Author Topic: A manual for creating atheists  (Read 575 times)

Offline Star Stuff

• Professor
  • Darwins +146/-2
  • Carbon-based life form.
A manual for creating atheists
« on: May 21, 2013, 05:03:43 PM »
This is a new book which can be found on Amazon, but here's an interview with the author:

http://debunkingchristianity.blogspot.ca/2013/05/peter-boghossian-on-manual-for-creating.html
God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
Re: A manual for creating atheists
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 06:33:42 PM »
I watched the first 10 minutes.  I'll watch the rest after I put my daughter to bed.

He really reminds me of a much less nerdy version of my father - who also taught critical thinking in prisons - among other places.

In the 10 minutes that I watched, he was funny and engaging, but very light on the specifics.  He kept referring to "tools" but didn't give hints as to content. 

I'll stop by after I watch the end.  Thanks for the link!

Offline Star Stuff

• Professor
  • Darwins +146/-2
  • Carbon-based life form.
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 09:14:04 AM »
It's too bad they did such a terrible job on the audio in that interview.
God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 01:04:34 PM »
Good video, and yes, it's too bad the audio quality was poor for the interviewer.

I will very likely buy the book when it's released - the author is credible, and if his writing is similar to his speaking, he'll be easy to read. I'm not really interested in converting anyone, but I'm always interested in the thinking process. I may be giving undue credit without the book being released yet, but it certainly sounds like the method could be applied to pretty much any unquestioned beliefs. That would be useful, we've all been guilty of holding on to unsupported beliefs somewhere along the way; I still discover new treasure troves in my own head all too often.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."