wolf harrassing that poor gal.  You know he knew the answer beforehand and set her up...  He probably crossed himself after they yelled cut.

Your prayers are answered, neopagan!  EV started a thread on the topic here :  http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,24938.msg555500.html#msg555500

And I liked it so much that I linked the full video.  And I can do it again!

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 05:41:50 PM »
There was no harassing.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 07:30:34 PM »
"You gotta thank The Lord, right?"

No I don't.

I wonder how her neighbors feel about her after that, right there in the middle of the bible belt.

Hope she doesn't bring undue harassment on herself.
I'd cut him if he stands, and I'd shoot him if he'd run
 Yes I'd kill him with my Bible and my razor and my gun

Poverty is the parent of revolution and crime.
Aristotle

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 09:53:31 PM »
I think that is a clear case of harassment.  He hasn't actually asked the question impartially - he's attempted to put words in her mouth so he can conscript her story for his own evangelical agenda.  The woman clearly squirms in the awkward situation - see how she avoids eye contact while he delivers his question and then throws it back out and away from the conversation (avoidance behaviour).

It's a mild case but it results in an invasion of her privacy on an issue she should never have been ambushed into talking about on TV.

Good for her she had the strength and integrity to speak the truth.  Most theists (most of them riddled with doubt) would take the easy road and go with the bullshit answer to deal with the inexplicable randomness of suffering.
Git mit uns

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 08:17:17 AM »
Thanks Quesi... 

By "raw" I meant the discussions (or pre interview) he had with her before they went live.  Just my gut feeling Wolfey knew exactly where she stood and managed to drag that out of her on camera.  I don't know one way or another about his religious agenda, but I think having her squirm like that on live TV is what he wanted.

If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 03:44:26 AM »
It is interesting.  Most folks here clearly seem to think that Wolf had prior knowledge of her atheism.  Oddly, and for different reasons, Glenn Beck had the same take.

I could be completely wrong here, but I see the whole interview really differently.

Wolf Blitzer is a NY Jew.  All this "thank the lord" and "do you thank the lord?" is just not part of the NY Jewish vernacular.

My take is this.   His visit to the Heartland was a visit to a foreign culture, and he was overcompensating in an almost comical attempt to fit in.  Like a springbreaker in Mexico, wearing a sombrero to fit into the local culture, or white suburban kid trying to speak "ghetto" to a group of black grad students from Columbia University.  He made a set of assumptions, based on ignorance.  And it blew up in his face.

And honestly, I think I might have made the same mistake myself.  I would not have asked folks if they "thanked the lord" but if I found myself in that region, I would probably ASSUME that everyone was a fundamentalist Christian.   And my assumptions would be based on my ignorance.  I would look at the human beings around me differently.  Through the filter of my own biases.  And that might make me act a little weird and unnatural.  I think that is what Wolf did. 

But I could be wrong. 

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 05:41:26 AM »
LMAO!! fighting the forces of spiritual darkness?

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 08:17:05 AM »
Wolf's motives are his own and we may never know.

However, having had some experience with media types, there really isn't any such thing as a "cold" interview.  Even the man on the street type interviews usually involve a bit of a pre interview just to make sure the person can string a sentence together and not sound completely insane (unless that's the effect they were looking for).

I do completely agree he was in a foreign culture.  We Okies are simply crazy flyover country to him, so I get that.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 08:43:47 AM »
Wolf Blitzer is a NY Jew. 

That sentence makes no sense at all.  Reading it makes my brain hurt. 
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 09:57:43 AM »
Aren't all wolves atheists anyway (not counting romulus and remus, of course)?

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 10:31:40 AM »
It's that there is nothing jewish sounding about "Wolf Blitzer" at all.  It sounds pure Nordic German.

This is a Wolf Blitzer : http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/315/3/1/more_nordic_muscle_by_builtbytallsteve-d5ko64o.jpg 
Right out of a Wagnerian opera.

This is an Irving Munchnik:  http://i.huffpost.com/gen/766157/original.jpg
 Or a Zev Barak[1]

1. translates to "Wolf Blitzer" in German/Yiddish
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_Blitzer#Name
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.