Author Topic: Gun Fails  (Read 25854 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
Re: Gun Fails
« Reply #551 on: January 28, 2014, 09:21:47 AM »
gun fail 54
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/01/26/1270763/-Are-you-a-school-shooter-if-you-bring-a-gun-for-safety-but-accidentally-shoot-yourself-GunFAIL-LIV

Five cops and/or security guards were involved in GunFAIL incidents in the past week, ranging from the guy who was hired as a bouncer to keep guns out of a neighborhood party, but ended up somehow losing his gun during that party, to the BART officer accidentally shot and killed by another in the line of duty.

Gun owners continued, as always, to have very public accidents as well, with five of them accidentally discharging their weapons at a skating rink, a motel, a gun shop (surprise!), a hospital, and an elementary school. Yes, that last one was our first armed parent to have an accidental discharge on the grounds of the elementary school from which he was picking up his kids. And yes, that parent is a former police officer and a firearms trainer who teaches concealed carry permit classes.

a good link from that is the TSA blog:
http://blog.tsa.gov/2014/01/tsa-blog-year-in-review-2013.html
1813 guns found in carry on bags, up 16% from 2012.  81% were loaded.   The comments express almost unanimous hate of TSA.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #552 on: January 29, 2014, 06:36:01 AM »
#20, Mother shoots son

"Everyone present said it was accidental and the family is cooperating fully." The gun had previously malfunctioned by firing without anyone pulling the trigger, the family told police.

So, if it fires without pulling the trigger, then by all means keep it around for repeat performances in a game of lets-see-who-dies-this-week.
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #553 on: January 29, 2014, 08:24:40 AM »
^ natural selection at work.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #554 on: January 29, 2014, 10:05:35 AM »
not exactly a gun fail in the sense of the ones listed here.  But it is a failure of our system, regardless.
http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/UPDATE-Two-Men-Shot-to-Death-by-Homeowner-in-Barboursville-241973841.html
According to the criminal complaint, Black told detectives in his statement that he saw two men “shaking the door on his tool shed in his backyard.” He said he then “reached and got his .243 and loaded the gun and pointed the gun out of his window and the shot the first male and then pulled the bolt action back and fired another shot and hit the other male.”

Black also told deputies in his statement that the “did not warn them nor did he call 911 when saw them.”

He also advised that “no first aid was given after the incident.”

Sheriff McComas said in a release on Sunday that Garrick Hopkins had recently purchased the lot adjacent to #12 Lane Drive.

McComas says he took his brother to the property Saturday to show him where he and his family were planning to build their new home in the coming weeks.

The Sheriff says the outbuilding in question was on the Hopkins property and contained no belonging of Mr. Black’s.

Inside Black's home, McComas says detectives seized a large number of weapons and ammunition.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #555 on: January 29, 2014, 02:52:42 PM »
Florida is exporting its policy of shoot-first-and-don't-ask-any-questions-because-you-don't-give-a-damn.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +888/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #556 on: January 29, 2014, 05:45:54 PM »
Yes. Now you can "stand anybody's and anything's ground". He was looking at me my shed his shed funny. So I shot him.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #557 on: February 04, 2014, 10:01:44 AM »
NY Times did their own version of Gun Fail. The results:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/04/opinion/nocera-the-gun-report-1-year-later.html?ref=opinion&_r=0
We do a Google News search each weekday morning for the previous day’s shootings and then list them. Most days, we have been finding between 20 and 30 shootings; on Mondays, when we also add the weekend’s violence, the number is usually well over 100.
First, the biggest surprise, especially early on, was how frequently either a child accidentally shot another child — using a loaded gun that happened to be lying around — or an adult accidentally shot a child while handling a loaded gun.
Second, the N.R.A. shibboleth that having a gun in one’s house makes you safer is demonstrably untrue.
More to the point, there are an increasing number of gun deaths that are the result of an argument — often fueled by alcohol — among friends, neighbors and family members.
(more)

link to NYT gun report: http://nocera.blogs.nytimes.com/category/gun-report/
some great stuff there.

