Author Topic: Geographic Guessing Game  (Read 783 times)

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +896/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
Re: Geographic Guessing Game
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2013, 06:16:02 PM »
I love this game!

I thought I would be pretty good, but I totally blow. I only got one right, because I recognized the language on the signs. But of the ones that I got wrong, two were in the correct latitude. I think it was the vegetation type and the quality of the light.

Guess I know sumpin. Even if it's the wrong sumpin. :P
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2013, 08:49:46 PM »
Sometimes I'd just pick a body of water. But Russia is hard. I knew Russia was one and I sat it down half way through the middle and it went about a thousand km the other way near the ocean and still in Russia.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2013, 09:55:00 PM »
I disliked all the times it gave me a road in a forest, or something. How is anyone to figure that out? I can go down the street from my house and be in the same setting.

-Nam

Every forest is different. The type of trees, their density, height, type of foliage, the flowers, the weeds, the color of the earth, the horizon -- all can significantly help narrow down where the location is. Travel down the road a bit until you encounter a car, a sign or a human. The road markings can often exclude entire continents and countries. Clues are always in abundance.

The most difficult locations I have encountered are with the walking cameras instead of the driving cameras. The walking cameras don't go very far before the pathway runs out, and in one case all I got was a single-point 360 view. I couldn't go anywhere. I was still able to guess within about 300 miles of the location.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2013, 10:03:23 PM »
I travelled down one road for about 20 minutes: nothing. Apparently not a well travelled road.

Did you get the mall yet? Good luck there.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2013, 10:35:34 PM »
I have yet to get an interior of any building.
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2013, 11:02:34 PM »
When you get it do not assume since it's so nice looking it's in a Western country nor believe what's written on the walls or names of the shops.

-Nam

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2013, 11:06:05 PM »
I would determine the location by the names of the shops, but not just the name of one shop but the collection of them. Stores are now often clustered in groups based on geography because they retail giants do multi-location deals. Then, I would look inside to see what kind of merchandise is offered, the color scheme, the features of the mall (the more ornate the mall is, the more likely it will be located in a Middle Eastern or Asian country.

There is usually one store that will give away the general location of the place.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2013, 11:22:52 PM »
I would determine the location by the names of the shops, but not just the name of one shop but the collection of them. Stores are now often clustered in groups based on geography because they retail giants do multi-location deals. Then, I would look inside to see what kind of merchandise is offered, the color scheme, the features of the mall (the more ornate the mall is, the more likely it will be located in a Middle Eastern or Asian country.

There is usually one store that will give away the general location of the place.

You know, I had those same thoughts: I was 3,000 km off the mark. But maybe your same deduction process will give a different assessment.

I couldn't find a way outside: I recommend you do, if you get the same mall as I did.

-Nam

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2013, 04:17:03 AM »
I just got one in a village in Cork My Irish co-worker grew up near there and managed to get it to 0.069 KM

Neat.  I'm going to be visiting Cork (among other places) in September.

Cool man, hope you enjoy it looks like a great place to go. the accent takes a bit of getting used to though