Author Topic: Latest Columbine-style attempt foiled  (Read 482 times)

Offline shnozzola

• Reader
  • Darwins +110/-2
Latest Columbine-style attempt foiled
« on: May 26, 2013, 04:54:20 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/26/justice/oregon-teen-bomb-plot

With the help of explosive devices, checklists and diagrams, Acord's "goal was to model the Columbine shootings with some adjustments that would make it a greater success," Haroldson said.
The prosecutor said police found six types of explosives in the 17-year-old's possession after they arrested him Thursday night at his mother's house in Albany, Oregon.

How is society going to deal with this?  Is it a consequence of video games, media, the internet, change in morals, parenting, families, etc.?
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Latest Columbine-style attempt foiled
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 05:45:51 PM »
I don't know why Columbine is always referenced. They weren't the first school shooting nor the worst, nor the last. One in 1927 took almost 50 lives. The one at Virginia Tech in '07 took more than 30. Sandy Hook took almost 30. Whenever people talk about school shootings it's always "Columbine" which only took 15 lives. There have been over 80 school shootings since Columbine (in the US).

I'm tired of the comparison whether there are any or not.

-Nam

This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +301/-32
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 11:45:29 PM »
Pfft, cops arresting the guy at home?  How outdated.

What they really needed were armed teachers.  Yeah.  That would have worked out even better.
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 08:47:00 AM »

What they really needed were armed teachers.  Yeah.  That would have worked out even better.

Cuz' there's nothing better than shooting someone dead whenever the opportunity presents itself.  Some people truly seem to want to kill someone legally.  So, dare them to step on their property...sad.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 08:52:52 AM »

Cuz' there's nothing better than shooting someone dead whenever the opportunity presents itself.  Some people truly seem to want to kill someone legally.  So, dare them to step on their property...sad.
Look at the law in Florida.  Shot 1st ask questions not at all.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 01:07:51 PM »
How is society going to deal with this?  Is it a consequence of video games, media, the internet, change in morals, parenting, families, etc.?

Video games, no. Media, no. The internet, no. Change in morals, how you define it depends[1]. Parenting & families, possibly. Though I don't always see parenting as the issue, teachers, class mates, and even people in the community can easily screw somebody up. If you're bullied for example, it's not difficult to see how one could end up feeling helpless and hating everyone as a result, of course not everybody who's been bullied is necessarily going to be led down a dark path, for example, I was bullied and my record is clean (no drugs, drinking, violence), but everybody's different. What better way to get the dicks who make you feel small every day by splattering their guts all over the cafeteria walls? Sure there may be collateral, but they never helped you out when you were down, they never defended you or even cared how you feel or have felt.

Of course, there's other things out there to motivate. However, video games, music, TV, internet and so on, I think they're the scape goats to the real problem. I think as cheesy as it was, Scream was right, horror movies don't make serial killers, it just gives them creativity.
 1. Usually it's a synonym for 'lack of Christian morals'
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 01:09:28 PM by Seppuku »
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 07:25:06 PM »
Speaking of bullying, John Fugelsang has a short YouTube video on the topic.  His idea is brilliant, basically saying that we have to stop calling it bullying.  One of his ideas is to call it "criminal harassment". 

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 12:38:46 AM »
This!

Speaking of bullying, John Fugelsang has a short YouTube video on the topic.  His idea is brilliant, basically saying that we have to stop calling it bullying.  One of his ideas is to call it "criminal harassment". 

"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline Samothec

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-2
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 04:00:57 AM »
A good video for the most part - the very end was disappointing to me.

As for his message: To heck with just calling it criminal harassment - report incidents to the police if the school doesn't resolve the problems. If the bullying victim has friends with camera phones, have the friends surreptiously record any incidents they're around for - getting evidence.

I do understand that many bullies are spreading around the pain they have received. That's why the school gets a chance to deal with it first where the bully can possibly be refered for counseling (depending uopn how on the ball the school is).
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther