Author Topic: Payback  (Read 238 times)

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
Payback
« on: June 17, 2013, 08:59:50 AM »
Lol ... I should SO be a writer for WWE. I made an effort to stay away from twitter and FB until I had actually seen WWE Payback.
And I predicted the Cena match near perfectly.
Now, I do realise the need for WWE to cater to the pre-teen/early teen audience but damn, Cena matches are hard to watch, it's like that Batman series from the 60s ... on steroids ... all that's missing is the cartoonish *KAPOOOOOW* across the screen.

OTOH, Punk-Jericho ... by Crom, that's finger licking good.
People are calling it 'the match of the year' but I prefer Punk-Taker (narrowly, mind you).
Also, mad props to Jericho for that one ... I remember the way Christian lost the IC belt to The Miz ... what a lousy way to drop a belt.[1] But Jericho, in this one ... now that's losing with style!

Brian going a bit Ultimate ... erm ... Vegan ... priceless!

And the Mr. Perfect jr thing ... that was quite cute too.

All in all, good show, except for the main event.
 1. unless he was legit injured at the time ... he lost the return match way better, btw
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +125/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
Re: Payback
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 04:13:48 PM »
I used to love watching wrestling when I was little.  I was so impressed that my dad always knew who was going to win.  One of the few happy memories I have of my dad.  Then was a was a bit older I was able to impress my little brother with my prediction skills.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 07:11:10 PM »
Once I found out it was basically fake. I stopped watching it. However, I don't even enjoy boxing or kick fighting, and the like unless it's in film.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +125/-6
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 10:47:47 PM »
I haven't watched it for years but it is on after NCIS reruns (love me some Gibbs) and a couple weeks ago they kept advertising that Jerico and some other goon were going to have a dance off so I decided to watch.  Well the other goon & his partner went 1st and the bitch took a dive and then the fake fighting and chair throwing commenced and Jerico never did dance.  I was so pissed that I got sucked into that.  That was 20 minutes of my life I'll never get back.   >:(
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 01:25:26 AM »
Sure it's fake, but then again, so is every movie and TV show (including the 'reality' tv) you've ever watched.
Wrestlers are basically low grade superheroes, in a sense, each with their own superpowers. Certain moves don't do much damage, except when this one guy does it. Like Mysterio's 619 or when Taker goes for a stroll along the top rope. INSANE if you'd even TRY to use stuff like that in an actual fight but in the 'verse we agree that it works. Just like Spiderman would rip off his own arm if he, superpowers and all, would even try half the stuff he does. But as a reader, you agree to assume that the laws of physics don't apply to Spiderman (or anyone else for that matter).

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 05:31:40 AM »
Yes, but it's also a fixed fight. Makes it useless, in the end.

It's just excessive stunts. I'd rather watch stunts in a movie, or TV show. I don't even like Jackass. Though, not fake but overtly disgusting.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +125/-6
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 09:51:27 AM »
I think it's tongue in cheek fake.  Half the fun of it is the alleged drama the wrestlers create in the interviews-- the best ones have some decent acting skills like The Rock but the bad acting is also pretty fun to watch...

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 02:11:38 AM »
They're over-the-top heroes and villains. When done right, I quite like that sort of thing. Like in movies such as Desperado, Rocky I, Rambo I, Transporter, Kill Bill, where the hero wins the day by virtue of ... being the hero. Or indeed, perhaps the best of such movies ... Last action hero.
Examples where it doesn't work would be all the other Rocky and Rambo movies and every single Steven Seagull movie.

The best ubervillain I've ever come across has to be Ozymandias from Watchmen.[1] Jigsaw might qualify in the first Saw movie, but he's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over the top in all the others. Same story for Joe Caroll in The Hollowing ... first couple of episodes, he makes a perfect villain ... later on in the series, he becomes a cartoon character and rather Garfield than Spiderman.
This too happened in wrestling, btw ... late 80s, early 90s ... they turned everyone into a walking, talking gimmick. At least, WWE acknowledged this when they did their hilarious gimmick battle royal, featuring Mick Foley as Mankind ... and as Dude Love ... and as Cactus Jack.  :laugh:
 1. though it could be argued that he's more of a tweener, staying with wrestling terms