Author Topic: I believe because of miracles  (Read 5181 times)

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: I believe because of miracles
« Reply #116 on: May 04, 2013, 10:22:45 AM »
Not to be an alarmist, but did anyone besides me start to think that Andrew might actually be ...a bit off? Some of his posts, when skimmed en mass start to sound a little like actual delusions and/or hallucinations. It reads to me as if he actually hears "god" speaking to him. He clearly sees "signs", some literal even.

I've been taking a lot of psychology this semester so it could just be my overactive imagination too, I freely admit that. And I'm still on my first cup of coffee. IDK, it's just a sense I got skimming the thread.

Nope. Your analysis was good.
I was beginning to think I was the only one who saw that.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +235/-0
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #117 on: May 04, 2013, 01:03:01 PM »
I'm still waiting for my damn pony. ;)

Perhaps you should be praying to Epona instead.  ;)
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #118 on: May 04, 2013, 05:32:21 PM »
Not to be an alarmist, but did anyone besides me start to think that Andrew might actually be ...a bit off? Some of his posts, when skimmed en mass start to sound a little like actual delusions and/or hallucinations. It reads to me as if he actually hears "god" speaking to him. He clearly sees "signs", some literal even.

I've been taking a lot of psychology this semester so it could just be my overactive imagination too, I freely admit that. And I'm still on my first cup of coffee. IDK, it's just a sense I got skimming the thread.

Nope. Your analysis was good.
I was beginning to think I was the only one who saw that.

It is interesting.  A lot of Christians talk about "serving God."  Andrew doesn't serve his god.  His god serves him!  Andrew calls the shots, and his god accommodates his whims, bails him out when he screws up, keeps him from being bored during joy rides in the car, picks up tabs for restaurant deadbeats who have no means to pay the bill, fixes his car for him, and generally getting him out of messes. 

Andrew's god is a sort of all-purpose fairy god father, who caters to his whims and cleans up his messes.  Ironically, this god is a very very different god from the handsome, helpless, weepy lord, who took the Ecuadorian girl on a tour of the afterlife.  And Andrew is the one who posted that video.  Hard to believe they are even part of the same religion, honestly. 

Online Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +174/-6
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #119 on: May 04, 2013, 05:36:57 PM »
Perhaps I should have watched at least a bit of the video first... well, probably not, but yeah, it does certainly sound like Andrew's God is disproportionately helpful.

I actually tracked two threads in a row, and the tether seems a bit looser than I had thought a day or two ago.
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Offline Anfauglir

• Darwins +407/-4
« Reply #120 on: May 05, 2013, 03:26:18 AM »
If you don't believe in miracles watch this

I did.

Andrew, you are aware that that was an - alleged - reconstruction of what he says happened?  That the swirly bits over her eyes were added there by computer trickery?

Why aren't you posting the film of the ACTUAL healing?  I suspect because no such footage exists, because no such thing ever took place.....
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +44/-13
« Reply #121 on: June 04, 2013, 03:37:19 PM »
Did Andrew ever produce the Will for a million dollars?

I wont call that direct evidence of god but it sure would go a long way to proving his belief in god.

To be fortunate enough to receive a million dollars from a homeless guy is extremely lucky. 

If andrew wont produce the will did he explain why?

Offline Graybeard

• Professor
  • Darwins +457/-14
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #122 on: June 04, 2013, 04:38:33 PM »
If you don't believe in miracles watch this
I left the comment:
1.This was not reported on TV or in the newspapers.
2. There are no names given.
3. There was no record of the actual child
4. There are 7 million blind people in the USA - how many has he cured?
5. The miracle can be reproduced by putting pig-fat on the eyes.and then wiping it off.

The comment is awaiting approval. It will not be approved. There are 4 comments in a year, something like this usually gathers 500 comments a month.

The guy is a fraud. Anyone who believes him is gullible.
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline domnuspike

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #123 on: November 07, 2013, 04:28:10 AM »
By the time I finished using his phone (and didn't get through to anyone) he had already fixed the tire completely and when I looked at his phone the header on it was this "praise God". Who knows that might have been an angel since I know that they were all around me and following me home because I saw them and could feel them all around me.

Vastly more plausible explanation:  He was a nice person who saw your car on the side of the road, and he decided to help you.  As for the header on his phone, all that indicates is that he happened to be a believer.

God works through His creation, through people.. He can very well overwrite the laws of nature, the laws that we know so well from school, tv and library, but can you tell how many of us will believe in Him if He will do that?

Offline Ataraxia

• Graduate
  • Darwins +67/-0
  • "I am large, I contain multitudes."
« Reply #124 on: November 07, 2013, 04:47:29 AM »
God works through His creation, through people.. He can very well overwrite the laws of nature, the laws that we know so well from school, tv and library, but can you tell how many of us will believe in Him if He will do that?

