Author Topic: OK storms  (Read 931 times)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
Re: OK storms
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2013, 05:08:47 PM »
It is what happens when they really have no answer and feel compelled to come up with one to keep the sheep going.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline shnozzola

• Reader
  • Darwins +110/-2
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2013, 06:52:08 PM »
   A disaster like Oklahoma shows how,  while we human beings ARE at our best at a time like this - to rebuild and bounce back - continually doing the back breaking labor necessary for it all , people will continually praise a god that doesn't show up, doesn't do a thing, and isn't really there.

It's backwards, you know -  Mark 13 - Though looking, they do not see;   though listening, they do not hear or understand.   I guess while the religious actually DO every bit of the work, they feel better thinking that a god is somehow involved.  We pray, we cry, and then go back, as we must,  to the work that must be done by humanity - never giving humanity, ourselves, the credit.   It's really amazing  that this belief system hangs on - I don't understand it at all.
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2013, 07:35:56 PM »
   I guess while the religious actually DO every bit of the work, they feel better thinking that a god is somehow involved.  We pray, we cry, and then go back, as we must,  to the work that must be done by humanity - never giving humanity, ourselves, the credit.   It's really amazing  that this belief system hangs on - I don't understand it at all.

I don't understand it either.  Maybe if theists would admit it, the best "proof" for their god is the strength of this ongoing delusion, in spite of all evidence to the contrary.  lol
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
  • Philosopher, Atheist, Musician, Philanthropist
    • My Website
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2013, 06:47:31 AM »
I think this is a nicely relevant video to the constant 'Godding' following the Tornado:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/05/22/wolf-blitzer-atheist-tornado-survivor-cnn_n_3317875.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

CNN'S Wolf Blitzer Asks Atheist Tornado Survivor If She 'Thanks The Lord'
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
- Philosopher John Stuart Mill, from a Parliamentary debate (May 31, 1866);

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2013, 06:58:31 AM »
Of course. God saved that individual. But god had nothing to do with sending the tornado in the first place. And no regard at all for the people hurt, killed and made homeless by the storm. &)

Yeah, I saw similar things on a facebook page. "Thank God for those who survived..." --  what? Biblegod couldn't prevent those who didn't?

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2013, 07:28:27 AM »
I think this is a nicely relevant video to the constant 'Godding' following the Tornado:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/05/22/wolf-blitzer-atheist-tornado-survivor-cnn_n_3317875.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

What a great video.  It is just such a telling moment.  This disaster survivor, a young mom, is lovingly cuddling her wiggly toddler and telling her story of a split second decision that saved her life, and the life of her beautiful little son.

The assumption is implicit.  She certainly LOOKS like a Christian.  She is such a sweet, loving lady, who survived against the odds.  She was going to stay with her 19 month old, in the bathtub, with a mattress over them.  But for some reason, she decided to get in the car and leave.  When she came back to find her home destroyed, and saw the debris over the bathtub, she realized that she and her baby probably would not have survived if they had stayed. 

In the interview, she is almost giddy, with brief moments of reflection, as she grapples with the fact that she, and her sweet, beautiful little boy, could easily have died. 

Wolf Blitzer just can't let go of god.  After playing with the toddler, (who clearly dominates this woman's life, and is dominating the interview), Wolf declares that the mom is blessed.  She clucks politely.  He goes on to say that the kid is blessed, and that her husband is blessed, and this woman just smiles and lets it pass, as she probably does all the time. 

Then he pushes even more, and says "You've got to thank the lord, right?  Do you thank the lord?" and this poor woman, who has already been through so much, needs to out herself as an atheist on national television.

I'm guessing that in her Christian dominant community, many casual friends and acquaintances just assume that she is a Christian too.  That has got to be tough.  But when a national news anchor to make that assumption, not casually, but forcefully demanding that she talk about "the lord" rather than her survival and her family, it really illustrates the marginalization of atheists and other non-Christians. 

I found a somewhat longer version of the interview here:

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2013, 07:59:54 AM »
That was great.  Good thing her house is gone.  If not the locals would have come to it with torches.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2013, 08:44:21 AM »
That was great.  Good thing her house is gone.  If not the locals would have come to it with torches.

