Author Topic: 1 + 1 + 1 = 1  (Read 12614 times)

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +869/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
Re: 1 + 1 + 1 = 1
« Reply #290 on: June 27, 2013, 04:12:53 PM »
The more we hear from you, SW, the more you sound like a Muslim. You have known real suffering, and the way you make sense of it is to create a very severe, harsh god in charge of everything.

That, for you, makes more sense than life with no god at all, where human beings are completely alone in the uncaring universe. But you clearly realize that a kind, loving god would not let all the bad sh!t that you have been through happen. So god has to be this very powerful, distant, ruthless bastard dictator. It is a very Islamic perspective.

The Islamic version of the one true god is also pretty harsh. He judges and we submit. Everything he does, we have to just accept because "good" is whatever god wants.  No, he don't have to listen to any stupid human prayers or change anything bad that happens to us, although he could, because he can do anything. He just don't really give a good goddamn about humans because we are as ants to his greatness.

God alone decides (or actually, has already decided) who goes to paradise and who is destined for hell. The best we can do is try to figure out what he wants and to do it. Basically, life sucks and then you die. And chances are, it will then suck even more. Nice.

No wonder people who strongly believe this create regimes like in Saudi Arabia, where they publicly execute gays every Friday. No wonder the Taliban arose out of the wars in Afghanistan, and created a society where human rights don't matter. And no wonder desperately unhappy Palestinian youth blow themselves up in the hopes that they will get a free golden key to paradise..... :( :P
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +186/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #291 on: June 27, 2013, 04:22:08 PM »
^^^There's some eloquently stated ugly truths.
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #292 on: June 28, 2013, 11:55:59 AM »

"Divinely inspired" is not very strong.    That covers most Christian music.

I took 20 years before I decided the scriptures were correct accounts of history.

20 years of doing what? As many of us have been asking, please demonstrate/display how you know these texts are "correct accounts of history" (and also please define exactly what you mean by that). Are you saying that you accept textual claims to the miraculous? If so, why?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan