Author Topic: Gun Fails  (Read 30330 times)

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +100/-0
  • Living the Dream
Re: Gun Fails
« Reply #580 on: March 07, 2014, 12:19:33 PM »
I don't think you'd regret getting one outfitted with a grenade launcher.

hah!  Truer words may never have been spoken.  What possible device/appliance could you buy that these words would not apply to????

suppositories.

that just depends on the direction/trajectory
It's one of the reasons I'm an atheist today.  I decided to take my religion seriously, and that's when it started to fall apart for me.
~jdawg70

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +927/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #581 on: March 07, 2014, 03:50:13 PM »
I don't think you'd regret getting one outfitted with a grenade launcher.

hah!  Truer words may never have been spoken.  What possible device/appliance could you buy that these words would not apply to????

I agree. Everything would be improved by such an adaptation.

Yoga pants, funeral plots, segways, apple pies, snowflakes, flat screen tv's, Jehovah's Witnesses, dildoes, accounting textbooks, toddler beauty contestants, rosebushes, fairy godmothers and, of course, grenade launchers should all come equipped with grenade launchers.

Life would be complete. :o
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #582 on: March 07, 2014, 04:55:31 PM »
A grenade launcher equipped society is a polite society.  Also, very loud.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #583 on: March 07, 2014, 10:41:47 PM »
I need a grenade launcher on I-70.
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #584 on: March 11, 2014, 12:50:39 PM »
Gun fail 59
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/03/04/1279809/-It-s-fun-to-accidentally-discharge-your-handgun-at-the-Y-M-C-A-GunFAIL-LIX

A guy was demonstrating gun safety by holding guns to his head and pulling the trigger.
http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/02/24/man-shoots-himself-in-the-head-while-demonstrating-gun-safety/
Predictably, one was loaded and he is dead.  Up until that point he was considered to be a “responsible gun owner”.

Also, “The girlfriend said the victim had been drinking most of the day”

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-14
« Reply #585 on: March 12, 2014, 10:04:05 AM »
Gun fail 59
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/03/04/1279809/-It-s-fun-to-accidentally-discharge-your-handgun-at-the-Y-M-C-A-GunFAIL-LIX

A guy was demonstrating gun safety by holding guns to his head and pulling the trigger.
http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/02/24/man-shoots-himself-in-the-head-while-demonstrating-gun-safety/
Predictably, one was loaded and he is dead.  Up until that point he was considered to be a “responsible gun owner”.

Also, “The girlfriend said the victim had been drinking most of the day”

that is an excelent object lesson.  Anyone wittnessing it may well obey the first cardinal rule of gun handling. 

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-32
« Reply #586 on: March 12, 2014, 10:26:14 AM »
And if he had shot someone else accidentally, then the rest of the onlookers could similarly observe that rule.

At no negative cost.

Well, except for the dead person.

But people dying doesn't matter.
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Offline epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-14
« Reply #587 on: March 12, 2014, 10:31:02 AM »
And if he had shot someone else accidentally, then the rest of the onlookers could similarly observe that rule.

At no negative cost.

Well, except for the dead person.

But people dying doesn't matter.

Well in the grand scheme of things a single human dying really does not matter.  I consider killing onself by accident as less consequential than someone killing someone else by accident.

Very few individuals really impact humanity as a whole and the universe virtually not at all.  That said, if Arch Duke Ferdinand were not assasinated the world might very well look a heluvalot different.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 10:32:39 AM by epidemic »

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #588 on: March 12, 2014, 12:19:46 PM »
Very few individuals really impact humanity as a whole and the universe virtually not at all.  That said, if Arch Duke Ferdinand were not assasinated the world might very well look a heluvalot different.

Most likely not in a good way. Sure millions of people would still have been alive but territorial dispute amongst nations is hardly a cauldron to change the world; however, ideolgical disputes of imperialism, nationalism, militarism etc., did have a clashing effect but after the dust settled 20+ years later you have a war of resentment and hatred. In effect it became a religious war: the final annihilation of the Jews by a Christian state: Germany, however Germany wasn't the only country that had an extreme hatred for non-Christians; especially Jews. Antisemitism had been in Germany since before Martin Luther[1], and I bet the Catholic Church propelled it further; and look at antisemitism in the US during the period.  There's always the "hope" that if WWII didn't happen the world would be a better place, or if WWI didn't happen, the world would be a better place but just like small tragedies produce good outcomes sometime bigger ones have a better ripple effect: wakes up more people. I'm not advocating war by any means but sometimes war is necessary.

-Nam
 1. Who was an extreme antisemitic
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 12:22:39 PM by Nam »
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-32
« Reply #589 on: March 12, 2014, 12:23:12 PM »
Well in the grand scheme of things a single human dying really does not matter.
Which is why murder should be legal.

I consider killing onself by accident as less consequential than someone killing someone else by accident.
Either could have easily happened here, and in this thread both happen quite a bit.

We do not live on the scale of "humanity as a whole".
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +927/-6
« Reply #590 on: March 12, 2014, 04:17:06 PM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/chicago-thrift-store-worker-killed-gun-hidden-donated-sock-discharges-article-1.1714914

More guns around equals more events like this. The responsible gun owner forgets that their gun is in the sock and gives it away in a box of thrift shop donations.... and a lady dies. :(

This can be a new category of gun fail: loaded gun hidden in strange place found by accident. How many responsible gun owners have guns hidden in some unlikely place in their homes? What happens when the responsible gun owner dies and the relatives (maybe with kids) come over to pack up their belongings? 

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #591 on: March 13, 2014, 09:24:21 AM »
some awesome links from that site:

"Unnatural' Las Vegas mom gets up to 44 years in prison for hiring son to kill husband"

"Fla. man arrested for having sex with pit bull in yard as neighbors pleaded with him to stop" (of course Florida)

"Woman finds video of boyfriend having sex with her dog — on his cellphone "

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #592 on: March 13, 2014, 02:24:29 PM »
http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2014/03/georgia-guns-concealed-carry-stand-your-ground
Soon gun owners in the state of Georgia may be allowed to pack heat almost anywhere—including K-12 schools, bars, churches, government buildings, and airports.

Yay, Georgia.  Trying to out-stupid Florida and Texas.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +927/-6
« Reply #593 on: March 13, 2014, 03:21:12 PM »
some awesome links from that site:

"Unnatural' Las Vegas mom gets up to 44 years in prison for hiring son to kill husband"

"Fla. man arrested for having sex with pit bull in yard as neighbors pleaded with him to stop" (of course Florida)

"Woman finds video of boyfriend having sex with her dog — on his cellphone "
Not to derail from guns or anything, but some thoughts occurred to me:

Bestiality Unchained will be the next big reality show hit.  It is clear from these fine representatives (someone actually had sex with a dog -- and filmed himself doing it? :o :P) that we humans are out of control and can no longer be left to manage on our own. And will Jesus hurry up and come back soon? Please? What more evidence do you want that the experiment is off the rails, god?

How much are you willing to bet that all the people mentioned here caught doing the very nasty with the family pets would consider themselves to be religious....

Not that atheists never do such creepy things, but if we do, we know it is our own damn fault and there is no magical being to forgive us! No tearful confession of sin and then going right back to church a la drug-using male hooker frequenting televangelists and child-molesting clergy.

Jail time, substantial donations to community service, public march of shame, universal condemnation and a big fat slap upside the brain stem is needed in all these cases.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #594 on: March 13, 2014, 10:53:46 PM »
http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2014/03/georgia-guns-concealed-carry-stand-your-ground
Soon gun owners in the state of Georgia may be allowed to pack heat almost anywhere—including K-12 schools, bars, churches, government buildings, and airports.

Yay, Georgia.  Trying to out-stupid Florida and Texas.

And the thought that I may live there in the coming year ... I feel like my environment is going full retrograde.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #596 on: March 17, 2014, 09:06:09 AM »
Good piece on guns and the mentally ill.
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/guns-media-and-mental-illness-after-newtown/

Also touches on the recurring theme of police injustice.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #597 on: March 22, 2014, 07:37:15 AM »
CNN: 3 barrel shotgun and other wonders

Because you know we need more things to foil more good guys with guns.

Besides, I like to kill 20 birds with 2500 pellets at one time. Also helps with disabling entire families during home invasions.

CNN: Beware of the recently deconverted Amish

CNN: A multiple-impact bullet for people who are poor shots -- notice the hostage demonstration.

^ Yep, only good guys are going to have these bullets, right?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 07:44:29 AM by Chronos »

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +927/-6
« Reply #598 on: March 23, 2014, 02:29:33 PM »
Define "good guys".  :P

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #599 on: March 24, 2014, 09:52:53 AM »

going by what gun "enthusiasts" say, pretty much any white guy with a gun.  Except the ones who aren't.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +927/-6
« Reply #600 on: March 24, 2014, 03:54:06 PM »

going by what gun "enthusiasts" say, pretty much any white guy with a gun.  Except the ones who aren't.

It seems that way-- even if the white guy has any of the following: an arrest record, protection orders, mental problems, a history of violence, drug addiction, stalking behavior, etc. He's still a good guy and should have as many guns as he needs to defend himself from crime, the government, the United Nations, Sasquatch, ex-wives, ex-girlfriends, drinking buddies, hunting buddies, the Sikh family down the street because turbans, random black people, Mexicans, crows, the guy who sold you the gun at the gun show, and aliens from outer space.[1]

A black or brown person who has ever been pulled over and issued a citation by the police for speeding is clearly a dangerous criminal who should not even vote, let alone own a firearm. In fact, they should be deported immediately, even if they are US citizens.  &)
 1. Hasn't that Zimmerman guy been in trouble for violence involving a weapon at least twice since the Trayvon Martin shooting?

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #601 on: March 24, 2014, 04:40:04 PM »
Yes. That's exactly how it is. Just straight talk from a rational mind.
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #602 on: March 25, 2014, 07:30:44 AM »

Good guys are the ones who mysteriously appear out of nowhere to draw their concealed weapons and fire their magic bullets with just one shot to stop criminals in their tracks.

