Author Topic: Gun Fails  (Read 26277 times)

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
Re: Gun Fails
« Reply #348 on: October 11, 2013, 07:37:09 PM »
If you live in South Carolina and you have a firearm, you can shoot at random people who travel up and down your street. They don't have to provide any direct threat to you, but as long as you feel threatened, it's acceptable.

South Carolina Man Gets Off Thanks To ‘Stand Your Ground’ After Shooting And Killing Innocent Bystander

On Wednesday, a South Carolina judge granted immunity from prosecution to a man who shot and killed an innocent bystander during a botched confrontation with a group of teenagers. The judge relied on the state’s ‘Stand Your Ground’ law.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #349 on: October 11, 2013, 07:40:52 PM »
"Are you a serial killer? You are! well, as long as the people you murdered for your own demented pleasure frightened you at some point, well: the "STAND YOUR GROUND LAW" will set you free! Come one, come all to the excitement of murder!

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +893/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #350 on: October 11, 2013, 07:51:54 PM »
One time in San Francisco, I saw a man leaning out of an apartment window, screaming incoherently and aiming what appeared to be a real gun at passers-by. He was certainly acting as if he was feeling threatened. If he had fired it, I might have been killed. Little did I know that his actions would someday be completely legal. What a country. :-\
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #351 on: October 11, 2013, 10:29:24 PM »
One time in San Francisco, I saw a man leaning out of an apartment window, screaming incoherently and aiming what appeared to be a real gun at passers-by. He was certainly acting as if he was feeling threatened. If he had fired it, I might have been killed. Little did I know that his actions would someday be completely legal. What a country. :-\

Next thing you know women (or young girls) who get raped will have to marry their rapists.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #352 on: October 12, 2013, 06:34:35 PM »
Or in Kentucky ... where, oddly, someone was arrested for pulling a gun and using it. I guess you can't fire a gun from inside your car, but you can fire at a car.

Doctor Shooter

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #353 on: October 14, 2013, 11:14:25 AM »
I find it intersting he was charged with wanton endangerment and not, say, attempted murder.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #354 on: October 16, 2013, 08:18:36 AM »
Gunfail 39  http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/10/14/1244525/-GunFAIL-XXXIX

5 cops involved in gun stupidity.

"An off-duty correction officer accidentally shot himself and a colleague..." http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Correction-Officer-Shoots-Himself-Colleague-Brooklyn-Gas-Station-227439281.html

Oh. My. Glob.
The attorney for the police chief suspended for firing guns stopped his questions when the metal clattered against the concrete.

The termination hearing for former Chief Mark Kessler that had been going on for more than 90 minutes stopped. The crowd in the cramped borough building turned its attention to Dave Zimmerman, one of Kessler's supporters, who leaned over to pick his pistol up off the floor.

"It fell out of its holster," Zimmerman told the room, standing 2 feet behind Kessler and his lawyer, Joseph Nahas.
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2013/10/gilberton_kessler_gun_control.html
The photos are great.  Biker hillbillies with guns and star spangled bandanas.  BTW, this cop made himself famous a few months ago with his bombastic youtube videos where he was shooting guns and kind of implying he wanted to shoot the president.

"Horn Lake police say the gun of a Tunica County sheriff's deputy, who received an apparently self-inflicted wound, has disappeared from the scene."
http://www.newstimes.com/news/crime/article/Gun-missing-after-accidentally-shooting-4887129.php

"Alldredge would not comment on who is believed to have shot the deputy, or whether he is believed to have shot himself. About 10 deputies were target shooting at the range for their quarterly firearms qualifications."
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/56970497-78/alldredge-shot-deputy-believed.html.csp

"An off-duty La Habra police officer was shot with his own weapon early Saturday during a fight after a traffic accident on the 5 Freeway in Castaic"
http://www.policeone.com/off-duty/articles/6500230-Off-duty-Calif-cop-shot-with-own-gun/
As the comments suggest, something is fishy here.

"The thief took a Bushmaster AR-15 rifle, two ammunition magazines for it, a laptop and a camera and lenses, all belonging to the Oxford Police Department,"
http://www.wlwt.com/news/local-news/butler-county/police-still-looking-for-ar15-rifle-stolen-from-officers-car/-/13601510/22373126/-/iy6pwu/-/index.html
stolen from the unmarked police car.

The man who police believe is responsible for a Monday night shooting also injured himself during the incident and checked himself into the hospital for treatment less than three hours later.
Jones had wounds to his scrotum and foot...
http://www.courierpress.com/news/2013/oct/08/no-headline---shooting/
owie.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +893/-6
« Reply #355 on: October 17, 2013, 04:32:55 PM »
Today in class we were discussing differences between the US and Canada. The fact that Canadians don't have "gun rights" came up.[1] I pointed out that they still have lots of property crime, like car theft, but don't shoot each other very often since there are not so many guns around.

A young guy opined, in true blue 'Murica fashion, that Canada would have less property crime if they all carried guns there. Uh. Yeah. That is why the US is crime-free--we all got GUNS! Tea Party logic in a nutshell?
 1. Without personal arsenals of firearms, how can they hope to keep their government from becoming a tyranny, forcing health care and college educations down their throats?

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #356 on: October 19, 2013, 05:22:56 PM »
Pre-gun fail ... kinda ..

Gaithersburg teen arrested on drug, firearm charges

The Friday before, Montgomery County Police SWAT team members, Fire Arms Investigation Unit members, and Special Investigations detectives descended on the Gettier's home on Triple Crown Road. Detectives had been casing the home since July. Inside, they found Darel Gettier armed with two handguns, a stash of 43 other firearms, and seven people, five of them minors, smoking marijuana. One of them, according to charging documents, was Gettier's 16-year old son, Ethan.

... *sigh* ... kids these days .... tsk tsk.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +893/-6
« Reply #357 on: October 19, 2013, 06:11:26 PM »
Pre-gun fail ... kinda ..

Gaithersburg teen arrested on drug, firearm charges

The Friday before, Montgomery County Police SWAT team members, Fire Arms Investigation Unit members, and Special Investigations detectives descended on the Gettier's home on Triple Crown Road. Detectives had been casing the home since July. Inside, they found Darel Gettier armed with two handguns, a stash of 43 other firearms, and seven people, five of them minors, smoking marijuana. One of them, according to charging documents, was Gettier's 16-year old son, Ethan.

... *sigh* ... kids these days .... tsk tsk.

If only they had been named Yusuf and Achmed instead of Darel and Ethan....

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #358 on: October 22, 2013, 12:28:00 PM »
gunfail 40
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/10/19/1246961/-GunFAIL-XL

“During the period from September 27th through October 17th, encompassing the shutdown and the few days prior to it, the TSA found a whopping 99 guns on passengers attempting to board flights at airports around the country”

perhaps the best one:
Officers shot a man at his North Austin home on Friday after he and his wife struggled over an assault rifle and a stray bullet struck a neighbor in the leg,
http://www.statesman.com/news/news/local/officials-non-fatal-police-shooting-under-investig/nbRpN/

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #359 on: October 23, 2013, 05:51:16 AM »
If you live in Texas, make sure your babysitter isn't packin' heat ...

5-year-old Texas boy accidentally kills himself with napping babysitter's gun

The sheriff's office said Ringhardt, who lives with the boy's family, left her semiautomatic .40-caliber handgun on a coffee table when she went into a bedroom to take a nap Monday afternoon. When she woke up, she couldn't immediately find the boy, identified as John Read, according to the sheriff's office. She eventually discovered him dead in the living room, it said.

...  because we all know that being a babysitter in Texas is fraught with danger. As a consequence, so is being babysat.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #360 on: October 23, 2013, 10:58:19 AM »
Sounds flimsy. Didn't get woken up by the gunshot?