How do you distinguish between a natural law, that was originally configured by God, and a divine intervention that suspends/over-rides a natural law?
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #125 on: November 07, 2013, 08:57:13 AM »
God works through His creation, through people..

wtf does that even mean?  Does he possess people and make them do things they would not have done otherwise?  Does he give them extra intelligence, strength or decision making powers to make sure they do what he wants?  Is this not overriding their free will?  Exactly what do you mean?

How do you know god is working "through" people?  How can you tell? 

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +781/-4
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #126 on: November 07, 2013, 06:14:52 PM »
By the time I finished using his phone (and didn't get through to anyone) he had already fixed the tire completely and when I looked at his phone the header on it was this "praise God". Who knows that might have been an angel since I know that they were all around me and following me home because I saw them and could feel them all around me.

Vastly more plausible explanation:  He was a nice person who saw your car on the side of the road, and he decided to help you.  As for the header on his phone, all that indicates is that he happened to be a believer.

Not too many, considering how god's chosen people in the bible saw miracles first hand-- and still went right back to misbehaving and worshipping idols as soon as god turned his holy back.  :-\
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +235/-0
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #127 on: November 07, 2013, 06:56:52 PM »
God works through His creation, through people.

Even if that were true, your god is apparently unable to do anything that humans can't do.  I predict that it will be mortal humans, not gods, who first heal an amputee... And I also predict that at least one believer will try to give the credit to his or her god, instead of to the doctors and geneticists and other professionals who did years and years of hard work.

He can very well overwrite the laws of nature, the laws that we know so well from school, tv and library, but can you tell how many of us will believe in Him if He will do that?

Let's find out, shall we?  Do you know of any instances in which the laws of nature were actually overwritten?  Once we've confirmed one such incident, we can start surveying believers.  Until then, it's a total waste of your time and ours to play that kind of "what-if" game.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Matthieu

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #128 on: December 23, 2013, 07:29:04 PM »
Andrew, I know you desperately want to help people see what we see. God bless.

Offline epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +44/-13
« Reply #129 on: May 01, 2014, 09:40:05 AM »

Not too many, considering how god's chosen people in the bible saw miracles first hand-- and still went right back to misbehaving and worshipping idols as soon as god turned his holy back.  :-\

I contend that if I wittnessed the parting of the Red Sea, (which had to be impressive to allow 13 miles of people walk through it 100 abrest 3 feet apart.) 10 impossible plagues, a staff turn into a snake...

And this guy strike a rock in the desert with a staff and enough water to farm and quench the thirst of 2,000,000 to 2,500,000 million people.  I would not resort to disobeying him and making idols to some diety that has never worked miracles like I had recently seen.

perhaps in 3 or 4 generations when the tales of magic all seemed like distant moral tales told by senile old men.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +82/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #130 on: May 01, 2014, 09:44:52 AM »

I contend that if I wittnessed the parting of the Red Sea, (which had to be impressive to allow 13 miles of people walk through it 100 abrest 3 feet apart.) 10 impossible plagues, a staff turn into a snake...

And this guy strike a rock in the desert with a staff and enough water to farm and quench the thirst of 2,000,000 to 2,500,000 million people.  I would not resort to disobeying him and making idols to some diety that has never worked miracles like I had recently seen.

perhaps in 3 or 4 generations when the tales of magic all seemed like distant moral tales told by senile old men.

I agree. Its odd that its the other way around.

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +781/-4
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #131 on: May 01, 2014, 04:29:18 PM »
Yep, the closer in time you get to the supposed miracle, the more skeptical the people seem to be. Adam and Eve talked directly to god and still did not believe him. Noah's family survived the flood and started acting up immediately. Moses himself could not get his people to stop with the paganism. And most Jews alive at the time of Jesus rejected the miracles--and they still do.

But as more time passes, and as the stories get crazier and even harder to document, more people start to believe in this stuff. Defies logic, I swear. :?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #132 on: May 01, 2014, 11:36:06 PM »
Yep, the closer in time you get to the supposed miracle, the more skeptical the people seem to be. Adam and Eve talked directly to god and still did not believe him. Noah's family survived the flood and started acting up immediately. Moses himself could not get his people to stop with the paganism. And most Jews alive at the time of Jesus rejected the miracles--and they still do.

But as more time passes, and as the stories get crazier and even harder to document, more people start to believe in this stuff. Defies logic, I swear. :?

They don't want to believe THEY are killing the planet therefore Global Warming is just nonsense: Biblegod  is doing it because we sin. It's our fault but not because of this but that through that other thing.

;)

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?