Author Topic: Heisenburger: You know my name.  (Read 992 times)

Offline Heisenburger

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WTFWJD?
Heisenburger: You know my name.
« on: May 07, 2013, 10:36:47 PM »
     I'm the son of a preacher man from East Texas. I spent 28 years as a spirit-filled Christian.  I spoke in "tongues" and felt God's "presence" many times.  Doubts crept in when I felt that same presence from marijuana about two years ago.  Bouts with depression led to mental healthcare.  Mental healthcare led to rational thought and now I'm here, happy and sober.
     I'm a huge movie geek and have one terrible screenplay to my name.  Other than that, I don't know what I am.  I guess I'm building my new identity and reality.
“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.”  -Richard Pryor

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
Re: Heisenburger: You know my name.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 10:45:45 PM »
Welcome to the site. Hope you enjoy the discussions.

I'm a Christian living in Australia.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Heisenburger

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WTFWJD?
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 11:05:02 PM »
Thanks.  I love the diversity and (mostly) respect of everyone on here.  Seen some heated debates as well :) 
“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.”  -Richard Pryor

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 11:07:59 PM »
Thanks.  I love the diversity and (mostly) respect of everyone on here.  Seen some heated debates as well :)

It's never dull, that's true.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Heisenburger

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WTFWJD?
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 11:19:12 PM »
Man you can tell I'm an American. I had to google Brazil 2014.  I don't watch American football either, though.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 11:23:30 PM »
But you had the event in 1994!! (worst final ever)

Bloody annoying, we love soccer in Australia and there's no chance we'll ever host one.

We must have done some major bribing to get the 2000 Olympics.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 02:57:16 AM »
greetings fellow earthling

sounds like you did a circuitous trip to rationality      welcome
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-2
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 03:55:59 AM »
Welcome!

Say, could you hook me up with some of that blue stuff you're cooking?
Whatdoyoumean "That's only fiction"?!
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 07:49:18 AM »
Welcome.  The cleansing of "mythology as reality" from your brain is a great step towards finding out who, or what you are!

I've never felt more free and alive than the day I called myself atheist out loud.  The only noticeable change from my own assessment, is that I no longer tolerate religious groups telling anyone else what to believe, or how to live, or what is right and wrong.

If people want to believe in gods, have at it.  But leave the rest of us alone.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 08:40:44 AM »
Welcome.  Do people write in tongues also?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Heisenburger

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WTFWJD?
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 12:38:49 PM »
Say, could you hook me up with some of that blue stuff you're cooking?

I would stick to the blue rock candy they use on the show;D

Welcome.  Do people write in tongues also?

That's an amazing argument against speaking it! Man I love this thinking phenomenon!

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 12:46:57 PM »
Welcome to the forums. There's plenty of diversity as you say, generally the number of atheists outweighs the number of Christians, but everybody's different and it definitely makes things interesting. It gets heated here, but a great way to have your own claims placed under scrutinity. I hope you get something out of your stay here. Despite heated debates, people are generally quite friendly, of course, stop by Chatter to chill out - great if you do get in a heated debate. ;)

Also, I am an atheist Buddhist from England. I know atheists tend to have a reputation to be humanist (prolly on account of Dawkins being one), but I've found myself agreeing more with the philosophies found in Buddhism, but I am by no means bound by the ideals, I simply adopt the term because I agree with enough teachings to be able to identify with it. I don't buy any of the 'woo' and I don't have to. :) You'll prolly encounter different kinds of ideas, though I'd say most of us here are scientifically minded and prefer people's claims to be backed up with something solid to ensure its reliability.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +131/-7
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 07:36:33 PM »
     I'm the son of a preacher man from East Texas. I spent 28 years as a spirit-filled Christian.  I spoke in "tongues" and felt God's "presence" many times.  Doubts crept in when I felt that same presence from marijuana about two years ago. 

What lead a spirit-filled Christian to use marijuana?

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Heisenburger

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WTFWJD?
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 07:50:08 PM »

What lead a spirit-filled Christian to use marijuana?

Typical Preacher's Kid rebellion.  Forbidden fruit, ya know? :angel:  His hypocrisy was a leading factor in my search for truth. 

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +131/-7
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 08:02:32 PM »
Typical Preacher's Kid rebellion.  Forbidden fruit, ya know? :angel:  His hypocrisy was a leading factor in my search for truth.

Sometimes Christians get sucked into their own undertow, creating much flotsam and jetsam.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline shnozzola

• Reader
  • Darwins +110/-2
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 08:32:17 PM »
I love your signature, Heis.   Richard Pryor -  Talk about somebody that wasn't afraid of the truth - and funny as hell.
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline Heisenburger

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WTFWJD?
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2013, 09:17:12 PM »
Thanks.  I like Pryor, Louis CK and Anthony Jeselnik the best.  They can make you laugh about some pretty terrible things.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2013, 10:11:57 PM »
Hi there Heisenburger.

Resident dreadlocked black atheist commie mommy here. College professor by trade. Raised in a JW home with plenty 'o dysfundamentalism. I am pretty irreverent here to make up for having to hold my tongue around religious foolishness IRL.

I like me some Louis CK. He's like a white Chris Rock.  :D

Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 06:48:35 AM »
Thanks.  I like Pryor, Louis CK and Anthony Jeselnik the best.  They can make you laugh about some pretty terrible things.

I'm a Chappelle, Bill Burr, Kevin Hart typa guy. But they all obviously owe Pryor, Carlin, and Robin Williams oddly enough for paving the way...

As a movie buff, whats your most quoted movie?

Oh and welcome!

Offline Heisenburger

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WTFWJD?
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 08:22:06 AM »

I'm a Chappelle, Bill Burr, Kevin Hart typa guy.

I cant't believe I left out Bill Burr, star of Breaking Bad!  Favorite movie is The Fountain. It's all about life, death and everything in between. As far as quotable, it's The Dark Knight. I used to do a Joker impression before the Aurora shooting made me stop. People kind of get creeped out if I try it now. Oh, Robocop!  The simple "Bitches leave" spoken by the villain can fit any social situation ;)