Author Topic: Twenty questions for atheists  (Read 3457 times)

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
Re: Twenty questions for atheists
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2013, 12:21:06 PM »

They should of wrote a blog.

??
Bold mine.   
I find your superior tone ironic.   ;)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 12:26:39 PM by LoriPinkAngel »
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +55/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2013, 01:55:54 PM »

??
Bold mine.   
Then you clearly don't understand the terms being discussed. There was no superior tone.  Just a statement of fact.

Questioning somebodies grammar says more about you, than it does about me.
You have no idea whether my first language is English.  Whether I'm dyslexic. What my level of education is. Whether I have cerebral palsy. etc...

I find your superior tone inconceivable. 
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +709/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2013, 02:42:34 PM »
Please stop the off topic sniping. 

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +55/-8
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2013, 03:39:24 PM »
Please stop the off topic sniping. 

Your wish is my command.

Viocjit : Has all this been for nothing, are you going to explain why you asked these questions.
Or was it just a general inquiry.
If so let us know.
thank you.
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-6
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2013, 03:50:06 PM »

??
Bold mine.   
Then you clearly don't understand the terms being discussed. There was no superior tone.  Just a statement of fact.

Questioning somebodies grammar says more about you, than it does about me.
You have no idea whether my first language is English.  Whether I'm dyslexic. What my level of education is. Whether I have cerebral palsy. etc...

I find your superior tone inconceivable.

Sorry, I am anal about certain grammar things -- their, there, they're;  your, you're;  too, to, two; of, have...
I always see rants and diatribes (not that you were doing either) full of grammatical errors and I have a knee-jerk reaction to some triggers.  I often see people questioning or insulting other people's intelligence using bad grammar.  My all time favorite (and I'm not making this up) is "your not to brite".
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 04:06:44 PM by LoriPinkAngel »
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-6
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2013, 04:00:37 PM »

Viocjit : Has all this been for nothing, are you going to explain why you asked these questions.
Or was it just a general inquiry.
If so let us know.
thank you.

I have found everyone's responses to this poster's questions very interesting and quite revealing. 

Offline viocjit

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2013, 04:07:54 PM »
For those who would like why I asked these questions.

I asked these questions only to verify if things that I can hear all my life about atheists are true.

My conclusion is the next : I can hear a lot of stupidity because there are only stereotypes.
But certains things are true.

Offline Betelnut

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2013, 07:10:43 PM »

I asked these questions only to verify if things that I can hear all my life about atheists are true.

My conclusion is the next : I can hear a lot of stupidity because there are only stereotypes.

Huh?  What do you mean?  Your response doesn't make sense.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2013, 07:17:11 PM »
In a nutshell, I think viocjit was saying that he wanted to compare the things he has always heard about atheism with the actual experiences and ideas of atheists. He has concluded that some of the things he has heard appear to be correct, but other things have been said ignorantly based on incorrect stereotypes.

English is his second language.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +152/-4
  • Carbon-based life form.
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2013, 07:19:01 PM »
But he fails to expand on just what "certain things" are true.
God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2013, 07:21:43 PM »
Well, all in good time probably.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +131/-7
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2013, 07:27:34 PM »

It would be interesting to know which ones are and which ones are not.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +819/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2013, 07:30:32 PM »

It would be interesting to know which ones are and which ones are not.

Since each of who responded in detail did our best to provide our own truths, it would be more interesting to see what the OP thinks was untrue. Or at least more revealing.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline Timtheskeptic

• Reader
  • Darwins +20/-1
  • atheist and loving it
    • atheist blogspot
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2013, 07:51:01 PM »
1.Why are you atheist ?

I am an Atheist because after a long, hard research about religions and the Christianity I grew up with, I find the bible to make no sense, I find christians who speak for their God instead of allowing their God to speak for himself if he truly exists, and I have not been provided a shred of evidence for an existence of a God.

2.How are you became atheist ?

Do you mean, “How did you become an atheist?” I didn’t “become” an atheist, it’s not like I just turned around and said, “I now no longer believe!” I have taken a long, hard look at religion, their claims, and questioned everything and seek evidence to back their claims.

3.Where are you from ?

I am born in California, USA. I now reside in Washington State.

4.How old are you ?

Thirty, going on thirty-one in May 15.

5.Do you believe in the afterlife (some atheist than I know believe to the afterlife) ? If no , can you explain why ?

I do not believe there is an afterlife, as there is no evidence to support such claim. I do not pretend to know what happens after we die, other than our body decays.