edit:
In florida (of course), anyone can set up a shooting range on their property, pretty much without any kind of regulation.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/01/26/3895027/big-pine-key-homeowner-has-gun.html
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 10:07:57 AM by screwtape »
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #559 on: February 19, 2014, 04:14:27 PM »
So you may have heard that Michael Dunn, the guy shot shot a car full of black teenagers for playing loud "thug" music, was convicted of three counts of attempted murder, but not first degree murder.  That caused a mistrial.  He may be tried again for murder, but maybe not.
http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/bateman-on-michael-dunn-verdict-021714

Here we have a parallel case - a guy shoots up a car full of teens because they egged and TP'd his car, and one of them was killed.  I bet he is convicted of murder and may even get the death penalty.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/17/adrian-broadway-egging-gunned-down_n_4803038.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

The difference?  The perpetrator in this case is black.  Notice too, he is being charged with terrorism.  Maybe they won't even need to bother with a trial for him?
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #560 on: February 19, 2014, 04:23:21 PM »
gun fail 56
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/02/12/1274438/-Dear-My-Own-Parenting-Advice-Column-I-never-thought-this-would-happen-to-me-GunFAIL-LVI
a 17-month-old girl shot by her 3-year-old brother, who found dad's gun kept securely atop his bedroom dresser. Those who prefer to call such incidents ParentFAIL will perhaps be surprised to learn that dad's the local parenting advice columnist.

gun fail 57
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/02/19/1276171/-First-gun-show-accident-of-2014-continues-avg-1-per-month-streak-into-3rd-year-GunFAIL-LVII

the first one:
Police Sgt. John P. Hart has been suspended 10 days without pay for leaving his gun, which was recovered, in a restroom at the Holyoke Mall at Ingleside Nov. 24, Chief James M. Neiswanger said Wednesday. This was Hart's second weapon misplacement in two years; he was suspended for losing a sniper rifle in 2011 that was recovered as well

yay cops.  feel safer?
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +92/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #561 on: February 20, 2014, 06:40:54 AM »
Police Sgt. John P. Hart has been suspended 10 days without pay for leaving his gun, which was recovered, in a restroom at the Holyoke Mall at Ingleside Nov. 24, Chief James M. Neiswanger said Wednesday. This was Hart's second weapon misplacement in two years; he was suspended for losing a sniper rifle in 2011 that was recovered as well

yay cops.  feel safer?

WTF? He lost a frikkin sniper rifle and still gets to carry a gun. When he gets back on duty he should be made to carry a banana in his holster for at least 2 years.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #562 on: February 20, 2014, 07:18:56 AM »
gun fail 56
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/02/12/1274438/-Dear-My-Own-Parenting-Advice-Column-I-never-thought-this-would-happen-to-me-GunFAIL-LVI
a 17-month-old girl shot by her 3-year-old brother, who found dad's gun kept securely atop his bedroom dresser. Those who prefer to call such incidents ParentFAIL will perhaps be surprised to learn that dad's the local parenting advice columnist.

And he's a car salesman and a youth pastor, too. Oh, don't those go hand-in-hand?   </snark>

Carper said he left his 9 mm handgun in a secret compartment on top of a dresser as his Patterson Springs home was being remodeled ...

Carper, who regularly submits a parenting column to Gazette sister paper The Shelby Star and is a church youth leader.

I call bullshit. When you leave a gun that is in an unlocked area/container/thingy while kids are around (and actually when anyone is around), you immediately lose your credentials to give parenting advice. But, he does live in North Carolina, and I am sure he is a Good ChristianTM, so I am also sure that he will give testimony, a weepy performance of humility in church and will continue to provide parenting advice columns to locals because too many people will be stupid enough to read it.

Also, he's locked his Twitter account.   I wonder why ...