Just like how Santa Claus delivers presents via a chimney.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +927/-6
« Reply #603 on: March 25, 2014, 01:27:42 PM »

If you were referring to my post above, that was what is known as sarcastic hyperbole. It was not an example of "straight talk from a rational mind." It was meant to be funny in a sardonic, bitter fashion.  I have many, many posts on this site where I calmly explain a point with researched facts and well-thought out examples.

What I wrote above was not one of those. It was not meant to be taken as factual, and anyone who has read my serious stuff would know that. Sometimes, we liberal commies get to rant about the stupidity we see around us, without always having to make concrete policy proposals-- just like Rush Limbaugh and Sarah Palin get to do.[1]

I guess you never heard of Ambrose Bierce, Mark Twain and Jonathan Swift. I suppose you think The Daily Show and The Onion are real news outlets. I suppose I should have included one of these:
&) ;) :angel:
 1. Although conservative talkers propose crazy stuff as serious policy all the time, and when called out on it, say it was meant as a joke.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #604 on: March 25, 2014, 03:29:33 PM »
Yeah, nogodsforme serious stuff are book size comments.

Yap, yap, yap--she just keeps going and going.

;)

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #605 on: March 25, 2014, 05:15:12 PM »

If you were referring to my post above, that was what is known as sarcastic hyperbole. It was not an example of "straight talk from a rational mind." It was meant to be funny in a sardonic, bitter fashion.  I have many, many posts on this site where I calmly explain a point with researched facts and well-thought out examples.

What I wrote above was not one of those. It was not meant to be taken as factual, and anyone who has read my serious stuff would know that. Sometimes, we liberal commies get to rant about the stupidity we see around us, without always having to make concrete policy proposals-- just like Rush Limbaugh and Sarah Palin get to do.[1]

I guess you never heard of Ambrose Bierce, Mark Twain and Jonathan Swift. I suppose you think The Daily Show and The Onion are real news outlets. I suppose I should have included one of these:
&) ;) :angel:
 1. Although conservative talkers propose crazy stuff as serious policy all the time, and when called out on it, say it was meant as a joke.

Right, I understand you were being glib. I wouldn't call it humor and I certainly wouldn't compare it to Twain, Swift or Bierce. Now, if you were trying to play on the same field as Limbaugh or Palin then you hit a home run. As far as humor goes Chronos has you beat hands down. 
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +927/-6
« Reply #606 on: March 25, 2014, 08:25:37 PM »
Yeah, you are a big barrel of laughs yourself, Mr. B. When I want some insightful humor, I first turn to you. &)

BTW, I was not trying to say that my writing or humor were on the same level as Mark Twain. et al. I certainly would not put myself on the elevated intellectual plane of Sarah Palin, whose command of written and spoken English is..... breathtaking.   :angel:

I was only stating that my previous post was meant as a sarcastic commentary, not to be taken as a serious, thoughtful reflection on gun policy. I never intended to imply that I was some famous satirist.

You insist on mis-reading my comments for some reason. Whatever. No accounting for taste--and if you find my comments particularly annoying, well, that's why there is an ignore button. [shrug]

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #607 on: March 26, 2014, 09:08:56 PM »
Yeah, you are a big barrel of laughs yourself, Mr. B. When I want some insightful humor, I first turn to you. &)

BTW, I was not trying to say that my writing or humor were on the same level as Mark Twain. et al. I certainly would not put myself on the elevated intellectual plane of Sarah Palin, whose command of written and spoken English is..... breathtaking.   :angel:

I was only stating that my previous post was meant as a sarcastic commentary, not to be taken as a serious, thoughtful reflection on gun policy. I never intended to imply that I was some famous satirist.

You insist on mis-reading my comments for some reason. Whatever. No accounting for taste--and if you find my comments particularly annoying, well, that's why there is an ignore button. [shrug]

Oh don't get me wrong...your posts are typically very well constructed and informative. I do not find your comments particularly annoying. Also, it was abundantly clear that you were not making any suggestions about gun policy. You simply took advantage of an opportunity to paint all gun owners in the same light[1].  It's an old worn out game liberals still like to play and quite frankly I'm disappointed that you didn't throw in some "bible clinging" and "over compensating for small penises" jokes into the mix. I mean, if you are going to go out using sarcastic hyperbole...just go ahead and go all out.

1. e.g. gun owners are just a bunch of scared paranoid  ignorant racists

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +796/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #608 on: March 26, 2014, 09:43:08 PM »
It's an old worn out game liberals still like to play and quite frankly I'm disappointed that you didn't throw in some "bible clinging" and "over compensating for small penises" jokes into the mix.

He says as he tosses all liberals into one box and squishes it.

Everyone plays that game. Some better than others. Something you agree with said with humor seems funny. Something you disagree with said with humor will not tickle your funny bone.

We're all normal. Yea, some of us are better at normal than others, but we try not to brag. At least i used to try…

Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!