Author Topic: Christian vs. Christian  (Read 688 times)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +271/-76
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Christian vs. Christian
« on: May 22, 2013, 10:51:20 PM »
I wonder: do Christian proselytize other Christians? I know they regularly come to heathen websites like this. Go to heathen countries. But do they do it to other Christians. The only Christians I know who do are what almost all other Christians don't believe are even Christian: Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses.

Do Catholics attempt to convert Protestants? Or Protestants, Catholics? How about Protestants on Protestants or Catholics on Catholics?

I've been to many-a-Christian website and haven't actually seen it. I guess Christianity is a lost cause.

-Nam

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
Re: Christian vs. Christian
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 01:50:06 AM »
The bananaman does, as do the Westboro Baptist looney toons. I guess you don't see that much of it because we're like lions to them, while fellow Christians are meerkats. What would you rather return from safari with?[1]
 1. Me, I'd prefer to return from safari with a digital camera full of insanely cool images, and not all of them need be about the braais at the end of the day
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +271/-76
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 03:00:19 AM »
I don't think Westboro does anything but preach vulgarities at people. I don't think they actually try to convert anyone. They say just as much bad shit toward Christians as anyone else; perhaps worse.

-Nam

Offline Anfauglir

• Darwins +371/-4
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 05:12:52 AM »
Interesting point - I wonder whether its because they think "oh, they're close enough" and go for those who are TOTALLY unsaved, or whether its more of a "that lot have heard the word, but choose to get it wrong - they are past redemption".

Uncharitably, one might think that they fear what they might learn if they try to challenge someone who has the same level of Biblical learning as they do, but who have equally justifiable reasons for differing in their interpretation.  To actually hear the arguments of the heretic might cause them to question their own justifications.  But like I said - that's an uncharitable way of thinking - shame on me!   ;D
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 06:01:24 AM »
I don't think Westboro does anything but preach vulgarities at people. I don't think they actually try to convert anyone. They say just as much bad shit toward Christians as anyone else; perhaps worse.

-Nam

Well, to be fair to WBC they probably are fed up with them telling their beliefs to people, then supporting it with evidence (the bible, which should be evidence for a Christian), but Christians still acting dense like they dont get it. Think about threads here where we show people the evidence, and they say some shit like, "well i still feel like theres fairies that help me iron my cloths in the morning..." we get pissed after a while and the conversation deteriorates.

God's message of hate is clear as day.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 07:18:10 AM »
I don't remember Catholics doing that.  They have pushed closer understanding things from time to time.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +271/-76
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 09:33:56 PM »
I don't remember Catholics doing that.  They have pushed closer understanding things from time to time.

Unless your names Maggie[1].

;)

-Nam
 1. the Opinionated

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 10:09:01 PM »

-Nam

WBC is made up of family members for the most part.  Some have departed and preach against them.  It's a tiny church, if you can actually call it that. 

Having had some experience with the Church of Christ denomination - they are convinced everyone else is going to hell and will flat out tell you if you don't buy their brand of voodoo.  Other protestants are generally not so rigid.
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +61/-75
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 05:44:52 AM »
Just want to say great question. 
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline Graybeard

• Darwins +405/-13
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 06:09:37 AM »
When the Church of England started allowing women to become vicars, the Catholic Church was there to scoop up what it could of the disaffected. They went so far as to allow those who were already married to become priests. They later profited from the move in the C of E to accept homosexuals -> more vicars were encouraged and did defect.

Finally, the C of E (bent on dividing themselves) then moved towards women bishops. The Catholic Church was there again poaching the clergy and turning them in to priests.
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +17/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 06:53:47 AM »
It's more of a community thing. Megachurches attract Lutheran losers, campus ministers recruit lapsed christians etc.

Offline viocjit

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 07:28:38 AM »
I can say that many Christians accuse others Christians to be heretical.
My answer to that is : Before criticise look at yourself.
See Matthew 7:3-5 (King James Version) :
And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

Offline Betelnut

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 08:08:29 AM »
Christians definitely preach at and try to "convert" other Christians.  Think of the JWs or Mormons--they aren't looking for atheists when they go door to door.

Offline Mooby

• Reader
  • Darwins +62/-23
  • So it goes.
    • Is God Imaginary?
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 08:17:10 AM »
I've had fundamentalists try to save me.
"I'm doing science and I'm still alive."--J.C.

Offline Add Homonym

• Reader
  • Darwins +185/-2
  • I can haz jeezusburgerâ„¢
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 08:54:29 AM »
I've had fundamentalists try to save me.

That would be hopeless. You are too far gone.
I strive for clarity, but aim for confusion.

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +89/-1
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2013, 09:41:20 AM »
Last year was the Catholic Churches year of Evangelisation and we had a priest and a layperson visit in good old Mormon style trying to get the family to go to one of their masses. They were going door to door so I imagine they would have been trying to convert the members of other churches as they went. Their luck ran out at our house, though, as we are all heathens here! That's the first time I've ever seen the Catholics actively trying to get members.

So far as the C of E losing people to the Catholic Church, this may be true but the attendance figures and clergy figures in the UK are not boosted and are, indeed, falling year on year.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +369/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2013, 10:24:40 AM »
I wonder: do Christian proselytize other Christians? I know they regularly come to heathen websites like this. Go to heathen countries. But do they do it to other Christians. The only Christians I know who do are what almost all other Christians don't believe are even Christian: Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses.