-Nam

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +893/-6
« Reply #361 on: October 23, 2013, 03:27:25 PM »
Sounds flimsy. Didn't get woken up by the gunshot?

-Nam

Maybe it was a really big house? You should not be taking a nap in a different room if you are babysitting a child. She was actually babysitting her gun, and not doing a very good job of it. I would not be surprised if alcohol and/or drugs are involved. :?

Added info--I just read the article. So sad. Turns out the babysitter was a 19 year old girl who was also watching a 6 month old baby. And had a loaded gun because she was afraid of being in the house with the kids alone. Did she even know how to properly use a gun?

There was no phone, so she carried both the wounded child and the baby down the street to the grandmother's house to call 911.

How can anyone read that and think that family was better off with a gun around than not? How about selling the gun at the pawn shop and buying a phone so you can get help if something bad (and not easily fixable with gunplay) happens? What was this girl supposed to do if one of the kids fell and hit its head or stopped breathing--shoot at it?

That is such a tragedy for the entire family. Nobody involved will ever get over it. But "gun rights" trump everything. :(
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 04:02:13 PM by nogodsforme »

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #362 on: October 24, 2013, 10:29:54 AM »
Gun culture ... you win some, you lose some ...

Boy with toy gun shot and killed by Calif. deputies

SANTA ROSA, Calif. — A Northern California community is anguished over the fatal police shooting of a popular, 13-year-old boy who had been carrying a pellet gun that looked like an assault rifle.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #363 on: October 24, 2013, 04:40:03 PM »
Gun culture ... you win some, you lose some ...

Boy with toy gun shot and killed by Calif. deputies

SANTA ROSA, Calif. — A Northern California community is anguished over the fatal police shooting of a popular, 13-year-old boy who had been carrying a pellet gun that looked like an assault rifle.

Did they ask him to put it down first? That's my only question.

-Nam

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +275/-31
« Reply #364 on: October 24, 2013, 05:04:50 PM »
Apparently so:

Sonoma County sheriff's deputies had repeatedly asked the boy, Andy Lopez, to drop the weapon, but instead he raised it in their direction, police said at a news conference Wednesday.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #365 on: October 24, 2013, 05:38:42 PM »
Apparently so:

Sonoma County sheriff's deputies had repeatedly asked the boy, Andy Lopez, to drop the weapon, but instead he raised it in their direction, police said at a news conference Wednesday.

Sounds like suicide-by-cop.

-Nam

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +275/-31
« Reply #366 on: October 24, 2013, 05:55:01 PM »
...according to the cops.  More like suicide by stupidity though, if their account is true.  There's no indication the kid actually wanted to die.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #367 on: October 25, 2013, 05:04:24 AM »
I always make sure to have my hunting rifle next to me when I start taking a new pain medication because, well, you just never know when a deer or bear might show up in the parking lot and you need to kill it.

Police surround unconscious man with rifle

Guns were drawn, a SWAT team was in position, and a helicopter was hovering above Walkersville early Thursday afternoon.

A report of a person in a vehicle with a gun turned out to be a man next to a hunting rifle who had lost consciousness after taking a newly prescribed pain medication, Maryland State Police said.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +893/-6
« Reply #368 on: October 25, 2013, 06:43:24 PM »
At least, if he had started seeing gigantic pink and green plaid flying banana slugs while on that medication, he would have been able to take those suckers right out! You can't be too careful these days. And good eating? Hell yeah!  :P

I am watching A Beautiful Mind--fantastic movie. But that mentally ill genius math professor should have been heavily armed, so he could have taken out those Soviet agents when they came bursting into his lecture hall. Amirite?  &)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #369 on: October 30, 2013, 08:35:55 AM »
gun fail 41
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/10/29/1248982/-GunFAIL-XLI

there is a link to a revealing conversation on a gun forum.  A guy who had been carrying at work accidentally discharged his gun in the mens room.  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1545936_how_has_your_day_been_so_far___I_just_had_a_ND_in_the_bathroom_at_the_office_UPDATE_OP.html&page=1

