Author Topic: For those who celebrated Easter...  (Read 211 times)

Offline CrystalDragon

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +81/-3
  • Proud Whovian
For those who celebrated Easter...
« on: April 10, 2017, 10:04:11 AM »
I know that Easter's still a week away, but what the heck.

For those who were Christians as a kid and celebrated Easter, did you have any special traditions or the like? Was your Easter more "Jesus's resurrection"-centric, "Easter Bunny"-centric, or a combination? (It was a combo for me)
Sometimes what is unknown is the most interesting.

"It is always darker right before the light.  Or for some people, it just stays dark, but they don't seem to notice."

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +327/-9
Re: For those who celebrated Easter...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 10:18:15 AM »
We hunted eggs (some were not found until late July), ate ham dinner, and suffered through a long mass.  I hope Jesus does not see His shadow this year.  I am tired of winter.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-17
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 11:04:30 AM »
lots of candy, and had to hunt for my easter basket.  There was usually a ham dinner.  My mom always got me a white chocolate cross (no dead jesus on it) and never quite got that I hate white chocolate.   

Never went to sunrise services because cows don't care about religion, they want milked when they are used to it.  When to church, and I seem to remember having the bread and grape juice on easter.   Prior to easter, we often dyed eggs with the classic Paas tablets at my granparents.  Sometimes did an egg hunt and thus I learned just how much my parents and grandparents favored the youngest grandchild and the boy grandchild.   :P
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline stuffin

• Reader
  • Darwins +53/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 02:11:33 PM »
Dyed eggs and ate all the candy I could.

I was sent to church with a quarter to put in the basket, never made it, stopped at the soda fountain and got a cherry coke.

Ham or lamb were the choices for Easter Sunday Dinner.
The Greatest Story Ever Told Was So Wrong

Been Two thousand Years and He Ain't Shown Yet,

We Kept His Seat Warm and The Table Set.

The Greatest Story Ever Told Was So Wrong, So Wrong.

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +92/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 02:41:44 PM »
Well, if you want to count the fact that I'd had a christening when a baby (though when a kid I never knew what to believe either way) family Easter celebrating tradition was pretty much as it is now. Eating hot cross buns and chocolate Easter eggs! Sometimes we'd have boiled eggs and soldiers on the day too. :D

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +270/-34
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 03:39:51 PM »
Sometimes we'd have boiled eggs and soldiers on the day too. :D

:o

Is that legal where you are from?
When I criticize political parties or candidates, I am not criticizing you. If I criticize you, there will be no doubt in your mind as to what I am saying.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +223/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 04:14:37 PM »
When I was little we got new outfits to wear to church.  We died eggs and they were hidden in the yard for us to find after church.  On Easter morning we had an Easter basket with assorted candies - chocolate bunnies and eggs and of course jelly beans.  I tried to do the same for my son when he was little.  One year when we came home from church some of the eggs were missing.  I thought neighborhood kids had sneaked into our yard until I noticed eggs missing from inside as well.  It turned out our dog had eaten the eggs, shell and all.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +327/-9
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 07:01:15 PM »
I have a buddy who tells the story about his dad.  He would hide a 100 bill along with eggs.  One year he froze it inside an ice cube in a tray of ice cubes.  They did not find that one until much later in the year.

Offline The Gawd

• Reader
  • Darwins +147/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 07:08:27 PM »
Oddly enough the last church service I attended was an Easter Sunday service (excluding weddings and funerals). Me and my buddy were apparently talking too much during the service and the usher tried to make me leave the sanctuary and sit in overflow. I told him no and just left, never to return. This was before I accepted the atheist label, but I knew it was a farce.

Anywho, I would say our Easters were a combo of Jesus and Bunny. Now they're all Bunny.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +433/-5
  • I can haz jeezusburgerâ„¢
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 02:27:40 AM »
I think we just ignored it. It's a fake holiday, anyway. They can't even decide what day it's on, which says a lot about their ethics.
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be bleedn obvious.

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +92/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 06:42:42 AM »
Sometimes we'd have boiled eggs and soldiers on the day too. :D

:o

Is that legal where you are from?

Hmm good point! The Metropolitan toast police could work it out one day! ;D

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +92/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 06:45:52 AM »
When I was little we got new outfits to wear to church.  We died eggs and they were hidden in the yard for us to find after church.  On Easter morning we had an Easter basket with assorted candies - chocolate bunnies and eggs and of course jelly beans.  I tried to do the same for my son when he was little.  One year when we came home from church some of the eggs were missing.  I thought neighborhood kids had sneaked into our yard until I noticed eggs missing from inside as well.  It turned out our dog had eaten the eggs, shell and all.

Aww! Hoping your dog was okay after!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 06:47:40 AM by Emma286 »

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +327/-9
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 01:20:41 PM »
Odd how the fact that rabbits don't produce eggs never seems to be a problem...but I guess if you can buy talking snakes, a ribbed woman, and a guy living inside a fish...rabbits and eggs is an easy step.

Online velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-17
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 01:59:23 PM »
I have to mention the really bizarre stop motion easter special!   

Here Comes Peter Cottontail

Of course it's Rankin/Bass.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_Comes_Peter_Cottontail 

and there are more (which also seem to be on youtube):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Easter_Bunny_Is_Comin%27_to_Town

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_First_Easter_Rabbit

« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 02:08:25 PM by velkyn »
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +92/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 01:48:22 AM »
Odd how the fact that rabbits don't produce eggs never seems to be a problem...but I guess if you can buy talking snakes, a ribbed woman, and a guy living inside a fish...rabbits and eggs is an easy step.

In fiction anything goes! Of course, would be good if it was admitted more often this was fiction!

I often think the chocolate bunnies look too cool to eat!

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +92/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 04:53:44 AM »
Thanks for those shares Velkyn, will check those out when I can!

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +433/-5
  • I can haz jeezusburgerâ„¢
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 08:10:36 AM »
In fiction anything goes! Of course, would be good if it was admitted more often this was fiction!

Maybe that's the next step in the evolution of religion. People forcing religion down your throat, and telling you that it's fake, but you have to believe anyway, because they can't think of anything else.
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be bleedn obvious.

Offline CrystalDragon

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +81/-3
  • Proud Whovian
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2017, 10:20:53 AM »

I always just saw it as the Easter Bunny getting eggs from some birds and then painting them to leave them around for children to find, or use plastic eggs because real ones are too messy. XD

I have to mention the really bizarre stop motion easter special!   

Here Comes Peter Cottontail

Of course it's Rankin/Bass.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_Comes_Peter_Cottontail 

and there are more (which also seem to be on youtube):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Easter_Bunny_Is_Comin%27_to_Town

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_First_Easter_Rabbit

That special was my childhood! Thanks for reminding me!

For me, along with the above special, it was learning about the Bible verses of Jesus's death and resurrection leading up to Easter Sunday, then on Easter itself waking up and finding Easter Eggs, going to church, and going on an egg hunt.
Sometimes what is unknown is the most interesting.

"It is always darker right before the light.  Or for some people, it just stays dark, but they don't seem to notice."

Online velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-17
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2017, 05:56:56 PM »
the other thing I find myself doing is watching Jesus Christ Superstar around Easter.  It's a good story, as much as any myth can be, and Judas gets the good songs.

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +92/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2017, 02:23:46 AM »

Maybe that's the next step in the evolution of religion. People forcing religion down your throat, and telling you that it's fake, but you have to believe anyway, because they can't think of anything else.

Could well be!