Author Topic: Philosophers  (Read 195 times)

Offline Greenandwhite

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +5/-4
  • WWGHA Member
Philosophers
« on: May 01, 2013, 07:12:10 PM »
      About a year ago, after reading an article by the philosopher Michael Ruse, I remember commenting to my wife that if I were to become an atheist, Dr. Ruse would quite possibly become my favorite philosopher.  I know there is no rule stating that theists must only like theist philosophers and atheists must only like atheist philosophers, but for the purposes of my question I have taken the liberty of assuming that this is usually the case.  My question therefore is: if you were to become a theist, who would your favorite philosopher be?

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
Re: Philosophers
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 07:18:24 PM »
Jesus?  hee hee.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 08:06:20 PM »
Hmmm.  Probably not philosophers per se, but some of the theists whose philosophies and activism that I respect the most include Gandhi, Rigoberta Menchu and the Berrigan brothers.  All were (or are) religious, and all committed their lives to abstract ideas, and concrete implementation, of models of social justice. 

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +683/-3
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 09:32:03 PM »
I'm pretty sure that if I became a theist I would not be any more interested in philosophers than I am now. I enjoy the sciences and history, but I've never been into philosophy. Of any stripe.
Not everyone is entitled to their opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.