Author Topic: Twenty questions for atheists  (Read 3014 times)

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
Re: Twenty questions for atheists
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2013, 03:05:16 AM »
7.Did you read all the Quran ? None of it.

You should read the Quran. Then you would be imbued with that comfortable sense that 2 billion people believe in something which is obviously just made up. It helps develop your sense of outsider muscles.

I'm a Christian in Australia. Those muscles are just fine.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 03:07:40 AM by magicmiles »
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2013, 04:19:34 AM »
Magicmiles: you have question ten back to front, you should always put you wife and children first, If not then it is dangerous for your family to be anywhere near you.

We once had someone say the very same and he was willing to kill his family on the order of god/jesus.

Your priorities are completely wrong.
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2013, 04:41:34 AM »
They're in no danger Bert. Thanks for your concern.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline grant

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2013, 06:05:47 AM »
They most certainly are if you put god above them.

Or do you recognise that no situation would ever need you to make the choice?
What if the hokey pokey is what its all about?

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2013, 06:09:55 AM »
1.Why are you atheist ?
No proof whatsoever for any of the thousands of gods
2.How are you became atheist ?
Gruadual process starting at the age of 5. I was raised catholic, mind, and that's a fairly easy one to spot the insanity.
3.Where are you from ?
Belgium, near Mechelen/Malines
4.How old are you ?
too (38)
5.Do you believe in the afterlife (some atheist than I know believe to the afterlife) ? If no , can you explain why ?
Nope, everything we know about human personality is that it's linked to the brain, when the brain dies, the person dies. The End.
6.Did you read all the Bible ? If you read all the bible what biblical canon (catholic , orthodox , protestant etc...) ?
No, only bits and pieces
7.Did you read all the Quran ? (Yes I know that for Muslims if you read a translation you don't read the Koran).
I know the Quran says that it should only be read in Arab ... which is just one of the umpteen ad hoc rationalizations Muhammed pulled out of his ass when cornered. So, regardsless of what Muslims say, yes, I've read the Quran, cover to cover, in perfectly clear Dutch.
8.Did you read an other religious text ? If yes what is it or what are they ?
The Iliad
9.What are yours hobbies ?
Reading, scifi, fantasy and science mostly. Computer games, strategy, footy, management. Writing, when I get the time. Metal ... lots and lots of Metal \m/
10.Can you define the goal of the life ?
To do right by my kids and give them every opportunity. (If you'd asked me this 10 years ago, the answer would have been different
11.Sometimes do you think ? I will go in Hell if god does exist.
As a phylosophical contemplation, yes. I'm sure that I've done wrong in the hypothetical eyes of quite a fow of the thousands of gods postulated and if any of them are real (and if they have a hell to go to) sure, I'm headed there ... good thing they're not real. ;)
12.Sometimes do you think that God does exist maybe ?
Sure, it's entirely possible that some sort of god shows him/her/itself today ... so far however, no proof whatsoever.
13.What do you think about people who believe in monotheistic religions ?
The vast majority can't help that they believe what they believe. It was spoonfed to them as a child and they never thought about it. As a group ... some are ok, some are utterly insane monsters ... but then again, the same can be said for just about any group of people. Except maybe lawyers ... those are ALL utterly insane monsters ;)
14.What do you think about people who believe in polytheistic religions ?
Same as above, the details of the fairy tale they believe don't matter.
15.What do you think about people who believe in a religion where there are not god(s) ?
Again, the details don't matter, they still believe stuff that's divorced from reality.
16.Do you have an interest about philosophy to have answers about the life ? Can you explain why ?
42, the answer to life, the universe and everything. In truth, the meaning of life is different for every person, or indeed, every living organism. So, Douglas Adams' view is as valid as that of some prince who sat under a tree for a month or whatever. So, no, I'm not overly concerned with anyone else's views.
17.Do you fear to dead ? (I speak in a metaphysical context and about your friends , family etc...).
Yes, or to put it another way, I like being alive and would prefer to stay so for quite a few decades yet.
18.Do you like your life ? If you like your life , why do you like your life. If you don't like your life I would like to know the reason.
Have had a bit of a string of bad luck of late, so things could be better, still, they could be vastly worse, so all in all, I like my life, yes.
Why do I like it, I'm reasonably comfy and have awesome kids ... they're a bit of a recurring theme, what.

