Author Topic: Is America Cursed?  (Read 11398 times)

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
Re: Is America Cursed?
« Reply #174 on: June 02, 2013, 06:05:01 AM »
Don't believe the bible is God's autobiography but very good point.

I dont believe god exists, but either way the bible is certainly yahweh's autobiography. and there are billions of people who also believe it. Where else can you learn about this character, yahweh? Why should I accept your disbelief in yahweh's proclaimed autobiography as opposed to the other billions who disagree with you?

I don't think anybody claims the bible to be autobiographical but biographical.

What if I put that same logic to atheism?  Why not believe in God since there are so many more believers than non believers?  If it wasn't for  Jesus they wouldn't be so attached either.

You can learn about God through your spirit.  Other cultures know of God and do not use a bible;i.e. Buddhism, Hinduism, Paganism, and many more. Christians make up 1/3 of the population so they are the ones out numbered by the other 2/3. 

When did you hear Yahweh proclaim anything?
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #175 on: June 02, 2013, 06:12:29 AM »
Should we call earthquakes in California curses?  Should we call hurricanes along the East Coast curses?

The point, junebug, is that while these things (earthquakes, hurricanes, and tornadoes) are unpleasant for the people who live there, they're not curses.  They're part and parcel of living in that area.  It's a statistical certainty that tornadoes will hit the Great Plains, earthquakes will hit California, and hurricanes will hit the East Coast.

Honestly, most of the weather extremes (tornadoes, hurricanes, deluges, heavy snow out of season, etc) we've been seeing are probably something that humans are bringing upon themselves, out of greed and stupidity.  Global climate change (caused at least in part by human activities, such as the rampant burning of fossil fuels) causes more extreme weather than normal.

Yea I know that's what I said.  Global warming could be causing more intense weather.  So glad that we can agree.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #176 on: June 02, 2013, 06:26:52 AM »

Perhaps you should check your reading comprehension. I'm rarely serious; I think I've proven that time and time again.

-Nam

Perhaps you should check your kindness skills they are very weak. ;)  Do you care anything at all about making this world better?

I scored very high on the reading comprehension part of my accuplacer test.

You did insult Anfauglir's post.  The funny part is you don't even realize it.  Maybe it's because you're blinded by your cruelty. I dunno.  I thought it was like a very long winding road.  It wore me out just looking at it.  You said it was too long and I agreed by giving you a thumbs up.

I realized you were insulting me too and I gave you the thumbs up anyway because that's how I roll. I'm nice.  It had nothing to do with a lack of comprehension.
Thomas Paine

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #177 on: June 02, 2013, 08:24:20 AM »
I don't think anybody claims the bible to be autobiographical but biographical.

What if I put that same logic to atheism?  Why not believe in God since there are so many more believers than non believers?  If it wasn't for  Jesus they wouldn't be so attached either.

You can learn about God through your spirit.  Other cultures know of God and do not use a bible;i.e. Buddhism, Hinduism, Paganism, and many more. Christians make up 1/3 of the population so they are the ones out numbered by the other 2/3. 

When did you hear Yahweh proclaim anything?
When they believe the bible is yahweh's Word. Autobiographies often times have co-writers as authors arent usually the people the have books written about them. So yahweh inspired the writers in that they were simply jotting down yahwehs words according to them. You missed the point of the billions of believers... THE POINT is why should I listen to YOU over THEM? Especially since you apparently agree this god has a name and that name is yahweh. The ONLY place you get that name is in the Jewish scriptures, or OT. So again we have you claiming to not believe in the bible and christianity, but showing again that you do.

I reject this spirit talk until you can define and demonstrate it. The funny thing about other cultures knowing of "god" these versions of "god" are often mutually exclusive; meaning if you believe in the god of the bible or koran you dont believe in the gods of other cultures thus they are also non believers. Some form of Buddhism doesnt have a god, rather a way of life. The point you seem to be missing is that ALL these god stories cannot be true. Depending on which belief you adhere to you basically conclude ALL the others are made up.
And indeed they ALL sound made up.

Never heard yahweh proclaim a thing, he doesnt exist. But that doesnt mean his collection of myths dont exist. The same way Peter Parker was bitten by a spider to become Spider Man, yahweh inspired/wrote yahweh's word. Its all comic books.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #178 on: June 02, 2013, 12:35:02 PM »

When they believe the bible is yahweh's Word. Autobiographies often times have co-writers as authors arent usually the people the have books written about them. So yahweh inspired the writers in that they were simply jotting down yahwehs words according to them. You missed the point of the billions of believers... THE POINT is why should I listen to YOU over THEM? Especially since you apparently agree this god has a name and that name is yahweh. The ONLY place you get that name is in the Jewish scriptures, or OT. So again we have you claiming to not believe in the bible and christianity, but showing again that you do.

I reject this spirit talk until you can define and demonstrate it. The funny thing about other cultures knowing of "god" these versions of "god" are often mutually exclusive; meaning if you believe in the god of the bible or koran you dont believe in the gods of other cultures thus they are also non believers. Some form of Buddhism doesnt have a god, rather a way of life. The point you seem to be missing is that ALL these god stories cannot be true. Depending on which belief you adhere to you basically conclude ALL the others are made up.
And indeed they ALL sound made up.

Never heard yahweh proclaim a thing, he doesnt exist. But that doesnt mean his collection of myths dont exist. The same way Peter Parker was bitten by a spider to become Spider Man, yahweh inspired/wrote yahweh's word. Its all comic books.

I have never called God Yahweh. I did it for you because that is who you said you heard.  You don't have to listen to me no more than I have to listen to you.

Where do you get strength from if your physical strength is gone?  I have demonstrated a strong spirit by surviving a traumatic childhood and turning  it into something good; a desire to help others.  There are many stories of people overcoming great obstacles because of their strong spirit.  People that survive cancer or other health problems have a strong spirit.  That is not to say that people that do not survive have not got a strong spirit if they fought as hard as they could they too have a strong spirit/will to survive.

If he doesn't exist there is no way he wrote an autobiography. lol

Ok, I think God Loves us and that's inspired by God.  Did he just add to his autobiography? Change it?
Thomas Paine

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #179 on: June 02, 2013, 03:52:05 PM »
I have never called God Yahweh. I did it for you because that is who you said you heard.  You don't have to listen to me no more than I have to listen to you.

Where do you get strength from if your physical strength is gone?  I have demonstrated a strong spirit by surviving a traumatic childhood and turning  it into something good; a desire to help others.  There are many stories of people overcoming great obstacles because of their strong spirit.  People that survive cancer or other health problems have a strong spirit.  That is not to say that people that do not survive have not got a strong spirit if they fought as hard as they could they too have a strong spirit/will to survive.

Ok, I think God Loves us and that's inspired by God.  Did he just add to his autobiography? Change it?
You asserted that the bible is not yahweh's autobiography. When infact it is. It is a work of fiction, an autobiographical work of fiction. It may not be Krishna's autobiography, but it is yahweh's.

You have not demonstrated your physical strength was gone. If you mean energy was gone, then once it is gone, you have no more plain and simple. Plenty people survive traumatic childhoods and different experiences. That is not evidence of a spirit. You have yet to define a spirit.

No, your assertion that the god you made up loves us would not be a part of yahwehs autobiography. You would have to let  your god "inspire" you to copy down its "Word" if you want your god to have an autobiography too. But what it shows is that all these stories are  myths.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #180 on: June 03, 2013, 07:39:15 AM »

You asserted that the bible is not yahweh's autobiography. When infact it is. It is a work of fiction, an autobiographical work of fiction. It may not be Krishna's autobiography, but it is yahweh's.

You have not demonstrated your physical strength was gone. If you mean energy was gone, then once it is gone, you have no more plain and simple. Plenty people survive traumatic childhoods and different experiences. That is not evidence of a spirit. You have yet to define a spirit.

No, your assertion that the god you made up loves us would not be a part of yahwehs autobiography. You would have to let  your god "inspire" you to copy down its "Word" if you want your god to have an autobiography too. But what it shows is that all these stories are  myths.

wiki:
An autobiography is a self-written account of the life of a person.

I figured you would say that. I defined spirit in detail in the Believing in God is not a bad thing thread.  Spirit is the same thing as life.  When your spirit leaves your body, the body dies and the spirit moves on. IMO and many others your spirit never dies.  You can convince me God doesn't exist before you could convince me living things don't have spirit. 

I didn't need physical strength to survive that childhood.  I needed spiritual strength.   I had no will to live.  It was my strong spirit that saw me through.  My spirit overcome the hurt and desperation, not my muscles.

I said it was inspired by God.  I believe there is 1 God that has many interpretations so my God is the same as biblical God just a different interpretation.  I do not interpret God the same as Moses or Abraham, or David or the church next door.  The bible is their interpretation not an autobiography.

Please get back on topic.

Thomas Paine

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #181 on: June 03, 2013, 08:36:41 AM »
I think the whole autobiography argument has run its course.  Let's please move on.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +58/-14
« Reply #182 on: June 03, 2013, 09:07:25 AM »
<snip>
however assuming that there is a magical solution can you please tell me why would god curse a country, a region, and a group of people who had nothing to do with the attrocities you mentioned.    I am sure that people of tornado ally are no less godless than those in NYC.  I wager that the peoples houses sucked up were not all atheists. 

Why would god curse a region of people who never killed an indian, or had a slave in their house or their grandmothers, or their grandmothers grandmothers house. <snip>
In his autobiography, the bible, yahweh says he will punish the children for the sins of the father. generation after generation.
Even states that bastard children wont make it to heaven...

good ol yahweh, always just!

I am not sure what you are saying about Yahweh?  But I think thus far the exact opposite is happening.  America's lives a charmed life even thought much evil went into our current standard of living.  We cry about a couple of hardships but generally that is just whining because we live such a charmed life.  It is like the poor guy in drought stricken African village,  he is glad when he finds a piece of moldy bread and not too spoiled meat.  We cry when we cant afford a new refrigerator with out an ice maker.

Offline epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +58/-14
« Reply #183 on: June 03, 2013, 09:21:52 AM »
Honestly, most of the weather extremes (tornadoes, hurricanes, deluges, heavy snow out of season, etc) we've been seeing are probably something that humans are bringing upon themselves, out of greed and stupidity.  Global climate change (caused at least in part by human activities, such as the rampant burning of fossil fuels) causes more extreme weather than normal.

Were it not for the burning of fossil fuels we would have much greater human suffering on a smaller population.  Fossil fuels for better or worse are responsible for the human condition.  With out them we would be living in pete shacks with dirt floors and eeking out an existence from the land. 

Modern medicine, electricity, food production, food distribution, basically everything we take for granted is a byproduct of fossil fuels. 

PS most people who lambast the "greed of society" would not give up the money they spend on their luxuries in more than a token way.  I doubt any of you would give up your TV let alone your food, clothing and shelter to basic sustinance levels to support people in true poverty.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #184 on: June 03, 2013, 09:41:49 AM »

Were it not for the burning of fossil fuels we would have much greater human suffering on a smaller population.  Fossil fuels for better or worse are responsible for the human condition.  With out them we would be living in pete shacks with dirt floors and eeking out an existence from the land. 

Modern medicine, electricity, food production, food distribution, basically everything we take for granted is a byproduct of fossil fuels. 

PS most people who lambast the "greed of society" would not give up the money they spend on their luxuries in more than a token way.  I doubt any of you would give up your TV let alone your food, clothing and shelter to basic sustinance levels to support people in true poverty.

The topic of your PS merits it's own thread. There's some broad assertions in there that are worth discussing if you actually want to talk about them.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #185 on: June 03, 2013, 10:13:35 AM »

I am not sure what you are saying about Yahweh?  But I think thus far the exact opposite is happening.  America's lives a charmed life even thought much evil went into our current standard of living.  We cry about a couple of hardships but generally that is just whining because we live such a charmed life.  It is like the poor guy in drought stricken African village,  he is glad when he finds a piece of moldy bread and not too spoiled meat.  We cry when we cant afford a new refrigerator with out an ice maker.

It is not very charming to live in pain because you can not afford the health care required for fixing it.  It is not charming to tell your children that they can't have things as nice as the other kids at school.  It is not charming to work your a$$ off at a full time job and still not be able to pay your bills and buy your family nice things that would make their lives easier.  I guess what pisses me off the most is the illusion that the American Dream is accessible to all when it is not.  The odds are clearly stacked against the poor.
Thomas Paine

Offline epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +58/-14
« Reply #186 on: June 03, 2013, 12:35:58 PM »

It is not very charming to live in pain because you can not afford the health care required for fixing it.  It is not charming to tell your children that they can't have things as nice as the other kids at school.  It is not charming to work your a$$ off at a full time job and still not be able to pay your bills and buy your family nice things that would make their lives easier.  I guess what pisses me off the most is the illusion that the American Dream is accessible to all when it is not.  The odds are clearly stacked against the poor.

yes there is stratification in America.  all those things are inconveniences when compared with true suffering.  The poorest of americans live lives of luxury compared with the poor in Ethiopia...

