Author Topic: Twenty questions for atheists  (Read 3015 times)

Offline viocjit

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Twenty questions for atheists
« on: May 03, 2013, 12:19:19 PM »
1.Why are you atheist ?

2.How are you became atheist ?

3.Where are you from ?

4.How old are you ?

5.Do you believe in the afterlife (some atheist than I know believe to the afterlife) ? If no , can you explain why ?

6.Did you read all the Bible ? If you read all the bible what biblical canon (catholic , orthodox , protestant etc...) ?

7.Did you read all the Quran ? (Yes I know that for Muslims if you read a translation you don't read the Koran).

8.Did you read an other religious text ? If yes what is it or what are they ?

9.What are yours hobbies ?

10.Can you define the goal of the life ?

11.Sometimes do you think ? I will go in Hell if god does exist.

12.Sometimes do you think that God does exist maybe ?

13.What do you think about people who believe in monotheistic religions ?

14.What do you think about people who believe in polytheistic religions ?

15.What do you think about people who believe in a religion where there are not god(s) ?

16.Do you have an interest about philosophy to have answers about the life ? Can you explain why ?

17.Do you fear to dead ? (I speak in a metaphysical context and about your friends , family etc...).

18.Do you like your life ? If you like your life , why do you like your life. If you don't like your life I would like to know the reason.

19.Do you dream to live in a world where there are not place for the religions ? If yes or no explain please.

20.Do you think that politic is like religion ? Explain why this is not equal or not.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
Re: Twenty questions for atheists
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 01:09:01 PM »
1.Why are you atheist ?

This has a long answer. But I will give the short version. I see no evidence to suggest that any deities exist.

I became an atheist when I was quite young. To be honest, I wasn't a very strong Christian, I believed in it because I was told it was true. When I questioned it, I found some strange things. I was probably 9 or 10 when I questioned it. I didn't take the label 'atheist' until about age 12 or 13...simply because I didn't know the term. I went through a period of strong dislike for Christianity. Interestingly, the definition I use for 'atheism' is the one a Christian taught me, my form tutor at school was a strong Christian, but he was very open and very good about his beliefs. He was one Christian who kinda led me to think, "well, maybe I'm being a bit hard on Christians", but I really thought Christians were screwed up. It had me looking at things from the other side. Probably about age 14 I was a lot more tolerant.

3.Where are you from ?

A town just outside of Cambridge in the UK.

4.How old are you ?

24 at the end of this month.

5.Do you believe in the afterlife (some atheist than I know believe to the afterlife) ? If no , can you explain why ?

No. For the same reason I listed for being an atheist, there's not enough evidence to support it. However, there was a time when I was an atheist and believed in the afterlife, I believed in some form of reincarnation, but since then I realised that my belief was baseless.

6.Did you read all the Bible ? If you read all the bible what biblical canon (catholic , orthodox , protestant etc...) ?

No. I have read a lot of what's in the bible. Often I will also rely on what different Christians claim. Normally I will look through Bibles like the Kings James Version, but if need be, I will look at multiple translations. There's also things I was taught as kid growing up about the bible from Christians and as part of a curriculum.

7.Did you read all the Quran ? (Yes I know that for Muslims if you read a translation you don't read the Koran).

No. In fact, I know very little of the Quran. I don't get in many discussions about Islam, nor is it something I've grown up with, so I've had very little reason to.

Yes. The Dhammapada, one of the Buddhists texts. I've got it on my shelf.

Writing, reading, programming, 3D art, Karate (though I haven't done it for a while), cycling, listening to metal and going to metal concerts & festivals, heck I go to a festival every year.

The goal of anybody's life is defined by the individual and it is subject to change. Well, I guess those who aren't free don't define their goals, but rather have them defined by others.

No. People have told me that I will, but I don't think it's worth thinking about. There's too many possibilities for what supposedly 'happens' after death, that Judeo-Christian ideas don't worry me, sure they are ripe within the society I grew up in, but I discarded such thoughts when I stopped believing, perhaps not straight away, but then of course there is that transition period.

I accept the possibility, simply because I do not rule out any possibilities, no matter how remote. It doesn't mean I give them credibility. I feel that the probability for the existen of God, with all the assumptions required for His existence, I would suggest the probability is so low, that I don't think it's worth me considering that perhaps he exists. For me, it suggests the alternative is more likely. Some versions of God being less likely than others. As far as I am concerned, God is equal to any fictional character, except He's got a large number of people who believe in his existence. So, one might ask, "why do you accept the possibility of the existence of God, but not Spongebob" to which I respond, "I accept the possibility of the existence of Spongebob, because I am unable to falsify the claim, however, based on what I understand of the world and of Spongebob, it's highly unlikely he exists". If he either are shown to exist, of course, it will be a huge shock on my understanding of reality. I don't mean to highlight Spongebob as mockery, but it should give an idea of how fictional any deities are to me.

Depends on the person. I don't like to generalise about people, everybody is their own person. On the basis of monotheism itself? I just think they're welcome to it, I think what they believe is baseless, but 'monotheism' on its own, it doesn't bother me.

I feel no different about polytheists than I do about monotheists.

15.What do you think about people who believe in a religion where there are not god(s) ?

Like Buddhism? Depends on the person and their beliefs. For example not all Buddhists are peace loving and gentle. Whilst I am non-religious, I am in fact a philosophical Buddhist, hence I've got a copy of the Dammapada on my shelf. Not all types of Buddhis, require a deity and not all forms require religious belief. I am sure there are other atheistic religions, however, I am not familiar with others. I'll consider the individuals and the beliefs they follow. I accept it's possible to be religious and an atheist.

16.Do you have an interest about philosophy to have answers about the life ? Can you explain why ?

I don't seek philosophy for answers in life, perhaps I once did, but I find the arguments interesting and I do relate to some philosophy, I find it as a topic to be interesting, hence I studied it for my A-Levels and as a topic it's great with critical thinking skills. There's something I agree with, some I don't, but I think it's healthy to learn what others think and and under other thought processes and arguments for logic.

17.Do you fear to dead ? (I speak in a metaphysical context and about your friends , family etc...).

I don't actively fear death, but if placed in a life threatening situation, including with my friends and family, then I do fear it. I don't want to lose my life, I like living and I also love my friends and family and would never want to lose them. But I also accept it's a natural part of life, it's horrible, but with loss, I cope by having fond memories of the person I've lost.

18.Do you like your life ? If you like your life , why do you like your life. If you don't like your life I would like to know the reason.

