Author Topic: "Affluenza" teen to serve two years  (Read 53 times)

Online Jag

• Fellow
  • Darwins +376/-9
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
"Affluenza" teen to serve two years
« on: May 12, 2016, 12:38:38 PM »
Ethan Couch going to jail

A twist I didn't anticipate:
"Tonya Couch is on house arrest at her other son's home after she was charged with helping Ethan Couch flee. The 48-year-old faces between two and 10 years in prison if convicted of hindering the apprehension of a felon."

Mom could end up serving more time than the kid.
“Be skeptical. But when you get proof, accept proof.” –Michael Specter

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca the Younger (4 BC - 65 AD)

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +867/-28
  • Is this going somewhere?
Re: "Affluenza" teen to serve two years
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 02:34:38 PM »
Despite everything, I do agree with the original defence explanation of "affluenza" - the mother's actions are definitive. You can't help but think that the mother has a huge sense of blind entitlement that 4 or 5 years inside are probably not enough to dispel.

Two years for Ethan is still lenient; the drinks party at which he was seems to require little investigation - he was there and has not learned any lessons, he's still living in that world created for him by his parents.

It's all a mess.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Online Jag

• Fellow
  • Darwins +376/-9
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 02:55:46 PM »
The explanation probably would have been better received, if no less controversial, if both parent had been charged and the whole family shared identical sentences, carried out in different facilities. If the parents are responsible by having created such a sense of entitlement, then it seems appropriate for all of them to share the consequences.

Edit: I wonder if there is legal precedent for doing something like that?
“Be skeptical. But when you get proof, accept proof.” –Michael Specter

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca the Younger (4 BC - 65 AD)

Offline natlegend

• Fellow
  • Darwins +162/-3
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 04:04:33 PM »
If 'affluenza' is a real condition, then children of rich parents need to be removed from their homes in order to protect their morality.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

"Ray, when someone asks you, if you're a god, you say YES!!"