Author Topic: OK storms  (Read 891 times)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
OK storms
« on: May 20, 2013, 05:59:46 PM »
I've been watching some of the coverage of the massive tordado in Moore, OK.  Almost everyone interviewed said something to the effect that God played a part in saving them.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +925/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
Re: OK storms
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 06:35:11 PM »
Of course. God saved that individual. But god had nothing to do with sending the tornado in the first place. And no regard at all for the people hurt, killed and made homeless by the storm. &)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 06:35:30 PM »
He couldn't spare their house at the same time? So much for omnipotence, and I'm not being flippant.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +32/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 06:50:33 PM »
  I was just listening to an interview with the Republican governor and when asked what does OK need tonight she replies: We need lots of prayers - then repeats her answer.
  I'm betting that they won't have any problems requesting help from the evil Federal government.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 08:33:14 PM »
I see where President Obama has offered assistance as needed to the Gov. of Ok.  Made me think...wasn't it the senators/representatives from OK that voted against and help hold up aid for NY and NJ for Hurricane Sandy?

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 08:51:38 PM »
  I was just listening to an interview with the Republican governor and when asked what does OK need tonight she replies: We need lots of prayers - then repeats her answer.

Yea I'm hearing people on news channels say "pray". Isn't it too late for that? I think it's just a dumb remark that people blurt out when they don't have anything useful to add.

They did say it may have been the most powerful tornado in the history of the U.S.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 09:09:58 PM »
All those gays, whores and abortionists in Oklahoma have caused god's wrath. Oklahoma should repeal their gay marriage permits, their managed prostitution laws and shut down the 500 abortion clinics that exist.
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 09:13:42 PM »
The storm system took out several houses where my sister lives in eastern Missouri.  Damaged her place a bit, ripped off most of the siding and bowed out a wall she said.  The really heavy stuff south of her is making a b-line toward me here in central IL and should hit me in a few hours.  Looks like it's gonna be a late night.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 09:19:18 PM »
All those gays, whores and abortionists in Oklahoma have caused god's wrath.

Against schoolchildren no less.

God is such a mystery.  :o

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 09:20:00 PM »
Stay safe. Those bomb shelters from the 1950s offer an advantage right now.
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 09:28:24 PM »
Early reports seem to indicate that an entire class of third graders were doing duck and cover in the hallway of the building that is now reduced to rubble.  I am haunted by the image of the little 9 year olds and the teacher charged with protecting these children.  Children and teachers terrified together.  The teachers assuring the children that they were safe.

Somewhere someone is saying that god is angry because he is not welcome in the schools.  And that he had a temper tantrum and took it out on these innocent children and teachers. 

Why would a god like that be worthy of anyone's worship?

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 09:33:19 PM »
Meanwhile in another part of the country somebody prayed for god to help them find their car keys, and the prayer worked!

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 10:14:17 PM »
Go on up you baldhead.

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 12:05:41 AM »
The storm system took out several houses where my sister lives in eastern Missouri.  Damaged her place a bit, ripped off most of the siding and bowed out a wall she said.  The really heavy stuff south of her is making a b-line toward me here in central IL and should hit me in a few hours.  Looks like it's gonna be a late night.

Please stay as safe as you can, rev. Let us know how you fared.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 08:19:02 AM »
^It turned out to be a whole lot of nothing.  I was watching the radar and it was predicting a pocket of strong storm to hit my little town.  As it neared it died in intensity, threw a bunch of wind and rain but nothing terrible, then gained back in intensity after it passed.  Three inches of rain and a few small tree limbs on the ground is what I got.  Filled up a creek near my house pretty good.

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 09:15:00 AM »
Meanwhile in another part of the country somebody prayed for god to help them find their car keys, and the prayer worked!

I'm in OK...

Good point!  Somebody here also praised god this morning for finding his dog in the rubble of one of the schools god hit with a tornado - the guy didn't mention the kids god killed in the same school...  :o
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 09:41:24 AM »
^It turned out to be a whole lot of nothing.  I was watching the radar and it was predicting a pocket of strong storm to hit my little town.  As it neared it died in intensity, threw a bunch of wind and rain but nothing terrible, then gained back in intensity after it passed.  Three inches of rain and a few small tree limbs on the ground is what I got.  Filled up a creek near my house pretty good.

Thanks for the update.

I'm in OK...

Good point!  Somebody here also praised god this morning for finding his dog in the rubble of one of the schools god hit with a tornado - the guy didn't mention the kids god killed in the same school...  :o

Claiming your god is all-powerful but somehow not responsible for (or powerless to prevent) bad things from happening is baffling to me. It was a major stumbling block when I was a Christian; I couldn't resolve it so I ignored it as much as possible. I suspect that's how most believers deal with it.

--Marcus Aurelius

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 09:47:29 AM »
wright - Claiming your god is all-powerful but somehow not responsible for (or powerless to prevent) bad things from happening is baffling to me. It was a major stumbling block when I was a Christian; I couldn't resolve it so I ignored it as much as possible. I suspect that's how most believers deal with it.

I agree... in my believer days I wore the same sort of blinders; god got credit for the goodies but a pass on the baddies.  As a matter of fact, I'd say some pre-programmed line about "the world is bad because of the fall" - never making the next logical leap that skygod orchestrated all the nonsesne as a setup to begin with.
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 03:25:43 PM »
Well, one of the OK senators has come out and said he would not support relief from the fed gov for OK unless it is offset by taking it from some other program.  At least the asshole is consistent.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 03:30:11 PM »
Well, one of the OK senators has come out and said he would not support relief from the fed gov for OK unless it is offset by taking it from some other program.  At least the asshole is consistent.

Must be Tom Coburn - obviously his neighborhood wasn't hit.  He's a fiscal hawk who says that about "everything," but yet voted for the stimulus (??).

Offline riley2112

• Graduate
  • Darwins +40/-9
  • learn to laugh at yourself. I am.
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 03:36:55 PM »
God must have been watching out for you..lol
Most people think they know what they know. The problem starts by not knowing what you don't know. You know?  (Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence)   (Albert Einstein)One fool can ask more questions in a minute than twelve wise men can answer in an hour.
--Nikolai Lenin

Offline riley2112

• Graduate
  • Darwins +40/-9
  • learn to laugh at yourself. I am.
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 03:41:54 PM »

[/quote]

Claiming your god is all-powerful but somehow not responsible for (or powerless to prevent) bad things from happening is baffling to me. It was a major stumbling block when I was a Christian; I couldn't resolve it so I ignored it as much as possible. I suspect that's how most believers deal with it.
[/quote] That is I dealt with it. Or I would say something like "No one should question the will of God" now that I look back, I find it hard to believe I was that stupid.
Most people think they know what they know. The problem starts by not knowing what you don't know. You know?  (Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence)   (Albert Einstein)One fool can ask more questions in a minute than twelve wise men can answer in an hour.
--Nikolai Lenin

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 03:46:27 PM »
God must have been watching out for you..lol
The Flying Spaghetti Monster be praised!!  May you all also be touched by his noodly appendage. 

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 04:10:30 PM »
Although I've dumped theism, I still go to church with the family here in Oklahoma...

Here's what a pastor locally had to say about the storms.  It makes no sense to me - maybe the bright folks here can figure it out - it all sounded like blah, blah, blah to me: 

God Is Sovereign

On a more personal level, let me address the question of, how do we cope with this? If you have friends or relatives in the affected area, it's especially difficult. You're struggling with the pain of watching a loved one lose everything and the frustration of not knowing how to comfort them. Even strong Christians ask, why did this have to happen?

I want to gently remind you that God is in control. He is sovereign. This does not mean that He specifically planned a tornado to strike Moore, or Edmond, or Bethel Acres, or any of the other places recently hit. Acknowledging God's sovereignty in a world filled with suffering, however, presents a dilemma for us believers. Why does He allow natural disasters? More specifically we ask, why does He allow disasters to hit us?

The short answer? We don't know the why and never will. Only God does. But I do know this-believers who best deal with adversity and pain rely on the promises of God and cling to what they know about God's character to be true, even when they may not feel like doing so.

In the midst of disaster, God is still loving, merciful, and full of grace and always will be. He is still our rock and strength, and we can glorify Him as we offer aid and minister to those hurting around us.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2013, 04:12:47 PM »
^^^  I think all that simultaneously gives god a pass and says we don't know anything except the one who created all this and let the tornado smash us and kill us is actually a good thing to love and worship.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 04:23:21 PM »
We are like ants to God.  We built and he steps on it and laughs.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +925/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 04:32:16 PM »
In that sermon, you could substitute the name of any recent dictator and it would make as much sense. More, since the dictators actually exist. Works real well with Kim Jung Il.

Also, notice how it is still human beings who have to "offer aid and minister to those hurting".... What does god do again?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 04:55:00 PM »

Also, notice how it is still human beings who have to "offer aid and minister to those hurting".... What does god do again?

great point, the peasants do all the elbow work and the great leader gets the credit.

I at least like how he said we will "never" know why all this happened. Oops... won't skygod tell them what the big secrets were when they get to magik heaven??

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 04:58:14 PM »
I want to gently remind you that God is in control.
Two parts jump out at me.  This first one, ultimately shows that he is the one responsible. 

In the midst of disaster, God is still loving, merciful, and full of grace and always will be. He is still our rock and strength, and we can glorify Him as we offer aid and minister to those hurting around us.
And this.  Imagine being the parent of one of the children who drowned in the basement of the school.  As people come to pay their respects at the funeral, imagine someone saying this to you.  Can you feel God's mercy?  Can you feel his grace?  Can you feel his love as your child's casket is lowed into the ground?  Personally I would feel a sting in my fist as I knocked out the teeth of the inconsiderate bastard who uttered such filth. 

This is the god who has the ability to raise the dead while alive (Lazarus) and even after his own death (zombie saints after the crucifixion).  Here is a perfect opportunity to show that mercy and love and resurrect the dead children, hell, all those who were killed.  But I am willing to bet everything I own that no such event would ever or will ever happen.  No matter how many prayers are said and tears are shed will the god with the ability to raise the dead will ever do so.  The god of love, mercy, and grace will never grace the grieving parents with their children smiles.  The vomit that is spewed by pastors after such events make me wish we could find the tomb of Jesus so I could spit on it.

I could accept the answer of "I don't know" if it were left at that.  But to add that one should attempt to glorify the one ultimately responsible for the death of children is horrendously vile.