Yes and no. There's many aspects I like, I enjoy my hobbies, I enjoy being with the people I care about and there have been many great experiences I've had living and I know I will go onto experience more. The aspects I don't like, I don't like the fact my friends live 2 hours away, I don't like my job and I don't like that life can throw you some downers and there's sometimes shit you have to deal with. I don't like many aspects of the reality we live in, some of the harsh cruelties, whilst I don't really experience them first hand. The issues with my life, they're always something to improve upon and things that can be changed.

19.Do you dream to live in a world where there are not place for the religions ? If yes or no explain please.

No. I would much rather live in a world without cruelty. I see religion being responsible for a lot of cruelty, but there are many decent religious folks and many who do work towards something good. To be honest, I would much rather ally with good people and hate the bad things in the world than to think of religion as some kind of evil corrupt force that must be eradicated. I think eradicating religion may help with some problems, but on the whole, I don't think it'll do much good.

20.Do you think that politic is like religion ? Explain why this is not equal or not.

To a degree. It's often a controversial topic and political and religious leaders use their idealistic views in attempt to control the masses, some may act for the masses. There are those with great speeches and those who lie and bullshit from their teeth and hypocrites. But this is looking at organised religion and politics. Religion and politics as subject, no, I would say they're different. Religion is about a super natural higher order governing the universe, whereas politics is about governing a society. At least with government, you know leaders exist and they can be replaced if they aren't doing right by the masses.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 01:41:01 PM »
Welcome to the forum, viocjit. Hope you're not a driveby and will actually engage in some discussion here.

1.Why are you atheist ?

Finally realized there was no real evidence for the Christian god or any god.

A gradual process. I was a Christian for 15 years, but was always uneasy about the inconsistencies of my professed religion. Finally I realized that if that god did not exist and was made up like any other myth by ignorant or power-hungry people, things made a lot more sense.

3.Where are you from ?

Central coast of California, USA. Yourself? I get the impression English is not your native language (much better than my Spanish, though  :laugh:).

4.How old are you ?

50, going on 51.

No. No more evidence for that than any other aspect of the "supernatural", which is to say: none.

Read the entire thing twice while a Christian, have reread favorite bits since then (selected Psalms, 1st Corinthians, Ecclesiastes).

Just a few translated passages.

Again, a few translated passages of the Hindu Upanishads. That's it, really.

Poetry, writing in general, surfing, hiking, roleplaying, gardening.

If you mean the goal of living things, then the general goal is: survive to perpetuate oneself. Human goals vary from individual to individual.

Since I'm confident that no god or afterlife conceived by humans exists, I'm also unafraid of Hell. That was one of the great benefits of becoming an atheist and I highly recommend it.

I'm an agnostic atheist; I can't absolutely rule out that some god might exist somewhere and reveal itself to me in the future. But given every known religion's failure to provide actual evidence for their deity or deities throughout recorded history, it seems very unlikely.

I think they're irrational. That in itself isn't a bad thing; I'm pretty irrational myself much of the time. And I understand the comfort that religious belief can bring.

Buddhism is the only example of this I know. I find many aspects of that faith admirable, just as I find some aspects of Christianity admirable. The doctrines of reincarnation and karma are pretty silly, though. No more evidence for that than there is of Christianity's Original Sin.

Obviously, since I frequent this forum. And believe it or not, we atheists debate such things among ourselves all the time. I'm curious about different approaches to life because I recognize my great ignorance about the world, and try to correct that. I don't always like the answers, but that's the nature of learning if we're honest with ourselves.

I'm well into middle age and have realized that another 20-30 years (unless I'm run over by some texting idiot in a Prius later today) isn't forever. Yes, I don't relish the thought of dying. But I accept that it will, and have seen how the legacies of others that have died continue after their deaths.

What's not to like about it? I have resources sufficient for me and my cat, I live in a peaceful community, I have no major health issues (carrying a bit excess weight, but working on that), my close friends and family are all prospering and reasonably happy.

My ideal would not be a world where religion has no place, but stays the fuck out of politics. Here in the US, it's an ongoing struggle to keep our society and government free of religious doctrine.

Sure, politics can be like religion: both easily lead to rigid hierarchies and mindsets that can do a lot of damage to society.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Morgan

• Student
  • Darwins +10/-0
  • Every night I wait for my sweet Selene...
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 02:26:27 PM »
BM

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 02:34:30 PM »
Well, this is as good a way to ignore homework a little longer as any I guess. I'll play.
1.Why are you atheist ?
I'm a former theist, raised in a catholic family. I saw some contradictory things when I was in my early teens that made me question that faith, but it was many years later before I realized that I don't actually believe in god(s) at all. I'm highly inquisitive by nature, and I just can't find a compelling argument for much of anything in existence that requires a god to exist. I don't have all the answers, but I find the ones provided by science to be far more believable, reasonable, and rational.

I didn't become one (we don't recruit for goodness sakes), I realized that I am one, by definition. If one does not believe in the existence of a supernatural being, one is an atheist. It's not an alternative to or for religion, it's a lack of belief in a god.

3.Where are you from ?
I've lived in Minnesota since I was 2. I'm still a bit resentful about being brought here against my will as a baby; I'm not a fan of snow, but my life is here now, long snowy winters and all.

4.How old are you ?

Sort of, but probably not the way you mean. This is really abstract, so no worries if it sounds a bit loony. I don't believe in reincarnation, but I'm not convinced that the ... energy, for lack of a better word, that powers my psyche will cease to exist after my body expires. Sort of like the idea that all matter in existence has always existed. Matter changes form but doesn't disappear, or quit being. Wow, I'm not saying this very well... NdeGT talks about how all of us are created from stardust, and the Catholic Ash Wednesday ritual states "remember man that you are dust, and unto dust you shall return" - both of these say the same thing to me. The body disappears, but the essence continues. Now that I've just gone deeply into "woo", I should make very clear - I don't believe that humans retain any awareness or sense of self post-death. If what makes us human is anything beyond the electrical impulses that drive our brains, that whatever-it-is simply returns to the stars. And it's really just a pretty thought, I'm deep into speculation here.

Not in one go, no. I think I've read the whole thing in pieces though, if you allow for skimming some of the really dragged out parts. Catholic version

Never have, no. I'm somewhat familiar with the general beliefs, but certainly not to the degree that I am with Christianity

Hmm, that depends. I've read some Buddist and Hindu writings, and I've read some apologetics, though not many. I'm more interested in philosophical discussion that religious ones, but there can be a lot of overlap.

Full-time college student so my hobbies have taken a back seat lately. I love to cook, I read a lot and about a wide variety of topics, I genuinely enjoy learning new things (ideally with practical application), I sew. I spend time with my friends, often at a bar over beer, I passenger on the back of my BF's motorcycle, and watch a little tv/movies/documentaries. I'm highly impatient for spring to arrive for real - I'll move my homework and most of my life outside as soon as it finally gets here.

