Author Topic: Crazy Alan Keyes defies Jesus  (Read 590 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +552/-22
  • Karma mooch
Crazy Alan Keyes defies Jesus
« on: April 30, 2013, 07:06:03 AM »
In a new "column" (if by "column" you mean "hysterical screechings of the criminally insane") by Alan Keyes, he suggest that xians are prepared to do violence against the US government.

Seriously.

http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/keyes/130425

Moreover, it's not at all unreasonable to see, in certain recurring reports, signs that the U.S. government is preparing our military forces to do violence against Christian denominations that refuse to abandon God's Word on matters like homosexuality.

How is this not shouting "FIRE!" in a crowded theater?

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Crazy Alan Keyes defies Jesus
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 07:45:13 AM »
Dude is a lunatic.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +369/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 07:46:58 AM »
Screwtape, I don't know how you resisted quoting the title of this thoughtful piece. 

Are Christians obliged to be fodder for evil?

He builds upon this timely question mid-way through the piece,

Given these signs of the times, the notion that "gentle Jesus, meek and mild" is the only accurate, Gospel-authorized example for Christians may ironically lead them to strike a pose of defenseless piety in the face of these genocidal threats. Since the prospect of an easy kill emboldens cowardly bullies, this defenseless pose increases their temptation to do evil. Are Christians required to become a near occasion of sin for those inclined to prey upon the defenseless? Are we required by Christ's example to make ourselves fodder for evil?

How is this not shouting "FIRE!" in a crowded theater?

The frightening thing is, it is almost as if he is trying to provoke someone into suggesting what you are suggesting, and that would probably inspire some of his followers to put his words into action.

What kind of a following does this nutjob have?

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 08:20:02 AM »
Can't be outdone in craziness by the Muslims.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +552/-22
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 08:34:32 AM »
What kind of a following does this nutjob have?

the entire right-wing lunatic fringe.  Including a lot of hard-core anti-abortion activists and sympathizers.  More than enough people to cause a real problem a la the IRA.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +271/-76
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 03:59:58 PM »
I will know definitively the US has gone down the drain when we elect as president a nut like Keyes, Palin, Bachmann, or that lunatic of a woman from Nevada.

Till then, we're relatively safe.

-Nam

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +116/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 08:12:51 PM »
Proof that mental health is not required to receive a PhD from Harvard.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline IAmFirst

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 03:34:41 AM »
So? They're supposed to do violence against their retarded beliefs.

"Onward Christian so-o-o-oldiers / Marching off to war!" This is a great hit with the kids. :D

Even many of the arguments against xtians who are against homosexuality, conspiracy, a war against religion are all much more like xtians are expected to be. Many say that their god doesn't condone violence/loves all his creatures, etc.

Some just aren't worthy enough to be a true hypocrite.
2nd of all, if all you believe in is peer-reviewed papers, you won't go very far in life...

-- Shin :D

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +552/-22
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 07:39:04 AM »
It's funny - all religions want to be called "religions of peace".  Yet, none of them really are.  jesus H said to turn the other cheek, yet his second coming is to be marked by the execution of every human on the planet except for 144,000 jewish virgin men.  Islam fancies itself a religion of peace, yet, well, you know, the obvious.

Even Sikhism says it is a peaceful religion.  Yet it's symbol is three swords crossed:
http://www.sikhnet.com/thegallery/gallery/d/60532-2/Sikh+Symbol+Khanda.png

yeah, yeah, yeah, they're symbolic and represent the one god, as well as the unity of spirit and the temporal world.[1]  But they could have picked peaceful symbols: flowers, or leaves, or just geometric designs.  Instead they picked weapons.  They're not really a religion of peace.  Theya are a religion of fighting.
 1. http://www.sikhs.org/khanda.htm
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +41/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 12:28:02 PM »
As the infuence of organized religion shrinks in the US, those that stick with it get louder and more conspiricy/fear driven.  Desperation will often drive such irrational behavior.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +271/-76
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 02:52:51 PM »
It's funny - all religions want to be called "religions of peace".  Yet, none of them really are.  jesus H said to turn the other cheek, yet his second coming is to be marked by the execution of every human on the planet except for 144,000 jewish virgin men.  Islam fancies itself a religion of peace, yet, well, you know, the obvious.

Even Sikhism says it is a peaceful religion.  Yet it's symbol is three swords crossed:
http://www.sikhnet.com/thegallery/gallery/d/60532-2/Sikh+Symbol+Khanda.png

yeah, yeah, yeah, they're symbolic and represent the one god, as well as the unity of spirit and the temporal world.[1]  But they could have picked peaceful symbols: flowers, or leaves, or just geometric designs.  Instead they picked weapons.  They're not really a religion of peace.  Theya are a religion of fighting.
 1. http://www.sikhs.org/khanda.htm

Christians have a torture device as their symbol, which I think makes them worse than those with swords. I mean swords can be used in defense or a quick death but a crucifix is meant to be torture.

;)

-Nam

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +164/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 07:25:26 PM »
One day, even Christianity will be too marginalized to even discuss.  Hopefully it won't get replaced by some New, New Testament crap, and some new hijacking of old mythology!

Psych...not in my lifetime!

Offline churchgoingatheist

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 10:55:36 PM »
My favorite part about Keyes' rant is the bizarre rationalization he uses to justify violence.  He claims that the Bible teaches people to return evil with good.  So revenge is frowned upon.  Ah! But if the evil is an insult to God--and he argues that any violence against a person is such because we are made in God's image--well then it's perfectly ok to return violence with violence because you're defending God.  It's not really revenge and it's not really evil then.  How easily they can talk themselves out of inconvenient rules of goodness.

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 12:13:30 PM »
My favorite part about Keyes' rant is the bizarre rationalization he uses to justify violence.  He claims that the Bible teaches people to return evil with good.  So revenge is frowned upon.  Ah! But if the evil is an insult to God--and he argues that any violence against a person is such because we are made in God's image--well then it's perfectly ok to return violence with violence because you're defending God.  It's not really revenge and it's not really evil then.  How easily they can talk themselves out of inconvenient rules of goodness.

Does God really need us puny humans to defend him?    :o
A true troll does not fear banning. Thanks GB

I pushed my soul in a deep dark hole and then I followed it in

Poverty is the parent of revolution and crime.
Aristotle