Author Topic: New in town, not new to atheism though.  (Read 461 times)

Offline tapdancingcow

• Freshman
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
New in town, not new to atheism though.
« on: May 09, 2013, 12:19:20 PM »
He everybody.  I'm new here, though I've been lurking for a while and fascinated by some of the stories of de-conversion.  I was fortunate in that my father and grandfather on both sides were atheists, at the most one of my grandfathers was an agnostic.  My mother was a Catholic but never went to church because she hated the passing of the hat around church for money.  What ever that bowl thingy is  called.  She saw no reason to give the Catholic Church any more money than they already have.   She just liked the ceremony and that's about it.

I'm a former ballet dancer, hence the tapdancingcow signature.  You can call me "Tap" or "Dancer" or "Tapdancer" or even" Dancingcow" but please don't call me "Cow" for short.  Though I have nothing against cows.

I'm reading The Bible Unearthed at the moment.  Interesting book.  Is there a book discussion area here?

Thanks for the welcome!

Tap

Offline Heisenburger

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WTFWJD?
Re: New in town, not new to atheism though.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 12:43:57 PM »
Welcome! I was a lurker as well :)  I'm going to check out that book. My conversion started recently with "Jesus Potter Harry Christ" by Derek Murphy.
“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.”  -Richard Pryor

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 12:46:21 PM »
Welcome Dancingcow,

I'm not familiar with ballet but I've done some cow tipping in my day. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 02:37:40 PM »
Mooooo!

That's cow for "welcome to the forum."

I'm reading The Bible Unearthed at the moment.  Interesting book.  Is there a book discussion area here?

The Finkelstein book?  Good stuff.  I've skimmed it, but not got to it in depth. 
We have a Reviews section here where you can talk about it:
http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/board,25.0.html

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 02:44:55 PM »
As a former tap and jazz dancer and gymnast, welcome.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 03:01:08 PM »
Welcome to the forum, tap.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Tinyal

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +25/-1
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 03:27:03 PM »
Welcome Tap!!  Although I've never danced (even informally), I have spent about 10 years (long ago) as tech director of several boston area dance troupes ; got to experience dance up close (or backstage), designing lighting plots, etc.  I'll have to look up the names of the groups I worked with, been too long I don't' remember - though I know 1 or 2 of them toured internationally.

Again, welcome to the best forum for non-theists on the internet!!
Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water?

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 03:48:12 AM »
greetings fellow earthling

look forward to seeing you dance around the boards tap
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 06:41:10 AM »
Welcome aboard Tap, and may your discussion be hearty!!

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 07:10:22 AM »
Welcome Tap!  I look forward to your contributions to the forum.  I'm also a female second generation atheist. 

May I make an observation based on personal experience?  It is seems to me that a disproportionate number of second and third generations atheists tend to be more into the arts or social services, while a disproportionate number of new atheists tend to be drawn to the hard sciences.  Anyone care to agree or disagree? 

Offline Heisenburger

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WTFWJD?
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 08:34:41 AM »
I agree Quesi.  I'm obsessed since I rejected science for so long.  I did write a screenplay once, though. I tried another but I just stared at the keyboard forever. 
“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.”  -Richard Pryor

Offline tapdancingcow

• Freshman
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 10:48:30 AM »
Quesi, it's might be true, about the artistic bent of atheist families.  My parents always encouraged us to pursue the arts even when I was 4 and 5 years old.  They never put any reins on my imagination and I'm so thankful for that.  I had an extremely happy, religion free, childhood. 

This may sound astounding to many on this forum but I'd never heard of Jesus until I was about 7 or 8 years old.  Yeah, we sang Christmas carols in school (I'm fifty so we still sang Christian songs in public school when I was a kid) but I never paid attention to what we were singing about.  Then one day just before Christmas while we were singing something like Holy Night I turned to a classmate and asked "Just who is this guy, Jesus?"  You can't imagine the shock on the classmates face.  Her eyes got wide and she said "He's the son of god!"  And then she explained the whole story to me.  I was an extremely imaginative kid but this Jesus story sounded stupid from the get-go. 

I wondered why a god would want to have a son.  For what purpose? Can't god just do stuff without going to the trouble of having a son?  It all sounded fishy and I shrugged my shoulders and went on my kid way, happily ignorant of religion.  Thank god (pun intended)!

I sure feel sorry for all the mental pain that has been inflicted to so many others on this forum and around the world in the name of god.  It's tragic.

Tap

Offline tapdancingcow

• Freshman
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 11:03:05 AM »
You all might be wondering how i remained so unaware of religion as a kid. Until I was about 10 we lived near Tahoe on the California side of the lake, way out in the woods near the Upper Truckee River and there were very few neighbors around.  We were essentially in the back woods living much like the Waltons , that TV show from the 70's or 80's, whenever it was on TV.  The difference being that my parents were quite well educated and my dad was a free thinker who loved the wilderness.  It was childhood nirvana.

Tap