I'll take a stab at this, because I'm not sure what you mean. If you're asking "what is the meaning of life?", my answer is "to live it", it has no purpose aside from to be lived. Since I don't believe in a creator god, it follows that I also don't believe in a divine plan. The only meaning is that given by each individual to it's own existence. What one chooses to do with it is it's purpose. Liberating and scary at the same time, huh? And please note that I did not say anything whatsoever about morals - that is a completely different question that I'm not addressing at the moment.

Weirdly enough, that very thought is the one I had the hardest time letting go of, not because it was so frightening, but because it was so deeply embedded in my consciousness. I had a very hard time admitting to myself that I didn't believe in God, because I was screwed if I was wrong. This next part is important to understand though - I already didn't believe in God, and I knew that I didn't believe. That's why I was screwed - if I was wrong, God would know that I had not believed in his existence until I had already died and was then burning in hell. Once I finally figured out just how f'ed up that circular logic loop really was, I was finally able to just shrug it off. There's literally nothing I can do about it in any case so why bother worrying about it? I can't decide to believe in something. Gods, unicorns, fairies, Bigfoot - I don't believe in any of them. Same goes for Thor, Zeus, Aphrodite, Loki, or the Aztec one with the really complicated name.

I used to, but not for a really long time now. I can sort of get behind the idea of a deist sort of entity - I'm comfortably with the position that if there is a creator entity of some sort, it's been otherwise occupied since the Big Bang. I think it's unlikely, but I can accept the possibility easily enough. I don't in any way believe in the modern interpretation of bible god, I don't at all think anything in the bible is literal truth (and never have), and the OT god is out of the question.

They are at least in part the product of their environment. All other things held equal, if you had been raised in the Middle East, you would almost certainly be a Muslim. If you were Indian, you would likely be Hindu. Culture plays a very big role in guiding one's religious beliefs.

Mostly the same thing as above

That they are perhaps wiser than most of us. I also tend to view non-god religions as philosophies, rather than religions. That may just be me.

I enjoy philosophical discussions, and I read some. I prefer discussion, as the subjects can get very abstract and it helps me think it through more easily if there is an opportunity for exchange and clarification. I don't necessarily look to this for "answers" the way I think you mean though. What I find is that it allows me to understand why I believe the things I do, and to see if those beliefs make sense if I take the time to examine them. I enjoy making sense of my own mind, and thankfully I can laugh at myself when I find an absurdity in my head. It happens a bit more often than I'd like to admit.

Unsure of your meaning - three choices: am I afraid of dying? Am I afraid of my loved ones dying? Am I afraid of dead people? I apologize, but I'm not sure which, if any, is correct.

If you are asking if I'm satisfied yet, then no. I've returned to college to correct that. If you are asking if I'm happy with my life in a general sense, then yes, very much so. I have a boyfriend of many years and we are quite content, my kids are both in their 20's and living independently and doing very well with work and school; my oldest just became a first time daddy in January, so there's a new baby in the family too. Everyone I love is healthy and getting by, so I really have nothing to complain about.

No. I do dream of a world in which religion and politics are not intertwined. I don't have any problem with theists in general, I have problems with their intrusion into politics, particularly when they push an oppressive agenda.

You're going to have to be much more specific in order to answer that.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 02:36:10 PM »
1.Why are you atheist ?

3.Where are you from ?

4.How old are you ?

Wow, it would take entirely too long to give a good answer to all 20.  So, we will see how this goes.

1. I am an atheist because I do not find the arguments for the existence of god compelling.  There is exceedingly little evidence that suggests that there is any deity out there guiding the progress of the universe.  Further, I find the need for "faith" to be the biggest cop-out in the history of humankind.  I do not believe that an all knowing, all powerful, omnipresent being would create us with the ability to use logic and reason, to seek evidence and determine validity - and then make us in such a way that we cannot comprehend his existence.  It is a foolish notion.

2. I was a Christian for most of my life.  There were always things I found "off" about religion generally and Christianity specifically.  One day it clicked - that I had believed a lie.  My deconversion started in church actually.  A few months of thought and reading later it was clear that I no longer believed.

3. United States. Ohio.
4. 33
5. No.  I think we did not exist prior to our birth.  At death we return to that state of non-existence.

6. All? No.  Ive read relatively large chunks of it though.  NIV - protestant mostly
7. No
8. Relgious text? No.  Other religious books? yes
9. Gaming, hanging with my dogs, reading.
10. I do not believe life has an end goal.  We exist.  The goals we set in life are our own.

11. I do not think hell or any afterlife exists.  I believe that the doctrine of hell is an evil invention of man to try to force belief though fear.  It is rather effective on a lot of people.  I do sometimes fear that I am wrong and will go to hell.  Not often, but the irrational fear does sometimes creep into my thoughts.
12. God may exist, but I have not seen sufficient evidence to make me believe that.  I could be wrong, I just dont think I am.
13 and 14. They have an irrational belief system.  I dont condemn others for their belief, I only have a problem with their beliefs effect others negatively.
15. Honestly? I think whats the point?  A religion without gods just seems odd to me, like they are wasting their time.

16. I think philosophy has given most of what it can to society.
17. I do not want to die.  Most humans have a fear of the unknown.  I work off the assumption that I will resume the state of being that I was in before I was born - that is to say nonexistence.
18. Life is good.  Everyone has their problems, I am no different, but overall things are good.
19. Yes.  As stated above if people stopped hurting others in the name of their religion, or would stop telling people that "god doesn't like x,y,z" then fine.  Barring a complete change in human behavior however - a world with no religion sounds pretty good.
20. Similar in that it sometimes forces an "us vs. them" dichotomy.  Different because politicians actually exist, and politics actually have an impact on the people.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 02:40:59 PM by Garja »
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 02:46:58 PM »
I'm only going to answer a few questions; the ones I think of as more relevant and the ones I understand.

1.Why are you atheist ?

Because my definition of "god" cannot exist. Ergo, I can state with absolute certainty that there are no gods (by my definition of the word, which is the only one that matters to me).

No. Like gods, there is simply no evidence for an afterlife.

No and no. I see no reason to either.

No.

Only life forms can give their own lives meaning; there is no absolute meaning of life.

Sometimes. But I still think that outcome is more preferable than bowing down to an imperfect being.

Sometimes. Then I remember that there are no gods.

I think that they're idiots, but not necessarily evil or unworthy of respect and/or love. My first (and so far only) boyfriend was a theist, for one, yet I still loved him.

I don't consider those religions; merely philosophies. That said, I think they're a bit silly, but I can understand their attraction to their philosophies.

I assume this means "Do you fear death?". The short answer is no. I see death as the ultimate fate of all things in the entire multiverse; something to be admired, respected and embraced, not feared.

There are some aspects of my life I'm not happy about, but there are other things I do like about my life.

My dreams don't involve religion in the usual sense of the word.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 02:55:09 PM by One Above All »
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Energized

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +29/-1
  • Enma Ai is GOD!
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 03:49:35 PM »
1.Why are you atheist ?
Because there is no evidence of the supernatural.

See here. http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,21283.msg473414.html#msg473414

3.Where are you from ?
Canada

4.How old are you ?

No. If there’s no evidence of the supernatural, there’s no reason to believe there will be an afterlife.

Yes – I have read the bible cover to cover a few times. I have also read the non-canonized books as well as whatever information has been made available regarding the “suspect” books (Gospel of Adam, Gospel of Judas, etc…)

No.

Book of Mormon.

Knitting, music, and hanging with my wife and kids.

My goal is to live a comfortable life and help out my fellow man.

No.

No. Given the evidence that points to no supernatural, why would I care about something that keeps itself hidden so well? I mean, I don’t think about Himalayan yaks either….

Believe what you want. But don’t cram it down my throat, don’t ask for special treatment because of it, and don’t trample on my rights not to believe it.

See above.

?

No. Why does it need “answers”? Please define what you mean.

Of course. I will miss my family and friends. I won’t be there to see how their lives turned out after I died.

Absolutely. My life is what I made of it and I am satisfied with  it. I have a nice house, my cars are paid for, my kids do well in school and I love my wife and family more than anything in this world. I would like to lose a little weight and I wish my hair wasn't so gray at 43, but overall I am pleased.

Yes – I would love to live in a world where religion doesn’t define a culture or how it should behave. I'd love to open a paper and not read stories about how religious extremists are blowing people up. I would love to walk downtown and not see street preachers telling people they're going to hell.

Sadly, even if religion were wiped off the map (or never existed) some asshat somewhere would ruin it based on ideology.

I wish we could pass a law that states "don't be an asshole" and enforce it.

I don’t understand what you’re asking.

E.
'O pitiful shadow lost in the darkness,
Bringing torment and pain to others.
O damned soul wallowing in your sin.
Perhaps it is time to die?'

~Enma Ai, Jigoku Shoujo

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 04:18:49 PM »
Another questionnaire. Idiots.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 04:25:12 PM »
^^^Meh, it beats showing up in full blown rant, telling us we're all bound for hellfire and damnation. No one is being forced to participate, but when I noticed that you had posted in this topic, I was actually hoping to get a bit better acquainted with you. You're a bit of an enigma.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 04:28:34 PM »
^^^Meh, it beats showing up in full blown rant, telling us we're all bound for hellfire and damnation. No one is being forced to participate, but when I noticed that you had posted in this topic, I was actually hoping to get a bit better acquainted with you. You're a bit of an enigma.

No I'm not. I'm quite predictable.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 05:13:57 PM »
Predictable, yes, but less shallow than your posts sometimes indicate.

I'm bracing myself for the sharp side of your tongue any day now, quite honestly. Your delivery tends to be somewhat...abrupt. You're very intelligent, but I sometimes have to work out your position on things - you don't generally give much context. You clearly state what you think, but not always why. I'm usually more interested in why, so to me, you're a bit of a mystery. And interesting because of it.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 05:16:17 PM »
Eh, questionaire at least shows he's interested in what we think and why. Whilst quite basic, at least it offers some information and a starting point. Rather than jumping in with basless assumptions as many prefer to do. I thought it was kinda refreshing to be asked what I think. ;)
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Hierophant

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 05:38:03 PM »
Why are you atheist ?
Because I was born that way, just like everyone else. I just didn't get religion hammered in my head by my parents or school. I'm a native atheist.

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 06:12:41 PM »
1.Why are you atheist ?
Technically you could say I am. However atheism is something you are from a theistic perspective.  The word only says what you're not, and that is  the term "theist" is not applicable to you. There has never been any evidence of god/gods to justify belief in them.

Quote from: viocjit
I was born that way, the same as everybody else.

3.Where are you from ?
Not relevant, to atheism. However if you must know Alpha Centauri, alternatively you could check my summary. but it's still not relevant.

4.How old are you ?
Again not relevant, in regard to atheism.

I'm an Aafterlifeist

Yes, and studied several different language version for comparison including Latin.

Yes, and studied an Arabic version for comparison.

Yes, the Vedas.

Not relevant to atheism.

Demonstrate there is a goal?

Never!

Don't know, there could be a god hidden under a rock somewhere in the universe, I have no way of checking. So the only honest answer is I don't know. 
I feel sorry for them, living the life's with blinkers on. I wonder why they cling to a belief they have no evidence for.

Exactly the same as monotheistic believers.

I feel sorry for anybody that follows a doctrine, that has no evidence in reality. Because people try to enforce there doctrine onto others.

Only to the extent that you are debating god which is a philosophical debate, but sadly philosophy can never find a truth it can only have an opinion.

No, but I do fear dying,  death by definition is the end of existence so I would not be able to experience fear. Were you fearful of the time before you were born?

Yes, I have a very good life, I have a wonderful family and friends and I spend my time helping others what could be better.

It would be preferable as there has never been anything like religion that is more pernicious and evil.

Republicanism, Democratism, Communism, Fascism, are all related ideologies to religion, some however are more pernicious and evil then others. 
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline Betelnut

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 06:16:09 PM »
1. Why are you atheist ?
I realized at a young age that god-belief was nonsense.  Both of my parents are atheists but they never tried to influence their children too much one way or another except we didn’t go to church and we watched a lot of science documentaries, had a lot of discussions about science and, generally, were raised to be bullshit detectors.  My middle sister is a theist (of the “God is love” Christianity).  My other sister is atheist also.

Born and raised, I guess but also because I was raised to think for myself.  I never learned to believe in gods at my mother’s knee so to speak.

3.Where are you from ?
Native born Texan.

4.How old are you ?

5.Do you believe in the afterlife (some atheist than I know believe to the afterlife) ? If no , can you explain why ?  No, it is not logical.  “Life after death” is an oxymoron of the highest order.  Nature doesn’t work that way.  We are born to reproduce and die.  We are biological beasts.

6.Did you read all the Bible ? If you read all the bible what biblical canon (catholic , orthodox , protestant etc...) ?  No.  I’ve tried, I’ve tried, but no.  It is just too, too tedious.

7.Did you read all the Quran ? (Yes I know that for Muslims if you read a translation you don't read the Koran). No.

No.

Reading, playing music, raising my child, travel.

Um.  Not really.  For me, the goal is to enjoy it as fully as I can.  I am lucky as in I am able to do this—I was born to educated people in the US where, as a female, I was allowed to become educated and to have a career.  For a lot of people, if not most, life is sheer hell on Earth.

I will say that one thing that I think makes life worth living is art, literature, and appreciation of nature and the good in other people.  Reading a great book, seeing an amazing movie or play, looking at a painting by Van Gogh; these are the things that give me pleasure and make me think that mankind isn't all bad.

No.  I am positive that there is no hell or gods.  I never worry about my afterlife—just what will happen to my child if I were to die before she is an adult (I might be 51 but I adopted a little girl at age 45).  I worry about her life if I were to die.  Plus, hell is on Earth for many people.

No.  Never.  It is not logical, there is no evidence, and science has done a good job explaining most of the mysteries that spawned the creation of religions in the first place.

I know most of them are logical in every other aspect of their lives except in this one.  I find it incredible that so many people still believe in this bullshit.  It is truly mind boggling to me.  I don’t think they are stupid as I know a lot of lovely, even intelligent, people who are theists.  I feel that they must have major cognitive dissonance and chose to not examine their beliefs about god in any logical way.  Wishful thinking on their parts mostly.

Same as 13

I don’t know how that is possible. I attend a Unitarian Universalist church which a lot of people would say fits into the category that you mention.  But UU’s don’t “believe in a religion.”  There is not doctrine/dogma and, basically, it is a group of people that form a community around thinking about the big issues and trying to figure out life.  Some UUs are theists but a lot aren’t.

Sure.  At my age, I feel like I’ve figured out how I think/feel about life but I am always willing to learn more.  That’s one reason I go the UU church. 

17.Do you fear to dead ? (I speak in a metaphysical context and about your friends , family etc...).  I fear dying in a painful and scary way such as by being murdered, in a plane crash, etc.  That is, I fear the fear that I will have.  I don’t fear BEING dead since it will be like not being born.  I do worry about my child and how she would react to me not being around if I were to die before she is an adult which isn’t for another 20 years or so.

I like most aspects of my life.  I have issues with my weight and I wish I was better with handling money and I wish the US wasn’t so fucked up politically, but, in general, I’m satisfied and I know how lucky I am to have a great job, a kid and brains.

That would be awesome but nothing that I can make happen.  Religion and superstitious belief in general is dangerous and, to be blunt, ignorant.  I wish we could eradicate it.  It would be very nice to not have to see commercials for “The Long Island Medium” or “Ghost Chasers” for one thing!

Uh?  No.  Politics is not a system of belief—it is more the way people behave.  Any time you have a group of people together trying to work together to get something done, you have politics.  My library has politics out the wazoo because there are different groups of people with differing concerns. 
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 06:19:47 PM by Betelnut »

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 06:22:17 PM »
Eh, questionaire at least shows he's interested in what we think and why. Whilst quite basic, at least it offers some information and a starting point. Rather than jumping in with basless assumptions as many prefer to do. I thought it was kinda refreshing to be asked what I think. ;)

It'd be better if they came in and answered the same questions they pose to us. Other than that, it just seems like they're doing an assignment for some class, whether the class is real or just in their mind.

-Nam

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 06:27:37 PM »
1.Why are you atheist ?

> Its the default setting and I see no evidence that supports theism

> I started using my brain on my observations, using logic/reason, and paying attention to science

3.Where are you from ?

>Chicago

4.How old are you ?

>31 years or 25 lol

> No. because there is no evidence for it

> Yes. Protestant... KJV and NIV

> Ive read a little as I have several muslim friends

>Greek mythology and other myths... a little of everything

> Stand up comedy, sports (especially High School Football), music, food...

> I can only determine my OWN goal in life as there is no overall goal or purpose for life other than what we give it

> No. Until some evidence surfaces for the "god" and his "hell" I laugh at the notion

> Nope.

> Theyre not thinking things through. I also dont think the vast majority are believers based on their actions

> to vague, too many different ones to generalize

>depends on what they believe

> I dont think there are philosophical answers to life. I prefer sociology, politics, psychology, etc

> I dont want to die, but I dont fear it... perhaps how itll happen

> Love it.

> As long as they try to intervene in peoples lives that dont believe I wish theyd disappear

> Somewhat, but not completely. Politics still tends to deal in a set of information. Religion doesnt.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 06:54:08 PM »
20 questions?  Can you narrow it down to 3 or less.  I've got a short attention span. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 07:47:37 PM »

1.Why are you atheist ? I was born an atheist

2.How are you became atheist ? I was born an atheist

3.Where are you from ? UK

4.How old are you ? over 60

5.Do you believe in the afterlife (some atheist than I know believe to the afterlife) ? If no , can you explain why ? When you are dead, you are dead, and that is it - how is it possible to "live" after death. How many dead people have spoken to you who have told you what it's like to be dead?

6.Did you read all the Bible ? If you read all the bible what biblical canon (catholic , orthodox , protestant etc...) ?Yes, but I skipped the genealogies

7.Did you read all the Quran ? (Yes I know that for Muslims if you read a translation you don't read the Koran).I tried but it is garbage and unreadable

8.Did you read an other religious text ? If yes what is it or what are they ? Hundreds of myths from other religions - usually in the form of folk tales and fairy stories.

10.Can you define the goal of the life ? To reproduce - just like every other living thing on the planet

11.Sometimes do you think ? I will go in Hell if god does exist. No, never, I don't believe in fairy-tales. And if you are worried, you won't go to hell either.

12.Sometimes do you think that God does exist maybe ? No, it is impossible

13.What do you think about people who believe in monotheistic religions ? Unintelligent

14.What do you think about people who believe in polytheistic religions ? Unintelligent

15.What do you think about people who believe in a religion where there are not god(s) ? What???!!!

16.Do you have an interest about philosophy to have answers about the life ? Can you explain why ? I have no real interest in them, they are all wrong and lies told by fools to greater fools.
17.Do you fear to dead ? (I speak in a metaphysical context and about your friends , family etc...). I will be disappointed that I did not live longer but then, we all will be.

18.Do you like your life ? If you like your life , why do you like your life. If you don't like your life I would like to know the reason. It's OK

19.Do you dream to live in a world where there are not place for the religions ? If yes or no explain please. No, there will always be gullible idiots roaming the planet - I can do nothing about it, though I try.

20.Do you think that politic is like religion ? Explain why this is not equal or not. Yes, it is a power game - politicians say they will make you life better now, priests say they will make you life better when you die.

Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline sun_king

• Graduate
  • Darwins +25/-0
  • We see things not as they are, but as we are
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 10:17:39 PM »
1.Why are you atheist ?
Yet to see evidence of Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva et. al

Old school logical thinking, which allows me to think of a possibility that none of the gods in the thousands of religions need to exist for this world to function.

3.Where are you from ?

4.How old are you ?

Nopes. It's that evidence thingy. I don't think electrical fuses, light bulbs and brake pads have an afterlife either.

Unfortunately yes. Several variants, in two different languages. The Skeptic's Annotated Bible was the best among them.

Partially. I have no intention to learn Arabic, I just can't figure myself reading from right to left.

All of the Hindu texts, courtesy of me being born as a Hindu.

Reading, sketching, RTS games, driving.

For me it will be to live a good life.

No. If I do, I have lied about question #1& #2, right? Nice try

I retract the "Nice Try" from question #11.

Whatever floats their boats...

Do you know what a gross ignoramus is? 144 times worse than an ordinary ignoramus, numbers make it funny.

They could do just the same or better if they didn't believe at all.

Nopes, I don't worry about it at all. I live quite happily without knowing the "answer", I'd settle for more practical stuff, like knowing why the bread falls with the butter side down.

Fear of death? No, though I am hoping I would live another 20 more years.

Yes I do. I have almost everything that would make me happy and contend. I am terribly unhappy about the life in other parts of the world, too much suffering and cruelty

I dream to live in a world where there are only non violent religions. Note: It is redundant to instruct "If yes or No explain", just "explain" would suffice in most cases.

No. Politics is about control and who will control. In religion, the religion is already in control and they just find ways to stay in control.

I hope you would have the courtesy to put in a summary about your assessment of our answers.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2013, 12:34:14 AM »
1.Why are you atheist ?
I've never seen any convincing evidence, and the powers given to gods don't match up with reality as I know it.

I've never had a deep and unshakable belief in any deity from any religious tradition, and although I was nominally Christian (christened at age of 3 months) I lived in a non-churchgoing household where no one really talked about religion.

3.Where are you from ?
Canada.

4.How old are you ?
55 years old.

No, I do not believe in the afterlife.  I believe that our minds are wholly dependent upon our physical brains, and that there is no "soul" that persists after the death of the body.

I've skimmed the whole thing (initially an illustrated Bible, then the King James version, then a Catholic Bible) and know all the major stories, but have never read the whole thing from start to finish.

I've glanced at a few suras but not read any of them in their entirety.

Poetic Edda (primary Ásatrú text) in its entirety; some of the Bhagavad Gita; most of the  Enûma Eliš; Dhammapada, Prajna Paramita Hridaya Sutra and Daodejing in their entirety; and sections of the Lotus Sutra and assorted other Buddhist writings.

Music, writing, art, gardening and meadmaking.

Entirely subjective and personal.  My goal is to create things and attempt to experience life with as much focus and attention as possible.

Not worried about this. If gods do exist, I trust that they wouldn't be that evil as to create such a place.

I think it's a possibility, but a very remote possibility, and that there's no way to determine accurately if something really is a god.

Seems like a boring and overly controlling way to live.

By and large I think polytheists are a lot more fun and open-minded than monotheists, and I think they have far better stories about their gods.

I think of those more as philosophies than religions.  I don't think religious ceremonies are necessary to practice these philosophies, and that they often get in the way.

I used to be interested in philosophy but I really don't need "answers" because I'm busy with life itself.

The idea of dying is unpleasant, but the idea of being dead doesn't have much emotional impact on me at all.    I've lost family members, and once the initial shock is over I find it relatively easy to let go.

I like My life very much, particularly when I'm rehearsing, performing or listening to music, or when I'm writing a story or essay, and frequently at work.  Anything that focuses My attention and causes the rest of the world to fade into the background I find worthwhile and exciting.

I'm not that interested in removing all religion from the world, because a great deal of the world's culture has religious elements (for example, the work of J.S. Bach or Michelangelo).  I would like to see church profits taxed, and I would like there to be a minimum age for church attendance (at least in the teenage years).  I also think it's a complete waste of time to try to eliminate religions, because people will just invent new ones.

There is a similarity.  Any large religious organization will tend to have levels of internal government arranged in a hierarchy, and a political party generally has an established set of socioeconomic principles which is its "bible."
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Jontom10

• Graduate
  • Darwins +14/-0
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2013, 06:42:55 AM »
1.Why are you atheist ?

Like every human on the planet I was born an atheist. I was not indoctrinated as a child and as I am capable of reason I cannot see any reason to believe in a God nor can I see any reason why anyone else still believes other than brainwashing and ignorance.

The correct question would be "If not always an atheist, how did you become an atheist".

I will always remain atheist.

3.Where are you from ?

England

4.How old are you ?

It has been 44 years since I was born. But the material I am made up off is essentially 14.2 billion years+ old.

No. Why? Because there isn't one. There is no evidence of one. The whole idea of one is utterly stupid and is only believed in by people who are brainwashed and ignorant.

I have read the King James bible. Well 80% of it. So much of person begets person etc. I tend to use references if I need to flick through now.

I have read a lot of bits of it. Hard work and utter drivel.

All sorts. I have read on a lot of various religions and cults as I find the frailty of the human mind and its inability to prevent mental damage like religion interesting.

When not entertaining my daughter and girlfriend I spend most of my time reading, socialising with friends or playing games.

To exist. The only purpose of life is to procreate and exist. Unless you realise that the ONLY reason you are here on this planet is to procreate then life can seem very confusing. You grow up, become a functioning member of the community. Meet a partner, create children and then raise those children to take their place within the community to begin the cycle again. The purpose of life is to live. As sentient beings we can also have some fun and games on the way.

Which Hell or which God ? If we assume the biblical God Yahweh (which is just a very minor god of war from the original Babylonian pantheon of gods) then I won't go to Hell as I live my life as a good person. I have certainly met some seriously nasty downright evil christians who are 100% sure they are going to Heaven.

No.

They are idiots

They are idiots

Wouldn't be a religion then would it? This would be more like a cult and they are all fkin idiots.

Yes. Because I am a self aware sentient being and will always have questions about what I do not understand.

I do not fear death. I fear dying.

I like some aspects and dislike others. Product of society.

Yes. The world without religion will only go forward in leaps and bounds as millions of people free their minds from the shackles of thousands of years of tyranny and lies.

Not but religions certainly like to think they can influence politics.
Hasa Diga Eebowai

Offline Star Stuff

• Darwins +146/-2
  • Carbon-based life form.
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2013, 09:24:26 AM »
1. Why are you an atheist?

For the same reason that I am an a-unicornist.

2. How did you become an atheist?

Like you, and everybody else who has ever lived on this planet, I was born an atheist.  The ideas of a god were instilled into my unformed mind, and given the propensity for children to believe their parents, I didn't stand a chance but to believe it.  Once indoctrinated, few have the courage and intellectual honesty to place these supernatural beliefs under scrutiny.

3. Where are you from ?

Not germain to the conversation.

4. How old are you ?

5. Do you believe in the afterlife (some atheist than I know believe to the afterlife)? If no, can you explain why?

No, because there is no good evidence or reason to hold such beliefs.  It is wishful thinking.

6. Did you read all of the Bible? If you read all the bible, what biblical canon (catholic , orthodox , protestant etc...)?

Yes; born & raised in a christian home.  Numerous "versions" of the silly book.

7. Did you read all the Quran? (Yes I know that for Muslims if you read a translation you don't read the Koran).

No. It's a repulsive book. Why would I?

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/

8. Did you read any other religious text? If yes what is it or what are they?

Smatterings.  All are based in pre-scientific ignorance and superstition.

9. What are yours hobbies?

10. Can you define the goal of life?

There isn't one.  Each person must decide upon their own goals and what gives their life meaning.  Accepting responsibility for one's life is a good foundation.  Without that, one is set-up for all kinds of deleterious beliefs & behaviour.

11. Sometimes do you think:  "I will go in Hell if god does exist."

I used to - when I was a child and indoctrinated with such bankrupt, fearful and stunted thinking.  But now that I have cast off those impoverished beliefs, I see the world in naturalistic terms, not supernatural.

12. Sometimes do you think that God does exist maybe?

No.  I am completely open to accepting that should any good evidence or reason arise, but to date there is none.

13. What do you think about people who believe in monotheistic religions?

Victims of childhood indoctrination.

14. What do you think about people who believe in polytheistic religions?

Victims of childhood indoctrination.

I'm a poly-atheist; there's lots of gods I don't believe in.

15. What do you think about people who believe in a religion where there are not god(s)?

By definition, a religion has god-belief at its core.

16. Do you have an interest about philosophy to have answers about life? Can you explain why?

Your question makes no sense. Answers?  The correct "answer" is that we are here thanks to biochemistry and evolution.

17. Do you fear to be dead? (I speak in a metaphysical context and about your friends , family etc...).

If you mean:  "do I fear death"?, then I would say that just like any other creature, I prefer to stay alive.  Death is inevitable though, and I know it will come one day, but I love and appreciate experiencing life so much that I hope to have as many years as possible.  I think that I, like most people, fear pain & suffering towards the end.

18. Do you like your life?  If you like your life, why do you like your life. If you don't like your life I would like to know the reason.

Yes, very much.  I have good, satisfying work, good health, and someone to love.

19. Do you dream to live in a world where there are not place for the religions?  If yes or no, please explain.

That is worded very poorly, and could be taken in different ways.  I hope that humanity will eventually shake off primitive, ignorant, superstitious beliefs (aka: religions).

20. Do you think that politic is like religion?  Explain why this is not equal or not.

In one sense:

In science it often happens that scientists say, “You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken”, and then they actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it, it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that has happened in politics or religion.  (Carl Sagan) 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 04:27:15 PM by Star Stuff »
God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +74/-1
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2013, 12:19:20 AM »
1.Why are you atheist ? I've seen no compelling evidence for the existence of any gods.

2.How are you became atheist ? I was raised very religious. My father was a Pentecostal preacher. But in later childhood I started noticing how people around me, including my parents, would sometimes deceive themselves into believing things that were not true. This led to me questioning the entire belief system. It turns out that it does not hold up well to honest questioning.

3.Where are you from ? Hmm... A simple yet inscrutable question. How specific? What exactly do you mean by "from"? Here's a stab it it: Texas, USA.

4.How old are you ? 47

5.Do you believe in the afterlife (some atheist than I know believe to the afterlife) ? If no , can you explain why ? No. I've seen no compelling evidence for it.

6.Did you read all the Bible ? If you read all the bible what biblical canon (catholic , orthodox , protestant etc...) ? No, not all of it.

7.Did you read all the Quran ? (Yes I know that for Muslims if you read a translation you don't read the Koran). No. I have a copy (in english), but have not read it.

8.Did you read an other religious text ? If yes what is it or what are they ? Yes. Jack Chick comics and miscellaneous issues of Awake! and Watchtower left in laundromats, commuter trains, and busses

9.What are yours hobbies ? Mostly wasting time on the Internet. But I also occasionally like to make things. Wooden things, electronic things, computer programs, whatever.

10.Can you define the goal of the life ? My goal is to live my life in a way that makes the world a little better, even if only slightly.

11.Sometimes do you think ? I will go in Hell if god does exist. No. I do not worry about God sending me to hell any more than I worry about Zeus striking me with lightning. It is all mythology.

12.Sometimes do you think that God does exist maybe ? No. The idea is not only without evidence, but it is quite absurd. This is not to say that I would not be open to hard evidence, but I see no reason to suspect that there is any, so I also see no reason to actively pursue the question. I am not "seeking". I have no interest in reading whatever apologist book or web site that some believer thinks is some profound new insight, but invariably turns out to be a re-packaging of the same old invalid arguments. Been there. Done that. Sick of it.

13.What do you think about people who believe in monotheistic religions ? Insofar as their religious beliefs, I think that they are deceiving themselves into believing things that are not true. Outside of that, they are too varied to judge as a group, but must be considered individually. They can be smart or stupid, cruel or kind, honest or crooked, etc.

14.What do you think about people who believe in polytheistic religions ? Same as #13

15.What do you think about people who believe in a religion where there are not god(s) ? If by "religion" you mean something that involves belief in the supernatural, and belief held on faith rather than reason, then same answer as #13 and #14. If you have in mind something that doesn't have those elements, then I don't think it can be properly called a religion.

16.Do you have an interest about philosophy to have answers about the life ? Can you explain why ? Not much. I do like to have answers, but if an "answer" is not grounded in reason and evidence, then I reject it and accept that the question remains unanswered. Better honest ignorance than pretend knowledge.

17.Do you fear to dead ? (I speak in a metaphysical context and about your friends , family etc...). Yes. I love life. I do not want to die. The thought of myself or someone I care about dying scares me.

