Author Topic: Ever Wonder what Evolution of Humanity Could Become Ultimately?  (Read 1062 times)

Offline DR HANS SCHWANTZ

• Freshman
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • Truth and Knowledge Seeker
If you are like me you like to explore future possibilities.

Well, if you are curious as to what others think the human species will eventually evolve into this link is for you: http://io9.com/5923342/10-of-the-weirdest-futurist-scenarios-for-the-evolution-of-humanity

Now I will send a caveat your way, this observation at the link was written by sci-fi writers and futurists, so it does not represent the whole spectrum of views. However, I am hoping some folks here will add input to what they think we could evolve into.

Some of the views were pretty interesting though.

Please add your views and links as to what you think humans could evolve into.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 04:46:20 PM by DR HANS SCHWANTZ »
I am not asking what is truth, even though I seek it, I will know when truth is in front of me, when it is internally consistent, coherent with knowledge, congruent with like experience, useful for helping me organize my thinking, this is all I can ask in seeking the truth.

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-0
  • IXNAY
Re: Ever Wonder what Evolution of Humanity Could Become Ultimately?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 08:59:40 PM »
I think man, in his present form, will cause his own extinction.  And religion will play a part.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +30/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 09:08:10 PM »
Hopefully mankind will depart this planet in the very near future and I don't mean by spaceship. We've become a cancer on the planet.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 09:09:21 PM »
Agree with backspace, however, I am hoping that we find a way for more efficient space travel before it happens... I imagine it being like Wall-E or any other Sci Fi movie where the humans are floating around on a space ship and after thousands of years they fly past an earth regenerated and full of foliage and life. The new Will Smith movie with his son is sposed to be like that.

However, I also question our evolution since we now more than ever can make our environment evolve to fit us...

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +30/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 09:14:55 PM »
Agree with backspace, however, I am hoping that we find a way for more efficient space travel before it happens... I imagine it being like Wall-E or any other Sci Fi movie where the humans are floating around on a space ship and after thousands of years they fly past an earth regenerated and full of foliage and life. The new Will Smith movie with his son is sposed to be like that.

However, I also question our evolution since we now more than ever can make our environment evolve to fit us...
   We'll repopulate the earth from that spaceship and proceed to destroy it again.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 09:41:01 PM »
Wow!  Such negative predictions. 

I imagine that we will have many difficult eras ahead of us as a species.  I think that we will leave earth and populate other planets, and that the residents of each foreign world will evolve in different ways, and perhaps billions of years in the future, our descendants residing on planet x will not even resemble our descendants residing on planet q. 

I hope that we do not destroy earth before this all happens, and that this beautiful, complex, amazing planet survives until our sun's life cycle ends. 

Can you imagine how we might evolve after millions or billions of years residing on other worlds?  Different gravity.  Different chemicals interacting with our bodies.  Survival traits among early generations based on resistance to some strange bacteria-ish thing, or resistance to particular effects of radiation, or something that we cannot even imagine in our wildest dreams.  Our descendants' eyes will become accustomed to a different kind of light.  Our eyes will change.  Our bodies will stretch out, or become more compact.  We will learn to bounce or roll to get from place to place.  Our brains, I hope, will continue to evolve, and we will know the answers to questions that right now, would not occur to us to ask. 

If there is any documentation of this era, and if there are historians who study it, they will be baffled by our silly fears and superstitions, and equally baffled by our lack of fear over our self-destructive behavior.   

I think we will survive as a species.  Perhaps we will branch out into various amazingly different species... as far from our current state as we are from the first amphibians who took a breath of air.   

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +732/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 10:38:13 PM »
I suspect that, should we survive our one most precious talent, environmental destruction, that we will end up merging with machines in some creepy way and then leave the planet, not as humans, but as nano-robots, able to hibernate through deep space travel and wake when we near a star system. Said machine versions of ourselves will keep our history just to help make sense of how we got there, but otherwise there won't be much human about any of it.

Of course some people will manage to avoid (or be deemed ineligible) for the transformation into information packets and mini-me's, and they will probably stick around for awhile, until the futility of it all gets the better of them as they give up trying to find clean enough water to wash their many wounds.

