Author Topic: Freemasonry and modern religion  (Read 496 times)

Offline madame_zora

Freemasonry and modern religion
« on: May 02, 2013, 04:13:57 PM »
As a former poster here, I was wondering if any of the board members have studied Freemasonry, and have any information on how it applies to the various religions? I've spent so much time debating religion before I ever had an understanding of what religions are, where they came from, what they do, and why they exist. I am specifically interested in Gematria, the Qaballah, and the ways religion has established dominance. Has anyone begun unpacking the code reading of the bible?

What people believe is of very little interest to me. What religion accomplished for the powerful is my concern. Here's a little tidbit:

http://www.biblebelievers.org.au/jesuits.htm
"Reality isn't something we invented to embarrass religious people." ~ captainmanacles

"Looking forward to a continuation of already-eternal life as myriad wandering  atoms doing interesting stuff." ~ Astreja

http://madamezoratoo.blogspot.com/

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +125/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
Re: Freemasonry and modern religion
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 01:14:16 PM »
I am a Christian but I think the Bible Code stuff is quackery.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 01:31:00 PM »
We have been waiting for the bible decoder ring for years. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +658/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 02:50:04 PM »
What people believe is of very little interest to me. What religion accomplished for the powerful is my concern.

Sorry Z.  I've not studied freemasons.  Loons seem to connect them to a lot of nonsense, so I imagine finding accurate information would be difficult.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +523/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 05:00:14 PM »
Freemasons are not a religious order. There are various orders of Masonry but the best that can be said of them is that they have a tendency towards deism. They accept members of any and no denomination and faith. Their ceremonies are set around an incident of a man looking for enlightenment. The novitiate passes through various symbolic ceremonies towards the highest rank (of whatever order) and at each level he learns a little more about the way to view the world and mankind.

Freemasonry is a mutually beneficial society but, by and large, does not entertain anything that might be described as corruption. By outsiders, “favouring your own” is seen as corruption enough but the reality is nowhere near as divisive as imagined.

The link that you gave is from what is known as “a tin-foil hat” website. I have seen it before. It is wild, sensational and unrestrained by logic and common sense. The mere lay-out is sufficient to confirm this. If you were taken in by it, I would reassess your critical thinking skills and try to attain a healthy level of skepiticism.

If you really want to know about the Jesuits, have a look at some serious books.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 07:51:33 PM »
The Freemasons are an absolute blur in my mind.  There is the silly conspiracy stuff - Da vinci Code and whatnot.  Even better was an episode of Ancient Aliens, which claimed that the Freemasons are the descendants of lovechildren conceived between aliens and humans, and that they are planning to "go home" to Alpha Centauri. 

Then there is my Jewish buddy, who talks about her working class uncles who were Freemasons.  She imagines it as a bunch of guys wearing silly hats and drinking beer, kind of like the Grand Poobas on the Flintstones.  I had thought it was a Christian organization, but she assures me it is not. 

And there is a really nice guy who I do some work with.  First generation Mexican New Yorker, wears a suit to every day, and works for a city-funded program under the auspices of the Mayor's office, to help low income people create household budgets, save for goals, avoid scams, get out of debt, fight of foreclosures, etc.  Handsome young man.  Charming.  Recently married to a crisis counselor.  A nice couple, who care about their communities.  Bright.  Progressive.  Educated.  And sometimes he carries a garment bag to work, with an even fancier one than the one that he is wearing, because he has a Freemason meeting after work. 

So I have no information to share, other than random images, myths, glimpses and stories. 

Online rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 08:38:03 PM »
I also don't know much about the Masons, but I do know they have a magazine that I deliver to their members on my mail routes. 

The town I used to live in has four roads that are the entry/exits to the town.  At each of these entry points is a sign with the name of the town along with signs about the local 4-H, Lions Club, some other groups I can't remember, and a Freemasons sign with their symbol printed on it.  My aunt told me that she believes that the reason the town had been declining in growth and jobs is because the signs of the Freemasons at the entry points of the town are creating a "black cloud" around the town.  Crazy lady.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 08:58:57 PM »
I have a cousin who is a freemason. According to him the only requirement is that one believes in god, but god can be defined any way one wishes. He loves it, seems to do good works, and yes, there is definitely a "silly hat, magical-sounding titles, and funny ceremony" aspect to it. If I didn't know better, I'd have assumed he was playing D&D. ;) More than that I do not know.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.