Author Topic: Wadjda - A Film In Saudi Arabia  (Read 338 times)

Offline shnozzola

Wadjda - A Film In Saudi Arabia
« on: April 28, 2013, 04:28:13 PM »

The film, about a young Saudi girl who hatches a plan so she can ride a bicycle in her conservative country, has been honored at the Venice Film Festival, the Dubai International Film Festival and the Gulf Film Festival. Haifaa al-Mansour, the first woman to direct a film in Saudi Arabia, was feted a week ago at the Tribeca Film Festival.

So how's the film doing in Saudi Arabia? Well, there are no movie theaters in the desert kingdom.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/04/28/179017766/the-challenges-of-making-a-film-in-saudi-arabia
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +312/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Wadjda - A Film In Saudi Arabia
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 08:21:23 PM »
"You can make a film here you just can't show it."

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 09:01:26 PM »
Wow.  Looks like a great film.  I'll keep my eye out for it on pay per view. 

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +312/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 10:32:19 PM »
I like Iranian films. Too bad the country aren't more like their films.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey