Author Topic: What about the Americas?  (Read 1385 times)

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +355/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
Re: What about the Americas?
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2014, 05:01:10 PM »
And young earthers care to clarify any of this for me?  Surely I'm missing something here.

That thing you're missing is called 'credulity'.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2014, 05:01:39 PM »

Leonard Cohen is required to combat the evil of Twain.

Huh. I enjoyed reading Huckleberry Finn.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +846/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2014, 05:48:12 PM »
I'll throw in Shatner. Although it will hurt my back.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +654/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2014, 08:56:47 AM »
Rush,

don't get me started. I hate Rush. Both of them.

As for limbaugh, even if he is "American", I'd still like to deport him to some horrid central american hole.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2014, 07:54:39 PM »
How can anybody hate Rush (not Limbaugh) the Band?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +263/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2014, 12:41:32 AM »
How can anybody hate Rush (not Limbaugh) the Band?

I don't actually hate Rush, but I only like a few of their older songs -- Geddy Lee's voice tends to grate on the nerves; in fact, at certain pitches it's eerily reminiscent of the character of Luther[1] (played by David Patrick Kelly) in The Warriors.  Like Lee's bass playing, though.

Thanks, everyone, for reminding Me that the good in Canadian music far outweighs the bad.  I was a fervent Guess Who fan through the first half of the '70s and in fact attended the last concert they played before they broke up in 1975.  April Wine... Hell, yeah. (I especially like the song "Refuge" from the album On Record.)  Love TPOH's first album.  Other favourites include Saga, Mood Jga Jga, Harmonium, Neil Young, and of course the (in)famous song "As the Years Go By" by Mashmakhan.

And then there are all the folk, jazz and classical artists...

1. "Warriors... Come out to play-ee-ay!"
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2014, 12:56:31 AM »
The best instrumental in rock history

There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +846/-6
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2014, 09:07:20 PM »
^^^This is an awesome track. Thanks, 12.

Okay, I admit it. I am a Rush fan, dating back to my college days when my white friends first introduced me to what is now known as "classic rock".  I know that most people mainly hear the guitars and bass, but I listen past all that noise. I am even willing to put up with the faux-libertarian-themed lyrics they favor. And whiny-voiced Geddy Lee.

Because, as you know, if there was a god, he would play drums like Neil Peart.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2014, 09:31:04 PM »
^^^This is an awesome track. Thanks, 12.

Okay, I admit it. I am a Rush fan, dating back to my college days when my white friends first introduced me to what is now known as "classic rock".  I know that most people mainly hear the guitars and bass, but I listen past all that noise. I am even willing to put up with the faux-libertarian-themed lyrics they favor. And whiny-voiced Geddy Lee.

Because, as you know, if there was a god, he would play drums like Neil Peart.

Wait, wait, wait! You're not white?

:P

I just bought today a Wham! cd. How lame am I?

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +654/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2014, 09:53:45 PM »

Pretty lame.  But less lame than if you'd bought a Rush cd.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2014, 10:08:09 PM »

I also got a Tiffany album. I'M SO LAME!

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +846/-6
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2014, 07:47:33 PM »

Hey, hey, hey! Neil Peart will play a drum solo that will smite you into your next life!  >:(

Next thing you'll be dissin' on the rest of my classic rock white boys, like REO Speedwagon. Or Cheap Trick. Or Styx. Or Journey. Or Yes. Or Pink Floyd. Or Boston. Or Genesis. Or Jethro Tull. Or Aerosmith.

Well, okay, I guess you can diss on Aerosmith.  :-\

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2014, 07:50:40 PM »
I said this 7 years ago at the old wwgha: Pink Floyd sucks.

Smite away!

;)

-Nam

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +654/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2014, 12:13:20 AM »
Hey, hey, hey! Neil Peart will play a drum solo that will smite you into your next life!

Sorry, but I'm not even sure what that means.  I must have really pushed your buttons to make you incoherent...

Next thing you'll be dissin' on the rest of my classic rock white boys, like REO Speedwagon. Or Cheap Trick. Or Styx.

I will absolutely dis all of these three.  They mostly suck, with a listenable song here and there. (I want you to want me...)

Or Journey. Or Yes.

Nah.  I like those guys

Or Pink Floyd.

To quote the late, great RaymondKHessel, you don't fuck with the Floyd.  I'd probably be willing to get into a fistfight over Pink Floyd.

Or Boston. 

Nope.  I have always liked Boston, despite being named after a city of degenerates and losers.

Or Genesis. 

I will dis the post-Gabriel version of them to my heart's content.

Or Jethro Tull. 

Like them too

Or Aerosmith. 

Meh.  They're hit and miss.  If I never hear dream on again in my life, or any of their other sell out songs from the 90s, that'd be okay with me.  Draw the line? Love it.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +263/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2014, 12:17:11 AM »
Next thing you'll be dissin' on the rest of my classic rock white boys, like REO Speedwagon. Or Cheap Trick. Or Styx. Or Journey. Or Yes. Or Pink Floyd. Or Boston. Or Genesis. Or Jethro Tull. Or Aerosmith.

Well, okay, I guess you can diss on Aerosmith.  :-\

I saw Yes live, back in April '79.  Got tickets in the second row, right by Rick Wakeman's Stack O' Many Keyboards.

There was a trap door in the stage, and at one point a roadie opened the hatch and passed Wakeman what appeared to be a mug of beer.  I also learned a neat trick for playing multiple keyboard parts when one doesn't have enough hands to go around:  To play long chords, weigh down a few keys with pedal steel guitar slides.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2014, 12:50:50 AM »
Screwtape,

Nam raises his fists

;)

-Nam

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +846/-6
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2014, 06:06:40 PM »
Those bands I listed have at least one song each that make me happy. Not for musical taste, but because they remind me of the good times of my younger years.....

Now, let's start on 1980's dance and disco music! Prince and the Time, anyone? Jungle love, baby! :police:

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2014, 09:45:55 PM »
Those bands I listed have at least one song each that make me happy. Not for musical taste, but because they remind me of the good times of my younger years.....

Now, let's start on 1980's dance and disco music! Prince and the Time, anyone? Jungle love, baby! :police:

Purple Rain sucked. The soundtrack was okay, tho.

-Nam

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +654/-28
  • Karma mooch
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline periboob

« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2014, 10:34:32 PM »
Had just finished setting up my play list for the background for my evening reading... Then I read this thread, and my play list includes Aerosmith (Living on the Edge), and Pink Floyd (On the Turning Away). The idea that anyone can not like these songs is as puzzling as the differences in human systems of religious belief.
'Everything has been said, but nobody listens and we have to keep going over it again.' André Gide

'No one listen, and if you try it for a while you'll see why.' Mignon McLaughlin

'There is no point in listening to others. They are either agreeing with you, or saying stupid stuff.' Dogbert

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2014, 01:02:56 AM »
Screwtape likes Perry Como and Franky Avalon I am thinking.....throw in some Meatloaf and some air supply too???

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2014, 01:09:12 AM »
Screwtape,

Nam raises his fists

http://funnyasduck.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/funny-old-boxer-meme-bitch-mittens-01.jpg

I haven't fought anyone in years, but, let me just say I may start with the fists but I fight dirty...feces and everything[1].

-Nam
 1. I kid I kid

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +654/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2014, 10:18:15 AM »
Screwtape likes Perry Como and Franky Avalon I am thinking.....throw in some Meatloaf and some air supply too???

I'm not much into any of the above except Meatloaf, whom I like, but do not have any of his recordings.  I have pretty ecclectic tastes.  Bach, Beethoven, Hayden, Wagner, ZZ Top, Rob Zombie, social distortion, Ramones, NOFX, Lady Gaga, Pink, Madonna's later stuff, Neil Young, led zep, Pink Floyd (even the weird early experimental stuff with Syd), Little Richard's early stuff, John Lee Hooker, Howlin Wolf, SRV, Radiohead (omg, I love radiohead). 

I never learned to appreciate hip hop, reggae, Big Band or most jazz.

I haven't fought anyone in years, but, let me just say I may start with the fists but I fight dirty...

yeah, me too.  I wouldn't actually fight anyone over pink floyd. 
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +355/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2014, 10:30:27 AM »
Had just finished setting up my play list for the background for my evening reading... Then I read this thread, and my play list includes Aerosmith (Living on the Edge), and Pink Floyd (On the Turning Away). The idea that anyone can not like these songs is as puzzling as the differences in human systems of religious belief.

I will say that I do not simply 'not like' that Aerosmith song.  I revile it.

I cannot think of a single Aerosmith song (that did not involve Run-D.M.C.) that I can say that I enjoy.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +95/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2014, 02:44:59 PM »
Man, taste is a funny thing!!
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +846/-6
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2014, 06:04:30 PM »
My list of white boy bands (and black boy bands, for that matter) that I don't like is way longer than my list of faves. No metal, folk, K-pop, country, reggae, jazz-- or hip hop for the most part-- would ever make my playlist. So Alabama, ACDC and ZZ Top and any band my daughter likes are right out.

But I can listen to most classical music.  I like a lot of world music from African and Latin pop groups. And the Beatles, REM, Morris Day and Lyle Lovett make the cut.

Again, no accounting for taste. :-\

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2014, 10:21:13 PM »
My list of white boy bands (and black boy bands, for that matter) that I don't like is way longer than my list of faves. No metal, folk, K-pop, country, reggae, jazz-- or hip hop for the most part-- would ever make my playlist. So Alabama, ACDC and ZZ Top and any band my daughter likes are right out.

But I can listen to most classical music.  I like a lot of world music from African and Latin pop groups. And the Beatles, REM, Morris Day and Lyle Lovett make the cut.

Again, no accounting for taste. :-\

My brother's sort like you but he won't admit he actually likes some genres or at least some acts in certain genres but I know, and he knows I know but still won't admit it.

-Nam