19.Do you dream to live in a world where there are not place for the religions ? If yes or no explain please.
Hell no! The way you word it, it would mean a world where religion is forbidden. People can believe whatever they damn well please, as far as I'm concerned, it's when they start basing their actions on the insane shit that I have an issue with them.
20.Do you think that politic is like religion ? Explain why this is not equal or not.
There are similarities, people will often stick to their political leaning despite everything. And when someone switches allegiance a lot of the same vocabulary is used. Though people will more readily change politics than religion. 
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2013, 06:22:41 AM »

I certainly can't imagine one.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2013, 07:40:18 AM »
1.Why are you atheist ?

Well, I was raised in a secular humanist family.  Throughout my adulthood, I studied and flirted with a variety of belief systems.  But when I became a mom, I realized that I really needed to raise my daughter in an environment of rational thought, and strong secular values, and so I returned to claiming the atheist identity.  I don't think I was ever really not an atheist, but I sort of abandoned the title and the self-identity. My daughter has several peers who are being raised in secular households, and I think it is important for her to understand that "some people believe xyz" but we believe in the process of scientific discovery. 

More importantly, perhaps, is teaching my daughter that some people are "good" because they are afraid that they will be punished by their god (or their parents, or whatever) if they are not.  We are "good" because we value life.  There is no afterlife.  This is not a rehearsal for an afterlife.  This is it!  Life is beautiful and precious. We empathize with people in different situations, and we strive to "make the world a better place" by treating people, and the planet and all living things with conscious respect. We aim to reduce suffering when we can, to use only what we need, and to share comfort and joy and resources with others. 

See above.

3.Where are you from ?

NYC, USA

4.How old are you ?

Old enough to consider that a rude question.  

5.Do you believe in the afterlife (some atheist than I know believe to the afterlife) ? If no , can you explain why ?

An afterlife?  No.  Not in the traditional sense. But I find great comfort thinking about the cycles of life, and the fact that the atoms that comprise my body, and everything around me, have existed and will exist in many different forms.  Long after our sun dies its natural death, long after our galaxy completes its collision course with our neighboring galaxy, a part of what makes up "me" will continue to exist, in forms and places and realities that I cannot even begin to imagine.  I get all gushy every time I hear Neil Degrasse Tyson do his "the universe is in us" monologue.   

6.Did you read all the Bible ? If you read all the bible what biblical canon (catholic , orthodox , protestant etc...) ?

Many years ago I spent a week in a hammock on an idyllic Mexican beach, drinking beers and reading the Bible. But I do not pretend to know the scriptures as well as many members here. 

7.Did you read all the Quran ? (Yes I know that for Muslims if you read a translation you don't read the Koran).

I’ve read large parts of it.  English translation.  Other than the fact that the translation is stilted, and not as poetic as English translations of the various scriptures, I find it to be rather indistinguishable from the Old Testament.  More details about Noah, more rules about how to treat guests and visitors, more rules about lines of inheritance.  But pretty much the same stuff.   

Oh my yes.  My daughter is ethnically Mayan, and I’m a fan of the Popul Vuh, which contains the Mayan creation stories.  I’ve tried some of the Hindu stuff, and quite frankly, my poor western mind can’t wrap around the “therefores.”  Also, never really managed to “get” Buddhism.  Really liked a lot of the earth-based paganism, in which the equinoxes and the solstices and the crosspoints between them are the holidays to celebrate.  And of course the Roman and Greek creation stories. 

Oh my.  Pre-parenthood, I liked to shoot pool, SCUBA dive, travel, camp, and unbeknownst to most of my friends, I was in fact, a middle aged lady gamer.

These days my hobbies include playdates with 6 year olds, museum trips, zoo trips, preparation for attending ballet and piano recitals, chess tournaments, and whatever activities my daughter is drawn to at the moment.  An evening in a restaurant with other adults, and the opportunity to drink a cocktail while children entertain themselves doing art work is my big special treat.  And then I come to forums for a little adult conversation. 

Goal?  There are as many goals as there are individuals.  For most of humanity, the goals involve finding food and clean water, keeping children healthy and safe.  For those of us who have the luxury of literacy, an abundance of food, and the wildly extravagant luxury of “free time” to think and learn and question, the goals become more complex.  I guess for me, my personal goal is to strive for a world in which more of us enjoy the luxuries of literacy and free time and safety. 

Absolutely not. 