How's that for a bleak outlook? My goal today was to depress at least a dozen people. How'd I do?

Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 11:38:22 PM »
bm
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline kindred

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-5
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 03:47:23 AM »
I don't really get the personification of Earth thing.

The planet we live in is not some sort of sentient being and our actions that destroy or deal damage to it isn't some sort of "sin." Why not just call our destruction of the earth as that? We are wastefully using the Earth's resources leading to our own destruction and the destruction of powerless animals. Why so depressed about that? Animals would kill you and eat you if they could so why lament for their powerlessness?

Humans have chosen whether through sheer stupidity, ignorance or apathy to use our resources in a non-sustainable manner. So what? From, my perspective, the only problem here is that people who have done nothing to damage the Earth will have to deal with it's consequences.
"Keep calm and carry on"

"I trust you are not in too much distress"

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 09:07:52 AM »
I don't really get the personification of Earth thing.

The planet we live in is not some sort of sentient being and our actions that destroy or deal damage to it isn't some sort of "sin." Why not just call our destruction of the earth as that? We are wastefully using the Earth's resources leading to our own destruction and the destruction of powerless animals. Why so depressed about that? Animals would kill you and eat you if they could so why lament for their powerlessness?

Humans have chosen whether through sheer stupidity, ignorance or apathy to use our resources in a non-sustainable manner. So what? From, my perspective, the only problem here is that people who have done nothing to damage the Earth will have to deal with it's consequences.

I dont think anyone described it as sentient. Or described our destruction of it as sin... sin is a made up concept. But there is plenty reason to be depressed about destroying the only place that you know of that can sustain life, your own life and the lives of other beings that are not destroying something we ALL depend on. Frankly I cant understand how you cant see this is a problem.

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +17/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 02:10:57 PM »
It's awfully slow. So even if we somehow stick around another million years, and establish a stable maximum population wise, it still does not provide enough time for a major change.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 02:13:19 PM by Tero »

Offline DR HANS SCHWANTZ

• Freshman
  • Darwins +4/-2
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 05:20:07 PM »
"Humans have chosen whether through sheer stupidity, ignorance or apathy to use our resources in a non-sustainable manner. So what? From, my perspective, the only problem here is that people who have done nothing to damage the Earth will have to deal with it's consequences. "

That is the problem I can gather from your statement above. 

The people that did not want or have done nothing to damage the earth have to deal with the consequences. It would be the same if you were my neighbour and I decided to drill for oil in my yard. Now when I drill I produce toxic oil spills that eventually seep into your yard and water supply. I have directly affected your health and life without your permission. I assume you would be very upset with me for doing so. You would be upset of course because your very survival as a human is being threatened by my apathy to what I am doing in my yard that is causing you direct harm to your very life. 

I believe it is more an infringement on our basic human needs (for survival) to clean water, air, safe foods etc. when the resources are used in a non-sustainable manner.

I assume of course that we as a species do want to live on and do mind if our only place to live so far is becoming unfit for this purpose.   

Sin and all other words used to describe the harm done to earth do not apply here in my opinion as I stated above, the issue is simply that we do not cause damage to our only place we have to call home or face extinction if this earth becomes uninhabitable as a result of our ignorance in using the only resources we have to survive. Look at Chernobyl and how an entire community was displaced as a result of the disaster there.

This is my opinion on this subject
I am not asking what is truth, even though I seek it, I will know when truth is in front of me, when it is internally consistent, coherent with knowledge, congruent with like experience, useful for helping me organize my thinking, this is all I can ask in seeking the truth.

Offline DR HANS SCHWANTZ

• Freshman
  • Darwins +4/-2
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 05:40:36 PM »
"Can you imagine how we might evolve after millions or billions of years residing on other worlds?  Different gravity.  Different chemicals interacting with our bodies.  Survival traits among early generations based on resistance to some strange bacteria-ish thing, or resistance to particular effects of radiation, or something that we cannot even imagine in our wildest dreams.  Our descendants' eyes will become accustomed to a different kind of light.  Our eyes will change.  Our bodies will stretch out, or become more compact.  We will learn to bounce or roll to get from place to place.  Our brains, I hope, will continue to evolve, and we will know the answers to questions that right now, would not occur to us to ask."

I agree with your statement.

I personally would like to see a more efficient evolved form for us that is not subject to so much problems with sustaining it. Imagine what you could accomplish if you did not need sleep, health problems due to organs breaking down, disease to attack our human host, etc. Keep our brain power and/or increase it, but evolve it into a more efficient host. Now that would be something to look forward to.

I would if it were possible right now, transfer my brain into a cyborg type entity like Data on Star Trek the Next Generation and then I could travel into space with my replacement parts as needed to see what is out there. It really bothers me that I cannot travel into space to really see what is in the far reaches of the galaxy.     

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +256/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 07:13:44 PM »
I'd be particularly interested to see what happens to the human body over the coming generations.  As it stands now, with modern medicine we've achieved an uneasy truce with ourselves, using pharmaceuticals and surgery to offset some of the weaknesses but not necessarily fixing them -- And in virtually all cases the fixes are not heritable because they don't address the underlying genetics.

If we do figure out a way to accurately and consistently manipulate human phenotypes, and decide to practice a more hands-on version of evolution at the DNA level, how fast do we go down that path?  Do we fix one major problem at a time, such as tendency to atherosclerosis or diabetes, or tinker with many things at once?

And will we have the patience to wait to see the effects of a change over several generations, or will we do something irreparably stupid  -- Say, fixing a liver problem with a genetics hack that renders the offspring sterile?
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 07:58:43 PM »
I use to wonder about that also.  Had great visions of human kind and where we were going.  Then FOX News and the nuts on radio came along and now I just hope we can keep from devolving.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 09:38:03 AM »
I am persuaded that self awareness coupled with intelligence has a way of stunting the natural evolutionary process. People tend to want to hold on to the status quo and fight to preserve their norms, mores, and what they consider a normal. The only type of evolution that I believe we can expect is if we (a portion of us that is) continue to develop and implement ways we can interface with and become one with machinary.

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +75/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 11:37:23 PM »
I am persuaded that self awareness coupled with intelligence has a way of stunting the natural evolutionary process. People tend to want to hold on to the status quo and fight to preserve their norms, mores, and what they consider a normal. The only type of evolution that I believe we can expect is if we (a portion of us that is) continue to develop and implement ways we can interface with and become one with machinary.

Could you define what you mean by "stunting"? Biological (as distinct from cultural) evolution is an ongoing process, and though humans could be said to be directing certain parts of that process, we're not (yet) in control of it.

Human evolution continues on its mostly undirected way. Until we can rewrite our descendants' genes at will, that won't change. And what's considered "normal" (socially and culturally) changes from generation to generation, or even year to year.

Machine-based transhumanism could be one route for the future, but even if it happened, undirected evolution would still occur. Mutation and natural selection can't be eliminated in this universe. Or if they can, no one's got round to it just yet.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 05:43:45 PM »
I'd be particularly interested to see what happens to the human body over the coming generations.  As it stands now, with modern medicine we've achieved an uneasy truce with ourselves, using pharmaceuticals and surgery to offset some of the weaknesses but not necessarily fixing them -- And in virtually all cases the fixes are not heritable because they don't address the underlying genetics.

If we do figure out a way to accurately and consistently manipulate human phenotypes, and decide to practice a more hands-on version of evolution at the DNA level, how fast do we go down that path?  Do we fix one major problem at a time, such as tendency to atherosclerosis or diabetes, or tinker with many things at once?

And will we have the patience to wait to see the effects of a change over several generations, or will we do something irreparably stupid  -- Say, fixing a liver problem with a genetics hack that renders the offspring sterile?

There is no profit in curing disease.  Therefore I don't think the pharmaceutical companies and whoever else makes money off of sick people will ever allow any real cures to happen.  They will make sure the politicians and other officials on their payroll prevent it somehow.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.