Author Topic: Conan the Bacterium  (Read 190 times)

Offline DR HANS SCHWANTZ

• Freshman
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • Truth and Knowledge Seeker
Conan the Bacterium
« on: April 25, 2013, 11:22:54 AM »
Here is a very interesting organism that can survive a huge radiation exposure and be none the worse for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinococcus_radiodurans

And all this was discovered from experiments to a tin of meat.

The only thing I did not learn was if the tin of meat was SPAM?  :)
I am not asking what is truth, even though I seek it, I will know when truth is in front of me, when it is internally consistent, coherent with knowledge, congruent with like experience, useful for helping me organize my thinking, this is all I can ask in seeking the truth.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
Re: Conan the Bacterium
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 11:40:16 AM »
Oh yes, radiodurans: extremist of the extremophiles! Organisms like that give me hope of finding life on Mars or the Jovian / Saturnian moons, perhaps within my lifetime.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline DR HANS SCHWANTZ

• Freshman
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • Truth and Knowledge Seeker
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 02:50:47 PM »
"Oh yes, radiodurans: extremist of the extremophiles! Organisms like that give me hope of finding life on Mars or the Jovian / Saturnian moons, perhaps within my lifetime. "

I agree. Makes one really wonder if we could venture out into space for a long voyage exactly what we could and would find.

I am not asking what is truth, even though I seek it, I will know when truth is in front of me, when it is internally consistent, coherent with knowledge, congruent with like experience, useful for helping me organize my thinking, this is all I can ask in seeking the truth.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 12:59:42 AM »
On the old forum, someone said there definitely wasn't life on Mars. He argued that life was so pervasive that on any world where it existed, it should be everywhere. Since our probes hadn't found it, it just wasn't there.

Others countered (and I agreed) that just because life was relatively prolifigate on Earth, there was no reason to assume that would be true elsewhere. Mars life might exist in subsurface ice, or caves; it might be a planet of what we would call extremophiles. Or it might be more like Terrestrial viruses, which are arguably not "alive" as we usually define the term (as pointed out in the thread started by One Above All).

Seriously, radiodurans gives me a not-unpleasant chill: if such an organism can exist here, why not elsewhere?
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Greenandwhite

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +5/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 01:05:31 AM »
I found the idea at the end of the article very intriguing: use the deinococcus bacterium to store information that would then be able to survive a nuclear catastrophe - maybe there is a good use for junk DNA afterall