I cannot say with absolute certainty that there was not some force (or even consciousness) that created or manipulated life or even the universe as we know it.  There is so much that we do not know.  But I can say with absolute certainty that the god of monotheism does not exist. 

Of course, we are left with the question, if something created us, what created the creator?

What do I think about them?  I don’t know.  I like most monotheists just fine. People who hear their god’s voices, or feel the need to push their interpretation of their god on my or other people scare me and piss me off. 

Again, not really sure how to answer this question.  I really like most people.  I believe that most people strive to live good lives, and I like polytheists just fine. 

15.What do you think about people who believe in a religion where there are not god(s) ?
Same as previous two answers. 

16.Do you have an interest about philosophy to have answers about the life ? Can you explain why ?

I am interested in various branches of philosophy, including ethics and logic.  Asking "why" is something we should never stop doing.

17.Do you fear to dead ? (I speak in a metaphysical context and about your friends , family etc...).
I don’t so much fear it.  I do kind of dread it.  In the way I dreaded bedtime as a kid.  I love life, and there is so much to do and see and learn, and I will be sad when I approach the end.  I mourn the death of my loved ones because I miss them, and because I know that they also loved life, and had so much more that they could have contributed if they had lived longer. 

18.Do you like your life ? If you like your life , why do you like your life. If you don't like your life I would like to know the reason.
I love life!  All life is precious, and I am fortunate to have been born into a time and place in which I enjoy privileges that most of humanity has not enjoyed.  I strive to not squander the random privileges of my birth, and to help others achieve safety and comfort and happiness too. 

19.Do you dream to live in a world where there are not place for the religions ? If yes or no explain please.
Oh, it will be many many generations before religions disappear, and I will not see that world in my lifetime.  And I suspect it will just happen organically with time.  I am more concerned about striving for a world with just distribution of food and resources, and a world in which we do not abuse this beautiful planet.  I dream of a world in which people have access to what they NEED, and the leisure time to think about what they want to envision for the future generations. 

20.Do you think that politic is like religion ? Explain why this is not equal or not.
I fear dogmas that lead to wars and power struggles and xenophobia.  I dislike hierarchical systems in which small minorities vie for power and exploit the masses in their own self-interest.  Both politics and religion share these characteristics. 

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2013, 08:12:27 AM »
I just wanted to add that my daughter has already been told by her first grade peers that you can't be a "good person" if you don't believe in god.  That is simply absurd.  I want my daughter to be "good" not because she fears punishment, but because she empathizes with other people, and because she understands the consequences of her actions. 

Sometimes, making the "right decision" is easy.  Share.  Include the kid who is being left out. Always think about how your actions will impact on other people.  Don't litter, even if no one is looking, because the garbage will either stay there, or someone else will have to pick it up. 

Sometimes, making the "right decision" is hard.  Sometimes there is not an easy answer.  The world is not black and white.  I'm actually really surprised by how many ethical choices a six year old needs to make in a given week.  Do I tell on the kid who did something mean to somebody else?  Do I tell a white lie to protect myself or somebody else?  Do I pursue my passions, or abandon them briefly to help someone in need?  And I am THRILLED that she brings home so many ethical dilemmas to dissect.  Kids want to do the right thing.  They really do.  But if they are not given the tools as children to make ethical decisions, then they will not become ethical adults.   

And the questions will only get more complex as she grows up.  Do I side with the factory, that employs so many members of the community, and provides products that we all enjoy?  Or do I side with the environmentalists, who are concerned about the impact of the pollution?  Do I support freedom of expression, even when the exercise of that freedom causes others pain, and possibly danger?  Am I willing to ask others to make sacrifices that will benefit me and a subset of society to which I belong, possibly at the expense of others? 

I don't want to prescribe answers for my daughter.  I want her to learn how to make her own decisions.  Religion does not provide a framework for the complexities.  It just doesn't.   

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2013, 08:57:07 AM »
^^ Atheist Experience touched on the subject, briefly in a recent episode, don't recall which one, sorry.

My daughter used to come at me with biblical/religious gotchas[1] until she realized that a) I could answer all of them and b) I'd always end with "but what do YOU think".

She has since realized that religion makes perfect sense ... until you actually think about it.
 1. we're an 'unequally yoked' family ;)
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2013, 09:56:39 AM »
1.Why are you atheist ?

[snip]

OK viocjit, time for you to answer your own questions.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Petey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +11/-0
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2013, 10:43:31 AM »
1.Why are you atheist ?
Because I'm not a theist.

Learned to think critically.

3.Where are you from ?
Iowa.

4.How old are you ?

No.  Haven't seen any evidence for it.

Yes, NIV.

About 1/3 of it, couldn't stand all the repetition.

Tao Te Ching

Gaming, grilling, and beer.

Yes, but only for myself.

For a while after my deconversion, but not anymore.

Nope.

A variety of things, but mostly pity.

Same as monotheists.

Depends on many factors, from what the religion teaches, to how seriously the believer takes it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_WRFJwGsbY

In a physical context, yes.  Metaphysical, no.

Yes, because it's better than the alternative.

Yes.  I would love to see religious instruction replaced with quality education.

In a sense of putting dogma ahead of research and thinking, yes.
He never pays attention, he always knows the answer, and he can never tell you how he knows. We can't keep thrashing him. He is a bad example to the other pupils. There's no educating a smart boy.
-– Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-8
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2013, 12:00:17 PM »
As Grant said there most certainly is, if you put an invisible imaginary concept above your loved ones. It is a very dangerous situation for them to be in. You are like an explosion waiting to go off. You don't deserve the family you have, if you put god before family.
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-8
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2013, 12:08:06 PM »

I certainly can't imagine one.
I can, If you believed that God/Jesus stood in front of you and expressed there/his wish was that you killed your children, just like Jepthath's You would do it, so as not to incur god's wrath. Your family should always come first.

It always worries me when theists put god before family, they are clearly disconnected from reality.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 12:10:19 PM by bertatberts »

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +146/-2
  • Carbon-based life form.
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2013, 12:14:18 PM »
Hey, it's what the celestial dictator demands.
God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +127/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2013, 07:00:09 PM »
Another Christian responds...

1.Why are you atheist ?   n/a

2.How are you became atheist ?  n/a

3.Where are you from ?  Nebraska, Germany, South Carolina, New York  (places I lived 2 years or longer)

4.How old are you ?  too close to 50

5.Do you believe in the afterlife (some atheist than I know believe to the afterlife) ? If no , can you explain why ?  yes

6.Did you read all the Bible ? If you read all the bible what biblical canon (catholic , orthodox , protestant etc...) ?  yes, several versions-
   Amplified, NIV, Today's English, King James, New King James, The Message, I also try to read in French and Spanish

7.Did you read all the Quran ? (Yes I know that for Muslims if you read a translation you don't read the Koran).  only small translated
   bits               

8.Did you read an other religious text ? If yes what is it or what are they ?  Tao Te Ching, other Bhuddist texts and Hindu texts

9.What are yours hobbies ? music, reading

10.Can you define the goal of the life ? use the talents and skills I have to help others

11.Sometimes do you think ? I will go in Hell if god does exist. no

12.Sometimes do you think that God does exist maybe ?  Sometimes I question his existance

3.What do you think about people who believe in monotheistic religions ?  It depends on the individual

14.What do you think about people who believe in polytheistic religions ? see #13

15.What do you think about people who believe in a religion where there are not god(s) ?  see # 13

16.Do you have an interest about philosophy to have answers about the life ? Can you explain why ?  No, I don't think there is one
      answer that covers the meaning of life.

17.Do you fear to dead ? (I speak in a metaphysical context and about your friends , family etc...).  No.

No, I have a chronic, painful illness.

19.Do you dream to live in a world where there are not place for the religions ? If yes or no explain please.  No, I dream of a world
     where there are no teabaggers.

20.Do you think that politic is like religion ? Explain why this is not equal or not.  It is similar in that the douchebags make everyone
      look bad.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +771/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2013, 09:29:44 PM »
1.Why are you atheist ?

Because there are no gods. Made up stuff isn't relevant.

Assuming you mean how old was I, 10 or 11.

3.Where are you from ?

Born and raised in Oregon, USA. Currently living in Montana, USA

4.How old are you ?

Almost 62. For awhile earlier this year I thought I was 63. I keep getting ahead of myself.

Don't think so. No reason to think that there is one, but if there is, it has nothing to do with any human-defined gods.

Nope. I've read parts of it. I always end up needing a pain pill because I end up spending so much time shaking my head in disbelief.

