Author Topic: I'm hoping this isn't real  (Read 160 times)

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +747/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
I'm hoping this isn't real
« on: August 25, 2014, 12:22:09 PM »
This guy seems to think that wind turbines are fans, causing wind. I've no idea how serious he is. I hope this is a joke. But living in a country full of teabaggers, there is always that danger that he is being serious.

If he had a French-Canadian accent, I'd suspect it was Luk. But no such luck.

http://digg.com/video/meet-the-only-man-who-has-never-heard-of-a-windmill

Added: I couldn't embed the video, so you have to go to the link on digg.com. Sorry about that. Its a safe site.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 12:24:30 PM by ParkingPlaces »
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: I'm hoping this isn't real
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 12:29:01 PM »
Read the comments on his video: https://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=fjMRVmbdzK8
Then read his Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/george.blasing
It's not real. Either that or he had a massive stroke and barely qualifies as "not brain-dead".
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +747/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 01:50:45 PM »
Thanks for clarifying, OAL. You appear to have more faith in my fellow Americans than I do, and hence are willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

That isn't always wise. But in this case its probably okay.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline urs

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 02:01:56 PM »
One of my smarter, but somewhat conservative, friends recently mentioned that she thought she had read that in places where windmills had been installed, droughts soon followed. My response was that if that was true, it was likely a coincidence; after all, there have been record droughts in a lot of places the last few years, and also, the places most likely to have a lot of wind in the first place are also (if I were to guess, as I live in one of these places) more prone to cycles of drought. It didn't occur to me that she may have thought this was a result of wind being "generated". But this thread makes me feel like I should perhaps revisit the topic with her...

Side note: if you want to lose your faith in humanity again, then you should know that where I live (rural Kansas), there are people who think that earthquakes and volcanoes are the result of climate change, AND/or that we are in the end times and climate change is the proof. It's really hard to live here, sometimes.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 02:03:27 PM »
Thanks for clarifying, OAL. You appear to have more faith in my fellow Americans than I do, and hence are willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

LOL. You're funny. ;)
I just did a little research before making assumptions, as the level of stupidity expressed in the video seemed unrealistically high. It has nothing to do with "faith".
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 02:04:40 PM »
where I live (rural Kansas)

Out of curiosity, what's it like, living in 1378? :P
We choose our own gods.

Offline urs

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 02:11:29 PM »
where I live (rural Kansas)

Out of curiosity, what's it like, living in 1378? :P

It feels like the world is filled with stupid people. Part of the appeal of the forums for me is that I get to talk to other people from around the country and the world that remind me that not everyone thinks like a stereotypical redneck Teapartier. But, I also feel like I need to stick around here, because places like this need people like me as a reminder that there are other types of people and ideas out there, and that they are not all universally bad/evil/stupid. It's....weirdly inspiring.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +87/-1
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 04:09:41 PM »
I think he's just trying to be funny/get some attention. The sounds he identifies as coming from the "fans" are clearly cars going past offscreen. He's not even being a convincing Poe in my view.

Offline DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +40/-7
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 06:58:46 PM »

Actually, it has been reported that some of the large solar arrays are causing some of the local birds to become quickly incinerated while flying over them due to the magnifying of the sunlight to their localized area (think of ants in a magnifying glass).

However, I'm sure this could be changed and shouldn't become a show-stopper to save the planet or ourselves. Maybe we could strategically set up a few of these wind turbines to chop up these sun-light cooked birds and bread with a meat packaging station ready to served up as a sandwich.  ;)
Hguols: "Its easier for me to believe that a God created everything...."

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +128/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 09:35:01 PM »
It feels like the world is filled with stupid people. Part of the appeal of the forums for me is that I get to talk to other people from around the country and the world that remind me that not everyone thinks like a stereotypical redneck Teapartier. But, I also feel like I need to stick around here, because places like this need people like me as a reminder that there are other types of people and ideas out there, and that they are not all universally bad/evil/stupid. It's....weirdly inspiring.

You are the embedded insurgent -- the sleeper cell.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
  • Hospitals suck past an hour.
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 11:36:41 AM »
Nah.. Wind is created by overpopulation and to many people all breathing at the same time..
You better believe it's not butter or you'll burn in hell forever and EVER!
Get on your knees right now and thank GOD for not being real!

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 12:34:31 PM »
This guy seems to think that wind turbines are fans, causing wind. I've no idea how serious he is. I hope this is a joke. But living in a country full of teabaggers, there is always that danger that he is being serious.

If he had a French-Canadian accent, I'd suspect it was Luk. But no such luck.

http://digg.com/video/meet-the-only-man-who-has-never-heard-of-a-windmill

Added: I couldn't embed the video, so you have to go to the link on digg.com. Sorry about that. Its a safe site.

Sounded like cars passing by when he said "wind". Could be a joke, then again...

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey