Author Topic: Killer Tornado in Oklahoma - god?!?!?!?!  (Read 648 times)

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
Killer Tornado in Oklahoma - god?!?!?!?!
« on: May 21, 2013, 08:59:34 AM »
I'm in Oklahoma, and after the massive tornado yesterday that has so far been credited with taking 91 lives, I'm now seeing the steady stream of folks on TV saying how god protected them, god helped workers find their children, etc.

It's a horrible, horrible tragedy here - it looks like a nuke went off.  People were still wandering around the area late last night in shock - nowhere to go, no idea where family members were, no power, gas lines ruptured and poised like ticking time bombs. 

As a newbie atheist, it sickens me to hear talk about how god "saved" so and so and to hear constant appeals for prayer.  I need to write an apology for being such a doofus and saying the same nonsense for 36 years. 

Just a few comments/questions for theists:

1. In your worldview, god sent this tornado - right into a heavy residential area that was destroyed 13 years ago by a tornado, along the exact same path, and what at the time was one of the worst in US history.

2. I watched the whole thing, start to finish.  god "made" a nice one too: it formed just west of a heavily populated area in an empty field, built up monstrous strength, then SLOWLY plowed through homes, FULL schools, hospitals, etc.  This baby was on the ground for nearly 40 minutes and for 20 miles - during work and school hours too!  If god had waited a couple days, at least school would have been out!

3. Oklahoma is firmly in the bible belt, and you cannot throw a cowchip without hitting a church.  "jeezus is in so many folks' heart" here they'd crucify you for saying you're an atheist.  Hell, half the yards are still sporting their plastic "He is risen" crosses from easter... So skygod whacked the shit out of one of his true blue bible thumping allies (again).  Brainlessly, some twit on TV just gave him credit for "finding his dog" in the rubble of a school (where up to 30 kids died (?!?!)).

4. Sorry, I had more but my stomach is turning at how senseless this line of skygod reasoning is; so I'll stop...

Finally, am I angry at this god?
Hell, no!  No more angry than I am at Zeus, Prometheus, Snow White, the easter bunny, gremlins under my bed, or any host of imaginary things in our lives.  So don't go there.  I am angry about those believers harping about god and his goodness, holding prayer vigils, etc.  Get off your knees and go help instead!

Sorry if this sounds angry - it's just a sad scenario and some leftover superstitions from the iron age are of no use....
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
Re: Killer Tornado in Oklahoma - god?!?!?!?!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 09:42:43 AM »
I understand completely. I volunteered when Joplin got smacked a few years back.  Was there 3 weeks doing feeding and stuff.  Heard the God line 20 or 30 times a day.  I guess He does move in mysterious ways because an atheist was feeding them.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +507/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 01:14:07 PM »
This reminds me of something I read in a book, about a man who was preaching that God saved him from the WTC collapse, in NYC no less.  A character in the book got so outraged at it that she got in a big argument where she said, basically, "what makes you so special that God saved you, but didn't save the thousands who actually died?"

I don't think you have to be an atheist to be upset about this kind of thing.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 01:47:00 PM »
This reminds me of something I read in a book, about a man who was preaching that God saved him from the WTC collapse, in NYC no less.  A character in the book got so outraged at it that she got in a big argument where she said, basically, "what makes you so special that God saved you, but didn't save the thousands who actually died?"

I don't think you have to be an atheist to be upset about this kind of thing.

Agreed.  I think if I'd lost someone personally, I'd be tempted to show a very nasty side if someone made such a comment to me.
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 07:18:23 AM »
It's their comfort zone. Right now "god saved them", tomorrow "god sent this tornado and killed so many because we're disobeying Him. Homosexuals impressioning our youth, atheist heathens denouncing the love of God and trying to keep good Christian beliefs out of schools..." etc., etc., it's funny how someone or something is always to blame other than themselves or it just being natural.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 08:01:15 AM »
Its clear that school was hit because of a lack of prayer there. ;)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 08:22:19 AM »
Hospitals were hit because of abortions. ;)

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 08:39:01 AM »
I wonder why god hit the hundreds of houses and businesses?