Nope, none at all, other than the occasional quote I run across. No interest. I wasn't born in the middle east, hence it wasn't a local phenomena, and I've had no reason to follow it. Knowing more about the religion if/when they kill me for not being them won't help me any, so I won't bother.

I've read a variety of mythologies over the years. None of the other ones are true either.

Building stuff, computers, hiking, wishing I was 25 again.

Procreate probably. Do something to help life along.

Not seriously. And if there is a god that allows an actual hell, he isn't someone I could worship anyway, so if that is the case, I'm sunk either way.

Nope. A real god would be more competent at getting out his story, more involved where involvement made sense, less dependent on old stories, more concerned about clarifying misinformation and less needy in the idolization department.

That their thoughts of religion are silly.

That their thoughts about religion are two or more times sillier.

Slightly more tolerable. I'm not in the mood to be that introspectful, so I can't figure out why others are. But at least most of them don't bother learning to fly.

Life has no answers. Imagining it does and dwelling on it can be a bit off-putting. We are biological mechanisms that happen to be slightly more self-aware then worms, and hence we sometimes imagine that our importance, both as individuals and as a species, is higher than it really is. But let me repeat that. There is no meaning to life. Luckily, most of us can find ways to enjoy things anyway. At least I can. As long as I'm not being burned at the stake by others who think they have all the answers. That can be off-putting too.

Do I fear death? It isn't on my to-do list, even though it will happen. I don't think that I do. But I haven't come that close to biting the big one lately. The one time I thought I was going to die I was not afraid. I was concerned about what my death would do to others, or how it would cause them to feel. Stuff like that. But the fact that my concerns about others were caused by my thinking I was a goner didn't scare me at all. I hate inconveniencing others.

If you are asking if I fear that others will die or if I fear dead people, I don't like that my loved ones will die (or already have). But I have no control over such things, assuming I am not holding a smoking gun. Do I fear dead people? Nope. They seem harmless enough.

Well, I do wish we got to live twice. So that we could learn all the things a person needs to know the first time around to do is better the second time. But what I want has nothing to do with reality, so I guess I'm out of luck. In the meantime, I'm glad I was me instead of some stranger. That would have been awkward.

I could have done better. I could have done worse. But I'm pretty sure most everyone can say that.

It would have been nice, unless religions were outlawed. I'm not that oppressive a person. I would rather that people came to the conclusion that there are no gods on their own. Otherwise being an atheist has no value.

No, politics is like nothing else. The way it is practiced in the west. Where right and wrong are of little importance if you can get the votes. There is less morality in politics than in most religions. Politics is an effort to find a workaround to morality. It would be unfair to compare the two except in the case of extreme religious beliefs (Westboro Baptist Church, radical muslims, stuff like that.)

P.S. If I were religious, I would be thanking god right now for giving us keyboard shortcut software that lets me do quote stuff like I did in the above answer much easier. If I didn't have that, I wouldn't have bothered answering your long post.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +146/-2
  • Carbon-based life form.
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2013, 10:14:55 PM »
When are we going to hear from the O/P (voicjit)?
God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +275/-31
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2013, 11:05:10 PM »
I can, If you believed that God/Jesus stood in front of you and expressed there/his wish was that you killed your children, just like Jepthath's You would do it, so as not to incur god's wrath. Your family should always come first.

Bert, it's only a danger if he's right about his god existing.  Otherwise, there's no such risk.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2013, 11:35:37 PM »
As Grant said there most certainly is, if you put an invisible imaginary concept above your loved ones. It is a very dangerous situation for them to be in. You are like an explosion waiting to go off. You don't deserve the family you have, if you put god before family.

Whatever. I really don't think the purpose of this thread was debate.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline dloubet

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
    • Denisloubet.com
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2013, 11:44:28 PM »
Azdgari wrote:
Bert, it's only a danger if he's right about his god existing.  Otherwise, there's no such risk.

But if it's just voices in his head, they could demand anything at any time!
Denis Loubet

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2013, 02:40:09 AM »
1.Why are you atheist ?
Because every god or gods or goddess I have investigated has had no evidence behind them.  Same reason I don't believe in Santa, really - no evidence.

3.Where are you from ?

UK
4.How old are you ?

Oh, 40-mumble years old.

Nope.  See question 1.

Yep.  Couple times.  "I'm not an atheist because I haven't read the Bible, I'm an atheist because I have"

Not all the way through yet.

Egyptian Book of the Dead, Norse mythology, NAtive American mythology, several more that I can't be bothered to list.

THE life?  Nope.  Different for everyone.

Nope.  If I said to you "believe in Odin, or you will go to the Norse hell", would you worry for even one second?

Nope.  See question 1.

I think they are, in general, the result of indoctrination during childhood and an unability/unwillingness to examine the evidence for their god, to critique their god in the same way they would any OTHER god.

Again, the "Meaning of Life" is different for everyone.

I fear dying.  I do not fear death.  I am somewhat annoyed that there will be so many things happening after my death that I will not get to see.

Yup.  Things are pretty good, thanks.  Some things could be better, but things could be a whole lot worse.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-8
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2013, 03:58:17 AM »

No wrong he only has to have belief that it does. I know and you know god doesn't exist.
Do I need to show some links, where people of "Faith" have killed their family member because of there said fantasy.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 04:01:40 AM by bertatberts »

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-8
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2013, 03:59:45 AM »

Whatever. I really don't think the purpose of this thread was debate.
The purpose of all forums and threads is debate.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 04:02:06 AM by bertatberts »

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +376/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2013, 08:31:21 AM »
I'm guessing that there is a moderator for an "I Love Kitty Cats" forum out there somewhere that would disagree with you.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-8
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2013, 09:04:30 AM »
I'm guessing that there is a moderator for an "I Love Kitty Cats" forum out there somewhere that would disagree with you.
Then it would be clear, that they don't understand what the term "Forum" actually means.

They should of wrote a blog.

Forum - a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged: OED.

http://www.i-love-cats.com/forums/
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 09:11:05 AM by bertatberts »

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2013, 09:31:29 AM »
1.Why are you atheist ?.....(etc)

Viocjit, have the answers helped you at all?  Was there anything in particular that you found epecially useful, or that you want to ask more about?
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +678/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2013, 09:31:47 AM »
1.Why are you atheist ?

god is not a plausible idea and I have found no evidence to suggest any gods exist.

I had questions about god and I read the bible.  I found it to be nothing more than the mythology of a primitive people.

3.Where are you from ?

USA

5.Do you believe in the afterlife? If no , can you explain why ?

No.  I have no evidence it exists.

6.Did you read all the Bible ??

No. all of the OT and about 1/4 of the NT.  The NT is boring and pointless if the OT is a fraud.  And the OT is a fraud, so I found little value in reading the NT.

7.Did you read all the Quran ?
No.  Small parts only.

Upanishads. Vedas.  Bhagavad Gita. Tao Te Ching. Various Buddhist texts.

Cooking.  Gaming.  Arguing with idiots on the internet.

there is no goal of life.

No.  Nor do I think "I will be killed if vampires exist."  Nor do I think "I will get no toys if Santa exists."

No.

I sometimes think they are idiots.  When I am feeling more compassionate, I think they have fallen victim to a common, socially transferrable, mental virus.

Same as above

technically, that is not a religion.

not any more. 

17.Do you fear to dead ?

I do not want to die, but I am less afraid of it than I was when I was a xian.

yes, but I wish there were fewer religious people and fewer stupid people.

yes.  religion cannot exist without magical thinking.  and magical thinking is dangerous.  I would like it if there was no more magical thinking.

they are alike in that decisions are not made rationally. 
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +376/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2013, 09:36:37 AM »
Then it would be clear, that they don't understand what the term "Forum" actually means.

Forum - a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged: OED.

Fair enough.  If we're taking the hard-lined semantic approach, then I take issue with your use of the words 'thread' and 'debate'.  Message threads have no purpose beyond organization of potentially inter-related messages.  A debate requires opposing viewpoints; a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue being exchanged does not necessarily entail any opposition.

Honestly I don't actually take any issue beyond semantics with you - and even then it's kind of a 'meh' situation.  I see no problem with debates breaking out in this forum, and I see no problem with someone not wanting to debate some topics in a given thread on this forum.  I really just wanted an excuse to type "I Love Kitty Cats".

In any case this line of conversation is highly derailing to this thread.  My apologies to all.  Back to your regularly scheduled program.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-8
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2013, 11:19:05 AM »

A debate requires opposing viewpoints; a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue being exchanged does not necessarily entail any opposition.
Fair point but neither does a debate, not in the strictest sense. After all they do class them as formal.

I really just wanted an excuse to type "I Love Kitty Cats".
As do I.