Author Topic: Interesting trip  (Read 977 times)

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
Interesting trip
« on: May 09, 2013, 06:13:16 PM »
I'm just back from an overnight work trip to a small town an hour away from where I live by small plane.

For a start, I very much dis-like small planes. So I wasn't really looking forward to it. As I waited for the shuttle bus to take me from Airport Parking to the airport I moved forward on the chair and felt my pants split in the rear. Wonderful. No time to buy a replacement before the flight, no time to buy pants before my first interview after landing. I tried keeping my rathr large Bum facing away from public view as much as possible.

At the small town the hire car I booked wasn't available, so I had to use a very large manual utility, it's been years since I drove a manual, and it was a beast to park in the town.

Got through my first two interviews OK, bought some new pants. Then I called to confirm my final interview, which was happening at night at the Hotel which was subject of the assualt claim I was investigating (insurance investigation). Turns out it's an "adult entertainment complex". So I had visions of trying to conduct my interviews whilst swaying out of the way of bare breasted girls carrying drinks etc. Fortunately, I was able to do the interviews in a separate area. I did need to take photos of the adult area, but they kept the nudity well clear of my camera.

Go on up you baldhead.

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +32/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
Re: Interesting trip
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 08:49:27 PM »
Wow, fascinating Mr. man from down under &)
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 09:26:34 PM »
Would you like that 10 minutes of your life back?
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 10:14:39 PM »
>snip< claim I was investigating (insurance investigation).>snip<

So I guess you'd have a good understanding of the value of "evidence" as opposed to "feelings" then magicm?  ;)

"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 10:29:05 PM »
Look at it this way.  You could have worn your pants with the hole it it.  Maybe got it sold as "assless chaps, for the business man".
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Online JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +252/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 10:43:05 PM »
I'm just back from an overnight work trip to a small town an hour away from where I live by small plane.

For a start, I very much dis-like small planes. So I wasn't really looking forward to it. As I waited for the shuttle bus to take me from Airport Parking to the airport I moved forward on the chair and felt my pants split in the rear. Wonderful. No time to buy a replacement before the flight, no time to buy pants before my first interview after landing. I tried keeping my rathr large Bum facing away from public view as much as possible.

At the small town the hire car I booked wasn't available, so I had to use a very large manual utility, it's been years since I drove a manual, and it was a beast to park in the town.

So far I'm bored out of my skull here... 

Got through my first two interviews OK, bought some new pants. Then I called to confirm my final interview, which was happening at night at the Hotel which was subject of the assualt claim I was investigating (insurance investigation).

Still bored. 

Turns out it's an "adult entertainment complex". So I had visions of trying to conduct my interviews whilst swaying out of the way of bare breasted girls carrying drinks etc.

HELLOOOOOOOO!!!

Fortunately, I was able to do the interviews in a separate area. I did need to take photos of the adult area, but they kept the nudity well clear of my camera.

Aaaaaand we're bored again. 
Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 11:13:39 PM »

Turns out it's an "adult entertainment complex". So I had visions of trying to conduct my interviews whilst swaying out of the way of bare breasted girls carrying drinks etc.

HELLOOOOOOOO!!!

So, shall we assume Jeff's index finger is longer than his ring finger?
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 12:17:54 AM »

So far I'm bored out of my skull here... 

Got through my first two interviews OK, bought some new pants. Then I called to confirm my final interview, which was happening at night at the Hotel which was subject of the assualt claim I was investigating (insurance investigation).

Still bored. 

HELLOOOOOOOO!!!

Fortunately, I was able to do the interviews in a separate area. I did need to take photos of the adult area, but they kept the nudity well clear of my camera.

Aaaaaand we're bored again.

I need to work on my material. Or at least maybe tell some of my amusing Physical Therapy anecdotes.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 12:20:13 AM »

So I guess you'd have a good understanding of the value of "evidence" as opposed to "feelings" then magicm?  ;)

I have the fun of submitting both 'factual' and 'opinion' reports for injury claims.

Go on up you baldhead.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 12:48:34 AM »

I have the fun of submitting both 'factual' and 'opinion' reports for injury claims.

But that would be your "considered" opinion based on fact?

EDIT ADDED The theistic belief is not extrapolated it comes from whole cloth.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 12:50:28 AM by kin hell »
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 01:10:53 AM »

Thats right.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 01:13:19 AM »

Thats right.

are you a good investigator?

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 01:28:14 AM »
My clients haven't complained so far.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 02:49:12 AM »
Interesting story. Well I guess things kinda went tits up. *bedum tish*

But the real question is, are you a serial killer? I mean, if you're a serial killer, nobody ever complains, at least not for long. ;) People in customer services have that life long dream. :P

Also, if you are, are you for hire?
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 03:29:22 AM »

are you a good investigator?

would you say rational appraisal is the key tool in your job as an investigator?

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 03:38:20 AM »
Pretty much.

Go on up you baldhead.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 03:43:08 AM »

But the real question is, are you a serial killer? I mean, if you're a serial killer, nobody ever complains, at least not for long. ;) People in customer services have that life long dream. :P

What was that about bullshit being your second language...
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 03:43:55 AM »
Pretty much.

So is your considered opinion ever formed by a lack of evidence?

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 04:01:55 AM »
Never by a total lack of evidence. Sometimes the evidence leads to a few possible conclusions, and on those occasions its necessary to try and get a 'gut feel' for a situation.

As an example, on this trip I so boringly wrote about in the OP I was investigating an allegation that security officers had used undue force to restrain a patron and in doing so badly fractured his arm. This was after he had allegedly been head-butted by an off-duty security guard. I interviewed the witness nominated by the claimant, who admitted he is a close friend, and he gave me a version of events pretty much identical to what was alleged in the claim. I also interviewed one of the security guards involved, (and the son of the licensee), as well as a bartender who had been working on the night in question. They told a very different story, in which the claiamnt was the aggressor, throwing punches and hurting his wrist whilst flinging himself back onto the bar whilst held in a wrist-lock.

No CCTV footage because it was an adult entertainment area. Interesting. What actually happened?

The police were pretty willing to chat with me on this one, and confirmed that they investigated the matter from a criminal perspective and concluded insufficient evidence to proceed with charges. One of the things that threw doubt in their mind was lack of physical evidence that the claiamnt had been head-butted. However, the detective also told me off-the-record (on the basis that I only report the information verbally to my client, and in generic fashion) that this particular security guard had been in trouble for years because of similar incidents, and although had never been convicted, general feeling was that he was hot-tempered and skilled at covering his tracks.

My factual report to my client? (my client is the liability insurer for the hotel). That's easy. I present the various different accounts, include the official police report, provide photos of where the incident occurred etc etc.

My opinion on how the insurer might best proceed? Tough to know. I'm still weighing up my personal impressions from having met and interviewed the security guard. I need to investigate any past licencing breaches (one was admitted, the police hint there may have been several). I would say, probably, that I'll recommend the claim be 'setttled on best terms'. It's one that would be risky to take to trial, bearing in mind that a judge would not have to be factually convinced to make a decision that the hotel had been negligent.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 04:03:09 AM »

What was that about bullshit being your second language...

German's my second language, bullshit's my third. I know, I'm so fluent most people tend to mistake it as my first, but I was never born a policitian, so I had to learn it, surprisingly I learned German before I learned bullshit, I know most people learn bullshit first.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 04:05:25 AM by Seppuku »
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 04:06:31 AM »
surprisingly I learned German before I learned bullshit, I know most people learn it as a second language.

I never learnt foreign language, but bizarelly we were taught in school how to make German and Italian tanks. The key was to include 10 gears, 1 forward and 9 reverse.

:D
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 04:08:28 AM »
Never by a total lack of evidence. >snip<

I didn't snip from lack of interest mm, but I'm obviously following a particular train of thought.

So as a theist, does it concern you that you have a total lack of evidence supporting the belief system that absolutely and completely describes your universe?

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2013, 04:16:01 AM »
Never by a total lack of evidence. >snip<

I didn't snip from lack of interest mm, but I'm obviously following a particular train of thought.

So as a theist, does it concern you that you have a total lack of evidence supporting the belief system that absolutely and completely describes your universe?

Your question has thrown me for a loop, as I didn't see it coming.... ;)

You hijacking my thread with a serious question???

Fair enough. Surely you know by now that we disagree about this total lack of evidence. I believe the evidence is there. I find it conpelling.

But...again, as I have said many times, it is an externally intangible, un-communicaable (in the normal sense), internal conviction about God that seals the deal for me.

