Author Topic: Are Atheists Mentally Ill? A Harvard study may think so!  (Read 3637 times)

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Are Atheists Mentally Ill? A Harvard study may think so!
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2013, 01:49:56 PM »
Holybuckets, I'm really split here.  I can't tell whether you are being intentionally dishonest and antagonistic, or if your reading comprehension is really as limited as your posts seem to indicate.

Let's review here. 

Dr. Whitley is first and foremost, and advocate for people with mental illnesses.  He advocates for the RECOVERY model, which he explains in great detail in the video I posted.  He specializes in meeting the needs of patients who are members of marginalized communities, and he promotes what he calls a "consumer driven model" of mental health services. 

His primary work revolves around the recovery model.  He promotes governmental policies that support the recovery model.  He draws on his background in anthropology to create culturally sensitive service models designed to meet the needs of the mental health care consumers who are ethnically, culturally, religiously or economically marginalized. 

His primary work is not that of a diagnostician.  And he sure as hell is not writing articles labeling subsets of the population as mentally ill or attempting to posthumously diagnose mental illnesses in historical figures. 

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Are Atheists Mentally Ill? A Harvard study may think so!
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2013, 01:56:42 PM »
And Holybuckets, I KNOW you want to argue that atheists are mentally ill.  I know that is really what you want to do.  But your selection of Dr. Whitley just fails to do that. 

I actually sort of feel sorry for your in your quest, so I googeld "is atheism a mental illness" and got lots of links. 

Here is one that you will like.

http://atheismexposed.tripod.com/atheists_mentally_ill.htm

I hope this makes you feel better.  If not, you can google yourself.