Author Topic: How long until rational thinking becomes rational behavior?  (Read 187 times)

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
Rational thinking: the wheel bearing on my car needs to be replaced, I can hear it squeaking and I know that's the cause. It's possible that the wheel will literally seize up while driving. I'm in finals prep week, with three trips to and from school before the semester ends and I can give up the car for a few days so my boyfriend can fix it amongst several other equally pressing miscellaneous repairs underway at the moment. I have access to a different vehicle.

Rational decisions: drive the other vehicle, or take mine to backup mechanic and spend an afternoon at the bar next door to his shop studying.

Not me. Kept driving my car, remembering the problem as I pulled out of the driveway every time. I can't defend that choice, it was stupid and potentially dangerous, but I did it. Heck, it barely qualified as a choice - I just remembered, thought "no time, gotta go" and drove on.

Just an example, but one extreme enough to really demonstrate my point. How long, if ever, until newly developing rational thinking routinely translates into rational behavior?
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
Re: How long until rational thinking becomes rational behavior?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 12:45:45 PM »
Just an example, but one extreme enough to really demonstrate my point. How long, if ever, until newly developing rational thinking routinely translates into rational behavior?

I'd have to say never, at least in each and every case. I doubt the most rational person on the planet demonstrates completely rational behavior 24/7/365. Our brains, while not always rational, are very good at rationalizing, from what I've observed.
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 01:45:21 PM »
Lol, that's an important distinction!

I get frustrated when I find yet another example of completely stupid thinking on my part. Some days it seems that I'll never get ahead of my own screwy thought processes. I know completely rational behavior isn't even desirable, but it would be nice to feel like I'm gaining some ground  ;)
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 01:48:47 PM »
jag -

it's a wheel... feel free to use circular logic  &)
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Petey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +11/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 01:49:56 PM »
That's funny.  Here I was thinking the most irrational part of that story was the fact that you were considering going to a bar...and STUDYING!?!
He never pays attention, he always knows the answer, and he can never tell you how he knows. We can't keep thrashing him. He is a bad example to the other pupils. There's no educating a smart boy.
-– Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 01:52:44 PM »
That's funny.  Here I was thinking the most irrational part of that story was the fact that you were considering going to a bar...and STUDYING!?!

I'd assumed that was meant as a joke anyway.

The only studying I do at a bar involves the history of Irish, German, and Belgian breweries
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Petey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +11/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 01:54:42 PM »
And anatomy.  ;)
He never pays attention, he always knows the answer, and he can never tell you how he knows. We can't keep thrashing him. He is a bad example to the other pupils. There's no educating a smart boy.
-– Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 02:04:36 PM »
Actually it wasn't, but I see why you would think so. It's just the only public building near my mechanic, and yeah, I don't think it's a good atmosphere in which to study anything other than the bottom of a beer bottle. That made it easy to use Dante's point and justify not dealing with my car - because I was stressing myself out over finals. A beer (or six) probably would have done me good!

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +372/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 10:47:52 AM »
So truth - I found that studying at a relatively quiet bar with a drink was one of the more effective studying strategies I found.  A quiet bar is also a fantastic place to have group meetings for things like capstone projects.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/