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #563 on: February 20, 2014, 07:21:53 AM »
WTF? He lost a frikkin sniper rifle and still gets to carry a gun. When he gets back on duty he should be made to carry a banana in his holster for at least 2 years.

I guess you could call it on-the-job training. Only 2 firearms lost in 2 years. He's getting better.

My company freaks out if you lose a company-issued cell phone.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #564 on: February 20, 2014, 09:12:13 AM »

This is one of my biggest gripes.  That obvious idiots and imbiciles are allowed to continue to carry engines of death at their hips even after conclusively and irrevokably proving they are unfit to weild safety scissors, because FREEDOM! 

That cop should be fired and his named entered into a national database that prevents him from getting a job as a cop or security guard anywhere in the US.  Said database should also be used for gun background checks, as anyone in it should be inellegible to own a projectile weapon more advanced than a javelin.   

Great leapin jesus, what the fck is wrong with my country?

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #565 on: February 20, 2014, 03:55:40 PM »
sure to be a gun fail
In the moments after lawmakers and visitors cleared a committee room Feb. 6 following a debate on concealed handgun permits, Rep. Jonathan Singer found a black canvas bag under the table where lawmakers sit.

Inside, Singer discovered a loaded handgun that belonged to Rep. Jared Wright, R-Fruita, who sits next to him on the House Local Government committee.
http://blogs.denverpost.com/thespot/topic/jonathan-singer/

Wright is a former cop, so for some reason that means he gets to take a gun anywhere he wants.

edit: forgot link
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 03:58:15 PM by screwtape »
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +888/-6
« Reply #566 on: February 20, 2014, 05:17:58 PM »
Can't we get people who lose their weapons in public places some nice, calm janitorial work and replace them with other folks who can better keep up with a loaded gun? Is that too much to ask for basic public safety and common sense? Isn't there still a recession on? Aren't there qualified people looking for jobs? Is this too many rhetorical questions?  :police:

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #567 on: February 21, 2014, 09:01:35 AM »
Excellent piece advocating for banning the second amendment. 
http://theweek.com/article/index/256692/ban-the-second-amendment
Imagine the Second Amendment didn't exist, and try arguing for a constitutional right to gun ownership. You will fail.

It links several articles at the American Conservative for support.  read those too.  They are good.  I believe I posted one of them already.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #568 on: February 21, 2014, 10:25:37 AM »
A rather bombastic op-ed on guns
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/02/19/more-guns-means-more-not-fewer-calls-to-the-police/

Of course, the major flaw in this fantasy is that gun nuts are actually more, not less, likely to have to deal with the police. If your attitude is shoot first, it’s not like the cops won’t be called when you fire that gun. Ask Michael Dunn or George Zimmerman. The major difference is that if you act like the “protected” class that French has so much disdain for, odds are much lower that you’re going to shoot an innocent person in a bout of paranoid racist idiocy. So there’s that. But the notion that we can somehow get past the need for policing if everyone just arms themselves is painfully stupid.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #570 on: February 26, 2014, 11:04:51 AM »
LtCo Bateman on guns, again
http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/bateman-nra-gun-accidents-022514

We lose more than 1,000 Americans per year just to accidents. (Although the police, perhaps for legal reasons, counted this as a suicide.) Not to mix apples and oranges, but back in 2006, the grand total of gun deaths in the nation of 126 million known as Japan was two. Yeah, two. The next year when it "skyrocketed" to 22, it was a national political scandal.

Look, I know we are not culturally anything like the Japanese. But we have 30,000-plus dead per year and they have two? Are we really that inferior? I mean, just in our accidental rate, we so far outstrip even the deliberate rates of any developed nation, making us the laughingstock.

It goes on to criticize Ted Nugent for being a liar and a coward, and the NRA for using him as their poster boy.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #571 on: February 26, 2014, 12:55:40 PM »
indiana man accidentally kills himself while trying to sell a gun
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/02/23/indiana-man-accidentally-shoots-himself-dead-during-gun-sale/
A Fort Wayne, Indiana man is dead after the gun he was selling to a relative accidentally discharged into his chest.

Fort Wayne Police said that the man, whose name has not been released, was selling the gun to a relative in his Fort Wayne home when it went off. At least a dozen police cars arrived on the scene approximately 8 p.m. and began to administer first aid.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +888/-6
« Reply #572 on: February 26, 2014, 04:14:54 PM »
[gun nut logic]

See, that guy was not killed because he was handling a loaded gun; guns are perfectly safe-- he would have been more likely to die while selling a friend a bottle of rat poison, a baseball bat, a knife or a moving car....

The real problem is the liberals who want to put fluoride in the water, make our kids worship dirt, and take away that guy's right to defend himself from his friend while selling his gun to his friend.

I mean, the "friend" might have been a cleverly disguised illegal brown person sent by the Muslim Obama administration to confiscate the responsible Christian guy's constitutionally protected gun. (Thanks, Obama.)

The illegal terrorist operative might have whipped out his gun first and shot the guy, and assaulted his wife, and then where would we be? In a tyrannical atheistic gun-free zone like North Korea, run by the New Black Panther Party, that's where. That's why every citizen should be able to open carry missile launchers in national parks, grade schools and shopping malls. &)

Guns are never the problem; lack of sufficient firepower is the problem.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #573 on: March 03, 2014, 11:08:47 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/28/opinion/when-may-i-shoot-a-student.html?hp&rref=opinion&_r=0

TO the chief counsel of the Idaho State Legislature:
In light of the bill permitting guns on our state’s college and university campuses, which is likely to be approved by the state House of Representatives in the coming days, I have a matter of practical concern that I hope you can help with: When may I shoot a student?

I am a biology professor, not a lawyer, and I had never considered bringing a gun to work until now. But since many of my students are likely to be armed, I thought it would be a good idea to even the playing field.

...(continues)
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #574 on: March 03, 2014, 11:17:52 AM »
gun fail 58.  yay!

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/02/27/1277815/-As-SC-considers-allowing-guns-in-bars-15-people-are-accidentally-hit-in-bars-GunFAIL-LVIII

Twenty people were found to have accidentally shot themselves;
seven people made the news cleaning loaded guns;
six law enforcement officers were involved in gun whoopsies;
five selfless patriots made their fellow citizens safer by accidentally discharging their weapons while shopping, dining or running other routine errands (and four of them were licensed concealed carriers, supposedly "specially trained" to avoid these things);
and five more decided to share their freedom missiles with neighbors.
Four others had gun accidents while fiddling with and/or showing off their guns for no particular reason,
four practicing at the range accidentally shot themselves or others (in one case, someone half a mile away),
two accidentally shot humans while hunting, and
two more accidentally shot themselves while producing weapons for what they said was defensive use.

love this one:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-man-shoots-himself-in-foot-fending-off-robbery-20140217,0,2784011.story
A 16-year-old boy accidentally shot himself in the foot while trying to defend himself during a robbery in the East Garfield Park neighborhood, authorities said.

the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun... provided he doesn't accidentally shoot himself.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 11:30:02 AM by screwtape »
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +92/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #575 on: March 03, 2014, 11:28:08 AM »
A New Orleans police lieutenant's gun accidentally fired as he pistol-whipped a combative man in the French Quarter over the weekend, according to records obtained Wednesday. No one was struck by the bullet. Lt. Kevin Imbraguglio pulled his department-issued Glock from his holster only after his Taser failed to subdue the man and the officer "feared for his safety," police spokeswoman Remi Braden said Wednesday. The officer was trying to stop the man, who appeared intoxicated, after a woman said he had punched her store window.