I mean, 7-11s I can understand, since god knew they sold e-cigarettes and playboy (oops, god forgot OK doesn't allow those here).  Then again they sell beer - although OK demands the low alcohol content variety - can I get some love Utah??  :)

Even stranger, god spared a huge movie theater - his tornado went right by it.  Didn't he knw there were R rated movies playing there?

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 08:50:50 AM »
OK has watered down beer?

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +174/-6
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 08:53:03 AM »
I've always thought he had lousy aim.
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 09:00:33 AM »
OK has watered down beer?

Yep, apparently the godless souls who consume beer here cannot tolerate it at alcohol contents higher than 3.25%.  Praise jeezus!   :o

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 09:03:27 AM »
I've always thought he had lousy aim.

The movie theater is now being used as a staging area for the emergency response teams.  So, we now know why skygod steered the tornado around the theater and whacked schools instead - Red Cross needs a place to stay when cleaning up his messes....

Offline Graybeard

• Professor
  • Darwins +458/-14
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 09:11:34 AM »

As a newbie atheist, it sickens me to hear talk about how god "saved" so and so and to hear constant appeals for prayer.

Does anyone ever ask why God did this or why godless Oregon/Sweden/insert <reasonably civilised area> has no tornadoes?

That said, the scenes of total devastation that we have been seeing on our TVs are horrific.
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 02:03:11 PM »
I will dutifully report on what the OK church I'm dragged to by my wife has to say about god's tornado this sunday...

I posted this on the "OK Storms" topic Nick started but it applies here - it's what the pastor of said church emailed - it's complete and utter nonsense giving god a pass and praising him all at once:

God Is Sovereign
On a more personal level, let me address the question of, how do we cope with this? If you have friends or relatives in the affected area, it's especially difficult. You're struggling with the pain of watching a loved one lose everything and the frustration of not knowing how to comfort them. Even strong Christians ask, why did this have to happen?

I want to gently remind you that God is in control. He is sovereign. This does not mean that He specifically planned a tornado to strike Moore, or Edmond, or Bethel Acres, or any of the other places recently hit. Acknowledging God's sovereignty in a world filled with suffering, however, presents a dilemma for us believers. Why does He allow natural disasters? More specifically we ask, why does He allow disasters to hit us?

The short answer? We don't know the why and never will. Only God does. But I do know this-believers who best deal with adversity and pain rely on the promises of God and cling to what they know about God's character to be true, even when they may not feel like doing so.

In the midst of disaster, God is still loving, merciful, and full of grace and always will be. He is still our rock and strength, and we can glorify Him as we offer aid and minister to those hurting around us.
[/i]

Offline churchgoingatheist

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 08:22:18 PM »
I share your sentiments about the tornados.  Your initial post is right on, and this recent one quoting the pastor underscores how nonsensical the reaction to the whole thing is. 

I keep having these urges to post this kind of response on Facebook anytime there's a comment in my news feed about the tornados, but I hold back because I I know the many friends and family I have would be upset by my feelings.  Does anyone else have that dilemma?  Recently, I was particularly upset by a tragedy of much smaller scale, but one which really got to me because I have a young daughter--the accidental death of a 2-year-old in Kentucky when her 5-year-old brother shot her with a rifle.  The gun had been given to him for his birthday, and it was kept unlocked and loaded in the house.  Then when the girl died people talked about what a Christian family they were and how it must have been God's will.  I feel the need to shout down that kind of blather, but then I think, why alienate many of my friends and family when we coexist peacefully without addressing these issues. 

Offline Betelnut

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 08:53:13 PM »
I'll never forget what one of my Mom's friends once said in reply to the comment, "It was God's will."  She said, "Yeah, and we know what a shit God is, don't we?"

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +81/-1
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 09:02:43 PM »
I just wonder whether this will latch itself to some other random thought and resurface as another of  Wayne's premonitions...?

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 07:04:23 AM »
I think a lot of the comments about it being god's will are just kneejerk responses with no thought behind them.  Sort of like the "god bless you" people say after you sneeze.

So, I tend to just give those a pass, but at some point I may snap and just unleash... I have decided to reply to the pastor's comments via email since he is spamming me with his blather aboutsovereignty.

Since the church is huge and the main pastor is insulated from the peasants, he doesn't know me from prometheus, so it will do little. But maybe I can be part of a sermon illustration about the godless and some  poor soul will start to think...