18.Do you like your life ? If you like your life , why do you like your life. If you don't like your life I would like to know the reason. Despite all the ways that things are not the way I want them to be, and despite all of the hard times I've had to endure, I love my life. I love my family, my friends, and this whole wonderful universe. The chance that any one of us would exist at all, and have a chance to perceive and comprehend this magnificent universe, even if in a very limited way, is vanishingly small. Just to be alive is far better than any lottery win. And to have been born into a time when so much has been discovered and understood by those before me is almost unbelievably good fortune. Almost. Because here I am. My atoms were born in the nuclear furnace of long-dead stars, and, against literally astronomical odds, have come together for a while to become me. Carl Sagan said that "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself". That we are. What could possibly be more profound, strange, and wonderful, than that?

19.Do you dream to live in a world where there are not place for the religions ? If yes or no explain please. If you mean a world where reason has taken root and religion is widely recognized as superstition and myth, then yes. If you mean a world where religion is forbidden, a world where people are not free to think certain thoughts or express certain ideas, then no, I do not want that kind of world.

[/quote] No. There are some parallels in the way that people sometimes think about them, but they are fundamentally different things.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2013, 11:46:23 AM »
My answers appear in this blueish color

1.Why are you atheist ?  I was born that way, and so were you, btw.

2.How are you became atheist ?  see #1

3.Where are you from ?  United States, Maryland

4.How old are you ?  In my 40s

5.Do you believe in the afterlife (some atheist than I know believe to the afterlife)No
 If no , can you explain why ?  Your question starts with the wrong premise. You presume an afterlife must exist. There is no proof of such. Put the horse back in front of the cart and see where you go.

6.Did you read all the Bible ?  No. Perhaps 90%. All those obituaries and begats are boring.
 If you read all the bible what biblical canon (catholic , orthodox , protestant etc...)Biblical canon? If this is a way of asking which religious book I may have read, I find it odd. I was given a King James version of the bible when I entered Bible School (age 5) -- it was what baptists used, at least back then. I still have it.

No. Muslims insist that one must have a perfect ability to read Arabic to understand the Quran, and since I don't, and since my own bible is completely uninteresting, I have no care to read someone else's bible.

8.Did you read an other religious text ? I've read texts about religion, but not religious texts (see above).
If yes what is it or what are they ? Critical, logical analyses of religion and it's fallibility and failures. The book attached to this website as a starting point ...

9.What are yours hobbies ? Answering questions posed by theists. I need to upgrade my hobbies.

10.Can you define the goal of the life ?  My life? Your life? Human life in general?

11.Sometimes do you think ? I will go in Hell if god does exist.  Do I sometimes think that you will go to hell if god exists? No. I don't know you. I don't believe in god or hell.

12.Sometimes do you think that God does exist maybe ? Define "god" and then we'll talk more.

13.What do you think about people who believe in monotheistic religions ?  They are more focused than those who believe in polytheistic religions.

14.What do you think about people who believe in polytheistic religions ?  They have attention deficit disorders.

15.What do you think about people who believe in a religion where there are not god(s) ?  They most often are engaged in selling books, exercise machines and diet programs.

16.Do you have an interest about philosophy to have answers about the life ? Life in general? Philosophy cannot answer questions about life in general. That subject is, well, too general.

Can you explain why ?  I do not understand this question

I don't fear dying. I do have concerns about the quality of my life leading up to my death. I worry about what I accomplish while I am here.

18.Do you like your life ? I guess I do. I haven't had another one with which to compare.
 If you like your life , why do you like your life. Ummm, see above.
 If you don't like your life I would like to know the reason. Not sure what concern to you my life is or isn't.

I dream to live in a world in which people do not place mystical context upon every occurrence that seems inexplicable to them.

20.Do you think that politic is like religion ? Explain why this is not equal or not.  Religion is like sales and marketing; politics are like management and compromise. The two are not directly compatible. Sometimes their paths cross, but only on the way to different destinations.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2013, 06:12:23 PM »

I hope you don't mind a Christian answering. I'll only answer the relevant questions.

3.Where are you from ? - Born in Adelaide, Australia and have lived in a few places since then. I currently live in Brisbane, Australia

4.How old are you ? I turn 40 in November this year.

6.Did you read all the Bible ?  Yes
7.Did you read all the Quran ? None of it.

8.Did you read an other religious text ? If yes what is it or what are they ? A few Christian commentaries, some Christian apologetics books. C.S. Lewis. Josh McDowell.

9.What are yours hobbies ? Outdoors stuff. Cycling, running, getting in the car and exploring.

10.Can you define the goal of the life ? My goal is to honour God firstly, and to be a good and wise husband and father.

16.Do you have an interest about philosophy to have answers about the life ? Can you explain why ? Not especially, apart from recognising that life definitely consists of more than we can experience tangibly

18.Do you like your life ? If you like your life , why do you like your life. If you don't like your life I would like to know the reason. Yes, for the most part. I have constant frustrations to do with parenting, and I struggle to motivate myself at work. But I recognise that I'm extremely blessed to have two children and to have a job that I don't hate

Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2013, 02:22:53 AM »
1.Why are you atheist ?

An atheist is someone who doesn't believe in god(s). I don't have a god belief. Never have. There is no why. Why are you an a-Santa Claus-ist? The idea of the Abrahamic god(s) simply seems absurd to me.

I've never believed in god.

3.Where are you from ?

US

4.How old are you ?

Much older than you.  ;D

No. I see no reason to believe that anything happens after our physical processes cease.

No. I've read many parts of it, a very long time ago. I have no interest in reading it again. I don't recall the version. Probably the King James or something like it.

No.

I've read a little bit by a Buddhist nun. Nothing official.

fantasy roleplaying, dogs, arts and crafts

My personal goal is to seek to be the very best, kindest, successful and creative person that I can possibly be. Happiness, joy, sharing ... these are all goals. I don't think about an ultimate goal of life for all of us. We live, we die. What's in between is up to us.

No. Hell is an absurd concept.

No. God is an absurd concept.

I think they're wrong.

I think they're wrong.

Not sure what you mean here. You mean like atheistic Buddhists or Unitarians?

Sure. Philosophy is an interesting pursuit, although these days I much prefer to actually do something, rather than ponder something.

Not at all. I will simply cease to be.

Yes. I am pursuing a second career in the arts. I love my work, and have many, many great memories of the things I've done in my life so far.

I dream of a world with no hatred, no war, no rape, no murder, no fear. Whether others believe in supernatural things doesn't matter to me if (and only if) they live peacefully with others.

Not sure what you mean here. I believe that politics and religion can both be great forces for evil because they give people the illusion that they have power over others. Once people believe that, they are capable of terrible things.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +222/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2013, 02:53:16 AM »
7.Did you read all the Quran ? None of it.

You should read the Quran. Then you would be imbued with that comfortable sense that 2 billion people believe in something which is obviously just made up. It helps develop your sense of outsider muscles.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.