Accidental discharge whilst pistol whipping a tazered man because the cop "feared for his safety"

Oh the irony.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +888/-6
« Reply #576 on: March 04, 2014, 04:15:20 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/28/opinion/when-may-i-shoot-a-student.html?hp&rref=opinion&_r=0

TO the chief counsel of the Idaho State Legislature:
In light of the bill permitting guns on our state’s college and university campuses, which is likely to be approved by the state House of Representatives in the coming days, I have a matter of practical concern that I hope you can help with: When may I shoot a student?

I am a biology professor, not a lawyer, and I had never considered bringing a gun to work until now. But since many of my students are likely to be armed, I thought it would be a good idea to even the playing field.

...(continues)

This same article was posted on the shared board in my building today.

And why not? What every modern college campus needs is more guns! As long as everyone is openly carrying, and there are generous allowances made for the poor eyesight, shakier aim and slower reflexes of professors.

When we make a mistake on a student's record we are allowed to initiate a grade change procedure. We should get the same leeway for shooting Mr. Lee by mistake when we were aiming for Ms. Li.  An online form explaining the discrepancy should cover it-- and such mishaps would encourage students to distinguish themselves better in class.

Group cohesion in the classroom would increase as students learn to lay down cover fire for each other when discussions of controversial issues get out of hand. I am sure that our generous state legislature will allocate sufficient funds to handle any wrongful death lawsuits. 

I plan to propose this at the next union meeting.  Adjunct instructors will be allowed semiautomatic handguns only. People on the tenure track will be offered their choice of high-powered rifles. Full professors such as myself will be allowed shoulder mounted rocket launchers. Students would only be allowed single shot muskets.

Over time, as they gain experience, we might gradually raise the caliber of our students....[1]
 1. That one was too easy-- I am surprised the original author did not go there! :angel:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 04:37:24 PM by nogodsforme »

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #577 on: March 05, 2014, 09:42:43 AM »
I don't think you want high powered rifles.  They are more appropos for hitting targets at longer distance.  I think you want something for close range.  I'd recommend a tactical, semi-automatic shotgun. This was the one I was considering until Mrs Screwtape put the kaibosh on it:
http://www.mossberg.com/product/shotguns-autoloading-mossberg-930-special-purpose-tactical-5-shot/85336

This one is a 5 shot.  They make an 8 shot version of it.  In NJ, a semi-automatic with more that 5 shots is considered an assault weapon and is illegal, so that one was out for me.  But since you will potentially be facing multiple students, I recommend you go with the 8 shot. There is one with a pistol grip, which you may find more comfortable.  It has a short, 18.5" barrel, making it good for maneuvering inside buildings.  And a 12 guage at close range will bisect all but your stoutest students. 

I would go with a glaser round[1] for home defense - you don't want to shoot through a wall and kill a family member - but for you, I think standard buckshot would be called for.  Students are quite wily and you will almost certainly need to plug one on the other side of a wall from time to time.

Another option would be a fully automatic weapon.  That way you can just spray an entire area.  Again, you would want something compact, with a short barrel.  I'd go with a smaller calibre for better accuracy.  A SAR-21[2] would be a good candidate, but I prefer to buy American, so I'd use the Colt M4[3] It is a close quarters version of the M16.  Very reliable and uses stantard NATO rounds.  I don't think you'd regret getting one outfitted with a grenade launcher. 

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glaser_Safety_Slug
 2. http://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/detail.asp?smallarms_id=618
 3. http://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/detail.asp?smallarms_id=3
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +96/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #578 on: March 06, 2014, 12:29:11 PM »
I don't think you'd regret getting one outfitted with a grenade launcher.

hah!  Truer words may never have been spoken.  What possible device/appliance could you buy that these words would not apply to????
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +92/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #579 on: March 07, 2014, 08:25:57 AM »
I don't think you'd regret getting one outfitted with a grenade launcher.

hah!  Truer words may never have been spoken.  What possible device/appliance could you buy that these words would not apply to????

suppositories.