Author Topic: "9 Questions That Atheists Might Find Insulting (And the Answers)"  (Read 463 times)

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
The "regulars" here will already be familiar with most of what Greta is saying, but she says it so well (as she always does) that I thought some would find it interesting and helpful nonetheless.  I plan to bookmark it and use it in the future when I am inevitably confronted with these questions again.

Quote from: Greta Christina
Asked of Hispanic-Americans: "Are you in this country legally?" Asked of gays and lesbians and bisexuals: "How do you have sex?" Asked of transgender people: "Have you had the surgery?" Asked of African Americans: "Can I touch your hair?"

Every marginalized group has some question, or questions, that are routinely asked of them -- and that drive them up a tree; questions that have insult or bigotry or dehumanization woven into the very asking. Sometimes the questions are asked sincerely, with sincere ignorance of the offensive assumptions behind them. And sometimes they are asked in a hostile, passive-aggressive, "I'm just asking questions" manner. But it's still not okay to ask them. They're not questions that open up genuine inquiry and discourse, they're questions that close minds, much more than they open them. Even if that's not the intention. And most people who care about bigotry and marginalization and social justice -- or who just care about good manners -- don't ask them.

Here are nine questions you shouldn't ask atheists. I'm going to answer them, just this once, and then I'll explain why you shouldn't be asking them, and why so many atheists will get ticked off if you do.

Full article:
http://www.alternet.org/belief/9-questions-atheists-might-find-insulting-and-answers
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +73/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
Re: "9 Questions That Atheists Might Find Insulting (And the Answers)"
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 01:41:42 PM »
She's good. Very good.
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 02:24:51 PM »
Greta Christina says something indescribably awesome, right at the end of the article, in response to "Why are you atheists so angry?"

Atheists aren't angry because there's something wrong with us. Atheists are angry because there's something right with us. And it is messed-up beyond recognition to treat one of our greatest strengths, one of our most powerful motivating forces and one of the clearest signs of our decency, as a sign that we're flawed or broken.

A breath of fresh, clean air blowing away the stink of thousands of years of religious superstition.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 02:51:32 PM »
I guess by default, xians are never angry, huh?

Oops, I just remembered xians have "righteous anger," you know the kind jeezus had.  We atheist types have the bad kind... 
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 04:09:50 PM »
I don't say "Bless you", I give facetious remarks.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.