Sadly, you are most probably right.  I would bet you'll hear commentary in churches about how ungrateful she is and how she will happily take help from good xians.

She has been one of the most courageous things I've seen on TV about god's tornado...
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2013, 08:44:24 AM »

Don't forget the courts will take her baby away to put him in a "good Christian" home.

1984 here we come!

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2013, 02:24:09 PM »
^^^^More like Handmaid's Tale, taking the baby to give to Christians.

So, why did god bother to save an atheist family, when all those good Christians perished? I guess god just wanted more Christians with him in heaven. Especially those schoolchildren..... :'(

I can't even watch the footage involving the schools that collapsed on the kids.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2013, 04:10:08 PM »
I read on TV (CNN) that someone was talking about a 7 year old boy who died at one of the schools, I think, anyway, it said he was a "100% boy". Not to be rude but: what does that mean?

-Nam

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2013, 04:22:44 PM »
I read on TV (CNN) that someone was talking about a 7 year old boy who died at one of the schools, I think, anyway, it said he was a "100% boy". Not to be rude but: what does that mean?

-Nam
Must mean all the parts were in he right place. ;)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2013, 04:32:46 PM »
No, didn't mean that. What it said after that was a description of things he liked to do but it didn't seem to relate to what it began with.

-Nam

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
  • Philosopher, Atheist, Musician, Philanthropist
    • My Website
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2013, 05:32:55 PM »

What a great video.  It is just such a telling moment.  This disaster survivor, a young mom, is lovingly cuddling her wiggly toddler and telling her story of a split second decision that saved her life, and the life of her beautiful little son.

The assumption is implicit.  She certainly LOOKS like a Christian.  She is such a sweet, loving lady, who survived against the odds.  She was going to stay with her 19 month old, in the bathtub, with a mattress over them.  But for some reason, she decided to get in the car and leave.  When she came back to find her home destroyed, and saw the debris over the bathtub, she realized that she and her baby probably would not have survived if they had stayed. 

In the interview, she is almost giddy, with brief moments of reflection, as she grapples with the fact that she, and her sweet, beautiful little boy, could easily have died. 

Wolf Blitzer just can't let go of god.  After playing with the toddler, (who clearly dominates this woman's life, and is dominating the interview), Wolf declares that the mom is blessed.  She clucks politely.  He goes on to say that the kid is blessed, and that her husband is blessed, and this woman just smiles and lets it pass, as she probably does all the time. 

Then he pushes even more, and says "You've got to thank the lord, right?  Do you thank the lord?" and this poor woman, who has already been through so much, needs to out herself as an atheist on national television.

I'm guessing that in her Christian dominant community, many casual friends and acquaintances just assume that she is a Christian too.  That has got to be tough.  But when a national news anchor to make that assumption, not casually, but forcefully demanding that she talk about "the lord" rather than her survival and her family, it really illustrates the marginalization of atheists and other non-Christians. 

I found a somewhat longer version of the interview here:

Great description of the interview- that's exactly what I thought of it. It's sad that they are so marginalised out in the US.

In Brighton, UK where I live, it's almost weird not to be an atheist. Most of my friends are, I only have a few religious friends and none are really that serious about their faith, more like an 'I grew up like it and it's effort to change my views' lethargic religious view.

I guess we're fortunate in the UK to be incredibly secular in comparison to the states. If that tornado went through Winchester, the government would send their condolences, and the Church of England would probably tweet something, but would be mostly ignored. It's sad that in the USA, the standard procedure is to immediately surrender all of your liberty and perception of the world to a 'jeezusdiddit' viewpoint. It bodes badly for the future of the world.

I hope the woman is safe and does not get persecuted or excluded by her family and friends.

a young mom, is lovingly cuddling her wiggly toddler and telling her story of a split second decision that saved her life, and the life of her beautiful little son. The assumption is implicit.  She certainly LOOKS like a Christian.

Quesi, I also find it odd and slightly intriguing that you think she 'looks like a Christian'. It's a bizarre thing that you equate the innocence and vulnerability of a single mother instantly with being a Christian. Just shows the difference in our perception- I thought she just looked like a young mum with a 'very wiggly toddler' :P
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
- Philosopher John Stuart Mill, from a Parliamentary debate (May 31, 1866);

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2013, 06:43:42 PM »
I was wondering why Wolf even asked such a question.  Is he trying to have CNN out God FOX?

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2013, 06:55:10 PM »
Wolf's question smelled oddly like a setup for the poor mom.  Looks like he knew from either a pre interview or from something she had said off camera and he baited her into it.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2013, 07:29:29 PM »
Quesi, I also find it odd and slightly intriguing that you think she 'looks like a Christian'. It's a bizarre thing that you equate the innocence and vulnerability of a single mother instantly with being a Christian. Just shows the difference in our perception- I thought she just looked like a young mum with a 'very wiggly toddler' :P

I was sort of joking.  I mean, she is clearly a nice person, a likeable person, a loving mom, and someone who almost anyone could empathize with as someone who survived a random tragedy.  Isn't that what a Christian looks like?

Atheists are scary, mean, and certainly not loving moms.  Not the sort of folks anyone would feel empathy for!

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +131/-7
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2013, 10:20:29 PM »

Model Christian behavior without all that tithing. Tastes great, less filling ...

The assumption is implicit.  She certainly LOOKS like a Christian.  She is such a sweet, loving lady, who survived against the odds. 

KUDOS to her!

She was going to stay with her 19 month old, in the bathtub, with a mattress over them.  But for some reason, she decided to get in the car and leave.  When she came back to find her home destroyed, and saw the debris over the bathtub, she realized that she and her baby probably would not have survived if they had stayed. 

God helps those who help themselves ...

Wolf Blitzer just can't let go of god.  After playing with the toddler, (who clearly dominates this woman's life, and is dominating the interview), Wolf declares that the mom is blessed.  She clucks politely. He goes on to say that the kid is blessed, and that her husband is blessed, and this woman just smiles and lets it pass, as she probably does all the time. Then he pushes even more, and says "You've got to thank the lord, right?  Do you thank the lord?" and this poor woman, who has already been through so much, needs to out herself as an atheist on national television.

She just lets the moment slide doing the best she can to preserve her own dignity while not destroying the perp's, nor those of others who did thank the lord. Only when pushed does she very politely correct him.

YES! A very obvious example.

While I could find a way to explain Blitzer's buffoonery, such as him having everyone thank the lord in every other interview he did (I assume), I still cannot excuse his question. It was stupid. Why not go ahead and assume she is also anti-abortion and would like to blame the abortionists for god's hand tossing a tornado her way? Why not? She's in Oklahoma, right? She's a beautiful, polite, happy-looking mother of a toddler so she must be a Christian in good standing who would obviously hate an abortionist, right?

I tried to find her address, but there are no Vitsmums anywhere in Oklahoma according to White Pages. If she encounters any crap for what she did, I would be happy to help her out however I can. I would like to thank her for an outstanding performance for confronting stupidity on a national stage.

Does anyone know what FOX News did with it? They must be outraged at how the devil has vexed a young mother into being a happy atheist!

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +131/-7
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2013, 11:03:01 PM »
Andrew Sullivan gives his own spin on the Blitzer Buffoonery by quoting Pope Francis acknowledgement that even atheists may go to heaven:

"The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! ‘Father, the atheists?’ Even the atheists. Everyone! And this Blood makes us children of God of the first class! We are created children in the likeness of God and the Blood of Christ has redeemed us all! And we all have a duty to do good. And this commandment for everyone to do good, I think, is a beautiful path towards peace. If we, each doing our own part, if we do good to others, if we meet there, doing good, and we go slowly, gently, little by little, we will make that culture of encounter: we need that so much. We must meet one another doing good. ‘But I don’t believe, Father, I am an atheist!’ But do good: we will meet one another there.”

That truly is an amazing acknowledgement.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +32/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2013, 08:55:29 PM »
I was wondering why Wolf even asked such a question.  Is he trying to have CNN out God FOX?

Uhhh, because he's a pandering shill of a "journalist" ?
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips