Author Topic: Your favorite arguments for creationism  (Read 5089 times)

Offline viocjit

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Your favorite arguments for creationism
« on: May 19, 2013, 02:18:53 PM »
In this topic I will to list some of my favorite arguments against evolution.

1.This is write in the Bible. Also it does exist this other version : This is in the Qur'an.
You say that this is write in your holy book do you know another source who can confirm that ?

2.If we compare fossiles and the species of our decade we can see that the species never changed.
Learn more about DNA , also learn more about taxonomy.
A.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dna
B.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxonomy_%28biology%29

3.If we are a descendent of the monkeys why monkeys are always present on the earth ?
Because we are not a descendent from monkeys of our decade because you must to know that monkeys and humans are from a same species who are not on earth now.

4.The evolution theory don't explain the apparition of the life on earth therefore this is false.
That is not the goal of evolution theory you must learn the differences between abiogenesis and evolution theory.
Evolution theory explain the evolution of species and abiogenesis explain the apparition of the life on the earth.

5.How the mutations can create a new species ?
That take billions of years , the DNA have a mutation around 0,9% (for humans) by generation.
Conclusion : that is the reason who explain why a new specie will never come from the stomach of a woman.

Do you know others funny arguments againts evolution ?

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +72/-1
Re: Your favorite arguments for creationism
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 02:49:07 PM »
Maybe not funny, but my favorites are irreducible complexity and the fine tuning argument. These are my favorites because they are the most clever and compelling arguments that creationists have come up with, yet they are still fatally flawed. When the best of the best don't cut it, there's little reason to waste any time or effort on the rest, which range from the merely poor to the profoundly stupid.

Offline Tonus

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +28/-0
  • WWGHA Member
    • Stuff I draw
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 11:49:40 AM »
Maybe not funny, but my favorites are irreducible complexity and the fine tuning argument.

I think that the most important factor in those arguments is the direction they are coming from.  Notice that creationists aren't trying to prove that the Biblical story is true through evidence; they are trying to imply that it is the only option left if you can sow sufficient doubt in the alternatives.  It is really just an extension of the Argument from Design.

Person A: so you believe that god made the universe?  What evidence do you have?
Person B: just look at that night sky!!!

Offline Noman Peopled

• Reader
  • Darwins +24/-1
  • [insert wittycism]
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 03:10:48 PM »
"I don't just believe it. I know it."
"Deferinate" itself appears to be a new word... though I'm perfectly carmotic with it.
-xphobe

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 04:47:17 AM »
2.If we compare fossiles and the species of our decade we can see that the species never changed.

In the old days (ie. before we had the fossils) people pointed to ancient Egyptian art. That was the oldest art known (at the time) and was presumed to have been drawn shortly after the creation of Earth. And people went "look the animals on that art look a lot like animals today ... therefor, no evolution!"
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline viocjit

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 06:30:07 AM »

In the old days (ie. before we had the fossils) people pointed to ancient Egyptian art. That was the oldest art known (at the time) and was presumed to have been drawn shortly after the creation of Earth. And people went "look the animals on that art look a lot like animals today ... therefor, no evolution!"

But there are a problem in theirs manner to think. Egyptian art are some thousand of years old and evolution take billions of years.

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 07:08:53 AM »
^^ Like I said, at the time (mid to late 19th century), you could still claim Earth was 6000-10000 years old without being laughed at[1].
Now, of course, Darwin made a back of the envelope calculation of Earth's age, based on the erosion of La Manche and arrived at 'at least 480 million years'. So, the basic argument was really that Darwin's 480 M years was wrong ... still, when did theists ever let logic get in the way, right?
 1.  ... too much

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 12:51:29 PM »
As a theist... I used to love the argument "all this couldn't come from nothing, tornado in a junkyard, blah, blah, blah..."

I later learned how flawed those comments were.  I also learned creationists preach to their fellow laypeople and not  to scientists.  Their flawed arguments only stand up to those who don't listen to or pursue the science.
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 01:04:08 PM »
As a theist... I used to love the argument "all this couldn't come from nothing, tornado in a junkyard, blah, blah, blah..."

I later learned how flawed those comments were.  I also learned creationists preach to their fellow laypeople and not  to scientists.  Their flawed arguments only stand up to those who don't listen to or pursue the science.

where are your wife and kids on this one?
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +732/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 01:40:43 PM »
I love the old fossil/geology one, where they claim fossils are dated by the rock layers they are found in, and that in turn the rock layers are dated by the fossils found in them. Creationists insist this is true, though of course it isn't.

They laugh at the circular logic. And then turn to their bible. Irony at its strongest.

Apparently god never thought actual information important. Hence neither do fundy's.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 02:53:17 PM »

where are your wife and kids on this one?

Ouch... same place I was before the great awakening. 
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +347/-7
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 03:33:54 PM »
Were you there?
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard

Offline alexreflex

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • ukelele player
    • my songs
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 08:53:31 PM »
because there is no santa evidence on the north pole.  because poor kids don't get santa presents.  oh, wait, we're listing arguments FOR creationism? 
don't take the last 2 donuts.  leave 1 for the next.

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 01:27:49 AM »
Santa does prove creation, just look at all the toy dinosaurs he brought kids throughout the ages!

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 12:14:38 PM »
How the banana was perfectly 'designed' to fit the human hand.  &)
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +280/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 12:15:40 PM »
How the banana was perfectly 'designed' to fit the human hand&)

Bold mine.
Among other things. ;D
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +256/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 12:24:00 PM »
  • Outer space is big and mostly empty.
  • Ice exists.
  • Cows exist.
  • Therefore, the Norse creation myth, with the chaotic void spawning a giant humanoid frozen in a block of ice, and a cow freeing him by licking away the ice, makes perfect sense.[1]

1. For values of "sense" ->0.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 02:59:05 PM »
^^^^  I think you just proved how ice cream evolved...   ;D

mmmm.... ice cream!

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +256/-3
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 05:45:56 PM »
^^^^  I think you just proved how ice cream evolved...   ;D

mmmm.... ice cream!

I love ice cream; in fact,  I made some spumoni from scratch last weekend.  Unfortunately I can't have any till I'm done with the day's activities and the car's parked in the garage, due to the *um* liberal use of white rum in the mix.

But if I ever attempt to invent a neo-Icelandic ice cream flavour like Vinatarta and Cream, or Harðfiskur Ripple... Make Me stop.  Please!  :o

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2013, 01:18:18 AM »
You have to wonder just how much mjød Bjorn the silly viking had in him when he came up with that story.

Silly Bjorn: So, there's this cow, right, and she's licking this dude ...
Contrarian Bjorn: A cow licking a guy? Bjorn, I don't want to know about your sex life.
Levelheaded Bjorn: Let Bjorn finish the story, Bjorn. So, Bjorn, why was the cow licking the guy?
Silly Bjorn: You see, Bjorn, the guy was ... covered in ... honey!
Contrarian Bjorn: Honey?! Bjorn, have you looked outside, this side of the 8th century? Seen even a single bee, have you?
Silly Bjorn: Nonono, I mean ... ice! Yeah, he was covered in ice, a whole block of ice! And then ...

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2013, 09:30:12 AM »
Fiji, are you cross-pollenating threads here?  Now we have bovine sex acts and somewhere else you are talking about flower sex parts.     :laugh:

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2013, 09:34:54 AM »
Back to the OP topic...

I heard this one last night from a believer - "look at that sunset, how beautiful it is, could it be anything but god who did all this?" 

Me: "too bad that sun kills so many of us with skin cancer and dehydration."

Believer: (after weird look at me like I'd just volunteered to lick his ankles) "well, even the sun is affected by sin."

Me: Enjoy the sunset...

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +89/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2013, 09:35:14 AM »
Fiji, are you cross-pollenating threads here?  Now we have bovine sex acts and somewhere else you are talking about flower sex parts.     :laugh:
[aside] someone seems to be a little obsessed with quite kinky stuff ATM[/aside]

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2013, 09:38:42 AM »
[aside] someone seems to be a little obsessed with quite kinky stuff ATM[/aside]

:( They're on to me!

Must divert ... Look! There! A living bundle of spaghetti!

Offline Illy 7

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2013, 07:59:24 AM »
After 3 posts I make it into a new thread

In a hope you can't reject the obvious

You made a mistake thinking about inanimate matter only – once you replace it with alive being, you come to assumption a time had no beginning

No matter how fast he moves, or how still he might become, a clock keeps counting his every next moment

Simply put it backward and imagine any moment before

With a 50 / 50 chance anything imaginable could merely dwell out there

- forever frozen worlds

- forever frozen cars and people

- a bottle in the outer space

- and a myriad other matters are nothing but a natural part of reality

You might belong to any of these matters

Your Ancestors could be ready-to-wear or had evolved / temporarily or steady / conscious or unconscious life forms

Nobody came on Earth for real

Should you belong to one with me race – your soul is motionless, should you belong to another matter – you never can get in due to the tangible difference between us

We stay forever were we had being created first, around you are hardware and devices – everything is located in a quite different than anything you are used to space

Everything points to assumption the hole world except my Kinship had being put in Matrix

- in spite a myriad UFO sightings nobody made a contact with you

- in spite any plea for help, nobody came to rescue you

I were first to tell you a truth about the world, let me assume – my Foremother is the only true Godess, my Kinship and our friends are stronger than anybody else

I just don’t give a damn about anything and anyone, any reason and any threat they pose upon me

Step 1 – you remember anything you can remember

Step 2 – we call for help an actual Rulers and our friends
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 08:07:31 AM by Illy 7 »

Offline SkyWriting

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +9/-75
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2013, 09:27:16 AM »

But there are a problem in theirs manner to think. Egyptian art are some thousand of years old and evolution take billions of years.

Evolution doesn't even take one generation. 
Environmental factors can change the DNA of living organisms. 

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2013, 09:45:29 AM »
Evolution doesn't even take one generation. 

Citation please? 
Git mit uns

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +256/-3
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2013, 05:53:34 PM »

This is actually true -- Radiation and carcinogenic chemicals do cause alterations in DNA.  However, it isn't evolution until that DNA is passed down to a descendant.

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2013, 02:50:15 AM »
This is actually true -- Radiation and carcinogenic chemicals do cause alterations in DNA.  However, it isn't evolution until that DNA is passed down to a descendant.

Correct, and not just passed down but actually enhances adaptive fitness (or sexual attractiveness) somewhere down the track  ;)

But I think SW may be confusing his own red herrings  :?   I'm going to wait to see his references  :angel:   
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 02:58:48 AM by William »
Git mit uns