6.Did you read all the Bible ? If you read all the bible what biblical canon (catholic , orthodox , protestant etc...) ?

Yes, it was the King James Version. I hadn’t read all other versions of the bible.

7.Did you read all the Quran ? (Yes I know that for Muslims if you read a translation you don't read the Koran).

No I have not read the Koran.

8.Did you read an other religious text ? If yes what is it or what are they ?

No I hadn’t read any other text.

9.What are yours hobbies ?

Reading books.

10.Can you define the goal of the life ?

To me, the goal in life is what an individual being decides to make of it. There is no supreme purpose or meaning or goal, it’s just your own personal goal in your own life.

11.Sometimes do you think ? I will go in Hell if god does exist.

That is more complicated than that. Which god would that be? Every religions have their own concept of eternal punishments. I do not know if I were going to be punished in some eternal punishment by some God because there just is no evidence for it.

12.Sometimes do you think that God does exist maybe ?

No. I think that all gods are manmade. If you look at the depictions of the gods of all religions, they are too alike of their followers like their appearance and their human traits such as jealousy and anger.

13.What do you think about people who believe in monotheistic religions ?

What is there to think of? I believe they have a right to believe in any god they like just as long as they don’t murder or violate people.

14.What do you think about people who believe in polytheistic religions ?

Same answer as #13.

15.What do you think about people who believe in a religion where there are not god(s) ?

Like Buddhism or Shintoism you mean? I think that is fine. But if you think Atheism is a religion, then baldness is a hair color.

16.Do you have an interest about philosophy to have answers about the life ? Can you explain why ?

I do love philosophical books, it’s rather intriguing what people say about things they say. I do not look to them as absolute answer to life, but information they offer for me to research on.

17.Do you fear to dead ? (I speak in a metaphysical context and about your friends , family etc...).

Do you mean to ask, “Do you fear death?” I do not fear death. I don’t fear it because it’s just the way life is, we’re all going to die eventually. What I rather be focusing on is living my life. If I were to die in few minutes or 50 years in the future, I don’t mind.

18.Do you like your life ? If you like your life , why do you like your life. If you don't like your life I would like to know the reason.

No I don’t like my life, but I do accept that I am a poor man with a pitiful job and struggling to stay alive and have some place to live. I am however not going to whine or demand that I deserve better. I’m going to work on improving my life. I can accept what I have, but it doesn’t mean I must like it. I didn’t like the horrible things I’ve seen in my life, I did not like the choices I’ve made, I was miserable, depressed and even suicidal.

19.Do you dream to live in a world where there are not place for the religions ? If yes or no explain please.

Dreaming dreams is nice, but the reality is what we have to accept today. I don’t deny that I’ve dreamed a world where there is no religion, but I don’t close my eyes to the reality.

20.Do you think that politic is like religion ? Explain why this is not equal or not.

Not really, politics is not the same as religion whereas religion is more of worshiping some deity or something like Buddhism.
Me:What are you looking at Eminem?
Brother: Nothing, Harry Potter.

I love to read books, just not your Bible. i support gay rights and women's rights. Why? Because i'm tired of the hate, stupidity, and your desire to control us all and make up lies.

Offline Timtheskeptic

• Reader
  • Darwins +20/-1
  • atheist and loving it
    • atheist blogspot
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2013, 08:02:26 PM »
Eh, questionaire at least shows he's interested in what we think and why. Whilst quite basic, at least it offers some information and a starting point. Rather than jumping in with basless assumptions as many prefer to do. I thought it was kinda refreshing to be asked what I think. ;)

Yeah, and I do love questionaires though, it gives me something to think and respond to. I am an "addict" to things like questionaires since I was younger. :angel:
Me:What are you looking at Eminem?
Brother: Nothing, Harry Potter.

I love to read books, just not your Bible. i support gay rights and women's rights. Why? Because i'm tired of the hate, stupidity, and your desire to control us all and make up lies.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-6
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2013, 08:07:55 PM »
There are false stereotypes and generalizations applied to both atheists and christians.  Unfortunately there are some of both groups who fit those stereotypes.  Some jerk wrote a letter to the editor of my newspaper which basically stated that atheists chose that path so they didn't have to follow any moral rules and could do whatever they want.  I wanted to post a copy of it to this forum to get some good responses but I couldn't figure out how.  I don't know whether OP is trying to learn about atheists or atheism.  I found about what I expected from any diverse group of people -- some responded with straight informative answers,  some funny, some pompous and sarcastic, some enlightening and educational,  but mostly attempting to give the OP what he was seeking.  Very bummed how many people way younger than I am think they're old.

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +55/-8
« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2013, 05:40:31 AM »
Your as old as you feel. Lori. As George Bernard Shaw said "Youth is wasted on the young."

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +709/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2013, 07:49:09 AM »
I like this thread.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2013, 08:12:47 AM »
1.Why are you atheist ?

Because I do not believe in the existence of any gods.

2.How are you became atheist ?

I was catholic up to about 17 ... I gradually stopped believing. I think I am naturally inclined towards scepticism. By 23 my faith was entirely gone. By 28 I had read so many refutations of religious arguments that I consolidated myself as a strong atheist. I am 33 now. I have heard every argument there is ... no religious claims have met their burden of proof. I simply cannot bring myself to believe those claims.

3.Where are you from ?

Born in Venezuela, of Mexican and Italian parents. Living in the UK now, about 19 miles from London.

4.How old are you ?

5.Do you believe in the afterlife (some atheist than I know believe to the afterlife) ? If no , can you explain why ?

The matter that comprises my body will disperse back into the universe after I die. All I am is the collection of matter and the particular arrangement it currently has. When this is no longer sustainable I will die. There is no 'after-life'.

6.Did you read all the Bible ? If you read all the bible what biblical canon (catholic , orthodox , protestant etc...) ?

Most of it.

7.Did you read all the Quran ? (Yes I know that for Muslims if you read a translation you don't read the Koran).

No.

8.Did you read an other religious text ? If yes what is it or what are they ?

No.

9.What are yours hobbies ?

I play guitar in a heavy metal band. I have a wife and daughter and I enjoy family activities with them.

10.Can you define the goal of the life ?

Most living organisms have two primary purposes ... to survive as long as possible and reproduce as much as possible.

However, as a human being living in a time where reproducing is optional and medical advances have extended our life spans ... the purpose of our lives is whatever we make of it.

I think a good way to summarize what I think should be the purpose of our lives is be to experience as much happiness as possible.

11.Sometimes do you think ? I will go in Hell if god does exist.

No. I do not believe in the existence of a god or a hell. So this does not concern me at all nor do I think about it. The only times I ever talk about it is when someone else brings it up.

12.Sometimes do you think that God does exist maybe ?

No. I do not believe a god exists at all.

13.What do you think about people who believe in monotheistic religions ?

Depends on the person. If their beliefs do not interfere with my life and does not cause them or anyone else any harm ... then I don't care. The minute their beliefs inform actions that have an negative impact on society then I have a problem with them.

14.What do you think about people who believe in polytheistic religions ?

Same as question 13.

15.What do you think about people who believe in a religion where there are not god(s) ?

Again, same as number 13... with the added point that I think any supernatural beliefs, with or without a god, are irrational.

16.Do you have an interest about philosophy to have answers about the life ? Can you explain why ?

Philosophy is sometimes very interesting and entertaining, but to be frank all I care about are the facts that science can tell us.

17.Do you fear to dead ? (I speak in a metaphysical context and about your friends , family etc...).

I have a fear of dying, which is natural.... but I do not fear death itself. When I am dead, it will be the same as before I was born. I will not exist.

18.Do you like your life ? If you like your life , why do you like your life. If you don't like your life I would like to know the reason.

I do like my life. I love my wife and daughter, I like my job, I love my music and I enjoy life as much as possible. Sure, there are moments that suck and sometimes I have problems that make life less enjoyable... but overall I do like my life.

19.Do you dream to live in a world where there are not place for the religions ? If yes or no explain please.

I would prefer if nobody believed in anything supernatural and instead replaced that with a passion for science. However, I would settle for the religious being peaceful and not imposing stupid bronze age ideas or harming society in the way many of them are doing now.

20.Do you think that politic is like religion ? Explain why this is not equal or not.

Kind of... it doesn't necessarily make 'supernatural' claims all the time but it pushes ideologies that are not always for the benefit of the majority.
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline viocjit

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2013, 08:36:03 AM »
In a nutshell, I think viocjit was saying that he wanted to compare the things he has always heard about atheism with the actual experiences and ideas of atheists. He has concluded that some of the things he has heard appear to be correct, but other things have been said ignorantly based on incorrect stereotypes.

English is his second language.

