I had reason to work through this recently - more on that some other time though. I came up with the "dogma" of the "religion" I'm going to promote to my granddaughter as she grows up, in order to avoid stepping on any toes (her mommy's) and still convey what I think are the most important "rules" for her to know about life. This is a draft version, in progress after I finish finals next week.
1. Respect yourself, others, your possessions and resources, and the planet
2. Say what you mean, and mean what you say
3. Always aim first for the greatest benefit to the most people. If that is not an option, then go for the least harm to the fewest people
4. Be truthful without being unnecessarily unkind, including to yourself
5. Other people's feelings are as real to them as your own are to you - remember that and act accordingly