Author Topic: Greenandwhite  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Greenandwhite

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +5/-4
  • WWGHA Member
Greenandwhite
« on: April 27, 2013, 01:39:05 AM »
Just thought I would say a few things about myself and ask a question:
        I grew up on a farm and maybe got to spend more time outside than the average kid because my parents homeschooled me from K to 12 (if I worked really hard I could be done and outside by lunchtime; however, if I slacked off it could be a long day).  My parents did most of the teaching and supervision until grade 10 when the subjects started to require a bit more preparation time than they could manage.  It was at this point that they enrolled me in A BEKA Video school produced out of Pensacola Florida.  Not sure how many are familiar with A Beka Academy but suffice it to say, it could be classified as super ultra conservative in every way.  While I don't agree with everything they taught, I am still a theist and am probably more sympathetic to the US than are most Canadians (except when it comes to hockey).  Today some of my biggest interests are watching sports, quality beer and cheese, and a good game of cribbage. 
        One question I have is in regards to quoting sources in posts.  Is it good etiquette to quote from a book that I might own or have checked out of the library or is it best to always have a link to an on line source?

Offline DumpsterFire

• Graduate
  • Darwins +61/-0
  • The Flaming Duck of Death!
Re: Greenandwhite
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 01:46:26 AM »
Welcome to the forum, G&W. Feel free to quote anything you wish, just please provide the source (it doesn't have to be a link).

Pensacola must have been quite a switch from the Great White North, eh?

Providing rednecks with sunblock since 1996.

I once met a man who claimed to be a genius, then boasted that he was a member of "Mesa".

Think for yourself.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 01:49:34 AM »
What a fantastic, courteous introduction. Welcome. I'm also a theist (Christian), but we're pretty thin on the ground.

I'd love to visit Canada one day, but it's an expensive exercise from here in Australia.

I'm with you on the quality beer also - in fact, I'm about to knock the froth off a couple right now.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 01:51:39 AM by magicmiles »
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 05:39:44 AM »
Welcome!  I must agree with MM and praise your courteous introduction.  I look forward to hearing more about your views and interests. 

As a theist, you will be a minority voice here, but I suspect that you have some valuable insight.  If things get rough, or you feel like you are being ganged up on, feel free to post in the Shelter, which is sort of a safe area for theists.   

In terms of quotes, you ask a very interesting question.  I'm going to defer to the moderators here, but I think many of us here like to be able to check quotes and see their context, especially on controversial subjects.  Online sources are definitely easier to check.  But I can't imagine that we could exclude citations from "real books" that do not exist online. 

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 08:00:17 AM »
Goddamn breath of fresh air, you are. Lots of crazy folks lately. Hearty welcome.

You say you are a Canadian believer. Are you likewise a Belieber? How about a beleafer?

I am quite deluded in that I am a beleafer. But, a slight doubt tells me their play-off spot is a sign of the apocalypse.
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 04:53:09 PM »
Welcome!!

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 06:23:14 PM »
greetings fellow earthling

Best of luck holding that theist position. Just as a matter of interest, why are you here?
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +29/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 06:47:55 PM »
Literate, courteous and delusional.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 10:22:03 PM »
Hello and welcome.  :)
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Greenandwhite

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +5/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 01:07:36 AM »

Best of luck holding that theist position. Just as a matter of interest, why are you here?

Right now I am just looking for some non-sports related discussion. The friends that I hang out with right now are great if I want to talk about the PGA, NHL, NBA, CFL, etc..., but to find something different I thought that I would give an internet forum a try. I figured that if I joined a forum where most of the members disagreed with the basic tenents of my world view (e.g. a forum devoted to atheism) that it would be easier to find discussions. I didn't really have a specific reason for choosing this forum over any other atheist forums on the net except that it was recommended to me by an acquaintance of mine who is an atheist. I guess time will tell if my idea is a good one or not.

Offline Greenandwhite

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +5/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 01:13:46 AM »
Welcome to the forum, G&W. Feel free to quote anything you wish, just please provide the source (it doesn't have to be a link).

Pensacola must have been quite a switch from the Great White North, eh?

It would have been a very big change from the Great White North if I had travelled to Pensacola, Florida for school; unfortunately I did not.  Twice a year we received a semester's worth of classes on VHS which I then watched in lieu of a real classroom.  My little sister did the program ten years later and received much smaller packages since by then they had changed over to DVD's.  Not sure, but maybe today they can stream it live on-line - it would certainly save on some mailing costs.

Offline DumpsterFire

• Graduate
  • Darwins +61/-0
  • The Flaming Duck of Death!
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 03:10:10 AM »
It would have been a very big change from the Great White North if I had travelled to Pensacola, Florida for school; unfortunately I did not.  Twice a year we received a semester's worth of classes on VHS which I then watched in lieu of a real classroom.

I'm obviously unfamiliar with these BEKA video courses. The way it was worded I thought you'd gone to FL to study cinematography or something. :)
Providing rednecks with sunblock since 1996.

I once met a man who claimed to be a genius, then boasted that he was a member of "Mesa".

Think for yourself.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 06:55:26 PM »

Right now I am just looking for some non-sports related discussion. The friends that I hang out with right now are great if I want to talk about the PGA, NHL, NBA, CFL, etc..., but to find something different I thought that I would give an internet forum a try. I figured that if I joined a forum where most of the members disagreed with the basic tenents of my world view (e.g. a forum devoted to atheism) that it would be easier to find discussions. I didn't really have a specific reason for choosing this forum over any other atheist forums on the net except that it was recommended to me by an acquaintance of mine who is an atheist. I guess time will tell if my idea is a good one or not.
So, do you feel like Derrick Rose is a bum for sitting out of games, but practicing and being the best player on the court in practice?

Offline Greenandwhite

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +5/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 07:42:39 PM »
So, do you feel like Derrick Rose is a bum for sitting out of games, but practicing and being the best player on the court in practice?

To be honest, I haven't paid much attention to the Bulls this year.  One of my friends is a huge Lakers fan and since I like Steve Nash I have spent a fair bit of time watching their games.  In regards to Rose, I think it would depend on whether he is sitting out on doctor's orders or if it is his own decision and also on how much of a difference he would make were he to play.  Do you think the Bulls would be in the same class as the Spurs, Thunder, and Heat with Rose in the lineup? 

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 08:55:49 PM »

To be honest, I haven't paid much attention to the Bulls this year.  One of my friends is a huge Lakers fan and since I like Steve Nash I have spent a fair bit of time watching their games.  In regards to Rose, I think it would depend on whether he is sitting out on doctor's orders or if it is his own decision and also on how much of a difference he would make were he to play.  Do you think the Bulls would be in the same class as the Spurs, Thunder, and Heat with Rose in the lineup?
He's been cleared to play by docs for months and has been practicing full contact. The past two seasons with Rose, theyve had the best record in the league so I'd say yeah, title contenders with him.

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 03:27:21 AM »
  Today some of my biggest interests are watching sports, quality beer and cheese, and a good game of cribbage. 

Now, who, in his right mind, has an interest in watching quality beer?! ;)

Hi Greenandwhite and welcome to the decidedly non-sports related forum *cough*BretHart*cough*
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 07:47:57 AM »
Hey, how about that synchronized swimming?

And welcome.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 11:18:14 PM »
  Today some of my biggest interests are watching sports, quality beer and cheese, and a good game of cribbage. 

Now, who, in his right mind, has an interest in watching quality beer?! ;)

Hi Greenandwhite and welcome to the decidedly non-sports related forum *cough*BretHart*cough*
Ah the good ol days... Bret Hart...

Offline Petey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +11/-0
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 10:47:35 AM »

All noble pursuits, especially the beer.  Welcome!
He never pays attention, he always knows the answer, and he can never tell you how he knows. We can't keep thrashing him. He is a bad example to the other pupils. There's no educating a smart boy.
-– Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 01:59:20 PM »
Welcome!

Good to see a new face here. You seem like a friendly enough bloke, so hopefully you enjoy your stay here. Folks don't always pull their punches and I generally would recommend have thick skin and aren't offended by people attempting to rip apart your personal beliefs, it's how folks tend to operate, but rarely is it meant as anything personal, some may choose to use sarcasm, but people generally find insults to be unacceptable on both sides of the coin. But it is a good community and we've managed to get magicmiles addicted ;). The number of atheists does outweigh the theists, so if something's getting too much (like the number of questions/rebuttals thrown your way) you're welcome to request a bit of a slow down to catch up. People are usually happy to oblige. But everybody's different in how they approach the discussion, so are more firm and direct, whilst others are more laid back. There's also 'The Shelter', which is a good place for light discussion and there's less pressure. Don't forget to visit 'Chatter', it's a bit more social and is no doubt a good place to cool down as some discussions can get rather heated. Some theists don't seem to come join us in chatter, but it's a good place to discuss content unrelated to religion, perhaps reflect some of your other tastes...perhaps Hockey and Beer (I think there was a beer thread a lil while ago), I'm not a beer drinker, but my brother plays hockey (and supports Canadian teams).

Generally preaching and people who don't listen aren't particularly favoured, we like people who are able to back what they say and aren't here with the goal to change us, but here to bring substance to their arguments, have something to bring to them and walk out feeling having learned something and perhaps having taught something. I would say it's highly unlikely for either side to convert the other, but it has happened. For some this is a great support site, for others it's a hotbed for debate.

With making references, I've made references to specific books myself before now, so I don't see a problem with it personally. Normally I'll provide a link to the book on Amazon or anywhere else.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2013, 03:49:28 PM »

I haven't been round these parts a ton lately, but I like the cut of this guy's jib.  Im sure we all look forward to pressing that world view.  Remember, if we are insulting - we are talking about your beliefs, not you as a person.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2013, 11:29:09 PM »
Hello Greenandwhite.  Literate and sensible theists are definitely a class that are fine with me and you appear to be one of them.  Enjoy yourself here.
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.