Do Catholics attempt to convert Protestants? Or Protestants, Catholics? How about Protestants on Protestants or Catholics on Catholics?

I've been to many-a-Christian website and haven't actually seen it. I guess Christianity is a lost cause.

-Nam

Great questions.  Lots of Christians like to recruit.  Latin America, which is traditionally Catholic, is facing a huge influx of missionaries from various protestant sects.  The Seven Day Adventists have taken a strong hold in the region, and the Mormon influence is growing.  Also some plain old evangelicals hoping to grab some more souls before the rapture.  Did you see that thread recently with the video of the Ecuadorian girl who claimed to have died and gotten a personal tour of heaven and hell?  She is one of that new brand in Lat Am. 

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +89/-1
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2013, 11:09:33 AM »
Didn't see that one. Do you have a link to the video, please?
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Lectus

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +17/-0
  • The messiah of mental freedom
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2013, 12:27:14 PM »
Yes.

In my country, the protestants say they worship the living God who is in spirit while the Catholics worship the Jesus crucified in the cross. They also say Catholics are commiting sins by worshiping statues (idolatry).

The Catholics claim to be the original church of Jesus.

So, they definitely compete and try to convert each other.

The protestants also try to convert people from afro religions claiming that those religions are of the Devil.
Religion: The belief that an all powerful God or gods created the entire universe so that we tiny humans can be happy. And we also make war about it.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +271/-76
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2013, 05:25:42 PM »
Christians definitely preach at and try to "convert" other Christians.  Think of the JWs or Mormons--they aren't looking for atheists when they go door to door.

Did you read my OP?

-Nam

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +271/-76
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2013, 05:30:52 PM »
Yes.

In my country, the protestants say they worship the living God who is in spirit while the Catholics worship the Jesus crucified in the cross. They also say Catholics are commiting sins by worshiping statues (idolatry).

The problem with most Protestants who say that is when Christmas roles around they put Santa (idol) in their yards, and a tree (pagan idol) in their house making them hypocrites.

The protestants also try to convert people from afro religions claiming that those religions are of the Devil.

I haven't seen it but I do live in the South. ;)

-Nam

Offline Betelnut

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2013, 05:42:41 PM »

Did you read my OP?

-Nam

LOL!  Yes, I did, I guess I just consider JWs and Mormans Christians.  But other Protestant groups also proselytize even if it's not door to door.  I grew up in the Bible Belt and those Baptists are pretty bad about trying to get you to come through their doors.

Offline Energized

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +24/-1
  • Enma Ai is GOD!
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2013, 11:00:12 AM »
I can't say I have ever heard of one denomination trying to convert another by going door to door or even preaching on a street corner.

But there are a pile of them on the internet. One group calls themselves "Bible Believing Christians" and tend to focus on the fact that if you read a translation of the bible other than the official King James version then you're going to hell.

The most sensational of these nut jobs is Dial The Truth Ministries (www.av1611.org). Take a few moments to dull your senses on this pile of crap. And this one too: http://www.biblebelievers.com/

E.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 11:01:48 AM by Energized »
'O pitiful shadow lost in the darkness,
Bringing torment and pain to others.
O damned soul wallowing in your sin.
Perhaps it is time to die?'

~Enma Ai, Jigoku Shoujo

Offline Lectus

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +17/-0
  • The messiah of mental freedom
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2013, 11:12:36 AM »
I can't say I have ever heard of one denomination trying to convert another by going door to door or even preaching on a street corner.

But there are a pile of them on the internet. One group calls themselves "Bible Believing Christians" and tend to focus on the fact that if you read a translation of the bible other than the official King James version then you're going to hell.

The most sensational of these nut jobs is Dial The Truth Ministries (www.av1611.org). Take a few moments to dull your senses on this pile of crap. And this one too: http://www.biblebelievers.com/

E.

Thank you for the info. I'm going to start using this argument (the real bible translation) to troll christians.
Religion: The belief that an all powerful God or gods created the entire universe so that we tiny humans can be happy. And we also make war about it.

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +89/-1
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2013, 11:13:39 AM »
Thanks for the links, Energised. My brain is suitably numbed!

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +230/-5
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2013, 04:27:28 PM »

E.
http://www.biblebelievers.com is now my new favorite website.

From the Doctrine of the Trinity:
The members of the Trinity work together in complete unity, totally dependant and yet totally interdependence of each other.

And this whole mess of delusional awesomesauce:
http://www.biblebelievers.com/watkins_santa/santa.html

With a pepper of extra-insanity (http://www.biblebelievers.com/Rock1.html):
Music has two purposes:
1. (To worship and glorify God.
2. To edify and build up Christians.

The American flag icon for the website just seals the deal.  I will spend untold hours laughing at this.  Thank you Energized.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2013, 08:27:26 AM »
I checked out their "find a church" section and lo and behold, thank jeezus - there's one of their approved churches just a stone's throw  ;D from my house.

If only I'd found that blessed sanctuary before my deconversion, I'd still be all saved and stuff.  I bet all my doubts were because I never used the original KJV?!?!?!  Smackething mine forehead...

Here I thought I knew a buttload of crap about the gospels (praise be to Nacho), but I'd been reading the wrong book.
 :o
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan