Author Topic: What do you mean by "Atheist"?  (Read 2829 times)

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
Re: What do you mean by "Atheist"?
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2013, 09:33:56 PM »
No, your question assumes a deliberateness of purpose.  Natural processes that lead us to have hard-wired instincts are no different, in principle, from ones that don't.

Does that suggest that at some point in early human brains there was no instinct to seek answers? That seems unlikely.
Go on up you baldhead.

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +272/-31
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2013, 10:09:36 PM »
I don't know.  Does it mean that?

The specific point in time at which our ancestors acquired that trait is sort of beside the point.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2013, 10:18:25 PM »
I don't know either, but I find it interesting. Anyway, off topic. Good thing I started the thread.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2013, 06:04:19 AM »
^^ Who did the hard-wiring mentioned in the House quote?

Coincidence and luck.

It seems to assume a deliberateness of purpose.

It only does seem that way because you're a theist. It's called "bias".
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2013, 01:37:46 PM »
No, your question assumes a deliberateness of purpose.  Natural processes that lead us to have hard-wired instincts are no different, in principle, from ones that don't.

Does that suggest that at some point in early human brains there was no instinct to seek answers? That seems unlikely.

Actually the concept of "why?" is the core of sapience. However if you watch an ape, dog, or cat, seeking out the source of an unusual smell or noise...you are looking at the very primitive instinctual origins of "why?"
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.