I find it sad how many people are willing to cut him slack for doing a boneheaded thing.  I find it criminal how many people counsel him to keep the police out of it.  If I were a gun owner, I would not want this idiot carrying.  If I worked with him, I would be looking for a new job if he was not fired.  Heh.  Fired.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +893/-6
« Reply #370 on: October 30, 2013, 02:43:16 PM »
^^^^It shows that the gun lobby has done their job. Gun ownership--but not food or medical care-- as our basic human right as an American. We would rather let stupid people have guns than take a chance that someone "might need one and not be able to get one". When we don't even value our own safety. &)

I wonder how the pro-gun people feel about illegal immigrants owning guns.....  :?

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #371 on: October 30, 2013, 03:09:51 PM »
So you are at work and some idiot discharges a gun in the men's room.  The reaction is:
maybe everyone will just laugh about it and move on.

they have, I am not in trouble at all, even the building owner has laughing about it when he was looking at the tile.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1545936_how_has_your_day_been_so_far___I_just_had_a_ND_in_the_bathroom_at_the_office_UPDATE_OP.html&page=3#i43361526

do you still want to work there?

edit - link added

edit - I am happy about the more scoldy type of responses.  However, I don't think any of them are severe enough and they are too much in the minority.

edit - it took until page 5 to get someone to call this fool out for being negligent and suggesting he take responsibility. Everyone else is all "so glad no one is hurt and you still have your job"  I would be all "you fcking imbicile, I hope they fire you, arrest you and take your children away." 

edit - famous last words on page  9:
NEVER thought this would happen to me.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1545936_how_has_your_day_been_so_far___I_just_had_a_ND_in_the_bathroom_at_the_office_UPDATE_OP.html&page=9#i43366368

« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 03:49:55 PM by screwtape »
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #372 on: October 30, 2013, 07:54:49 PM »
do you still want to work there?

I have never worked in a place where employees can bring guns to work every day, and I have no desire to do so. Obviously, I do not work in law enforcement or corrections, and unless I worked at a gun range I cannot imagine a need to bring a gun to work everyday.

It shows that the gun lobby has done their job. Gun ownership--but not food or medical care-- as our basic human right as an American.

Religion and guns go together well -- the advocates of both rely on fear to perpetuate their beliefs.

I don't know why some Americans are so in fear of their lives that they are compelled to bring guns to work and risk shooting someone. That is just asinine.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #373 on: November 01, 2013, 04:47:45 PM »
We don't need background checks for the sale of guns, person-to-person. Nope, not at all. I see a very proud Merkin.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +893/-6
« Reply #374 on: November 01, 2013, 05:22:46 PM »
Let's do that background check thing, why don't we?
White- check.
US citizen- check.
Male- check.
Batsh!t crazy- check.

He looks just fine to me. Sell him some guns and ammo. :P

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #375 on: November 01, 2013, 05:31:15 PM »
Harford County police identify man who ran from authorities after traffic stop

Maryland Transportation Authority Police have identified a 22-year-old North Carolina man as the person killed in Harford County after running from police who discovered guns in the trunk of a rental car that he was driving.

The trunk of a rental car is a very convenient place to store your rifles. And, while attempting to protect your rifles, you run across I-95 to distract the police and, yet, die ... by the physics of a larger, conspicuous mass traveling about 1/60th the speed of a bullet.

Offline epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +58/-14
« Reply #376 on: November 06, 2013, 03:17:01 PM »
We don't need background checks for the sale of guns, person-to-person. Nope, not at all. I see a very proud Merkin.

would he have failed a background check?

Would he have failed a background check at the time he purchased his rifle?

PS person to person or as a dealer I would have sold my gun to this guy:)