Author Topic: Don't expect an atheist president anytime soon  (Read 3607 times)

Offline holybuckets

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +3/-34
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Don't expect an atheist president anytime soon
« on: May 17, 2013, 09:18:39 PM »
A Gallup poll says atheists are the least likely group Americans would vote to be president. Muslims stand a better chance!

http://www.gallup.com/poll/155285/Atheists-Muslims-Bias-Presidential-Candidates.aspx

Offline Graybeard

• Darwins +456/-14
  • Is this going somewhere?
Re: Don't expect an atheist president anytime soon
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 05:44:21 AM »
How shameful is that! What an insult to the openmindedness of the American people who do not seem to be able to think past prejudice and to "who is the best candidate for the job". What a strange way to choose a leader!

I mean, if that poll had been in Iran, I suspect that the figures for an atheist would be about the same. What does that tell you?

Do you find it as hopeful as I that the comparative figures for 1958 show that only 18% would have voted for an atheist but today 54% would? I think the usual unthinking religious prejudice is falling and that there is a vast increase in the acceptance of diversity.
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 08:06:49 AM »
Well, you can understand that since atheists are such bad, evil, destructive people.

I think we already have an atheist Muslim president. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 08:18:59 AM »
Abraham Lincoln was an atheist and a pretending "deist" while in office, though his wife was a Christian. Surprisingly enough there probably have been many a closeted-atheist in politics in the USA but if only they'd put on some pants and venture out.

Benjamin Franklin was an atheist most of his life barely a deist when he died. Never a Christian. Of course isn't anyone not a Christian an atheist?

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline Betelnut

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 09:05:07 AM »
Some Presidents were Unitarians which technically isn't a Christian religion (you can be a Christian Unitarian or an atheist Unitarian).  Two are from the early days of the US which means most of them probably were some stripe of Christian though.

Unitarian:

John Adams
    John Quincy Adams
    Millard Fillmore
    William Howard Taft
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 09:07:14 AM by Betelnut »

Offline caveat_imperator

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +6/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 10:07:21 AM »
Benjamin Franklin was an atheist most of his life barely a deist when he died. Never a Christian. Of course isn't anyone not a Christian an atheist?

-Nam

Pseudo-historians like david barton are trying so hard to alter the facts about Franklin and any other non-christian in US history, though. :(
You can't prove a negative of an existence postulate.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 10:12:44 AM »
Give them time and assess to textbook development (Texas).  Every school kid will know that Jesus helped draft the constitution.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 02:14:01 PM »
An openly atheist US President is still a ways off, no argument.

Holybuckets, what is your point in starting these threads about prejudice against atheists? That it exists is hardly news to most of the forum members; just creating these threads is starting to look like trolling.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline holybuckets

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +3/-34
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 03:06:21 PM »
Thanks Wright,
I am not trying to troll, however, as I have stated several times, I believe the atheist argument to be hypocritical. What is your point (ie. atheists) for posting Bible contradictions? Most well informed Christians are well aware of them. We also know how many Epistles that Paul is actually credited with, we know when the Bible was put together, yet atheists still post this, and a whole bunch of other stuff that is offensive to Christians. So, to answer your question, I am just playing the game, if you do it, then so can I. 

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 05:27:48 PM »
Thanks Wright,
I am not trying to troll, however, as I have stated several times, I believe the atheist argument to be hypocritical. What is your point (ie. atheists) for posting Bible contradictions? Most well informed Christians are well aware of them. We also know how many Epistles that Paul is actually credited with, we know when the Bible was put together, yet atheists still post this, and a whole bunch of other stuff that is offensive to Christians. So, to answer your question, I am just playing the game, if you do it, then so can I. 

Point taken. Though not all Christians are as well informed as you, and fail to comprehend what the Bible actually says about certain things. Not to mention how it has been shown to be flat-out wrong in areas where it makes testable claims.

Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Betelnut

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 06:29:45 PM »
Thanks Wright,

That's not the definition of "hypocritical."

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +235/-0
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 06:40:30 PM »
What is your point (ie. atheists) for posting Bible contradictions?

What is the point of Bible contradictions even existing?  If a god can't communicate accurately enough to make its own word non-contradictory, I think that everyone who believes in said god should be given a heads-up so that they don't unduly waste emotional energy on an incompetent entity.   ;)

Consider it a public service.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline holybuckets

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +3/-34
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 06:49:33 PM »
What is your point (ie. atheists) for posting Bible contradictions?

What is the point of Bible contradictions even existing?  If a god can't communicate accurately enough to make its own word non-contradictory, I think that everyone who believes in said god should be given a heads-up so that they don't unduly waste emotional energy on an incompetent entity.   ;)

Consider it a public service.
From reading your post, it appears to me that you are assuming that God literally sat down with a pen and paper and wrote every word of the Bible. What about Paul's letters and the Gospels. Atheists claim that these were written by men hundreds of years later. Are you contradicting yourself?

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +683/-3
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 08:20:02 PM »
You wouldn't want an atheist president. We don't have the lack of moral turpitude necessary to crawl in bed with bankers and big business and military contractors and billionaires that the believers in both parties apparently enjoy doing.

Not everyone is entitled to their opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +120/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 08:35:24 PM »
A Gallup poll says atheists are the least likely group Americans would vote to be president. Muslims stand a better chance!

http://www.gallup.com/poll/155285/Atheists-Muslims-Bias-Presidential-Candidates.aspx

They also felt the same way about a black in the White House.

Still do.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline holybuckets

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +3/-34
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2013, 08:37:32 PM »
You wouldn't want an atheist president. We don't have the lack of moral turpitude necessary to crawl in bed with bankers and big business and military contractors and billionaires that the believers in both parties apparently enjoy doing.
Seriously, maybe if atheists put together an argument that made sense, people may take you more seriously. I am not saying this to be funny. I posted a poll in which people did not trust atheists, and this one where people would not elect one for president. Time to make a legitimate argument I think.

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +68/-1
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2013, 08:44:10 PM »

Yes, religious bigotry runs rampant. We're all well aware of this, and that poll has been discussed here before. Why do you bring it up? Is it something you're proud of?

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +68/-1
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2013, 08:52:35 PM »
From reading your post, it appears to me that you are assuming that God literally sat down with a pen and paper and wrote every word of the Bible. What about Paul's letters and the Gospels. Atheists claim that these were written by men hundreds of years later. Are you contradicting yourself?

That it was not written by a supreme being is the point she was making. You might have caught on to that had you more interested in understanding what was being said than in finding whatever fault you can, even if it means misrepresenting what someone says.

As for why atheists point out biblical contradictions, it is to counter the many Christians who are biblical literalists. You might not be a biblical literalist, but once again, the world does not revolve around you.

Offline holybuckets

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +3/-34
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2013, 10:03:32 PM »

Yes, religious bigotry runs rampant. We're all well aware of this, and that poll has been discussed here before. Why do you bring it up? Is it something you're proud of?
How many times has Bible contradictions been brought up? Or, why doesn't God heal amputees? Funny how you people can slam Christians, but when they bring up a negative on you- it's bigotry.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +235/-0
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2013, 11:33:01 PM »
From reading your post, it appears to me that you are assuming that God literally sat down with a pen and paper and wrote every word of the Bible.

Then you, Holybuckets, have a failure of reading comprehension and fit right in with your purported god's failure to communicate.  If even one contradiction exists in the Bible then somebody got it wrong, and interestingly the Bible remains wrong because virtually no one has had the gonads to give it a proper proofreading, editing and culling.  (The Jefferson Bible was one noteworthy attempt in that direction, but that's just the New Testament.)

What about Paul's letters and the Gospels. Atheists claim that these were written by men hundreds of years later. Are you contradicting yourself?

Contradicting what?  I, Myself have never believed that the Bible was anything more than a human creation, and the numerous flaws in the text just seal the deal.  The Bible is almost certainly not even inspired by anything even remotely divine.  It's essentially just a pathetically primitive anthology of humans pretending to relay messages from a god, and making a mess of it.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline holybuckets

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +3/-34
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2013, 11:50:20 PM »
From reading your post, it appears to me that you are assuming that God literally sat down with a pen and paper and wrote every word of the Bible.

Then you, Holybuckets, have a failure of reading comprehension and fit right in with your purported god's failure to communicate.  If even one contradiction exists in the Bible then somebody got it wrong, and interestingly the Bible remains wrong because virtually no one has had the gonads to give it a proper proofreading, editing and culling.  (The Jefferson Bible was one noteworthy attempt in that direction, but that's just the New Testament.)

What about Paul's letters and the Gospels. Atheists claim that these were written by men hundreds of years later. Are you contradicting yourself?

Contradicting what?  I, Myself have never believed that the Bible was anything more than a human creation, and the numerous flaws in the text just seal the deal.  The Bible is almost certainly not even inspired by anything even remotely divine.  It's essentially just a pathetically primitive anthology of humans pretending to relay messages from a god, and making a mess of it.
Thanks Astreja,
In your first post you wrote:   "If a god can't communicate accurately enough to make its own word non-contradictory"
Now you say, "I, Myself have never believed that the Bible was anything more than a human creation"

So which one is it? 1) A book with God's "communication" or 2) human creation? You are saying two different things. Unless my "reading comprehension" is failing me.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2013, 01:13:06 AM »
Thanks Wright,
I am not trying to troll,

you're a self proclaimed liar buck

however, as I have stated several times, I believe the atheist argument to be hypocritical.
What is your point (ie. atheists) for posting Bible contradictions? Most well informed Christians are well aware of them. We also know how many Epistles that Paul is actually credited with, we know when the Bible was put together, yet atheists still post this, and a whole bunch of other stuff that is offensive to Christians. So, to answer your question, I am just playing the game, if you do it, then so can I.
[/quote]

Just because you want to wail and call us hypocritical because we loudly question the laughable inconsistencies of your fractured belief system, doesn't make us hypocritical in the least.

Just because you are desperate to find an excuse for trolling by mis representing our position, doesn't mean there is the slightest connection between your "playing the game" by posting sad little observances on the outcomes of your faith's warped and twisted hate mechanisms, and our posts on xianity's embarrassing riches.

That you choose not to see the glaring disconnect just serves your purpose.

You seem like quite a deceitful lightweight, carrying the unbearable resentment of having to defend the indefensible, with naught to use but bile and game playing trolling.

As per usual I can only wish you a heartfelt cold-shoulder to cry on.
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline holybuckets

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +3/-34
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2013, 06:56:53 AM »
Thanks Wright,
I am not trying to troll,

you're a self proclaimed liar buck

however, as I have stated several times, I believe the atheist argument to be hypocritical.
What is your point (ie. atheists) for posting Bible contradictions? Most well informed Christians are well aware of them. We also know how many Epistles that Paul is actually credited with, we know when the Bible was put together, yet atheists still post this, and a whole bunch of other stuff that is offensive to Christians. So, to answer your question, I am just playing the game, if you do it, then so can I.

Just because you want to wail and call us hypocritical because we loudly question the laughable inconsistencies of your fractured belief system, doesn't make us hypocritical in the least.

Just because you are desperate to find an excuse for trolling by mis representing our position, doesn't mean there is the slightest connection between your "playing the game" by posting sad little observances on the outcomes of your faith's warped and twisted hate mechanisms, and our posts on xianity's embarrassing riches.

That you choose not to see the glaring disconnect just serves your purpose.

You seem like quite a deceitful lightweight, carrying the unbearable resentment of having to defend the indefensible, with naught to use but bile and game playing trolling.

As per usual I can only wish you a heartfelt cold-shoulder to cry on.
[/quote]
Kin,
Let's be clear on this. Atheists offer no argument. It's very easy to create a myth theory. Aside from the one I posted, look at Sandy Hook elementary School shooting. Adam Lanza fatally shot his mom, then went to the school and fatally shot 20 kids and 6 adults before committing suicide as first responders came to the scene. This was an unusable and horrific event that no one in their right mind would condone. Yet, there are several websites claiming the shootings were a hoax. Your Jesus is a myth theory is a hoax. You have no evidence to back it up other than to fling mud against a wall and hope it sticks, and you call me  a troll. Very few people in the world agree with your theory, including most historical scholars.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2013, 07:33:30 AM »

Kin,
Let's be clear on this. Atheists offer no argument. It's very easy to create a myth theory. Aside from the one I posted, look at Sandy Hook elementary School shooting. Adam Lanza fatally shot his mom, then went to the school and fatally shot 20 kids and 6 adults before committing suicide as first responders came to the scene. This was an unusable and horrific event that no one in their right mind would condone. Yet, there are several websites claiming the shootings were a hoax. Your Jesus is a myth theory is a hoax. You have no evidence to back it up other than to fling mud against a wall and hope it sticks, and you call me  a troll. Very few people in the world agree with your theory, including most historical scholars.

Buck  you fail to acknowledge that your actions self-titled  as "playing the game " is nothing but trolling this site.
However justified you'd like to feel, it is still simply self-confessed trolling.

Secondly your arguement is hilarious

Why isn't the sandy hook shootings a hoax?  because of the fucking evidence.

Why isn't atheism and its associated religious genres skepticism (ie re: jesus is god, is jesus a myth) a hoax? ...because all we are asking is for the fucking evidence.

So the fact that you xians are making outlandish claims, and cannot give any credible non-subjective evidence to back them up      .....now that is a hoax.

So really buck, you stand squarely beside the sandy hook deniers happy to proselytise a "belief" for which, like them, you cannot offer the slightest shred of proof.

........................and, you are a troll

"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

Offline holybuckets

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +3/-34
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2013, 08:02:38 AM »
Kin,
Christianity has been going on for about 2000 years and no one has been able to prove it wrong. Christianity's claims have stood the test of time, and yes, there have been many atheists throughout the years who have attempted to deny Jesus existence, but in the end, Jesus still stands and those naysayers have become the trolls.
Have you ever heard of Diagoras of Melos? Have you ever heard of Jesus? I will give  you a hint, one changed the world, the other is just one of many who floated away in obscurity.

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2013, 10:05:28 AM »
Kin,
Christianity has been going on for about 2000 years and no one has been able to prove it wrong. Christianity's claims have stood the test of time, and yes, there have been many atheists throughout the years who have attempted to deny Jesus existence, but in the end, Jesus still stands and those naysayers have become the trolls.
Have you ever heard of Diagoras of Melos? Have you ever heard of Jesus? I will give  you a hint, one changed the world, the other is just one of many who floated away in obscurity.

What sort of nonsense is this? People who choose to be Christians claim everything is true about Jesus but, frankly, it doesn't work. I even think many Christians realise this too. Look at the promise made by Jesus, 'anything you ask in my name you will have it'. (Sorry can't remember the chapter and verse for this). Now is this factually true? Have you, Holybuckets, ever asked for something and received it? Maybe, but when replying tell us how many times you have received something you prayed for and how many times you prayed from something and nothing happened.

My bet is that you will claim to have had a prayer answered at such a low rate that the fact of and answer if just chance. If I am right, you will have shown that your belief is false. Yet you will tell me that god only grants requests if he thinks its is in your interests or something like that, so that the result of a prayer can be yes, no or later. This gets your god off the hook for not answering prayers but doesn't really as you will have had to deny part of what it is claimed he promised.

Anyway, think about it and watch the video below as well before answering.

watch video
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline holybuckets

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +3/-34
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2013, 10:19:06 AM »
Kin,

What sort of nonsense is this? People who choose to be Christians claim everything is true about Jesus but, frankly, it doesn't work. I even think many Christians realise this too. Look at the promise made by Jesus, 'anything you ask in my name you will have it'. (Sorry can't remember the chapter and verse for this). Now is this factually true? Have you, Holybuckets, ever asked for something and received it? Maybe, but when replying tell us how many times you have received something you prayed for and how many times you prayed from something and nothing happened.

My bet is that you will claim to have had a prayer answered at such a low rate that the fact of and answer if just chance. If I am right, you will have shown that your belief is false. Yet you will tell me that god only grants requests if he thinks its is in your interests or something like that, so that the result of a prayer can be yes, no or later. This gets your god off the hook for not answering prayers but doesn't really as you will have had to deny part of what it is claimed he promised.

Anyway, think about it and watch the video below as well before answering.

watch video
Good side-step Wheels. Please read my post again and point out anywhere that was not true. Also, I love the part about God answering prayer. Yes, I admit, I have prayed to become the King of England, the next Hugh Hefner, I've prayed for a million bucks to land on my bed. And guess what? See, that proves there is no God, doesn't it?

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2013, 10:51:44 AM »
Kin,
>snip Christianity's claims have stood the test of time, >snip<

So name xianitys claims, and give some evidence.
Should be easy.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 10:54:03 AM by kin hell »

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +68/-1
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2013, 11:03:40 AM »
How many times has Bible contradictions been brought up? Or, why doesn't God heal amputees? Funny how you people can slam Christians, but when they bring up a negative on you- it's bigotry.

Apples and oranges. The poll doesn't "bring up" anything about atheism. It just shows that many people would not vote for an atheist just on the mere fact that he/she is an atheist. The poll question posits that the person is of the same party and generally well qualified, so the bias cannot be attributed to qualifications or partisanship.

Criticizing your beliefs and challenging your claims however, is something entirely different.

Do you even know what bigotry is, Holybuckets?  Here's a clue: It is not people disagreeing with your beliefs.