Author Topic: toilet gods  (Read 69 times)

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +223/-7
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
toilet gods
« on: May 09, 2016, 06:55:19 AM »
the amount of information on this is most curious:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toilet_god

but for an information addict like myself, this is great! 

"Such deities have been associated with health, well-being and fertility (because of the association between human waste and agriculture) and have been propitiated in a wide variety of ways, including making offerings, invoking and appeasing them through prayers, meditating and carrying out ritual actions such as clearing one's throat before entering or even biting the latrine to transfer spiritual forces back to the gods."
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Emma286

• Reader
  • Darwins +65/-1
  • WWGHA Member
Re: toilet gods
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 07:21:08 AM »
Am slightly tempted to say something lavatory humour related to that, but thinking maybe it wouldn't be the most appropriate thing to do here, so won't! ;)

Will stick with just saying "Dear dear me, the things people come up with at times!" *shakes her head*

Edit: referring to the people who came up with the idea of toilet gods by the way!

« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 07:45:57 AM by Emma286 »

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +861/-28
  • Is this going somewhere?
Re: toilet gods
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 02:17:36 PM »
I liked this bit:

They additionally propitiated Stercutius (named from stercus or excrement), the god of dung, who was particularly important to farmers when fertilising their fields with manure. He had a close relationship with Saturn, the god of agriculture. Early Christians seem to have found Stercutius particularly ridiculous; he was a target of mockery for St. Augustine of Hippo in his book City of God in the early 5th century AD.
I am imagining Augustine saying
"And they have this god that takes care of shit! You spread it on the fields and pray to him and you get crops, that presumably taste of shit!

How ridiculous! They need Christianity in which the soul is addressed - I don't know where I be if I did not believe that God sent Himself to Earth, killed himself, although He didn't die, and then came alive again, thus I am sin free!

Those pagans, eh? What you gonna do with 'em?"
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”