You cite a laundry list of problems but in the grand scheme of the cursed Americas lot in life is far better than most and worse than a few.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
« Reply #187 on: June 03, 2013, 12:51:28 PM »
If America is where you live and experience difficulties, it doesn't really matter to you if things are worse elsewhere. The problem doesn't shrink in reality just because we have better medical facilities, if those services remain out of your reach. True suffering, as you called it, is still a relative thing. The worst pain I've experienced remains the worst pain I've experienced, even though I understand subjectively that being burned in a fire would be much more painful. The fact that others have bigger challenges in meeting their daily needs does not diminish the difficulties of being poor in America if America is where you are being poor.

I realize that we have it very good here in many respects but I don't feel guilty for an accident of birth.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +58/-14
« Reply #188 on: June 03, 2013, 02:53:12 PM »
If America is where you live and experience difficulties, it doesn't really matter to you if things are worse elsewhere. The problem doesn't shrink in reality just because we have better medical facilities, if those services remain out of your reach. True suffering, as you called it, is still a relative thing. The worst pain I've experienced remains the worst pain I've experienced, even though I understand subjectively that being burned in a fire would be much more painful. The fact that others have bigger challenges in meeting their daily needs does not diminish the difficulties of being poor in America if America is where you are being poor.

I realize that we have it very good here in many respects but I don't feel guilty for an accident of birth.

No but it deminishes the cursed nature of things.   Because to be cursed you have to show how it is worse than other things.  America thus far is blessed by virtually any measure against the collective experience of humanity.

On a personal level you may feel something is the worst pain, but when you find yourself complaining that daddy took your lamborgini and american express away it helps to put your problems in scale with the rest of the world.  Personally I find it takes the edge off of some of my complaints in life when I put things in perspective.

If we are cursed it is about the best level of being cursed.  Lott as the story goes was cursed.  you could say the people killed by the twister were cursed.  But america is as a whole blessed. 

We may forget some people along the way but the vast majority of people in america have the opportunity to achieve at least a level that is better than 90% of the worlds experience.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +888/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #189 on: June 03, 2013, 03:22:33 PM »
If we are cursed it is about the best level of being cursed.....
We may forget some people along the way but the vast majority of people in america have the opportunity to achieve at least a level that is better than 90% of the worlds experience.

QFT
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
« Reply #190 on: June 03, 2013, 03:54:30 PM »

No but it deminishes the cursed nature of things.   Because to be cursed you have to show how it is worse than other things.  America thus far is blessed by virtually any measure against the collective experience of humanity.

On a personal level you may feel something is the worst pain, but when you find yourself complaining that daddy took your lamborgini and american express away it helps to put your problems in scale with the rest of the world.  Personally I find it takes the edge off of some of my complaints in life when I put things in perspective.

If we are cursed it is about the best level of being cursed.  Lott as the story goes was cursed.  you could say the people killed by the twister were cursed.  But america is as a whole blessed. 

Apologies then - I misunderstood your point to be "Americans are spoiled" rather than "Americans are not cursed".

Offline epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +58/-14
« Reply #191 on: June 03, 2013, 10:14:36 PM »
Yes ~But spoiled again is too strong.  All first worlders are "spoiled."

But virtually anyone who is offered a nice life will take it.
 I think the term spoiled is prejudicial as well as suggesting
Americans are exclusively subject to wanting a good life. 

I also believe people are generally myopic when considering their
Lot in life.  When you have lived a charmed life the problems
You experience seem bad.  It is not caused by being spoiled
It is caused by human nature

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #192 on: June 04, 2013, 08:42:22 AM »
I wish for poverty to be abolished in every nation.  It's not right no matter where you live.  If America led the way it would be a great Honor.  I have this feeling that it is going to be the son of the Late Princess Diana.  I really see him being the greatest leader of all times because of who his mother is and the nontraditional manner in which she raised him.

Epidemic you have a good point.  Poor Americans are better off than poor Ethiopians and many other third world countries but that still doesn't make it right.  I like that expression "rising waters raises all ships". 

I'm also not sure if they are stacked up in ghettos where elementary age children are dodging bullets, or a school full of elementary children is shot down by a violent gunman.  I'm thinking that we may have more material things and access to food but the violence in this country is not a concern for the Ethiopian child.  I'm going to go check it out because I'm not sure. I do know there is violence in third world countries so I'm thinking I'm probably wrong.  Something is wrong with my search engine this morning. If I find out otherwise my apologies in advance.  Do they deal with drug addicted parents.  Fathers in prison selling drugs so they can live the "American Dream" the only way they know.  If their only concern is food and shelter we could easily help with that if Americans earned what they should, IMO.

Are we responsible for the world?  Sometimes I think we are and sometimes I think we need to get our own crap sorted out before we can properly help other countries, for no other reason than it's the right thing to do; no oil necessary.

Poverty reeks havoc in every country.  Losing a child to gun violence is just as sad as hunger, that is my overall point, please forgive the gibberish above.
Thomas Paine

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
« Reply #193 on: June 04, 2013, 08:56:55 AM »
... and sometimes I think we need to get our own crap sorted out before we can properly help other countries, for no other reason than it's the right thing to do...

THIS is a significant part of what I struggle with.

Offline epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +58/-14
« Reply #194 on: June 04, 2013, 12:11:19 PM »
I wish for poverty to be abolished in every nation.  It's not right no matter where you live.  If America led the way it would be a great Honor.  I have this feeling that it is going to be the son of the Late Princess Diana.  I really see him being the greatest leader of all times because of who his mother is and the nontraditional manner in which she raised him.

Epidemic you have a good point.  Poor Americans are better off than poor Ethiopians and many other third world countries but that still doesn't make it right.  I like that expression "rising waters raises all ships". 

I'm also not sure if they are stacked up in ghettos where elementary age children are dodging bullets, or a school full of elementary children is shot down by a violent gunman.  I'm thinking that we may have more material things and access to food but the violence in this country is not a concern for the Ethiopian child.  I'm going to go check it out because I'm not sure. I do know there is violence in third world countries so I'm thinking I'm probably wrong.  Something is wrong with my search engine this morning. If I find out otherwise my apologies in advance.  Do they deal with drug addicted parents.  Fathers in prison selling drugs so they can live the "American Dream" the only way they know.  If their only concern is food and shelter we could easily help with that if Americans earned what they should, IMO.

Are we responsible for the world?  Sometimes I think we are and sometimes I think we need to get our own crap sorted out before we can properly help other countries, for no other reason than it's the right thing to do; no oil necessary.

Poverty reeks havoc in every country.  Losing a child to gun violence is just as sad as hunger, that is my overall point, please forgive the gibberish above.

Again there are horrors in America, Poverty, crime, bad parents,  But again using the metric of overall quality of life per capita, we are pretty lucky. 

Oil is responsible for virtually all humans lots in life directly or indirectly.  It is the driving force that got us to where we could consider wind farms, and solar pannels. 

Were it never to have existed our population would be 1/10th of what it is today.  Families would starve and die in the wilderness when crops failed, weather was too extreme.  The whole world would be just varying shades of the third world.

I have thought about the luxuries i have...   do I need cable,  I could support a family of 5 in some third world country for that.  Do I need that new computer that is another family of 5 I could support for a year.  Do my kids need such a big christmas I could suppliment a village through hard times for that much money:)

But then I think of it this way.  Why does that poverty stricken family have 5 kids in a drought stricken region with no prospects for improvement.   If I feed them am I just creating more of a problem when those 5 little angels grow up to be 5 Breeders with 5 kids a piece that can not afford in a drought stricken area with no prospects.

Is it better to have 5 kids starve than 25 kids starve when those kids have kids.  does my donation keep them from moving to more fertile grounds where prospects are better?

But I digress.   

No america is not cursed:)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 12:17:44 PM by epidemic »

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #195 on: June 04, 2013, 11:17:02 PM »
Perhaps you should check your kindness skills they are very weak. ;)  Do you care anything at all about making this world better?

I'm generally not a nice person. And most here have known that about me since I joined the old forum in 2007. I'm not going to pretend to be something I'm not. I am who I am.

And to your question: I find it irrelevant in point of my attitude.

I scored very high on the reading comprehension part of my accuplacer test.

Also irrelevant.

You did insult Anfauglir's post.

No, I was insulting you by being sarcastic about the length of his post (which I read in it's entirety and found to be somewhat long-winded in its overall deliver <-- that is an insult to his post, not him), and your short attention span based on comments made by you previously in not actually reading what people write in totality.

The funny part is you don't even realize it.

You're an idiot.

Maybe it's because you're blinded by your cruelty. I dunno.

first i'm "mean" and now i'm "cruel"?

I thought it was like a very long winding road.  It wore me out just looking at it.  You said it was too long and I agreed by giving you a thumbs up.

Look closer.

I realized you were insulting me too and I gave you the thumbs up anyway because that's how I roll.

Bullshit.

I'm nice.

no, you're not. a nice person doesn't whine, bitch, moan, blame others for what they say and "us" not understanding you. or group all of one group together and blame them as a whole for transgressions at what they feel is directly implied or literal toward them.

if anything: you're meaner than i am.

It had nothing to do with a lack of comprehension.

If you say so.

-Nam
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 11:18:36 PM by Nam »
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #196 on: June 05, 2013, 06:45:03 AM »
Nam I am done with this petty conversation.
Thomas Paine

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
« Reply #197 on: June 05, 2013, 04:36:23 PM »
Nam I am done with this petty conversation.

I doubt it.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Online Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +92/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #198 on: June 06, 2013, 04:06:59 AM »
I wish for poverty to be abolished in every nation.  It's not right no matter where you live.  <snip>  I have this feeling that it is going to be the son of the Late Princess Diana.  I really see him being the greatest leader of all times because of who his mother is and the nontraditional manner in which she raised him.

You have to be joking? An unelected head of state brought up in an extremely privileged environment surrounded by sycophants is going to really give a toss about the common person?
Besides that the monarchy has no real power, that lies with the executive i.e. parliament. Another bunch of people brought up in an extremely privileged environment surrounded by sycophants...

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #199 on: June 06, 2013, 05:11:02 AM »
I wish for poverty to be abolished in every nation.  It's not right no matter where you live.  <snip>  I have this feeling that it is going to be the son of the Late Princess Diana.  I really see him being the greatest leader of all times because of who his mother is and the nontraditional manner in which she raised him.

You have to be joking? An unelected head of state brought up in an extremely privileged environment surrounded by sycophants is going to really give a toss about the common person?
Besides that the monarchy has no real power, that lies with the executive i.e. parliament. Another bunch of people brought up in an extremely privileged environment surrounded by sycophants...

I call it wishful thinking. lol 
Thomas Paine

Online Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +92/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #200 on: June 06, 2013, 05:23:44 AM »

It'll be interesting to see what his papa does. we'll have him as head of state first.
Charles has the potential to make or break the royals.
We could be the republic of England, Wales[1] and Northern Ireland before too long...
 1. assuming the Scots do go for separation

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +533/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #201 on: June 06, 2013, 07:15:14 AM »
I wish for poverty to be abolished in every nation.
The first thing is to decide what 'poverty' means. You know what you think it means and I know what I think it means but, I suspect we don't agree on the details. The good thing is that someone has done it for us! The Human Poverty IndexWiki. I suggest you look at the Human Poverty Index on sites other than Wiki as well. It is interesting because one of the things by which poverty is measured is knowledge - knowing things and being able to use that knowledge to work out the best course of action.

If you believe that God is either punishing or rewarding you, then there is no need for knowledge - you think you have enough "knowledge" - but what you have is ignorance - that is what keeps people poor.

There is another index too: this measures the percentage of people living on an income that is more than (IIRC) 20% below the national average income for that country.

This is useful because if we measure poverty by using the standard of "How does this country's average income compare to America?" we would find that, compared with Qatar and Luxembourg, all of America is in dire poverty. Do you think that Qatar and Luxembourg should provide Overseas Aid to the US?

Anyway, when you tell me what poverty is, I think we can progress.

You seem confused here. Look what you wrote: Your question is, "Are we responsible for the world?" Your answer is either "Yes" or "get our crap sorted out and then "Yes"." So you do think that the USA is responsible for the state of everything in the world?

That does not seem a very sensible outlook, does it? How can the USA be responsible when there are sovereign governments? Do you propose "regime change"? You know, "shock and awe!"

Poverty reeks[1] havoc in every country.  Losing a child to gun violence is just as sad as hunger, that is my overall point, please forgive the gibberish above.
 1. I think you mean "wreaks". Wreaks means "works/causes" reeks = smells appallingly.

Yes, there was a lot of gibberish. How is gun violence related to starving children in Africa?

sometimes I think we need to get our own crap sorted out...

One of the things that the superstitious tell you all the time is that "Everything is terrible and surely the end of days is upon us." Let me tell you, yes there are problems; there are problems everywhere - throughout history there have been problems everywhere - in the future there will be problems everywhere.

You see, our problems are relative to the standard of live we have been brought up to expect, and this brings us back to poverty. Poverty is but one of our problems. Poverty is relative.

To the African perhaps the problem is walking 5 miles for drinking water; for you it might be losing you car keys.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 11:29:58 AM by Graybeard »
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
« Reply #202 on: June 06, 2013, 07:22:39 PM »

"We" call it: you not knowing what you're talking about. <-- that's reality, you're living in fantasy.

If you want fantasy, go to the Magic Kingdom.

-Nam