That is exact , magicmiles had really understood.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +198/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2013, 10:07:30 AM »

You asked the questions, and we answered. You can draw whatever conclusions you want to from that - I haven't yet mastered the mind control technique needed to make you believe that we are the best-est folks ever  ;D.

I want to caution you just a tiny bit though. You would do well to remember that we, here, are not necessarily a comprehensive cross-section of atheism. You're taking a poll of sorts from a group of people that identify as atheists, yes, but we're also atheists who are computer literate, are inclined to post in discussion forums, and one of the forums happens to be directly about the topic of atheism.

There are a lot of other atheists who do not do any of these things, and may give you a very different perception of what atheists are like. It might be fair to say that you've now got a sampling of what some atheists who are somewhat open about it have to say about how we arrived at our position - but I would be hesitant to consider that representative of atheists in general. We're not an ideal control group, as we aren't a random sampling - we're atheists who virtually mingle in a specific virtual location.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-6
« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2013, 10:53:07 AM »
You would do well to remember that we, here, are not necessarily a comprehensive cross-section of atheism. You're taking a poll of sorts from a group of people that identify as atheists, yes, but we're also atheists who are computer literate, are inclined to post in discussion forums, and one of the forums happens to be directly about the topic of atheism.

There are a lot of other atheists who do not do any of these things, and may give you a very different perception of what atheists are like. It might be fair to say that you've now got a sampling of what some atheists who are somewhat open about it have to say about how we arrived at our position - but I would be hesitant to consider that representative of atheists in general. We're not an ideal control group, as we aren't a random sampling - we're atheists who virtually mingle in a specific virtual location.

There is actually is pretty decent variety on this forum if you eliminate the similarities of computer literacy and forum visitation.  There is a wide age range.  There are representatives from across the globe.  There are numerous professions.  There are gays, bis and straights and I believe at least one member of this forum identified as transgender.  The personalities which are presented on the forum run the gamut from kind and likable to belligerent and annoying and many points in between.  So while this is in no way a random sample I think it is a pretty good representation.

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +152/-4
  • Carbon-based life form.
« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2013, 10:57:38 AM »
viocjit, it might be good to keep in mind that atheism isn't really an "ism" at all.  The word means nothing more than not having belief in god or gods.  Beyond that, any two atheists may have nothing (or plenty) in common.
God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +198/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2013, 11:21:57 AM »
You would do well to remember that we, here, are not necessarily a comprehensive cross-section of atheism. You're taking a poll of sorts from a group of people that identify as atheists, yes, but we're also atheists who are computer literate, are inclined to post in discussion forums, and one of the forums happens to be directly about the topic of atheism.

There is actually is pretty decent variety on this forum if you eliminate the similarities of computer literacy and forum visitation.  There is a wide age range.  There are representatives from across the globe.  There are numerous professions.  There are gays, bis and straights and I believe at least one member of this forum identified as transgender.  The personalities which are presented on the forum run the gamut from kind and likable to belligerent and annoying and many points in between.  So while this is in no way a random sample I think it is a pretty good representation.

A statistician I know IRL says that the thing to remember about polls is that the respondents share a common trait that's completely independent of the question being asked - they are people who are willing to answer poll questions posed by strangers. It made me giggle a bit the first time he said it, but it does have an effect. I know lots of non-believers who don't necessarily identify as atheists, or even agnostics, as it's just not that important to them. Our very presence here indicates that we may see it as more important than others with the same basic lack of belief about god. We're a great sample of what we are for all the reasons you said, we just might not be quite as great at representing atheism in general, simply because we're vocal about it and interested in discussing it.

The internet provides a level of anonymity that real life doesn't. I wouldn't have participated in this IRL (I would have thought it was extremely invasive), but Jag the internet forum member doesn't mind. That in itself may influence the results. voicjit asked the questions he wanted answers to, I just don't think anyone else should read too much into this single example, voicjit included.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline viocjit

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2013, 01:53:29 PM »
I can say that I know that there are many forms of Atheism because Atheism is the fact than those people don't believe in deities.
The children believe in Santa Klaus (The majority) but they are different.
My example is maybe stupid like you say that : Atheism is not a belief.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +301/-32
« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2013, 01:55:46 PM »
Sounds about right.  Atheism, like you say, is pretty trivial.  It says little about us.  And like others have pointed out, this forum isn't nearly as diverse a population of atheists as exists out in the world.

"Theism" is similarly diverse - it doesn't say much about a person to just say they believe in a deity!
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.