To put it mildly, the sense I get that God is a reality outweighs the sense I get that my clients security guard is telling porky pies about a billion fold.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2013, 04:31:38 AM »
Never by a total lack of evidence. Sometimes the evidence leads to a few possible conclusions, and on those occasions its necessary to try and get a 'gut feel' for a situation.

As an example, on this trip I so boringly wrote about in the OP I was investigating an allegation that security officers had used undue force to restrain a patron and in doing so badly fractured his arm. This was after he had allegedly been head-butted by an off-duty security guard. I interviewed the witness nominated by the claimant, who admitted he is a close friend, and he gave me a version of events pretty much identical to what was alleged in the claim. I also interviewed one of the security guards involved, (and the son of the licensee), as well as a bartender who had been working on the night in question. They told a very different story, in which the claiamnt was the aggressor, throwing punches and hurting his wrist whilst flinging himself back onto the bar whilst held in a wrist-lock.

No CCTV footage because it was an adult entertainment area. Interesting. What actually happened?

The police were pretty willing to chat with me on this one, and confirmed that they investigated the matter from a criminal perspective and concluded insufficient evidence to proceed with charges. One of the things that threw doubt in their mind was lack of physical evidence that the claiamnt had been head-butted. However, the detective also told me off-the-record (on the basis that I only report the information verbally to my client, and in generic fashion) that this particular security guard had been in trouble for years because of similar incidents, and although had never been convicted, general feeling was that he was hot-tempered and skilled at covering his tracks.

My factual report to my client? (my client is the liability insurer for the hotel). That's easy. I present the various different accounts, include the official police report, provide photos of where the incident occurred etc etc.

My opinion on how the insurer might best proceed? Tough to know. I'm still weighing up my personal impressions from having met and interviewed the security guard. I need to investigate any past licencing breaches (one was admitted, the police hint there may have been several). I would say, probably, that I'll recommend the claim be 'setttled on best terms'. It's one that would be risky to take to trial, bearing in mind that a judge would not have to be factually convinced to make a decision that the hotel had been negligent.

The real question here is did you get some sneaky pics of the "entertainers"? I bet you did dintcha  ;)

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2013, 04:33:37 AM »
No sir. The manager checked my camera to be sure of it. I got the impression the real 'action' was going on in some of the side rooms.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2013, 04:48:50 AM »

Your question has thrown me for a loop, as I didn't see it coming.... ;)

yes it was a brilliant ambush stratagem wasn't it?  ;)

You hijacking my thread with a serious question???

Fair enough. Surely you know by now that we disagree about this total lack of evidence. I believe the evidence is there. I find it conpelling.

But...again, as I have said many times, it is an externally intangible, un-communicaable (in the normal sense), internal conviction about God that seals the deal for me.

To put it mildly, the sense I get that God is a reality outweighs the sense I get that my clients security guard is telling porky pies about a billion fold.

My point wasn't to ambush you mm but to get an understanding of what you normally require as evidence.
Obviously the disparity is apparent only to the outsider,and cannot be countered by an outsider, as internal conviction as evidence cannot be faulted by the believer as it is both subjective and convincing.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2013, 05:11:07 AM »

My point wasn't to ambush you mm but to get an understanding of what you normally require as evidence.

The very fact that I need to use a rational approach to reach conclusions is one of the most compelling pieces of evidence (for me) that the world has some rationality behind it.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2013, 05:31:49 AM »
Look at this....the first post directed to me on wwgha:

Hi everybody, I stumbled across this site today and have read some of the posts. Some interesting folk are regulars here, and I've had a great laugh already at some of the taglines on profiles.

So, I am a Christian, an Australian, a husband and father of two. I work in the insurance investigation area. I love cricket ( probably a very low or even non-existent profile sport in the USA ) and soccer. I love a good argument I mean friendly discussion...catch you round soon.

.......greetings fellow earthling   (subsect fellow aussie)

I've actually noticed cricket bats in one or two? US movies, so it cannot be completely non-existant over there. ;)

I imagine insurance investigation would require continual deliberate and painstakingly honest rational examination?
This can only be a good thing. :)

Hope you have fun here, see you around the boards

Everything old is new again....
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2013, 06:44:01 AM »
No sir. The manager checked my camera to be sure of it. I got the impression the real 'action' was going on in some of the side rooms.

Fair enough.

Just remind me again, why was this an interesting trip?